Chapters 1 and 2
• Raymond Davis Garraty arrives in a guarded parking lot and is allowed to enter.
• As Garraty watches a guard eat C rations, he realizes that he's actually there and one of the Walkers.
• His mother once again asks him to change his mind, but Garraty reminds her that it's too late.
• Garraty meets a boy named McVries, and they sit next to some other boys who talk about the walk.
• A boy in a pine tree eats jelly sandwiches and watches the others; he is Stebbins.
• Hank Olson says that the secret to the walk is to adjust, but tells the others about a kid who froze at the starting line two years and was "given his ticket" two minutes after the walk started.
• The Major arrives and reminds them of Hint 13: to conserve energy whenever possible.
• He calls the boys alphabetically by last name and...
This section contains 2,801 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)