|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose example did Day want to follow when working with the poor?
2. What kind of houses did Peter create?
3. What did Day think was lacking in the church at times?
4. What worried the staff at the Catholic Worker when the war ended?
5. What did Day say always checked the power of dictators?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Day move to California for a time?
2. How did Father Zachary help Day?
3. Why did Day begin going to retreats?
4. What did Day do at these retreats?
5. How did the Catholic Worker overcome the difficulty they faced when Peter died?
6. What connection did Day have with Eleanor Roosevelt?
7. What caused Day to start praying daily?
8. What does Day hope readers would take from this book?
9. What surprised Day at Steve’s death?
10. What difficulty did the Catholic Worker face when Peter died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Day described her journey to religion in this book. What was this journey like and how did it begin?
Essay Topic 2
Day was very close to her family while growing up. How did this closeness define her life and her search for religion?
Essay Topic 3
Day was ashamed of the way she took comfort in while in prison. How did she find comfort, and why was she so ashamed?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)