|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Mary tell Day stories about?
2. What comforted Day the most while in prison?
3. What natural disaster did Day live through?
4. What kind of things did Day work to change when she first moved to New York?
5. How old was Day when she began reading John Wesley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first job Day held in New York City?
2. How did Day say she viewed this book at the beginning?
3. How did Day feel about Emma Goldman, and why?
4. Who was Trotsky, and how did Day meet him?
5. What was Day imprisoned for?
6. What was The Masses?
7. How did Day comfort herself in prison, and how did this make her feel?
8. What were the results of the agitations Day was involved in?
9. What changed in Day’s life after the earthquake?
10. What was Day exposed to for the first time through her friendship with Raph and Reyna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Day gave a description of how she felt service should be given. How did she say we should serve others, and what was her reason for this?
Essay Topic 2
Purity is a main theme of this book. How is this theme presented, and why would this be so central in a plot like this?
Essay Topic 3
Day described her journey to religion in this book. What was this journey like and how did it begin?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)