|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator receive five shillings to buy?
2. What does Smith say the upperclass sit in their houses like?
3. Where is Smith from originally?
4. What do the two girls call Ernest?
5. What does Smith believe counts in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What regrets does Mr. Raynor express at the end of the story?
2. How do the two girls manipulate Ernest?
3. How does Ernest befriend the two girls?
4. Why does Mr. Raynor think he is a good disciplinarian?
5. Why does Raynor want to punish Bullivant?
6. Describe Harry's last fight with Kathy?
7. How is Smith caught with the money he steals from the butchers?
8. What is the girls' family life like?
9. Why does Colin agree to run in a competition for Borstal?
10. How does Kathy die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the book?
Essay Topic 3
What does football mean to Lennox? In what way does he use football to hide his real problems?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)