|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the middle-aged man always speak in one breath?
2. What does Smith rob with his friend?
3. What does Mr. Raynor call Bullivant?
4. What does Smith think he will be forced to join after leaving Borstal?
5. What is the first question Ernest asks the girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Ernest a ghost of his former self?
2. Describe Harry's last fight with Kathy?
3. How is Smith caught with the money he steals from the butchers?
4. What does Mr. Raynor see happening in the Draper's shop at the beginning of the story?
5. Why does Smith say he wrote this story?
6. What does Harry remember about his marriage to Kathy?
7. What does Harry think about Kathy's death?
8. What do the policemen tell Ernest at the end of the story?
9. Why does Mr. Raynor think he is a good disciplinarian?
10. What is Smith's attitutude when the policeman confronts him about the robbery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the stories say about life in northern England in pre-war Britain? How does northern England differ from southern England? What conflicts are there between the two areas and why?
Essay Topic 2
In what do Colin and Bert's characters differ? How do the students think Bert and Colin's relationship develop as they grow older? In what way could they influence affect each other both negatively and positively?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the following phrase; a ghost of your former self; What does the phrase mean and to which stories does the phrase refer to? How does becong this person affect others more that it does the person?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)