|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the elder girl look at Ernest when he offers to buy her sister something to eat?
2. What does the middle-aged man always speak in one breath?
3. What does Smith say his enemies can drop on him for all he cares?
4. Where does Harry's wife throw his book?
5. What has been the narrator's job for the past twenty-eight years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harry's last fight with Kathy?
2. How does Harry know that Kathy wants money for beer?
3. In what way is Ernest a ghost of his former self?
4. What is the girls' family life like?
5. Why does Colin agree to run in a competition for Borstal?
6. What is Borstal?
7. How does Mr. Raynor reward Robinson?
8. Why do people start suspecting Ernest's intentions towards the young girls?
9. What does Mr. Raynor see happening in the Draper's shop at the beginning of the story?
10. How does Bullivant react to Raynor beating him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How was paediphilia viewed in fifties Britain? How would the authorities deal with someone like Jim in today's Britain?
Essay Topic 3
What was Lennox marriage like in the beginning and how and why did it fall apart? What does Fred marriage symbolize in this same book?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)