|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mt. Raynor look at through the classroom window?
2. What does Smith say he was born into?
3. Where does Mr. Raynor hit Bullivant?
4. Who does Harry's wife run off with?
5. What color jackets do Hucknall school wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Ernest a ghost of his former self?
2. How does Harry know that Kathy wants money for beer?
3. Why does Mr. Raynor think he is a good disciplinarian?
4. How do Smith and Smith steal the money from the butchers?
5. What is the girls' family life like?
6. What does Harry think about Kathy's death?
7. How does the writer decribe Ernest's appearance?
8. How does Kathy die?
9. What does Harry remember about his marriage to Kathy?
10. How does Mr. Raynor reward Robinson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an anti-hero? In what way can Smith be called an anti-hero? Why does the use of an anti-hero work so well in Loneliness of a long Distance Rinner?
Essay Topic 2
What do the stories say about life in northern England in pre-war Britain? How does northern England differ from southern England? What conflicts are there between the two areas and why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the book?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)