|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smith say he was doing while the robbery took place?
2. What ideas does Mr. Raynor want to get out of Bullivant's head?
3. What does Harry say is a stroke of God's luck?
4. What does Bullivant say he will bring out to settle Mr. Raynor?
5. What do the narrator and his wife throw at each other during arguments?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Smith say he wrote this story?
2. How is Smith caught with the money he steals from the butchers?
3. Why does Colin agree to run in a competition for Borstal?
4. How does Kathy die?
5. Describe the meeting between Harry and Kathy ten years later.
6. Describe Harry's last fight with Kathy?
7. How does the governor make Smith's life a misery for the rest of the time he is at Borstal?
8. What is Ernest's routine?
9. What regrets does Mr. Raynor express at the end of the story?
10. What is Smith's attitutude when the policeman confronts him about the robbery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was suicide seen as a criminal offense in England? What lead to suicide becoming legalized?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Kathy and Harry find it so difficult to express their love for each other? What does this express about marraige during this time?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)