|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been the narrator's job for the past twenty-eight years?
2. What does Ernest say people he meets treat him like?
3. What is Harry doing when his wife tells him she loves him?
4. What does Smith say he was born into?
5. What is the name of the person who owns the draper shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the writer decribe Ernest's appearance?
2. What point does Smith make about honesty?
3. Why do Mr. Raynor's pupils no longer bother to sneer at him for his well-known habit of staring at the drapery girls?
4. What is the girls' family life like?
5. How does the governor make Smith's life a misery for the rest of the time he is at Borstal?
6. How does Ernest befriend the two girls?
7. How do Smith and Smith steal the money from the butchers?
8. Describe the meeting between Harry and Kathy ten years later.
9. Why do people start suspecting Ernest's intentions towards the young girls?
10. Why does Colin agree to run in a competition for Borstal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the British class system.
1. What points does Sillitoe make about the British class system?
2. Why is it so difficult for two classes to get on together?
3. How have peoples' attitudes towards class changed in the different time periods portrayed in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How was paediphilia viewed in fifties Britain? How would the authorities deal with someone like Jim in today's Britain?
Essay Topic 3
What does football mean to Lennox? In what way does he use football to hide his real problems?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)