|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smith say he can taste in the back of his mouth?
2. What does Smith say his enemies can drop on him for all he cares?
3. Who does Smith always say good mrning to while he is out on his run?
4. What kind of weapon does Smith compare Borstal to?
5. What does Smith think he will be forced to join after leaving Borstal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harry's last fight with Kathy?
2. Why does Smith say he wrote this story?
3. How does Ernest befriend the two girls?
4. What is Ernest's routine?
5. How do Smith and Smith steal the money from the butchers?
6. Why does Mr. Raynor think he is a good disciplinarian?
7. What does Mr. Raynor see happening in the Draper's shop at the beginning of the story?
8. In what way is Ernest a ghost of his former self?
9. What regrets does Mr. Raynor express at the end of the story?
10. What does Harry think about Kathy's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what do Colin and Bert's characters differ? How do the students think Bert and Colin's relationship develop as they grow older? In what way could they influence affect each other both negatively and positively?
Essay Topic 2
What do the stories say about life in northern England in pre-war Britain? How does northern England differ from southern England? What conflicts are there between the two areas and why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the book?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)