|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say Jim's mother cannot touch Phylis with?
(a) A poker.
(b) A barge pole.
(c) A rope.
(d) A finger.
2. What does the narrator say you can't hold to forever?
(a) Your past.
(b) Your mam's apron strings.
(c) Your future.
(d) Your father's coat tails.
3. What does Fred say ninety-five thousand quid has gone up like?
(a) London fog.
(b) Goal hangers.
(c) Arsenal defenders.
(d) Scotch mist.
4. What is the top and back of Bert's head padded by?
(a) Hair transplants.
(d) Overgrown hair.
5. What does the author say Ruby is plump like?
(a) A peach.
(b) A pear.
(c) A pudding.
(d) A jelly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fred Iremonger's job?
2. What kind of snake does the African woman have curled around her top?
3. What kind of life does the narrator say his father leads his mother?
4. What has Lennox's wife cooked for dinner?
5. Why does Lennox have a feeling Notts County will lose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator think his father would never kill himself?
2. Why does the man want to kill himself?
3. Why is Lennox so upset at the beginning of this story?
4. Why does the narrator come back to the man's house?
5. How do Lennox and Fred's views on marriage differ?
6. How does Jim's mother react to him telling her he is getting married?
7. How does the narrator describe Jim's mother?
8. What are Fred and wife's views about what is happening next door?
9. Why do Lennox's workmates tease him?
10. What is Bert's plan to cheat at the penny game?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)