|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say Colin's legs are like as he tries to escape with Bert?
2. What ride does Colin want to try?
(a) Mad Hatter.
(b) The Gunner.
(c) The Catherine Wheel.
(d) Noah's Ark.
3. Who are Notts County playing in this book?
(a) Bristol City.
(b) Stoke City.
(c) Cambridge Utd.
4. What does the narrator's father suggest the narrator does to cheer himself up?
(a) Drink a cup of tea.
(b) Have a wash.
(c) Go to bed.
(d) Go to a party.
5. What does the narrator say you can't hold to forever?
(a) Your future.
(b) Your father's coat tails.
(c) Your mam's apron strings.
(d) Your past.
6. What is the real reason the narrator feels black?
(a) He has lost his wallet.
(b) His girlfriend has dumped him.
(c) He has seen a man kill himself.
(d) He hasn't been to the pictures.
7. What does Colin think his father would take with a smile?
(a) A cup of tea.
(b) A cheese sandwich.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) Four pence.
8. What does Lennox say he needs to take to the games?
(b) A flask.
(c) A scarf.
9. What does Fred say he needs to mend?
(a) His car.
(b) His staircase.
(c) His bookshelves.
(d) His bike.
10. What does Fred say he is not one to grumble about?
(a) His job.
(b) His team.
(c) His wife.
(d) His grub.
11. Why does the woman think the goal should have been disallowed?
(a) It was offside.
(b) It wasn't over the line.
(c) It was a foul.
(d) The ref had blown his whistle.
12. What smell makes Lennox feel hungry?
(a) Steak and kidney.
(c) Fish and chips.
13. Why does the narrator think his father could never kill himself?
(a) He has too many friends.
(b) He is too much of a coward.
(c) He could never get the look of death.
(d) He faces up to his problems.
14. What does the man tell the narrator to shut?
(a) His coat.
(b) His bag.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His gob.
15. What football position does the narrator compare his running at the chair to?
(a) Center forward.
(b) Center back.
(d) Right back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim say is the first thing him and Phylis need to do?
2. What does the author say Jones's brain is like?
3. What can four pence buy a pound of?
4. What color does the narrator say his family turns when they are fed-up?
5. What kind of snake does the African woman have curled around her top?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)