|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest have to do at two o'clock?
(a) Catch a train.
(b) Meet his mother.
(c) Start work.
(d) Eat lunch.
2. What does Smith say the upperclass sit in their houses like?
3. What did the narrator do as soon as he found a job?
(b) Went on holiday.
(c) Bought a house.
(d) Left home.
4. What does Harry's wife say reading is bad for?
(c) Social life.
5. What were dead and dying men straggling in the First World War?
(b) Trip wire.
(c) Barbed wire.
(d) Metal fencing.
6. What sound does Smith say his feet make on the hard soil?
7. What does the young girl want to eat?
(a) A chocolate.
(b) A bicuit.
(c) A cake.
(d) A sandwich.
8. What does Smith say the governor talks to him like?
(a) A football fan.
(b) A small child.
(c) A prize race horse.
(d) A celebrity.
9. What disease does Smith contract at the end of the book?
10. What is the middle-aged man coming out of at the beginning of the book?
(a) The church.
(b) The library.
(c) A cave.
(d) The public lavatory.
11. Where does Ernest think he should have died?
12. What is the students' next class?
13. How does the author describe the color of Ernest's eyes?
(a) A daring red.
(b) An unhealthy yellow.
(c) A viscious black.
(d) A sharp blue.
14. What do the two girls call Ernest?
(a) Saint Ern.
(b) Uncle Ernest.
(c) Second Dad.
(d) Father Ernie.
15. Who does the book belong to?
(a) Harry's boss.
(b) The bookshop.
(c) Harry's father.
(d) The library.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tea boy carrying?
2. What kind of weapon does Smith compare Borstal to?
3. What is Ernest not yet accustomed to?
4. How did the young girl die?
5. What is the cleanest thing about the middle-aged man?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)