|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many fireballs does Marcus have Blaze make in Chapter 27?
2. When Ronnie tells Will about her problems, he is sympathetic and offers to go where with her in Chapter 21?
3. What does Ronnie announce she wants to do in Chapter 33?
4. What does Ronnie offer Blaze before leaving her in Chapter 26?
5. What does Ronnie feel Will's mother thinks of her in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Scott pressuring Will in Chapter 18? Why does Will succumb to this pressure?
2. What does Will come to appreciate about Ronnie in Chapter 20?
3. What does Ronnie discuss with her father at the hospital in Chapter 33?
4. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
5. How does Will perform in the volleyball tournament in Chapter 28? What distraction takes Will out of the game?
6. What plan does Marcus develop in Chapter 27? What is his objective?
7. What argument takes place between Ronnie and Kim in Chapter 33? What does Ronnie discover?
8. Who comes to the aid of Ronnie and Jonah while their father is in the hospital in Chapter 31? How?
9. What does Will do after leaving the hospital in Chapter 28? What confrontations does he have?
10. What deal do Ronnie and Will make in Chapter 23? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the narrative voice in "The Last Song" and the element of foreshadowing in the Prologue. What does the reader know from the beginning? From whose perspective is the story related? Is the point of view omniscient or limited? What impact does this style have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Ronnie. How old is Ronnie as the novel begins? Where is she going, and how does she feel about her father? What is Ronnie's history in New York, and what legal problems does she have there?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the rising action of the novel. When does the novel shift from exposition to an active plot? What new conflicts does Ronnie face in the reading? Also, discuss Scott's actions in Chapters 23 and 24 and the importance of the volleyball tournament. What does Scott want to get out of the tournament and why does he need Will's assistance?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)