|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Will go and ask a favor from after Ronnie ends their relationship in Chapter 32?
2. Where does Ronnie invite Will to dinner in Chapter 18?
3. Who stops by the next day to marvel at the work the kids have done in Chapter 32?
4. When considering the differences between Ronnie and his ex-girlfriend, Will concludes that Ronnie is more what, in Chapter 20?
5. In Chapter 24, Ronnie goes where and finds her father working?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Ronnie's character arc developed by Chapter 21? What changes has she undergone?
2. What deal do Ronnie and Will make in Chapter 23? Why?
3. How does Ronnie feel upon departing the wedding in Chapter 26? What actions does she take?
4. What internal conflicts and external obstacles does Ronnie face in Chapter 26?
5. Why is Scott pressuring Will in Chapter 18? Why does Will succumb to this pressure?
6. What confrontation does Scott have with Will in Chapter 18? How does Ronnie interrupt the conversation?
7. What are Ronnie's impressions of Will's family in Chapter 19?
8. What plan does Marcus develop in Chapter 27? What is his objective?
9. What do Ronnie and Will spend the day doing in Chapter 21? What do they talk about?
10. What revelations does Steve have in Chapter 25 regarding his children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the narrative voice in "The Last Song" and the element of foreshadowing in the Prologue. What does the reader know from the beginning? From whose perspective is the story related? Is the point of view omniscient or limited? What impact does this style have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the rising action of the novel. When does the novel shift from exposition to an active plot? What new conflicts does Ronnie face in the reading? Also, discuss Scott's actions in Chapters 23 and 24 and the importance of the volleyball tournament. What does Scott want to get out of the tournament and why does he need Will's assistance?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify irony in the novel. Why is it ironic that Ronnie and Will come to Blaze's rescue in Chapter 28? What are the different forms of irony in literature? How are each implemented in the novel?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)