|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 30, the narrator states that Steve learned when that he was dying?
2. When Ronnie tells Will about her problems, he is sympathetic and offers to go where with her in Chapter 21?
3. Where does Jonah depart to at the end of Chapter 34?
4. What is a term in developmental psychology to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner?
5. Who does Will get into a fight with in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction does Ronnie have with Blaze in Chapter 26? What concerns Ronnie?
2. What argument takes place between Ronnie and Kim in Chapter 33? What does Ronnie discover?
3. How does Ronnie feel upon departing the wedding in Chapter 26? What actions does she take?
4. When does the narrator say Steve learned he was dying in Chapter 30? How did he choose to live his final moments?
5. What does Will do after leaving the hospital in Chapter 28? What confrontations does he have?
6. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
7. What internal conflicts and external obstacles does Ronnie face in Chapter 26?
8. What deal do Ronnie and Will make in Chapter 23? Why?
9. What plan does Marcus develop in Chapter 27? What is his objective?
10. What does Ronnie discuss with her father at the hospital in Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the narrative voice in "The Last Song" and the element of foreshadowing in the Prologue. What does the reader know from the beginning? From whose perspective is the story related? Is the point of view omniscient or limited? What impact does this style have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Will's character development in the novel. What does the reader learn about Will's friendship and obligation to Scott in Chapter 20? What does Ronnie, and by extension, the reader, learn in this chapter which illuminates the rationale behind Will's actions? What does Will think of Ronnie in comparison with his ex-girlfriend?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the symbolism of the hatching turtles, and the impending departure of Will in Chapter 29. How are these two events related metaphorically? How is the extent of Steve's illness revealed in this chapter?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)