|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 26, Ronnie tracks down Blaze and finds out that Blaze's mother has done what?
2. Who arrives at the hospital as Ronnie is visiting her father in Chapter 33?
3. In Chapter 29, the week is tense for Ronnie and Will because it is nearly time for Will to do what?
4. What draws a big crowd, causing Ronnie to be somewhat annoyed at having to share the moment in Chapter 29?
5. In Chapter 33, Ronnie gets her father to admit to her that he played the piano for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will do after leaving the hospital in Chapter 28? What confrontations does he have?
2. Why is Scott pressuring Will in Chapter 18? Why does Will succumb to this pressure?
3. How does Will perform in the volleyball tournament in Chapter 28? What distraction takes Will out of the game?
4. What interaction does Ronnie have with Blaze in Chapter 26? What concerns Ronnie?
5. What revelations does Steve have in Chapter 25 regarding his children?
6. Why does Ronnie refuse Will's offer to stay in Chapter 32? What do they discover Jonah doing?
7. What does Will come to appreciate about Ronnie in Chapter 20?
8. How does Ronnie react to the news of her father's prognosis in Chapter 31?
9. What confrontation does Scott have with Will in Chapter 18? How does Ronnie interrupt the conversation?
10. What causes the tension between Will and Ronnie in Chapter 29? What helps to ease the tension?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of Steve's cancer on his family. Why did Steve choose to hide his illness? What are Ronnie's and Jonah's reactions upon hearing their father is dying? What kind of cancer does Steve have? Where has the cancer spread? Why are there no treatment options to help Steve?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify irony in the novel. Why is it ironic that Ronnie and Will come to Blaze's rescue in Chapter 28? What are the different forms of irony in literature? How are each implemented in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the internal and external conflicts in Chapter 26. Why does Marcus cause a fight at the wedding? What is the outcome? Why does Ronnie choose to end her relationship with Will in the chapter?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)