|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ronnie is standing on the deck near what when Will finds her in Chapter 26?
2. Who does Will go and ask a favor from after Ronnie ends their relationship in Chapter 32?
3. What is the cause of Steve's ailment in the novel?
4. In Chapter 18, Scott complains to Will that he is spending more time with Ronnie than doing what?
5. What draws a big crowd, causing Ronnie to be somewhat annoyed at having to share the moment in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Ronnie's impressions of Will's family in Chapter 19?
2. What do Ronnie and Will spend the day doing in Chapter 21? What do they talk about?
3. What does Will do after leaving the hospital in Chapter 28? What confrontations does he have?
4. What revelations does Steve have in Chapter 25 regarding his children?
5. What internal conflicts and external obstacles does Ronnie face in Chapter 26?
6. What concerns Will in the beginning of Chapter 23? What does he spend his time with Ronnie doing?
7. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
8. How does Ronnie react to the news of her father's prognosis in Chapter 31?
9. What confrontation does Scott have with Will in Chapter 18? How does Ronnie interrupt the conversation?
10. What does Will come to appreciate about Ronnie in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the rising action of the novel. When does the novel shift from exposition to an active plot? What new conflicts does Ronnie face in the reading? Also, discuss Scott's actions in Chapters 23 and 24 and the importance of the volleyball tournament. What does Scott want to get out of the tournament and why does he need Will's assistance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Will's character development in the novel. What does the reader learn about Will's friendship and obligation to Scott in Chapter 20? What does Ronnie, and by extension, the reader, learn in this chapter which illuminates the rationale behind Will's actions? What does Will think of Ronnie in comparison with his ex-girlfriend?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the narrative voice in "The Last Song" and the element of foreshadowing in the Prologue. What does the reader know from the beginning? From whose perspective is the story related? Is the point of view omniscient or limited? What impact does this style have on the reader?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)