|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins the game that Ronnie's family plays with Will in Chapter 20?
2. Will insists on going to his house to do what in Chapter 18?
3. Scott is very angry with Will for what, in the end of Chapter 28?
4. In Chapter 25, Steve comes to the realization that walking the beach to find God as Pastor Harris often does will not work for him because Steve has found God where?
5. In Chapter 21, Ronnie and Will spend the afternoon where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will perform in the volleyball tournament in Chapter 28? What distraction takes Will out of the game?
2. What revelations does Steve have in Chapter 25 regarding his children?
3. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
4. How has Ronnie's character arc developed by Chapter 21? What changes has she undergone?
5. What do Ronnie and Will spend the day doing in Chapter 21? What do they talk about?
6. What does Will do in order to help Blaze in Chapter 28?
7. What deal do Ronnie and Will make in Chapter 23? Why?
8. How does Ronnie react to the news of her father's prognosis in Chapter 31?
9. When does the narrator say Steve learned he was dying in Chapter 30? How did he choose to live his final moments?
10. What are Ronnie's impressions of Will's family in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of Steve and Jonah in the novel. How old is Jonah? What is his reaction upon seeing his father? How old were Jonah and Ronnie when their father abandoned the family? How did the abandonment affect Ronnie and Jonah differently and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Will's character development in the novel. What does the reader learn about Will's friendship and obligation to Scott in Chapter 20? What does Ronnie, and by extension, the reader, learn in this chapter which illuminates the rationale behind Will's actions? What does Will think of Ronnie in comparison with his ex-girlfriend?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the developing relationship between Ronnie and Will in the narrative. How compatible are Ronnie and Will as a couple? What similarities do they share in temperament and in interests? How do they differ?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)