|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions?
2. Where does Will intend to go to college in the novel?
3. Ronnie regrets her choice to do what after hearing of her dad's prognosis in Chapter 31?
4. Who wins the game that Ronnie's family plays with Will in Chapter 20?
5. What draws a big crowd, causing Ronnie to be somewhat annoyed at having to share the moment in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Will's character development in the novel. What does the reader learn about Will's friendship and obligation to Scott in Chapter 20? What does Ronnie, and by extension, the reader, learn in this chapter which illuminates the rationale behind Will's actions? What does Will think of Ronnie in comparison with his ex-girlfriend?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the plot structure of the novel, identifying and discussing the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. Where does the novel return to in Chapter 37? What is the effect of this return to the beginning on the reader? What peace does Steve make before dying?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Will's family history. How does the wealth of Will's family differ from that of the other characters? How is Will's house described in the narrative? How does Ronnie interact with each of Will's parents? What causes her intimidation?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)