|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the money in Jonah's piggy bank has been collected from Ronnie for what?
2. What refers to the treatment of cancer with an antineoplastic drug or with a combination of such drugs into a standardized treatment regimen?
3. Ronnie tells Will that what makes no difference to her in Chapter 20?
4. After leaving the hospital, Will finds Marcus and his friends where, in Chapter 28?
5. What does Ronnie feel Will's mother thinks of her in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Marcus develop in Chapter 27? What is his objective?
2. Who comes to the aid of Ronnie and Jonah while their father is in the hospital in Chapter 31? How?
3. What interaction does Ronnie have with Blaze in Chapter 26? What concerns Ronnie?
4. What internal conflicts and external obstacles does Ronnie face in Chapter 26?
5. How has Ronnie's character arc developed by Chapter 21? What changes has she undergone?
6. How does Will perform in the volleyball tournament in Chapter 28? What distraction takes Will out of the game?
7. What does Will do in order to help Blaze in Chapter 28?
8. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
9. What confrontation does Scott have with Will in Chapter 18? How does Ronnie interrupt the conversation?
10. What does Ronnie discuss with her father at the hospital in Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss childhood development and emotional detachment as they apply to the novel. How are Steve's parents described in the narrative, and what effect did they have on him? What did Steve struggle with in his marriage to Kim? How is childhood development and detachment applicable to Ronnie and Jonah?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Will's family history. How does the wealth of Will's family differ from that of the other characters? How is Will's house described in the narrative? How does Ronnie interact with each of Will's parents? What causes her intimidation?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the rising action of the novel. When does the novel shift from exposition to an active plot? What new conflicts does Ronnie face in the reading? Also, discuss Scott's actions in Chapters 23 and 24 and the importance of the volleyball tournament. What does Scott want to get out of the tournament and why does he need Will's assistance?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)