|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, Scott complains to Will that he is damaging Scott's chances of what?
2. In Chapter 30, the narrator states that Steve learned when that he was dying?
3. Who saved Will and his mother in a car accident many years earlier in the novel?
4. When considering the differences between Ronnie and his ex-girlfriend, Will concludes that Ronnie is more what, in Chapter 20?
5. In Chapter 23, Will and Ronnie are spending more time with what, in order to protect them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ronnie react to the news of her father's prognosis in Chapter 31?
2. How has Ronnie's character arc developed by Chapter 21? What changes has she undergone?
3. Who comes to the aid of Ronnie and Jonah while their father is in the hospital in Chapter 31? How?
4. What revelations does Steve have in Chapter 25 regarding his children?
5. What causes the tension between Will and Ronnie in Chapter 29? What helps to ease the tension?
6. What does Will do in order to help Blaze in Chapter 28?
7. What does Ronnie discuss with her father at the hospital in Chapter 33?
8. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
9. Why is Scott pressuring Will in Chapter 18? Why does Will succumb to this pressure?
10. What deal do Ronnie and Will make in Chapter 23? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the elements of religious allusion in the novel. What is the significance of Pastor Harris' church? How does Ronnie feel about Christianity and God? What amends does Steve hope to attain with God? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss childhood development and emotional detachment as they apply to the novel. How are Steve's parents described in the narrative, and what effect did they have on him? What did Steve struggle with in his marriage to Kim? How is childhood development and detachment applicable to Ronnie and Jonah?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the rising action of the novel. When does the novel shift from exposition to an active plot? What new conflicts does Ronnie face in the reading? Also, discuss Scott's actions in Chapters 23 and 24 and the importance of the volleyball tournament. What does Scott want to get out of the tournament and why does he need Will's assistance?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)