|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the money in Jonah's piggy bank has been collected from Ronnie for what?
2. What draws a big crowd, causing Ronnie to be somewhat annoyed at having to share the moment in Chapter 29?
3. Will's father owns what establishment in the town?
4. What is the name of Will's sister?
5. In Chapter 18, Scott complains to Will that he is spending more time with Ronnie than doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the narrator say Steve learned he was dying in Chapter 30? How did he choose to live his final moments?
2. What argument takes place between Ronnie and Kim in Chapter 33? What does Ronnie discover?
3. What revelations does Steve have in Chapter 25 regarding his children?
4. What does Will do after leaving the hospital in Chapter 28? What confrontations does he have?
5. Why does Ronnie refuse Will's offer to stay in Chapter 32? What do they discover Jonah doing?
6. What are Ronnie's impressions of Will's family in Chapter 19?
7. What concerns Will in the beginning of Chapter 23? What does he spend his time with Ronnie doing?
8. How does Will perform in the volleyball tournament in Chapter 28? What distraction takes Will out of the game?
9. How has Ronnie's character arc developed by Chapter 21? What changes has she undergone?
10. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Will's character development in the novel. What does the reader learn about Will's friendship and obligation to Scott in Chapter 20? What does Ronnie, and by extension, the reader, learn in this chapter which illuminates the rationale behind Will's actions? What does Will think of Ronnie in comparison with his ex-girlfriend?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the narrative voice in "The Last Song" and the element of foreshadowing in the Prologue. What does the reader know from the beginning? From whose perspective is the story related? Is the point of view omniscient or limited? What impact does this style have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the plot structure of the novel, identifying and discussing the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. Where does the novel return to in Chapter 37? What is the effect of this return to the beginning on the reader? What peace does Steve make before dying?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)