|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 24, Ronnie goes where and finds her father working?
2. What do Ronnie and Will find Jonah doing in the work shed in Chapter 32?
3. What collapses during the wedding when Will gets into a fight in Chapter 26?
4. What refers to a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions?
5. Jonah asks Steve to let him do what in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the tension between Will and Ronnie in Chapter 29? What helps to ease the tension?
2. What does Will come to appreciate about Ronnie in Chapter 20?
3. What do Ronnie and Will spend the day doing in Chapter 21? What do they talk about?
4. What interaction does Ronnie have with Blaze in Chapter 26? What concerns Ronnie?
5. What does Will do in order to help Blaze in Chapter 28?
6. What argument takes place between Ronnie and Kim in Chapter 33? What does Ronnie discover?
7. What does Ronnie discuss with her father at the hospital in Chapter 33?
8. When does the narrator say Steve learned he was dying in Chapter 30? How did he choose to live his final moments?
9. What deal do Ronnie and Will make in Chapter 23? Why?
10. Who comes to the aid of Ronnie and Jonah while their father is in the hospital in Chapter 31? How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Ronnie's history as a piano prodigy. How is music something shared by Ronnie and her father? What does music represent to Ronnie? How is it symbolic that Ronnie is set up for stealing music from the music store?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of Steve's cancer on his family. Why did Steve choose to hide his illness? What are Ronnie's and Jonah's reactions upon hearing their father is dying? What kind of cancer does Steve have? Where has the cancer spread? Why are there no treatment options to help Steve?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the plot structure of the novel, identifying and discussing the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. Where does the novel return to in Chapter 37? What is the effect of this return to the beginning on the reader? What peace does Steve make before dying?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)