|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25, Steve comes to the realization that walking the beach to find God as Pastor Harris often does will not work for him because Steve has found God where?
2. Will insists on going to his house to do what in Chapter 18?
3. Who does Jonah give all of the money from his piggy bank to in Chapter 26?
4. Who was set up for causing the fire that burned down Pastor Harris' church in the novel?
5. In Chapter 24, Ronnie goes where and finds her father working?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will come to appreciate about Ronnie in Chapter 20?
2. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
3. What does Will do in order to help Blaze in Chapter 28?
4. What causes the tension between Will and Ronnie in Chapter 29? What helps to ease the tension?
5. How does Ronnie feel upon departing the wedding in Chapter 26? What actions does she take?
6. What do Ronnie and Will spend the day doing in Chapter 21? What do they talk about?
7. What does Ronnie discuss with her father at the hospital in Chapter 33?
8. Who comes to the aid of Ronnie and Jonah while their father is in the hospital in Chapter 31? How?
9. What interaction does Ronnie have with Blaze in Chapter 26? What concerns Ronnie?
10. What revelations does Steve have in Chapter 25 regarding his children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify conflict in narrative literature and the novel. What is internal conflict and how does it differ from external conflict? What does Ronnie struggle with internally in the novel? How does this conflict drive her actions in Chapter 5?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Ronnie. How old is Ronnie as the novel begins? Where is she going, and how does she feel about her father? What is Ronnie's history in New York, and what legal problems does she have there?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the developing relationship between Ronnie and Will in the narrative. How compatible are Ronnie and Will as a couple? What similarities do they share in temperament and in interests? How do they differ?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)