|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ronnie tells Will about her problems, he is sympathetic and offers to go where with her in Chapter 21?
2. Where does Ronnie invite Will to dinner in Chapter 18?
3. Ronnie tells Will that what makes no difference to her in Chapter 20?
4. What is the cause of Steve's ailment in the novel?
5. Who wins the game that Ronnie's family plays with Will in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ronnie feel upon departing the wedding in Chapter 26? What actions does she take?
2. What plan does Marcus develop in Chapter 27? What is his objective?
3. What deal do Ronnie and Will make in Chapter 23? Why?
4. How has Ronnie's character arc developed by Chapter 21? What changes has she undergone?
5. What interaction does Ronnie have with Blaze in Chapter 26? What concerns Ronnie?
6. What does Ronnie discuss with her father at the hospital in Chapter 33?
7. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
8. What revelations does Steve have in Chapter 25 regarding his children?
9. What does Will do after leaving the hospital in Chapter 28? What confrontations does he have?
10. What does Will come to appreciate about Ronnie in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of Steve's cancer on his family. Why did Steve choose to hide his illness? What are Ronnie's and Jonah's reactions upon hearing their father is dying? What kind of cancer does Steve have? Where has the cancer spread? Why are there no treatment options to help Steve?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the narrative voice in "The Last Song" and the element of foreshadowing in the Prologue. What does the reader know from the beginning? From whose perspective is the story related? Is the point of view omniscient or limited? What impact does this style have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify irony in the novel. Why is it ironic that Ronnie and Will come to Blaze's rescue in Chapter 28? What are the different forms of irony in literature? How are each implemented in the novel?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)