|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ronnie is standing on the deck near what when Will finds her in Chapter 26?
2. What refers to the status of the character as it unfolds throughout the story?
3. Who actually set fire to Pastor Harris' church in the novel?
4. Who does Will go and ask a favor from after Ronnie ends their relationship in Chapter 32?
5. Who does Ronnie console at the hospital in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Scott pressuring Will in Chapter 18? Why does Will succumb to this pressure?
2. What deal do Ronnie and Will make in Chapter 23? Why?
3. How does Ronnie react to the news of her father's prognosis in Chapter 31?
4. What do Ronnie and Will spend the day doing in Chapter 21? What do they talk about?
5. Why does Ronnie refuse Will's offer to stay in Chapter 32? What do they discover Jonah doing?
6. What causes the tension between Will and Ronnie in Chapter 29? What helps to ease the tension?
7. What argument takes place between Ronnie and Kim in Chapter 33? What does Ronnie discover?
8. What revelations does Steve have in Chapter 25 regarding his children?
9. Who comes to the aid of Ronnie and Jonah while their father is in the hospital in Chapter 31? How?
10. When does the narrator say Steve learned he was dying in Chapter 30? How did he choose to live his final moments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of Steve and Jonah in the novel. How old is Jonah? What is his reaction upon seeing his father? How old were Jonah and Ronnie when their father abandoned the family? How did the abandonment affect Ronnie and Jonah differently and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of coastal North Carolina, and discuss and analyze the characters of Blaze, Marcus and Will in the narrative. How does Ronnie meet these characters? What are Ronnie's first impressions of each character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the symbolism of the hatching turtles, and the impending departure of Will in Chapter 29. How are these two events related metaphorically? How is the extent of Steve's illness revealed in this chapter?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)