|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Will's sister?
2. What is a term in developmental psychology to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner?
3. Who does Ronnie ask to take her home after the wedding in Chapter 26?
4. What refers to a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions?
5. Who does Jonah give all of the money from his piggy bank to in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction does Ronnie have with Blaze in Chapter 26? What concerns Ronnie?
2. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
3. How does Ronnie react to the news of her father's prognosis in Chapter 31?
4. What confrontation does Scott have with Will in Chapter 18? How does Ronnie interrupt the conversation?
5. What are Ronnie's impressions of Will's family in Chapter 19?
6. What deal do Ronnie and Will make in Chapter 23? Why?
7. What internal conflicts and external obstacles does Ronnie face in Chapter 26?
8. What does Will come to appreciate about Ronnie in Chapter 20?
9. What do Ronnie and Will spend the day doing in Chapter 21? What do they talk about?
10. How has Ronnie's character arc developed by Chapter 21? What changes has she undergone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the elements of religious allusion in the novel. What is the significance of Pastor Harris' church? How does Ronnie feel about Christianity and God? What amends does Steve hope to attain with God? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Will's family history. How does the wealth of Will's family differ from that of the other characters? How is Will's house described in the narrative? How does Ronnie interact with each of Will's parents? What causes her intimidation?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify irony in the novel. Why is it ironic that Ronnie and Will come to Blaze's rescue in Chapter 28? What are the different forms of irony in literature? How are each implemented in the novel?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)