|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ronnie and Will find Jonah doing in the work shed in Chapter 32?
2. What does Will's father show Ronnie when she stops by Will's house in Chapter 19?
3. What draws a big crowd, causing Ronnie to be somewhat annoyed at having to share the moment in Chapter 29?
4. Who can Ronnie hear blaming her for the whole ordeal after the fight at the wedding in Chapter 26?
5. Jonah asks Steve to let him do what in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will come to appreciate about Ronnie in Chapter 20?
2. How has Ronnie's character arc developed by Chapter 21? What changes has she undergone?
3. What interaction does Ronnie have with Blaze in Chapter 26? What concerns Ronnie?
4. What does Will reveal about the fire at Pastor Harris' church in Chapter 32? What is Ronnie's response?
5. What does Will do in order to help Blaze in Chapter 28?
6. What concerns Will in the beginning of Chapter 23? What does he spend his time with Ronnie doing?
7. What argument takes place between Ronnie and Kim in Chapter 33? What does Ronnie discover?
8. How does Ronnie feel upon departing the wedding in Chapter 26? What actions does she take?
9. What internal conflicts and external obstacles does Ronnie face in Chapter 26?
10. What does Ronnie discuss with her father at the hospital in Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the elements of religious allusion in the novel. What is the significance of Pastor Harris' church? How does Ronnie feel about Christianity and God? What amends does Steve hope to attain with God? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of trust in the novel. How does Ronnie's distrust give way to trust, and what does this mean regarding her character arc? What moral lesson in trust does Ronnie learn through the character of Ashley? How does Will serve to develop Ronnie's trust?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of Steve's cancer on his family. Why did Steve choose to hide his illness? What are Ronnie's and Jonah's reactions upon hearing their father is dying? What kind of cancer does Steve have? Where has the cancer spread? Why are there no treatment options to help Steve?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)