Prologue and Chapters 1-4
• In the Prologue, Ronnie is preparing for her father's funeral.
• Ronnie's mother comes into the room and asks her to tell her the story of her final months with her father.
• Ronnie thinks of when it all began and shows her mother a newspaper clipping of a news article about a church fire; Ronnie believes it all began with the fire.
• In Chapter 1, Ronnie is being forced to spend the summer with her father in North Carolina, a man she has not spoken to in three years because he deserted the family.
• Ronnie has also not played the piano in that amount of time even though she was something of a child prodigy because it was something she once shared with her father.
• Ronnie wishes she was already eighteen and could stay in New York, but she will not turn eighteen until August...
This section contains 2,230 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)