|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Degarmo first pulls his gun, where is it pointed?
2. What color is Captain Webber's hair?
3. Who calls Sheriff Patton's office to tell them where Degarmo is?
4. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
5. What nationality is the boy who comes into the Peacock Lounge to sell papers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lady in the Lake is set in the summer, in Southern California. Both the heat and the locale impact the novel. Discuss the novel's setting.
1) What places in Southern California does Marlowe visit? How are these locations characteristic of Southern California? What lifestyles do they evoke?
2) Why does the author choose the summer to set the story in? What do the references to the heat accomplish in the novel?
3) How do Marlowe's descriptions of specific locations, like Kingsley's office or Lavery's home, set the tone for the novel and give information to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
The Lady in the Lake involves characters changing and hiding their Identities. Discuss the concept of identity in the novel.
1) How is identity obscured in the novel? Who attempts to obscure their identity, and why?
2) How do the characters know others' identities? How do characters create their identities?
3) How does Marlowe formulate his own identity? How do others perceive him?
Essay Topic 3
The Lady in the Lake has multiple antagonists who have different goals. Discuss the antagonists in the novel.
1) What antagonists in the novel are obvious and what antagonists are hidden? How do multiple antagonists function in the genre to create mystery and conflict?
2) Discuss Degarmo and Mildred Haviland as antagonists. What different roles do they fill?
3) How do the police function as antagonists?
This section contains 1,765 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)