Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Degarmo leave the area of Kingsley's cabin?
2. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
3. What does Marlowe do when Webber asks him to promise to keep what he's told Marlowe quiet?
4. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
5. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
Essay Topic 1
Marlowe learns the truth through investigation and interviewing. Discuss investigation and interviewing in the novel.
1) What techniques does Marlowe use to investigate? How does he approach interviewing people?
2) How do Marlowe's interviewing techniques vary in different situations, with different people?
3) What information is Marlowe able to acquire by talking to people? What makes his interviews effective or ineffective?
Essay Topic 2
As a crime novel, The Lady in the Lake is concerned with justice. Discuss justice in the novel.
1) What does Marlowe consider justice to be?
2) How does the law deliver justice, or does it? What is the relationship between the law and justice?
3) Does the novel deliver justice to its characters? In what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Marlowe's job puts him into dangerous situations. Discuss danger in the novel.
1) What causes danger in the novel? How is danger inherent in Marlowe's work?
2) How does Marlowe react to dangerous situations? What are his emotional responses? What are his intellectual responses, and what action does he take?
3) How do the antagonists in the novel react when they are in danger?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)