Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Degarmo leave the area of Kingsley's cabin?
2. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
3. What does Marlowe do when Webber asks him to promise to keep what he's told Marlowe quiet?
4. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
5. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
Essay Topic 1
Through Marlowe's association with crime, he naturally is associated with police and law enforcers. Discuss the police and law enforcers in the novel.
1) What different sides are there to police and law enforcement in the novel, both positive and negative?
2) How does Marlowe relate to the police in the novel? What is his relationship with law enforcement like?
3) Discuss specific officers of the law in the novel, including Patton, Degarmo, Webber, and uniformed police Marlowe deals with. How do they perceive their jobs? How do they deal with the multifaceted nature of law enforcement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of women and the idea of the femme fatale in the novel.
1) What are the women in the novel like? Are there positive and negative women characters, and what are their qualities? How do they compare to real women?
2) Who in the novel is a femme fatale? How is any femme fatale in the novel similar to and different from the archetype of the femme fatale?
3) How do women treat men in the novel? How do men treat women?
Essay Topic 3
The Lady in the Lake is set in the summer, in Southern California. Both the heat and the locale impact the novel. Discuss the novel's setting.
1) What places in Southern California does Marlowe visit? How are these locations characteristic of Southern California? What lifestyles do they evoke?
2) Why does the author choose the summer to set the story in? What do the references to the heat accomplish in the novel?
3) How do Marlowe's descriptions of specific locations, like Kingsley's office or Lavery's home, set the tone for the novel and give information to the reader?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)