|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
2. What reason does Degarmo give for wanting to solve the murder case?
3. What do Degarmo and Marlowe stop for at Crestline?
4. Where does Patton's gunshot hit?
5. Who is in Marlowe's office building when he returns there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the parking attendant at the Grenada assume Marlowe is there for?
2. How does Marlowe get out of the apartment at the Granada?
3. What conditions does Marlowe discover in the apartment he enters after leaving the murdered woman's apartment?
4. What does Marlowe notice happening on the street as he tries to talk to Mrs. Talley?
5. How does the desk sergeant annoy Degarmo?
6. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
7. What reason does Marlowe give to Degarmo for telling Degarmo all Marlowe suspects, on the ride up to Kingsley's cabin?
8. According to Marlowe, why did Muriel Chess have an affair with Lavery?
9. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
10. What does Degarmo do when Patton makes it clear that he can't let Degarmo go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marlowe's job puts him into dangerous situations. Discuss danger in the novel.
1) What causes danger in the novel? How is danger inherent in Marlowe's work?
2) How does Marlowe react to dangerous situations? What are his emotional responses? What are his intellectual responses, and what action does he take?
3) How do the antagonists in the novel react when they are in danger?
Essay Topic 2
As a crime novel, The Lady in the Lake is concerned with justice. Discuss justice in the novel.
1) What does Marlowe consider justice to be?
2) How does the law deliver justice, or does it? What is the relationship between the law and justice?
3) Does the novel deliver justice to its characters? In what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Phillip Marlowe is the central character of the novel, and the whole plot is seen through his eyes. Discuss Marlowe's character.
1) How does Marlowe deal with his job, including managing clients, dealing with the police, and handling danger?
2) What is Marlowe's moral and ethical code? How does that code drive his actions?
3) What qualities does Marlowe have that make him a good detective? What does his job demand from him?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)