|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks the news to Kingsley that his wife is dead?
2. What does Degarmo call the other cop at the scene of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
3. What color is the scarf Miss Fromsett gives Marlowe to wear, to identify him?
4. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches his apartment?
5. What prevents Degarmo from getting away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Talley's attitude?
2. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
3. What does Degarmo do when Patton makes it clear that he can't let Degarmo go?
4. Where and in what condition do Marlowe and Patton find the car that Degarmo escaped in?
5. After leaving the crime scene, what does Degarmo try to convince the other police officer?
6. How does Degarmo react to Marlowe mentioning the idea that Almore murdered his wife and then used his influence to get it hushed up?
7. According to Marlowe, why did Muriel Chess have an affair with Lavery?
8. How does the desk sergeant annoy Degarmo?
9. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
10. Who does Marlowe call to verify where Kingsley has gone, once he guesses where it is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marlowe's job puts him into dangerous situations. Discuss danger in the novel.
1) What causes danger in the novel? How is danger inherent in Marlowe's work?
2) How does Marlowe react to dangerous situations? What are his emotional responses? What are his intellectual responses, and what action does he take?
3) How do the antagonists in the novel react when they are in danger?
Essay Topic 2
Marlowe delves into an underground world of crime and corruption that lives beneath the normal-seeming surface world of the city. Discuss the presence of this underground world in the novel.
1) What different segments of society are present in the novel? How does Marlowe travel between them?
2) What aspects of society in the novel remain hidden? What is it taboo to talk about?
3) What open secrets are there in the novel? An open secret is something illicit and undiscussed, but something that everyone knows about.
Essay Topic 3
Marlowe learns the truth through investigation and interviewing. Discuss investigation and interviewing in the novel.
1) What techniques does Marlowe use to investigate? How does he approach interviewing people?
2) How do Marlowe's interviewing techniques vary in different situations, with different people?
3) What information is Marlowe able to acquire by talking to people? What makes his interviews effective or ineffective?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)