|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
2. What is Marlowe's cellmate doing?
3. Where does Marlowe say Patton could look for evidence that Degarmo is the killer?
4. What does Captain Webber think of the investigation of Mrs. Almore's death?
5. What color is Captain Webber's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Talley's attitude?
2. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
3. How does Degarmo react when Marlowe tells him about Mrs. Fallbrook?
4. How does Degarmo react to Marlowe mentioning the idea that Almore murdered his wife and then used his influence to get it hushed up?
5. How does Grayson describe Dr. Almore's practice?
6. What does Degarmo do when Patton makes it clear that he can't let Degarmo go?
7. According to Marlowe, why did Muriel Chess have an affair with Lavery?
8. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
9. Where and in what condition do Marlowe and Patton find the car that Degarmo escaped in?
10. How does Degarmo act toward the sentries at the dam on the way to the cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through Marlowe's association with crime, he naturally is associated with police and law enforcers. Discuss the police and law enforcers in the novel.
1) What different sides are there to police and law enforcement in the novel, both positive and negative?
2) How does Marlowe relate to the police in the novel? What is his relationship with law enforcement like?
3) Discuss specific officers of the law in the novel, including Patton, Degarmo, Webber, and uniformed police Marlowe deals with. How do they perceive their jobs? How do they deal with the multifaceted nature of law enforcement?
Essay Topic 2
The Lady in the Lake has multiple antagonists who have different goals. Discuss the antagonists in the novel.
1) What antagonists in the novel are obvious and what antagonists are hidden? How do multiple antagonists function in the genre to create mystery and conflict?
2) Discuss Degarmo and Mildred Haviland as antagonists. What different roles do they fill?
3) How do the police function as antagonists?
Essay Topic 3
Mildred Haviland is a character, though she is not seen during most of the novel. Her story is the primary story Marlowe is uncovering. Discuss Mildred Haviland's character.
1) What is Mildred Haviland's motivation for murder? What makes her a killer?
2) Mildred Haviland is only seen under false identities. Why does she acquire false identities? What are the implications of her acting capabilities?
3) What does the reader know about Mildred Haviland's true character? How does the reader get to know her character? How does Marlowe get to know her character?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)