|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Marlowe think Mrs. Almore was alive when she was brought to the garage?
2. Who breaks the news to Kingsley that his wife is dead?
3. What does Mrs. Talley threaten to do if Marlowe won't leave?
4. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches his apartment?
5. What does Mrs. Kingsley do when Marlowe tells her Bill says she made a pass at him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grayson describe Dr. Almore's practice?
2. What reason does Marlowe give to Degarmo for telling Degarmo all Marlowe suspects, on the ride up to Kingsley's cabin?
3. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
4. What does Dobbs say he's going to charge Marlowe with?
5. How does Degarmo act toward the sentries at the dam on the way to the cabin?
6. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
7. Who does Marlowe call to verify where Kingsley has gone, once he guesses where it is?
8. After Patton shoots at Degarmo, what does Degarmo do?
9. What conditions does Marlowe discover in the apartment he enters after leaving the murdered woman's apartment?
10. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Degarmo both brings Marlowe into the central mystery of the story and drives the ending of the novel. Discuss Degarmo's character.
1) Why does Degarmo try to protect his wife? Why does he ultimately kill her?
2) In what ways is Degarmo corrupt? What is the motivation behind his corruption?
3) How intelligent is Degarmo? What mistakes does he make? How does Marlowe see through him?
Essay Topic 2
The Lady in the Lake is written in the first person narrative point of view, from the perspective of Marlowe. Discuss the novel's point of view.
1) Why does the author choose the first person narrative point of view? Why is the story told from Marlowe's perspective?
2) What does Marlowe reveal to the reader, as narrator, and when? What does Marlowe keep hidden from the reader, though he may know it himself?
3) How does the first person narration affect the tone of the novel? How is it appropriate to the genre?
Essay Topic 3
Phillip Marlowe is the central character of the novel, and the whole plot is seen through his eyes. Discuss Marlowe's character.
1) How does Marlowe deal with his job, including managing clients, dealing with the police, and handling danger?
2) What is Marlowe's moral and ethical code? How does that code drive his actions?
3) What qualities does Marlowe have that make him a good detective? What does his job demand from him?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)