|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Mrs. Kingsley give for going back to Lavery's after shooting him?
2. Where do Andy and Degarmo confront each other?
3. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
4. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
5. What time do Degarmo and Marlowe arrive at Miss Fromsett's apartment building, according to the clerk's wristwatch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
2. How does Degarmo react when Marlowe tells him about Mrs. Fallbrook?
3. After leaving the crime scene, what does Degarmo try to convince the other police officer?
4. What does Degarmo do when Patton makes it clear that he can't let Degarmo go?
5. What conditions does Marlowe discover in the apartment he enters after leaving the murdered woman's apartment?
6. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
7. How does Degarmo react to Marlowe mentioning the idea that Almore murdered his wife and then used his influence to get it hushed up?
8. After Patton shoots at Degarmo, what does Degarmo do?
9. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
10. What is the reaction of the younger policeman, Eddie, when he sees the gun on the table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is full of clues and implications inherent in events that Marlowe must interpret in order to find the truth. Discuss clues and implications in the novel.
1) How are clues that Marlowe finds deceptive? How do they give hints to the truth? How does Marlowe discern one from the other?
2) What does Marlowe infer from others' behavior? How is he able to make these inferences?
3) What does Marlowe infer from activity that he observes around him? How is observation and inference related? What skills does Marlowe use to make these inferences?
Essay Topic 2
Degarmo both brings Marlowe into the central mystery of the story and drives the ending of the novel. Discuss Degarmo's character.
1) Why does Degarmo try to protect his wife? Why does he ultimately kill her?
2) In what ways is Degarmo corrupt? What is the motivation behind his corruption?
3) How intelligent is Degarmo? What mistakes does he make? How does Marlowe see through him?
Essay Topic 3
The Lady in the Lake is structured in 41 short chapters. Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author choose many short chapters instead of longer ones? Why are some conversations spread over more than one chapter?
2) What is the climax of the novel? How does the novel build to the climax, and how does it resolve?
3) What stages does Marlowe go through in his journey to unravel the truth?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)