|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Degarmo leave the area of Kingsley's cabin?
2. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
3. What does Marlowe do when Webber asks him to promise to keep what he's told Marlowe quiet?
4. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
5. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
Essay Topic 1
Marlowe's job puts him into dangerous situations. Discuss danger in the novel.
1) What causes danger in the novel? How is danger inherent in Marlowe's work?
2) How does Marlowe react to dangerous situations? What are his emotional responses? What are his intellectual responses, and what action does he take?
3) How do the antagonists in the novel react when they are in danger?
Essay Topic 2
Phillip Marlowe is the central character of the novel, and the whole plot is seen through his eyes. Discuss Marlowe's character.
1) How does Marlowe deal with his job, including managing clients, dealing with the police, and handling danger?
2) What is Marlowe's moral and ethical code? How does that code drive his actions?
3) What qualities does Marlowe have that make him a good detective? What does his job demand from him?
Essay Topic 3
The Lady in the Lake has multiple antagonists who have different goals. Discuss the antagonists in the novel.
1) What antagonists in the novel are obvious and what antagonists are hidden? How do multiple antagonists function in the genre to create mystery and conflict?
2) Discuss Degarmo and Mildred Haviland as antagonists. What different roles do they fill?
3) How do the police function as antagonists?
This section contains 1,779 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)