|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What motives does Marlowe ascribe to Muriel Chess for killing Crystal Kingsley?
2. How was Mrs. Kingsley killed?
3. What choice does Marlowe give the woman he meets at the Peacock Lounge?
4. What does Marlowe think of Degarmo's tactics?
5. What does Degarmo do as he draws his weapon on Patton?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of women and the idea of the femme fatale in the novel.
1) What are the women in the novel like? Are there positive and negative women characters, and what are their qualities? How do they compare to real women?
2) Who in the novel is a femme fatale? How is any femme fatale in the novel similar to and different from the archetype of the femme fatale?
3) How do women treat men in the novel? How do men treat women?
Essay Topic 2
Phillip Marlowe is the central character of the novel, and the whole plot is seen through his eyes. Discuss Marlowe's character.
1) How does Marlowe deal with his job, including managing clients, dealing with the police, and handling danger?
2) What is Marlowe's moral and ethical code? How does that code drive his actions?
3) What qualities does Marlowe have that make him a good detective? What does his job demand from him?
Essay Topic 3
The story behind The Lady in the Lake is one of relationships: husbands and wives, lovers, and jealous rivals. Discuss relationships in the novel.
1) What do men and women want from relationships in the novel?
2) Discuss Lavery's relationships. Who is Lavery? What do women want from him? What does Lavery expect out of relationships?
3) Do romantic relationships lead to happiness in the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,796 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)