|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Degarmo from getting away?
2. Where is Mrs. Kingsley's body, when Marlowe awakes?
3. When Degarmo notices Marlowe is limping, what does he ask?
4. Who is in Marlowe's office building when he returns there?
5. What does Miss Fromsett say when Degarmo and Marlowe ask her where Kingsley is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlowe notice happening on the street as he tries to talk to Mrs. Talley?
2. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
3. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
4. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
5. How does the desk sergeant annoy Degarmo?
6. How does Marlowe get out of the apartment at the Granada?
7. What does Marlowe say about Muriel's explanation of why she went back to Lavery's the morning after the murder?
8. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
9. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
10. What is Mrs. Talley's attitude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marlowe's job puts him into dangerous situations. Discuss danger in the novel.
1) What causes danger in the novel? How is danger inherent in Marlowe's work?
2) How does Marlowe react to dangerous situations? What are his emotional responses? What are his intellectual responses, and what action does he take?
3) How do the antagonists in the novel react when they are in danger?
Essay Topic 2
Degarmo both brings Marlowe into the central mystery of the story and drives the ending of the novel. Discuss Degarmo's character.
1) Why does Degarmo try to protect his wife? Why does he ultimately kill her?
2) In what ways is Degarmo corrupt? What is the motivation behind his corruption?
3) How intelligent is Degarmo? What mistakes does he make? How does Marlowe see through him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of women and the idea of the femme fatale in the novel.
1) What are the women in the novel like? Are there positive and negative women characters, and what are their qualities? How do they compare to real women?
2) Who in the novel is a femme fatale? How is any femme fatale in the novel similar to and different from the archetype of the femme fatale?
3) How do women treat men in the novel? How do men treat women?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)