|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it when Marlowe looks at his watch in the jail cell?
2. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
3. What kind of flowers are on Miss Fromsett's earrings, when she comes to Marlowe's apartment?
4. What does Degarmo do as he draws his weapon on Patton?
5. Is Marlowe charged with a crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where and in what condition do Marlowe and Patton find the car that Degarmo escaped in?
2. What reason does Marlowe give to Degarmo for telling Degarmo all Marlowe suspects, on the ride up to Kingsley's cabin?
3. According to Marlowe, why did Muriel Chess have an affair with Lavery?
4. What is the reaction of the younger policeman, Eddie, when he sees the gun on the table?
5. How does Grayson describe Mr. Talley?
6. How does Marlowe get out of the apartment at the Granada?
7. After leaving the crime scene, what does Degarmo try to convince the other police officer?
8. What does Marlowe notice happening on the street as he tries to talk to Mrs. Talley?
9. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
10. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lady in the Lake has multiple antagonists who have different goals. Discuss the antagonists in the novel.
1) What antagonists in the novel are obvious and what antagonists are hidden? How do multiple antagonists function in the genre to create mystery and conflict?
2) Discuss Degarmo and Mildred Haviland as antagonists. What different roles do they fill?
3) How do the police function as antagonists?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of women and the idea of the femme fatale in the novel.
1) What are the women in the novel like? Are there positive and negative women characters, and what are their qualities? How do they compare to real women?
2) Who in the novel is a femme fatale? How is any femme fatale in the novel similar to and different from the archetype of the femme fatale?
3) How do women treat men in the novel? How do men treat women?
Essay Topic 3
The Lady in the Lake is structured in 41 short chapters. Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author choose many short chapters instead of longer ones? Why are some conversations spread over more than one chapter?
2) What is the climax of the novel? How does the novel build to the climax, and how does it resolve?
3) What stages does Marlowe go through in his journey to unravel the truth?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)