|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlowe returns to Lavery's house to report the murder, what sound does he hear in the quiet house?
2. Where does Marlowe suggest Muriel Chess drowned Crystal Kingsley?
3. By what nickname does Miss Fromsett call Derace Kingsley?
4. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
5. What do Degarmo and Marlowe stop for at Crestline?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Patton shoots at Degarmo, what does Degarmo do?
2. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
3. What reason does Marlowe give to Degarmo for telling Degarmo all Marlowe suspects, on the ride up to Kingsley's cabin?
4. Where and in what condition do Marlowe and Patton find the car that Degarmo escaped in?
5. What is Mrs. Talley's attitude?
6. What does Degarmo do when Patton makes it clear that he can't let Degarmo go?
7. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
8. After leaving the crime scene, what does Degarmo try to convince the other police officer?
9. What does the parking attendant at the Grenada assume Marlowe is there for?
10. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lady in the Lake has multiple antagonists who have different goals. Discuss the antagonists in the novel.
1) What antagonists in the novel are obvious and what antagonists are hidden? How do multiple antagonists function in the genre to create mystery and conflict?
2) Discuss Degarmo and Mildred Haviland as antagonists. What different roles do they fill?
3) How do the police function as antagonists?
Essay Topic 2
As a crime novel, The Lady in the Lake is concerned with justice. Discuss justice in the novel.
1) What does Marlowe consider justice to be?
2) How does the law deliver justice, or does it? What is the relationship between the law and justice?
3) Does the novel deliver justice to its characters? In what ways?
Essay Topic 3
The Lady in the Lake is a hardboiled detective thriller. Discuss the novel's genre and how it is implemented in the novel.
1) In what ways is Marlowe characteristic of a detective in a "hardboiled" detective novel? How does he differ from other detectives in the genre?
2) How is the plot of The Lady in the Lake characteristic of a "hardboiled" detective novel? How does it differ from other examples of the genre?
3) How is the structure of the Lady in the Lake characteristic of a "hardboiled" detective novel? How does it differ from other examples of the genre?
4) What other characteristics of the genre, such as tone, mood, and setting, does the novel exemplify?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)