|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Derace Kingsley when Degarmo and Marlowe get to the cabin?
2. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
3. What does Degarmo call the other cop at the scene of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
4. Where do Andy and Degarmo confront each other?
5. What choice does Marlowe give the woman he meets at the Peacock Lounge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conditions does Marlowe discover in the apartment he enters after leaving the murdered woman's apartment?
2. What does Dobbs say he's going to charge Marlowe with?
3. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
4. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
5. How does Degarmo react when Marlowe tells him about Mrs. Fallbrook?
6. What is the reaction of the younger policeman, Eddie, when he sees the gun on the table?
7. How does Degarmo act toward the sentries at the dam on the way to the cabin?
8. What reason does Marlowe give to Degarmo for telling Degarmo all Marlowe suspects, on the ride up to Kingsley's cabin?
9. What does Degarmo do when Patton makes it clear that he can't let Degarmo go?
10. According to Marlowe, why did Muriel Chess have an affair with Lavery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, there are two ways to deal with problems and difficult situations: physical and mental prowess. Discuss physical and mental prowess in the novel.
1) When and how does Marlowe use physical force, intimidation, or threat? Why does Marlowe use these tactics?
2) When and how does Marlowe use mental deduction, bluffing, or other mental tactics? Why does Marlowe use these tactics?
3) Which is more important in the novel, the mental or the physical? Which has greater value attached to it?
Essay Topic 2
Through Marlowe's association with crime, he naturally is associated with police and law enforcers. Discuss the police and law enforcers in the novel.
1) What different sides are there to police and law enforcement in the novel, both positive and negative?
2) How does Marlowe relate to the police in the novel? What is his relationship with law enforcement like?
3) Discuss specific officers of the law in the novel, including Patton, Degarmo, Webber, and uniformed police Marlowe deals with. How do they perceive their jobs? How do they deal with the multifaceted nature of law enforcement?
Essay Topic 3
The Lady in the Lake has multiple antagonists who have different goals. Discuss the antagonists in the novel.
1) What antagonists in the novel are obvious and what antagonists are hidden? How do multiple antagonists function in the genre to create mystery and conflict?
2) Discuss Degarmo and Mildred Haviland as antagonists. What different roles do they fill?
3) How do the police function as antagonists?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)