|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Mrs. Kingsley give for going back to Lavery's after shooting him?
2. By what nickname does Miss Fromsett call Derace Kingsley?
3. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
4. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
5. What does Webber take off his desk and break, more than once during his interview with Marlowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grayson describe Mr. Talley?
2. How does Degarmo react to Marlowe mentioning the idea that Almore murdered his wife and then used his influence to get it hushed up?
3. What does Dobbs say he's going to charge Marlowe with?
4. How does Degarmo react when Marlowe tells him about Mrs. Fallbrook?
5. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
6. What conditions does Marlowe discover in the apartment he enters after leaving the murdered woman's apartment?
7. What does Marlowe say about Muriel's explanation of why she went back to Lavery's the morning after the murder?
8. As Degarmo seemingly gets away, what sentiment does Marlowe utter twice?
9. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
10. How does Grayson describe Dr. Almore's practice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lady in the Lake has multiple antagonists who have different goals. Discuss the antagonists in the novel.
1) What antagonists in the novel are obvious and what antagonists are hidden? How do multiple antagonists function in the genre to create mystery and conflict?
2) Discuss Degarmo and Mildred Haviland as antagonists. What different roles do they fill?
3) How do the police function as antagonists?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Phillip Marlowe encounters corruption, both moral and ethical. Discuss corruption in the novel.
1) How are the police in the novel corrupt, and how does Marlowe perceive that corruption?
2) What kinds of moral corruption does Marlowe face among the people he comes into contact with? How is that moral corruption related to the corruption of the police?
3) How does Marlowe deal with temptations to corruption, such as Kingsley offering him money to cover up a murder?
Essay Topic 3
The mystery in the novel is created through deception. Discuss deception in the novel.
1) How are appearances deceptive in the novel? How does Marlowe deal with and untangle deceptive appearances?
2) How do characters in the novel deceive each other? What are the motives for deceit?
3) In what ways is Marlowe deceptive? Why? Is deception merely an ethically neutral tool, or is it a bad thing?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)