|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlowe awakes, what does the picture he sees portray?
2. When Degarmo first pulls his gun, where is it pointed?
3. Where does Marlowe suggest Muriel Chess drowned Crystal Kingsley?
4. What evidence does Marlowe have that Degarmo killed his wife?
5. What does the woman at the bungalow in Westmore Street assume Marlowe is there for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
2. How does Degarmo react to Marlowe mentioning the idea that Almore murdered his wife and then used his influence to get it hushed up?
3. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
4. Where and in what condition do Marlowe and Patton find the car that Degarmo escaped in?
5. How does Grayson describe Dr. Almore's practice?
6. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
7. How does Marlowe get out of the apartment at the Granada?
8. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
9. After Patton shoots at Degarmo, what does Degarmo do?
10. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a crime novel, The Lady in the Lake is concerned with justice. Discuss justice in the novel.
1) What does Marlowe consider justice to be?
2) How does the law deliver justice, or does it? What is the relationship between the law and justice?
3) Does the novel deliver justice to its characters? In what ways?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Phillip Marlowe encounters corruption, both moral and ethical. Discuss corruption in the novel.
1) How are the police in the novel corrupt, and how does Marlowe perceive that corruption?
2) What kinds of moral corruption does Marlowe face among the people he comes into contact with? How is that moral corruption related to the corruption of the police?
3) How does Marlowe deal with temptations to corruption, such as Kingsley offering him money to cover up a murder?
Essay Topic 3
The Lady in the Lake is structured in 41 short chapters. Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author choose many short chapters instead of longer ones? Why are some conversations spread over more than one chapter?
2) What is the climax of the novel? How does the novel build to the climax, and how does it resolve?
3) What stages does Marlowe go through in his journey to unravel the truth?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)