|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Fromsett say when Degarmo and Marlowe ask her where Kingsley is?
2. Does Marlowe think Mrs. Almore was alive when she was brought to the garage?
3. As Marlowe and Degarmo drive toward the lake cabin, what does Marlowe accuse Degarmo of?
4. What expression is on Patton's face when Marlowe says Degarmo knows Marlowe has already proved Mrs. Kingsley innocent?
5. Who is the envelope Marlowe finds in his office from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Talley's attitude?
2. How does Grayson describe Mr. Talley?
3. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
4. As Degarmo seemingly gets away, what sentiment does Marlowe utter twice?
5. How does Degarmo react when Marlowe tells him about Mrs. Fallbrook?
6. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
7. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
8. What does Marlowe say about Muriel's explanation of why she went back to Lavery's the morning after the murder?
9. How does Degarmo react to Marlowe mentioning the idea that Almore murdered his wife and then used his influence to get it hushed up?
10. What is the reaction of the younger policeman, Eddie, when he sees the gun on the table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lady in the Lake involves characters changing and hiding their Identities. Discuss the concept of identity in the novel.
1) How is identity obscured in the novel? Who attempts to obscure their identity, and why?
2) How do the characters know others' identities? How do characters create their identities?
3) How does Marlowe formulate his own identity? How do others perceive him?
Essay Topic 2
The Lady in the Lake is structured in 41 short chapters. Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author choose many short chapters instead of longer ones? Why are some conversations spread over more than one chapter?
2) What is the climax of the novel? How does the novel build to the climax, and how does it resolve?
3) What stages does Marlowe go through in his journey to unravel the truth?
Essay Topic 3
The mystery in the novel is created through deception. Discuss deception in the novel.
1) How are appearances deceptive in the novel? How does Marlowe deal with and untangle deceptive appearances?
2) How do characters in the novel deceive each other? What are the motives for deceit?
3) In what ways is Marlowe deceptive? Why? Is deception merely an ethically neutral tool, or is it a bad thing?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)