|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
2. What does Webber take off his desk and break, more than once during his interview with Marlowe?
3. What did Talley steal from Florence Almore's body?
4. What does Marlowe believe Almore saw?
5. Whose car is in Kingsley's garage when Degarmo and Marlowe go to Kingsley's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Patton shoots at Degarmo, what does Degarmo do?
2. How does the desk sergeant annoy Degarmo?
3. After leaving the crime scene, what does Degarmo try to convince the other police officer?
4. How does Degarmo act toward the sentries at the dam on the way to the cabin?
5. What does the parking attendant at the Grenada assume Marlowe is there for?
6. Where and in what condition do Marlowe and Patton find the car that Degarmo escaped in?
7. As Degarmo seemingly gets away, what sentiment does Marlowe utter twice?
8. What is the reaction of the younger policeman, Eddie, when he sees the gun on the table?
9. What reason does Marlowe give to Degarmo for telling Degarmo all Marlowe suspects, on the ride up to Kingsley's cabin?
10. What conditions does Marlowe discover in the apartment he enters after leaving the murdered woman's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lady in the Lake involves characters changing and hiding their Identities. Discuss the concept of identity in the novel.
1) How is identity obscured in the novel? Who attempts to obscure their identity, and why?
2) How do the characters know others' identities? How do characters create their identities?
3) How does Marlowe formulate his own identity? How do others perceive him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of women and the idea of the femme fatale in the novel.
1) What are the women in the novel like? Are there positive and negative women characters, and what are their qualities? How do they compare to real women?
2) Who in the novel is a femme fatale? How is any femme fatale in the novel similar to and different from the archetype of the femme fatale?
3) How do women treat men in the novel? How do men treat women?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is full of clues and implications inherent in events that Marlowe must interpret in order to find the truth. Discuss clues and implications in the novel.
1) How are clues that Marlowe finds deceptive? How do they give hints to the truth? How does Marlowe discern one from the other?
2) What does Marlowe infer from others' behavior? How is he able to make these inferences?
3) What does Marlowe infer from activity that he observes around him? How is observation and inference related? What skills does Marlowe use to make these inferences?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)