|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What car does Lavery drive?
2. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
3. What icon does Marlowe have on the business card that he doesn't give to Adrienne Fromsett?
4. What does the sheriff imply about Bill's note from Muriel?
5. Who does Marlowe suggest to Miss Fromsett might have killed Lavery, aside from Mrs. Kingsley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kingsley react to news of Muriel's death?
2. How does Marlowe handle his long wait in Kingsley's office lobby?
3. What things does Marlowe list that might have happened to Kingsley's wife?
4. Under what terms does Marlowe accept the offer of five hundred dollars from Kingsley?
5. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
6. Where is Lavery going, when he leaves the house?
7. What does Marlowe say to do about the handkerchief.
8. What does Marlowe say that they'll have to do to get financial information about Kingsley's wife?
9. What excuse does Bill Chess give for his erratic behavior?
10. What gives Marlowe a scare while he is searching the Chesses' cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marlowe's job puts him into dangerous situations. Discuss danger in the novel.
1) What causes danger in the novel? How is danger inherent in Marlowe's work?
2) How does Marlowe react to dangerous situations? What are his emotional responses? What are his intellectual responses, and what action does he take?
3) How do the antagonists in the novel react when they are in danger?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of women and the idea of the femme fatale in the novel.
1) What are the women in the novel like? Are there positive and negative women characters, and what are their qualities? How do they compare to real women?
2) Who in the novel is a femme fatale? How is any femme fatale in the novel similar to and different from the archetype of the femme fatale?
3) How do women treat men in the novel? How do men treat women?
Essay Topic 3
The Lady in the Lake is set in the summer, in Southern California. Both the heat and the locale impact the novel. Discuss the novel's setting.
1) What places in Southern California does Marlowe visit? How are these locations characteristic of Southern California? What lifestyles do they evoke?
2) Why does the author choose the summer to set the story in? What do the references to the heat accomplish in the novel?
3) How do Marlowe's descriptions of specific locations, like Kingsley's office or Lavery's home, set the tone for the novel and give information to the reader?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)