|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Marlowe knocks and rings at Lavery's door?
2. What is the woman Marlowe meets at Lavery's house holding?
3. What icon does Marlowe have on the business card that he doesn't give to Adrienne Fromsett?
4. What jarring action does Lavery take before Marlowe leaves?
5. What is Marlowe's first impression of Sheriff Patton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What items of interest does Marlowe find in Lavery's closet?
2. What does Lavery look like?
3. What does Marlowe say to do about the handkerchief.
4. Where is Lavery going, when he leaves the house?
5. What does Marlowe say that they'll have to do to get financial information about Kingsley's wife?
6. How does Mr. Kingsley feel about his secretary?
7. What do Bill Chess's wife and Kingsley's wife have in common?
8. What does Marlowe ask about that Lavery seems to react to, as if it makes him think or wonder something he's not saying?
9. What does Birdie know about Marlowe's identity?
10. What encounter did Kingsley have, that made him worried about his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mildred Haviland is a character, though she is not seen during most of the novel. Her story is the primary story Marlowe is uncovering. Discuss Mildred Haviland's character.
1) What is Mildred Haviland's motivation for murder? What makes her a killer?
2) Mildred Haviland is only seen under false identities. Why does she acquire false identities? What are the implications of her acting capabilities?
3) What does the reader know about Mildred Haviland's true character? How does the reader get to know her character? How does Marlowe get to know her character?
Essay Topic 2
Phillip Marlowe is the central character of the novel, and the whole plot is seen through his eyes. Discuss Marlowe's character.
1) How does Marlowe deal with his job, including managing clients, dealing with the police, and handling danger?
2) What is Marlowe's moral and ethical code? How does that code drive his actions?
3) What qualities does Marlowe have that make him a good detective? What does his job demand from him?
Essay Topic 3
Degarmo both brings Marlowe into the central mystery of the story and drives the ending of the novel. Discuss Degarmo's character.
1) Why does Degarmo try to protect his wife? Why does he ultimately kill her?
2) In what ways is Degarmo corrupt? What is the motivation behind his corruption?
3) How intelligent is Degarmo? What mistakes does he make? How does Marlowe see through him?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)