Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Birdie Keppel introduce herself as?
2. How does Marlowe describe Adrienne Fromsett?
3. Who does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say will want to talk to Marlowe before the inquest?
4. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
5. What does Derace Kingsley's company make?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of chapter fourteen, what does Marlowe tell Kingsley is his next step?
2. What encounter did Kingsley have, that made him worried about his wife?
3. What things does Marlowe list that might have happened to Kingsley's wife?
4. Where is Lavery going, when he leaves the house?
5. After Patton shoots at Degarmo, what does Degarmo do?
6. Where and in what condition do Marlowe and Patton find the car that Degarmo escaped in?
7. How does Kingsley react to news of Muriel's death?
8. What items of interest does Marlowe find in Lavery's closet?
9. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
10. How does Miss Fromsett describe Florence Almore?
Discuss the treatment of women and the idea of the femme fatale in the novel.
1) What are the women in the novel like? Are there positive and negative women characters, and what are their qualities? How do they compare to real women?
2) Who in the novel is a femme fatale? How is any femme fatale in the novel similar to and different from the archetype of the femme fatale?
3) How do women treat men in the novel? How do men treat women?
Degarmo both brings Marlowe into the central mystery of the story and drives the ending of the novel. Discuss Degarmo's character.
1) Why does Degarmo try to protect his wife? Why does he ultimately kill her?
2) In what ways is Degarmo corrupt? What is the motivation behind his corruption?
3) How intelligent is Degarmo? What mistakes does he make? How does Marlowe see through him?
The Lady in the Lake is structured in 41 short chapters. Discuss the novel's structure.
1) Why does the author choose many short chapters instead of longer ones? Why are some conversations spread over more than one chapter?
2) What is the climax of the novel? How does the novel build to the climax, and how does it resolve?
3) What stages does Marlowe go through in his journey to unravel the truth?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)