|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Degarmo accuse Marlowe of?
2. Degarmo asks Marlowe if someone hired him. Who?
3. What happens when Marlowe knocks and rings at Lavery's door?
4. What is on the mirror-topped table in Lavery's bedroom?
5. Where does Almore watch from, as the big, blond, blue-eyed man accosts Marlowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlowe ask about that Lavery seems to react to, as if it makes him think or wonder something he's not saying?
2. How does Kingsley act, when Marlowe first meets him?
3. What important information does the bellhop at the Prescott Hotel offer, based on the photo of Crystal Kingsley?
4. How does Kingsley react to news of Muriel's death?
5. How would you characterize the way that Miss Fromsett treats Marlowe?
6. What things does Marlowe list that might have happened to Kingsley's wife?
7. How does Mr. Kingsley feel about his secretary?
8. What reasons does Marlowe give that Lavery might be lying?
9. What gives Marlowe a scare while he is searching the Chesses' cabin?
10. What reason does Sheriff Patton give why Bill might have stayed in town if he killed his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Phillip Marlowe encounters corruption, both moral and ethical. Discuss corruption in the novel.
1) How are the police in the novel corrupt, and how does Marlowe perceive that corruption?
2) What kinds of moral corruption does Marlowe face among the people he comes into contact with? How is that moral corruption related to the corruption of the police?
3) How does Marlowe deal with temptations to corruption, such as Kingsley offering him money to cover up a murder?
Essay Topic 2
The Lady in the Lake has multiple antagonists who have different goals. Discuss the antagonists in the novel.
1) What antagonists in the novel are obvious and what antagonists are hidden? How do multiple antagonists function in the genre to create mystery and conflict?
2) Discuss Degarmo and Mildred Haviland as antagonists. What different roles do they fill?
3) How do the police function as antagonists?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is full of clues and implications inherent in events that Marlowe must interpret in order to find the truth. Discuss clues and implications in the novel.
1) How are clues that Marlowe finds deceptive? How do they give hints to the truth? How does Marlowe discern one from the other?
2) What does Marlowe infer from others' behavior? How is he able to make these inferences?
3) What does Marlowe infer from activity that he observes around him? How is observation and inference related? What skills does Marlowe use to make these inferences?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)