Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is the perfume Marlowe smelled in Lavery's bedroom the same kind Miss Fromsett wears?
2. Where did the sheriff find Muriel's anklet?
3. Degarmo asks Marlowe if someone hired him. Who?
4. When does Lavery say he was up at Little Fawn Lake?
5. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Marlowe call to verify where Kingsley has gone, once he guesses where it is?
2. How does Kingsley act, when Marlowe first meets him?
3. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
4. What items of interest does Marlowe find in Lavery's closet?
5. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
6. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
7. What things does Marlowe list that might have happened to Kingsley's wife?
8. What does Marlowe say about Muriel's explanation of why she went back to Lavery's the morning after the murder?
9. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
10. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
Essay Topic 1
The Lady in the Lake has multiple antagonists who have different goals. Discuss the antagonists in the novel.
1) What antagonists in the novel are obvious and what antagonists are hidden? How do multiple antagonists function in the genre to create mystery and conflict?
2) Discuss Degarmo and Mildred Haviland as antagonists. What different roles do they fill?
3) How do the police function as antagonists?
Essay Topic 2
Marlowe's job puts him into dangerous situations. Discuss danger in the novel.
1) What causes danger in the novel? How is danger inherent in Marlowe's work?
2) How does Marlowe react to dangerous situations? What are his emotional responses? What are his intellectual responses, and what action does he take?
3) How do the antagonists in the novel react when they are in danger?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, there are two ways to deal with problems and difficult situations: physical and mental prowess. Discuss physical and mental prowess in the novel.
1) When and how does Marlowe use physical force, intimidation, or threat? Why does Marlowe use these tactics?
2) When and how does Marlowe use mental deduction, bluffing, or other mental tactics? Why does Marlowe use these tactics?
3) Which is more important in the novel, the mental or the physical? Which has greater value attached to it?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)