|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What jarring action does Lavery take before Marlowe leaves?
2. Where was Crystal Kingsley's car discovered?
3. How much money does Marlowe ask for as a retainer?
4. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
5. How does Marlowe describe Adrienne Fromsett?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives Marlowe a scare while he is searching the Chesses' cabin?
2. Where is Lavery going, when he leaves the house?
3. How does Marlowe know the name of the person who lives across the street from Lavery?
4. How does the woman in Lavery's house leave?
5. What does Marlowe say that they'll have to do to get financial information about Kingsley's wife?
6. Why does Marlowe initially sit in his car after visiting Lavery?
7. What does Birdie know about Marlowe's identity?
8. How does Mr. Kingsley feel about his secretary?
9. How would you characterize the way that Miss Fromsett treats Marlowe?
10. What encounter did Kingsley have, that made him worried about his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Phillip Marlowe encounters corruption, both moral and ethical. Discuss corruption in the novel.
1) How are the police in the novel corrupt, and how does Marlowe perceive that corruption?
2) What kinds of moral corruption does Marlowe face among the people he comes into contact with? How is that moral corruption related to the corruption of the police?
3) How does Marlowe deal with temptations to corruption, such as Kingsley offering him money to cover up a murder?
Essay Topic 2
The mystery in the novel is created through deception. Discuss deception in the novel.
1) How are appearances deceptive in the novel? How does Marlowe deal with and untangle deceptive appearances?
2) How do characters in the novel deceive each other? What are the motives for deceit?
3) In what ways is Marlowe deceptive? Why? Is deception merely an ethically neutral tool, or is it a bad thing?
Essay Topic 3
Phillip Marlowe is the central character of the novel, and the whole plot is seen through his eyes. Discuss Marlowe's character.
1) How does Marlowe deal with his job, including managing clients, dealing with the police, and handling danger?
2) What is Marlowe's moral and ethical code? How does that code drive his actions?
3) What qualities does Marlowe have that make him a good detective? What does his job demand from him?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)