|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
2. When does Lavery say he was up at Little Fawn Lake?
3. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
4. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
5. Why did Lavery think about marrying Crystal Kingsley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlowe say to do about the handkerchief.
2. What reasons does Marlowe give that Lavery might be lying?
3. What items of interest does Marlowe find in Lavery's closet?
4. How does Marlowe treat the bellhop captain?
5. How does Bill Chess respond when Marlowe asks if Muriel and Crystal might have gone away together?
6. How does Kingsley act, when Marlowe first meets him?
7. How does the woman in Lavery's house leave?
8. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
9. Where is Lavery going, when he leaves the house?
10. Why does Marlowe initially sit in his car after visiting Lavery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lady in the Lake has multiple antagonists who have different goals. Discuss the antagonists in the novel.
1) What antagonists in the novel are obvious and what antagonists are hidden? How do multiple antagonists function in the genre to create mystery and conflict?
2) Discuss Degarmo and Mildred Haviland as antagonists. What different roles do they fill?
3) How do the police function as antagonists?
Essay Topic 2
Degarmo both brings Marlowe into the central mystery of the story and drives the ending of the novel. Discuss Degarmo's character.
1) Why does Degarmo try to protect his wife? Why does he ultimately kill her?
2) In what ways is Degarmo corrupt? What is the motivation behind his corruption?
3) How intelligent is Degarmo? What mistakes does he make? How does Marlowe see through him?
Essay Topic 3
Phillip Marlowe is the central character of the novel, and the whole plot is seen through his eyes. Discuss Marlowe's character.
1) How does Marlowe deal with his job, including managing clients, dealing with the police, and handling danger?
2) What is Marlowe's moral and ethical code? How does that code drive his actions?
3) What qualities does Marlowe have that make him a good detective? What does his job demand from him?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)