|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building is Derace Kingsley's office in?
2. When Marlowe gets home, what does he dream about?
3. What is Kingsley afraid his wife might get in trouble for?
4. How much money does Marlowe ask for as a retainer?
5. When does Marlowe tell Chess that Kingsley's wife is missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe know the name of the person who lives across the street from Lavery?
2. What reason does Sheriff Patton give why Bill might have stayed in town if he killed his wife?
3. What excuse does Bill Chess give for his erratic behavior?
4. What does Marlowe notice about Lavery's phone?
5. What does Marlowe say that they'll have to do to get financial information about Kingsley's wife?
6. What does Lavery look like?
7. What reasons does Marlowe give that Lavery might be lying?
8. How does Miss Fromsett describe Florence Almore?
9. How does Bill Chess respond when Marlowe asks if Muriel and Crystal might have gone away together?
10. How does Mr. Kingsley feel about his secretary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Phillip Marlowe encounters corruption, both moral and ethical. Discuss corruption in the novel.
1) How are the police in the novel corrupt, and how does Marlowe perceive that corruption?
2) What kinds of moral corruption does Marlowe face among the people he comes into contact with? How is that moral corruption related to the corruption of the police?
3) How does Marlowe deal with temptations to corruption, such as Kingsley offering him money to cover up a murder?
Essay Topic 2
Phillip Marlowe is the central character of the novel, and the whole plot is seen through his eyes. Discuss Marlowe's character.
1) How does Marlowe deal with his job, including managing clients, dealing with the police, and handling danger?
2) What is Marlowe's moral and ethical code? How does that code drive his actions?
3) What qualities does Marlowe have that make him a good detective? What does his job demand from him?
Essay Topic 3
Marlowe's job puts him into dangerous situations. Discuss danger in the novel.
1) What causes danger in the novel? How is danger inherent in Marlowe's work?
2) How does Marlowe react to dangerous situations? What are his emotional responses? What are his intellectual responses, and what action does he take?
3) How do the antagonists in the novel react when they are in danger?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)