|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the detective who Mrs. Almore's parents hired to investigate her death sent to jail for?
2. Why did Lavery think about marrying Crystal Kingsley?
3. How many cars is the garage at Almore's house built to hold?
4. What is Lavery's arm like when Marlowe pulls at it?
5. Who does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say will want to talk to Marlowe before the inquest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important information does the bellhop at the Prescott Hotel offer, based on the photo of Crystal Kingsley?
2. What reasons does Marlowe give that Lavery might be lying?
3. How does Bill Chess respond when Marlowe asks if Muriel and Crystal might have gone away together?
4. How does Marlowe know the name of the person who lives across the street from Lavery?
5. Under what terms does Marlowe accept the offer of five hundred dollars from Kingsley?
6. What gives Marlowe a scare while he is searching the Chesses' cabin?
7. How does Kingsley act, when Marlowe first meets him?
8. What reason does Sheriff Patton give why Bill might have stayed in town if he killed his wife?
9. What items of interest does Marlowe find in Lavery's closet?
10. What encounter did Kingsley have, that made him worried about his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Phillip Marlowe encounters corruption, both moral and ethical. Discuss corruption in the novel.
1) How are the police in the novel corrupt, and how does Marlowe perceive that corruption?
2) What kinds of moral corruption does Marlowe face among the people he comes into contact with? How is that moral corruption related to the corruption of the police?
3) How does Marlowe deal with temptations to corruption, such as Kingsley offering him money to cover up a murder?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is full of clues and implications inherent in events that Marlowe must interpret in order to find the truth. Discuss clues and implications in the novel.
1) How are clues that Marlowe finds deceptive? How do they give hints to the truth? How does Marlowe discern one from the other?
2) What does Marlowe infer from others' behavior? How is he able to make these inferences?
3) What does Marlowe infer from activity that he observes around him? How is observation and inference related? What skills does Marlowe use to make these inferences?
Essay Topic 3
Marlowe's job puts him into dangerous situations. Discuss danger in the novel.
1) What causes danger in the novel? How is danger inherent in Marlowe's work?
2) How does Marlowe react to dangerous situations? What are his emotional responses? What are his intellectual responses, and what action does he take?
3) How do the antagonists in the novel react when they are in danger?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)