|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the woman at the bungalow in Westmore Street assume Marlowe is there for?
(a) To involve Talley in a crime.
(b) To arrest Talley.
(c) To tell her where Talley is.
(d) To collect an unpaid bill.
2. What did Talley steal from Florence Almore's body?
(a) A green velvet shoe.
(b) A white silk glove.
(c) A red lace handkerchief.
(d) A small beaded coin purse.
3. Is Marlowe charged with a crime?
(a) No, because Webber intervenes before the papers are filed.
(b) Yes, but the paperwork gets "lost."
(c) Yes, but the charges are dropped after he talks with Webber.
(d) No, he is never officially booked.
4. Who breaks the news to Kingsley that his wife is dead?
(c) Sheriff Patton.
5. What choice does Marlowe give the woman he meets at the Peacock Lounge?
(a) She must either come with him, or he'll take her by force.
(b) She must either give herself up, or he'll turn her in.
(c) She must either talk with her husband or get no money.
(d) She must talk with either him or the cops.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Degarmo's status with the police at the time of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
2. Who talked to Mrs. Kingsley when she called to ask for money?
3. When Marlowe awakes, what does he reek of?
4. What does Patton say he would have done, if he'd thought of the idea that the body in the lake might have been Crystal Kingsley instead of Muriel Chess?
5. What kind of flowers are on Miss Fromsett's earrings, when she comes to Marlowe's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grayson describe Mr. Talley?
2. How does Marlowe get out of the apartment at the Granada?
3. What does Dobbs say he's going to charge Marlowe with?
4. How does Grayson describe Dr. Almore's practice?
5. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
6. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
7. How does Degarmo act toward the sentries at the dam on the way to the cabin?
8. What does Marlowe say about Muriel's explanation of why she went back to Lavery's the morning after the murder?
9. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
10. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)