|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Degarmo first pulls his gun, where is it pointed?
(a) At Patton.
(b) At Marlowe.
(c) At the floor.
(d) At Kingsley.
2. What is Dobbs doing in two weeks?
(a) He's retiring.
(b) He's going to work as a security guard.
(c) He's going into the army.
(d) He's getting promoted.
3. What does Marlowe do with his gun when he's stopped by the police?
(a) He hides it in his pocket.
(b) He puts it in his lap.
(c) He holsters it.
(d) He puts it back in the glove compartment.
4. Who talked to Mrs. Kingsley when she called to ask for money?
(a) Miss Fromsett.
(c) Mr. Kingsley.
(d) The telephone operator.
5. What misleading statement does Marlowe give Degarmo?
(a) That he saw the face of the man who hit him.
(b) That Mrs. Kingsley didn't confess to anything before pulling the gun.
(c) That he saw Kingsley wearing the scarf earlier in the evening.
(d) That he doesn't remember what happened after he arrived in the apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Degarmo do as he draws his weapon on Patton?
2. What does Degarmo call the other cop at the scene of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
3. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
4. Who calls Sheriff Patton's office to tell them where Degarmo is?
5. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Degarmo react when Marlowe tells him about Mrs. Fallbrook?
2. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
3. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
4. What does the parking attendant at the Grenada assume Marlowe is there for?
5. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
6. According to Marlowe, why did Muriel Chess have an affair with Lavery?
7. How does Degarmo react to Marlowe mentioning the idea that Almore murdered his wife and then used his influence to get it hushed up?
8. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
9. How does the desk sergeant annoy Degarmo?
10. After leaving the crime scene, what does Degarmo try to convince the other police officer?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)