|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the Graysons suspect Dr. Almore of having an affair with?
(a) Crystal Kingsley.
(b) Mildred Haviland.
(c) Miss Fromsett.
(d) A woman whose name neither one knows.
2. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A stick of gum.
(c) A carnation.
(d) A pencil.
3. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
(a) In Degarmo's unmarked car.
(b) In a taxi.
(c) In a police squad car.
(d) In Marlowe's car.
4. What does Patton say about his stomach?
(a) His big belly makes a nice target.
(b) It's been growling all morning, waiting for Degarmo and Marlowe.
(c) His belly keeps growing and growing from sitting behind a desk.
(d) It tells him that Kingsley's no murderer.
5. What do Degarmo and Marlowe stop for at Crestline?
(a) A beer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the window of the gift shop next to the Peacock Lounge?
2. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
3. How much does it cost Marlowe to leave his car in the Granada's garage?
4. What nationality is the boy who comes into the Peacock Lounge to sell papers?
5. Where does Patton's gunshot hit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Marlowe call to verify where Kingsley has gone, once he guesses where it is?
2. As Degarmo seemingly gets away, what sentiment does Marlowe utter twice?
3. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
4. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
5. How does Marlowe get out of the apartment at the Granada?
6. What is the reaction of the younger policeman, Eddie, when he sees the gun on the table?
7. Where and in what condition do Marlowe and Patton find the car that Degarmo escaped in?
8. What conditions does Marlowe discover in the apartment he enters after leaving the murdered woman's apartment?
9. How does Degarmo act toward the sentries at the dam on the way to the cabin?
10. What does Degarmo do when Patton makes it clear that he can't let Degarmo go?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)