|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Mrs. Kingsley killed?
(a) She was hit with a bottle.
(b) She was strangled.
(c) She was shot.
(d) She was stabbed.
2. What does Marlowe think of Degarmo's tactics?
(a) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are clever.
(b) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are funny.
(c) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are stupid.
(d) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are sly.
3. When Marlowe returns to Lavery's house to report the murder, what sound does he hear in the quiet house?
(a) The buzz of bees from the back yard.
(b) Dripping water from the bathroom.
(c) The ticking of a clock in the living room.
(d) The hum of a heater in the bedroom.
4. Is Marlowe charged with a crime?
(a) No, because Webber intervenes before the papers are filed.
(b) Yes, but the charges are dropped after he talks with Webber.
(c) Yes, but the paperwork gets "lost."
(d) No, he is never officially booked.
5. What is Dobbs doing in two weeks?
(a) He's going into the army.
(b) He's getting promoted.
(c) He's retiring.
(d) He's going to work as a security guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Degarmo first pulls his gun, where is it pointed?
2. What nationality is the boy who comes into the Peacock Lounge to sell papers?
3. What does Webber take off his desk and break, more than once during his interview with Marlowe?
4. What do Degarmo and Marlowe stop for at Crestline?
5. By what nickname does Miss Fromsett call Derace Kingsley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Degarmo do when Patton makes it clear that he can't let Degarmo go?
2. How does Grayson describe Dr. Almore's practice?
3. How does Grayson describe Mr. Talley?
4. What does Marlowe say about Muriel's explanation of why she went back to Lavery's the morning after the murder?
5. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
6. After leaving the crime scene, what does Degarmo try to convince the other police officer?
7. What does Marlowe notice happening on the street as he tries to talk to Mrs. Talley?
8. According to Marlowe, why did Muriel Chess have an affair with Lavery?
9. As Degarmo seemingly gets away, what sentiment does Marlowe utter twice?
10. How does the desk sergeant annoy Degarmo?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)