|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Marlowe believe Muriel Chess, a.k.a. Mildred Haviland, wrote to for money?
(a) Mrs. Kingsley.
(c) Dr. Almore.
2. Whose car is in Kingsley's garage when Degarmo and Marlowe go to Kingsley's house?
(a) The cook's.
(b) The gardner's.
(c) The maid's.
(d) The butler's.
3. Who calls Sheriff Patton's office to tell them where Degarmo is?
(a) The sergeant in charge of the Puma Lake dam sentries.
(b) A cop from San Bernardino.
(c) One of the cabin owners up at the lake.
(d) A reporter from the local paper.
4. Does Kingsley say he was in Bay City the previous night?
(a) No, he says he thought about it but didn't go.
(b) No, he says he didn't go there.
(c) Yes, he says he drove around but didn't see Marlowe or his wife.
(d) Yes, he says he followed Marlowe.
5. What evidence does Marlowe have that Degarmo killed his wife?
(a) Degarmo left matches at the crime scene.
(b) Degarmo was the only one who could have called in the murder.
(c) Degarmo left traces on the victim's clothing.
(d) Degarmo knew Marlowe was hit on the head without looking.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
2. What is Dobbs doing in two weeks?
3. When Marlowe awakes, what does he reek of?
4. What prevents Degarmo from getting away?
5. What does Captain Webber think of the investigation of Mrs. Almore's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Talley's attitude?
2. How does Marlowe get out of the apartment at the Granada?
3. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
4. What does Degarmo do when Patton makes it clear that he can't let Degarmo go?
5. What is the reaction of the younger policeman, Eddie, when he sees the gun on the table?
6. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
7. After Patton shoots at Degarmo, what does Degarmo do?
8. What does Dobbs say he's going to charge Marlowe with?
9. How does Grayson describe Dr. Almore's practice?
10. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)