|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Grayson smoke while talking to Marlowe?
(a) A pipe.
(b) A cigarette.
(d) A cigar.
2. What does Marlowe do with his gun when he's stopped by the police?
(a) He puts it back in the glove compartment.
(b) He holsters it.
(c) He puts it in his lap.
(d) He hides it in his pocket.
3. What reason does Mrs. Kingsley give for going back to Lavery's after shooting him?
(a) She wanted to geet rid of the gun.
(b) He had taken all her money.
(c) She had left behind a clue to her identity.
(d) She decided to try to frame someone else.
4. When Degarmo notices Marlowe is limping, what does he ask?
(a) If Marlowe got into a fight.
(b) If Marlowe had an accident.
(c) If Marlowe tripped over something.
(d) If Marlowe slept wrong.
5. What is Mrs. Grayson doing, when Marlowe comes to visit the Graysons?
(a) Ironing shirts.
(b) Cooking dinner.
(c) Darning socks.
(d) Polishing brass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police who stop Marlowe make him do?
2. What does Mrs. Kingsley do when Marlowe tells her Bill says she made a pass at him?
3. As Marlowe and Degarmo drive toward the lake cabin, what does Marlowe accuse Degarmo of?
4. Whose car is in Kingsley's garage when Degarmo and Marlowe go to Kingsley's house?
5. Who breaks the news to Kingsley that his wife is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Degarmo seemingly gets away, what sentiment does Marlowe utter twice?
2. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
3. According to Marlowe, why did Muriel Chess have an affair with Lavery?
4. What reason does Marlowe give to Degarmo for telling Degarmo all Marlowe suspects, on the ride up to Kingsley's cabin?
5. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
6. What conditions does Marlowe discover in the apartment he enters after leaving the murdered woman's apartment?
7. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
8. What does Dobbs say he's going to charge Marlowe with?
9. What is Mrs. Talley's attitude?
10. Who does Marlowe call to verify where Kingsley has gone, once he guesses where it is?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)