|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Marlowe believe Muriel Chess, a.k.a. Mildred Haviland, wrote to for money?
(b) Mrs. Kingsley.
(c) Dr. Almore.
2. What does Patton do, when he admits to Degarmo that he knew the woman in the photo Degarmo showed around town and didn't tell him?
(a) He blamed Degarmo.
(b) He says he would do the same thing again.
(c) He accuses Degarmo of deception.
(d) He apologizes.
3. What reason does Mrs. Kingsley give for going back to Lavery's after shooting him?
(a) She decided to try to frame someone else.
(b) She had left behind a clue to her identity.
(c) He had taken all her money.
(d) She wanted to geet rid of the gun.
4. What does Marlowe do when Mrs. Kingsley mentions the scarf he's wearing?
(a) He takes it off and puts it in his pocket.
(b) He takes it off and holds it in his hands.
(c) He takes it off and throws it on the floor.
(d) He takes it off and wraps it around her neck.
5. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
(a) A woman screaming.
(b) A harmonica playing.
(c) A guard laughing.
(d) A man rattling on the bars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Talley threaten to do if Marlowe won't leave?
2. What motives does Marlowe ascribe to Muriel Chess for killing Crystal Kingsley?
3. How does Degarmo leave the area of Kingsley's cabin?
4. What time do Degarmo and Marlowe arrive at Miss Fromsett's apartment building, according to the clerk's wristwatch?
5. When Marlowe awakes, what does the picture he sees portray?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
2. What reason does Marlowe give to Degarmo for telling Degarmo all Marlowe suspects, on the ride up to Kingsley's cabin?
3. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
4. What does Marlowe notice happening on the street as he tries to talk to Mrs. Talley?
5. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
6. What does Dobbs say he's going to charge Marlowe with?
7. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
8. How does Grayson describe Mr. Talley?
9. What is the reaction of the younger policeman, Eddie, when he sees the gun on the table?
10. How does Degarmo react to Marlowe mentioning the idea that Almore murdered his wife and then used his influence to get it hushed up?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)