|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the porch at the bungalow in Westmore Street where Marlowe goes looking for Talley?
(a) A chair.
(b) A ladder.
(c) A bench swing.
(d) A tree.
2. Who is the envelope Marlowe finds in his office from?
(b) Miss Fromsett.
(c) An anonymous source.
3. What reason does Degarmo give for wanting to solve the murder case?
(a) To show up the captain.
(b) To avenge the woman's death.
(c) To nail Marlowe on a solid rap.
(d) To keep his job on the police force.
4. Does Kingsley say he was in Bay City the previous night?
(a) Yes, he says he drove around but didn't see Marlowe or his wife.
(b) Yes, he says he followed Marlowe.
(c) No, he says he didn't go there.
(d) No, he says he thought about it but didn't go.
5. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
(a) A woman screaming.
(b) A man rattling on the bars.
(c) A guard laughing.
(d) A harmonica playing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
2. What does Webber take off his desk and break, more than once during his interview with Marlowe?
3. What do the police who stop Marlowe make him do?
4. What expression is on Patton's face when Marlowe says Degarmo knows Marlowe has already proved Mrs. Kingsley innocent?
5. Who talked to Mrs. Kingsley when she called to ask for money?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Patton shoots at Degarmo, what does Degarmo do?
2. How does Degarmo react to Marlowe mentioning the idea that Almore murdered his wife and then used his influence to get it hushed up?
3. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
4. What is Mrs. Talley's attitude?
5. What does Marlowe notice happening on the street as he tries to talk to Mrs. Talley?
6. How does the desk sergeant annoy Degarmo?
7. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
8. As Degarmo seemingly gets away, what sentiment does Marlowe utter twice?
9. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
10. What is the reaction of the younger policeman, Eddie, when he sees the gun on the table?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)