|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marlowe brushes his hair, what does he notice about it?
(a) It's got blood in it.
(b) It needs to be washed.
(c) It's got a lot of gray in it.
(d) It needs to be cut.
2. Who breaks the news to Kingsley that his wife is dead?
(a) Sheriff Patton.
3. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
(a) A carnation.
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A stick of gum.
(d) A pencil.
4. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
(a) He smacks Degarmo.
(b) He grabs Marlowe's arm.
(c) He clenches his fists.
(d) He grabs his face.
5. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches his apartment?
(a) The sound of glass breaking.
(b) His telephone ringing.
(c) Two men talking.
(d) His radio playing.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Marlowe and Degarmo drive toward the lake cabin, what does Marlowe accuse Degarmo of?
2. What does the woman at the bungalow in Westmore Street assume Marlowe is there for?
3. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
4. What does Marlowe believe Almore saw?
5. What is in the window of the gift shop next to the Peacock Lounge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
2. What reason does Marlowe give to Degarmo for telling Degarmo all Marlowe suspects, on the ride up to Kingsley's cabin?
3. How does Degarmo react to Marlowe mentioning the idea that Almore murdered his wife and then used his influence to get it hushed up?
4. What is the big coincidence that Marlowe identifies in the case?
5. How does Degarmo react when Marlowe tells him about Mrs. Fallbrook?
6. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
7. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
8. What is Mrs. Talley's attitude?
9. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
10. How does Grayson describe Mr. Talley?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)