|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
(a) He says the captain already knows.
(b) He says Marlowe better keep his mouth shut.
(c) He says Marlowe can talk about it all he likes.
(d) He says they never met before.
2. How was Mrs. Kingsley killed?
(a) She was hit with a bottle.
(b) She was stabbed.
(c) She was shot.
(d) She was strangled.
3. What time do Degarmo and Marlowe arrive at Miss Fromsett's apartment building, according to the clerk's wristwatch?
(a) Two fourty-six in the morning.
(b) Three seventeen in the morning.
(c) Three fifty-four in the morning.
(d) Four twenty-three in the morning.
4. What does Miss Fromsett say when Degarmo and Marlowe ask her where Kingsley is?
(a) That she doesn't know.
(b) That she will tell them tomorrow.
(c) That she knows but won't tell them.
(d) That she can't tell them whether she knows.
5. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
(a) That her gun is going to misfire.
(b) That she's too close and the gun safety isn't off.
(c) That he saw a man moving behind the curtain.
(d) That he's heard a noise out in the hallway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Grayson doing, when Marlowe comes to visit the Graysons?
2. What does Patton do, when he admits to Degarmo that he knew the woman in the photo Degarmo showed around town and didn't tell him?
3. What does Marlowe do when Webber asks him to promise to keep what he's told Marlowe quiet?
4. What misleading statement does Marlowe give Degarmo?
5. When Degarmo first pulls his gun, where is it pointed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
2. How does Grayson describe Mr. Talley?
3. After Patton shoots at Degarmo, what does Degarmo do?
4. How does Degarmo react to Marlowe mentioning the idea that Almore murdered his wife and then used his influence to get it hushed up?
5. Where and in what condition do Marlowe and Patton find the car that Degarmo escaped in?
6. How does Marlowe get out of the apartment at the Granada?
7. What does Marlowe say about Muriel's explanation of why she went back to Lavery's the morning after the murder?
8. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
9. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
10. How does Grayson describe Dr. Almore's practice?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)