|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Sheriff Patton's office to tell them where Degarmo is?
(a) The sergeant in charge of the Puma Lake dam sentries.
(b) One of the cabin owners up at the lake.
(c) A reporter from the local paper.
(d) A cop from San Bernardino.
2. What is Dobbs doing in two weeks?
(a) He's going to work as a security guard.
(b) He's going into the army.
(c) He's getting promoted.
(d) He's retiring.
3. What time is it when Marlowe looks at his watch in the jail cell?
(a) Eleven sixteen.
(b) Eight twenty-three.
(c) Nine fifty-four.
(d) Ten thirty-five.
4. What is Mrs. Grayson doing, when Marlowe comes to visit the Graysons?
(a) Ironing shirts.
(b) Cooking dinner.
(c) Darning socks.
(d) Polishing brass.
5. When Marlowe returns to Lavery's house to report the murder, what sound does he hear in the quiet house?
(a) The hum of a heater in the bedroom.
(b) The ticking of a clock in the living room.
(c) Dripping water from the bathroom.
(d) The buzz of bees from the back yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlowe brushes his hair, what does he notice about it?
2. What does Marlowe do when Mrs. Kingsley mentions the scarf he's wearing?
3. What does Mrs. Talley threaten to do if Marlowe won't leave?
4. What does Miss Fromsett say when Degarmo and Marlowe ask her where Kingsley is?
5. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the desk sergeant annoy Degarmo?
2. What does Marlowe say about Muriel's explanation of why she went back to Lavery's the morning after the murder?
3. After Patton shoots at Degarmo, what does Degarmo do?
4. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
5. How does Degarmo react when Marlowe tells him about Mrs. Fallbrook?
6. What reason does Marlowe give Mrs. Kingsley that she'll miss him?
7. What conditions does Marlowe discover in the apartment he enters after leaving the murdered woman's apartment?
8. How does Degarmo act toward the sentries at the dam on the way to the cabin?
9. Who does Marlowe call to verify where Kingsley has gone, once he guesses where it is?
10. What does Degarmo do when Patton makes it clear that he can't let Degarmo go?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)