|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Kingsley's body, when Marlowe awakes?
(a) On a bed.
(b) On a couch.
(c) In the bathtub.
(d) On the floor.
2. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
(a) That he's heard a noise out in the hallway.
(b) That she's too close and the gun safety isn't off.
(c) That her gun is going to misfire.
(d) That he saw a man moving behind the curtain.
3. Why does Cooney want to beat up Marlowe, after Dobbs tells him to stop?
(a) Marlowe insulted him.
(b) Marlowe spit at him.
(c) Marlowe hit him in the face and made his nose bleed.
(d) Marlowe hit him in his sore knee, where he'd once been shot.
4. Does Kingsley say he was in Bay City the previous night?
(a) No, he says he thought about it but didn't go.
(b) Yes, he says he drove around but didn't see Marlowe or his wife.
(c) Yes, he says he followed Marlowe.
(d) No, he says he didn't go there.
5. Where does Marlowe suggest Muriel Chess drowned Crystal Kingsley?
(a) In the lake.
(b) In the Kingsley's bathtub.
(c) In the Chess's bathtub.
(d) In a washtub outside the cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches his apartment?
2. What evidence does Marlowe have that Degarmo killed his wife?
3. What does Webber take off his desk and break, more than once during his interview with Marlowe?
4. Who talked to Mrs. Kingsley when she called to ask for money?
5. When Marlowe awakes, what does he reek of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of the younger policeman, Eddie, when he sees the gun on the table?
2. According to Marlowe, why did Muriel Chess have an affair with Lavery?
3. What does Marlowe say about Muriel's explanation of why she went back to Lavery's the morning after the murder?
4. After Patton shoots at Degarmo, what does Degarmo do?
5. Who does Marlowe call to verify where Kingsley has gone, once he guesses where it is?
6. What does Dobbs say he's going to charge Marlowe with?
7. What does Webber do, when Marlowe tells him about being threatened by Degarmo?
8. What does Degarmo do when Patton makes it clear that he can't let Degarmo go?
9. How does Degarmo act toward the sentries at the dam on the way to the cabin?
10. Why is Marlowe surprised that Mrs. Kingsley would need money from her husband?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)