|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
(a) Because their houses look so similar to each other.
(b) Because they have the only two houses on the block.
(c) Because of how Almore looks at him.
(d) Because he sees a note from Almore in Lavery's house.
2. What are the initials on the handkerchief Marlowe finds in Lavery's room?
3. Is the perfume Marlowe smelled in Lavery's bedroom the same kind Miss Fromsett wears?
(a) No, it's a cheaper, synthetic scent.
(b) Yes, it's a scent she wears all the time.
(c) Yes, it's a scent she wears occassionally.
(d) No, it's the scent of a different type of flower.
4. What evidence does Marlowe think makes Bill unlikely to have murdered his wife?
(a) That Bill pointed out the body when he didn't have to.
(b) That Bill seemed upset at his wife's death.
(c) That Bill had kept his wife's note.
(d) That Bill seemed willing to talk about his wife.
5. Where does Almore watch from, as the big, blond, blue-eyed man accosts Marlowe?
(a) His car.
(b) His garage.
(c) His porch.
(d) His window.
Short Answer Questions
1. What communication did Kingsley receive after his wife went missing?
2. What does the guard at Puma Lake dam have Marlowe do before driving over?
3. What does Marlowe ask about that makes Bill Chess get defensive?
4. Is the Prescott Hotel bellhop able to identify Crystal Kingsley from Marlowe's photograph?
5. What reason doe Bill Chess at first assume Marlowe might want to look at the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe know the name of the person who lives across the street from Lavery?
2. Under what terms does Marlowe accept the offer of five hundred dollars from Kingsley?
3. How does Bill Chess respond when Marlowe asks if Muriel and Crystal might have gone away together?
4. At the end of chapter fourteen, what does Marlowe tell Kingsley is his next step?
5. How does Marlowe handle his long wait in Kingsley's office lobby?
6. What gives Marlowe a scare while he is searching the Chesses' cabin?
7. What does Marlowe say to do about the handkerchief.
8. How does Mr. Kingsley feel about his secretary?
9. What items of interest does Marlowe find in Lavery's closet?
10. How does Kingsley act, when Marlowe first meets him?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)