|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
(a) Gray and yellow.
(b) Blue and green.
(c) Black and gold.
(d) Silver and white.
2. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
(a) Because they have the only two houses on the block.
(b) Because of how Almore looks at him.
(c) Because he sees a note from Almore in Lavery's house.
(d) Because their houses look so similar to each other.
3. Where was Crystal Kingsley's car discovered?
(a) The Austin Arms Resort.
(b) The Tuscany Hotel.
(c) The Prescott Hotel.
(d) The Montaign Hotel.
4. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
(a) He doesn't want the murderer's fingerprints on it.
(b) He doesn't want any fingerprints on it.
(c) He doesn't want Kingsley's fingerprints on it.
(d) He doesn't want his own fingerprints on it.
5. When was the party that Kingsley's wife was supposed to go to, but that she never showed up for?
(a) July 14.
(b) May 30.
(c) June 12.
(d) July 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fish does Chess say are in the lake?
2. What is the first thing Marlowe sees of the woman at Lavery's house?
3. When Marlowe confronts Kingsley with the gun from Lavery's, does Kingsley recognize it?
4. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
5. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlowe notice about Lavery's phone?
2. What does Marlowe ask about that Lavery seems to react to, as if it makes him think or wonder something he's not saying?
3. Under what terms does Marlowe accept the offer of five hundred dollars from Kingsley?
4. What reasons does Marlowe give that Lavery might be lying?
5. How does Marlowe handle his long wait in Kingsley's office lobby?
6. Where is Lavery going, when he leaves the house?
7. How would you characterize the way that Miss Fromsett treats Marlowe?
8. How does the woman in Lavery's house leave?
9. What does Bill Chess do to himself, after shouting at the sheriff to arrest him?
10. How does Miss Fromsett describe Florence Almore?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)