|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lavery tell Marlowe about Crystal Kingsley?
(a) He didn't go to El Paso with her and doesn't know where she is.
(b) He says he knows where she is but won't tell Marlowe.
(c) He went to El Paso with her briefly but doesn't know where she is.
(d) He won't tell Marlowe where she is or whether he even knows.
2. When Marlowe returns to the lake with the police, what has Bill Chess done?
(a) Pulled the body out of the water.
(b) Fainted on the edge of the lake.
(c) Gone missing.
(d) Gone to his cabin and passed out, drunk.
3. What stops Marlowe from leaving, when he reaches down to turn on his ignition?
(a) Marlowe's car doesn't start.
(b) Almore comes out of his house.
(c) A woman walks up the street.
(d) Lavery comes out of his house.
4. What is the first thing Kingsley does, when he goes into his private office with Marlowe?
(a) He takes the phone off the hook and turns off the intercom.
(b) He lights a cigar.
(c) He gets a file out of his desk drawer.
(d) He opens the safe.
5. What jarring action does Lavery take before Marlowe leaves?
(a) He spits on the rug.
(b) He slams the window shut.
(c) He laughs suddenly and inappropriately.
(d) He bangs his fist on the wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe find in Muriel Chess's bedroom that he thinks she wouldn't have left behind?
2. Where does the black Cadillac coupe come from that drives by Marlowe, as he is knocking at Lavery's door?
3. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
4. What does Marlowe identify as Bill's biggest problem, if he killed Muriel?
5. When does Lavery say he was up at Little Fawn Lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlowe notice about Lavery's phone?
2. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
3. What does Birdie know about Marlowe's identity?
4. At the end of chapter fourteen, what does Marlowe tell Kingsley is his next step?
5. How does Marlowe handle his long wait in Kingsley's office lobby?
6. What reason does Sheriff Patton give why Bill might have stayed in town if he killed his wife?
7. What important information does the bellhop at the Prescott Hotel offer, based on the photo of Crystal Kingsley?
8. How does Bill Chess respond when Marlowe asks if Muriel and Crystal might have gone away together?
9. What does Bill Chess do to himself, after shouting at the sheriff to arrest him?
10. How would you characterize the way that Miss Fromsett treats Marlowe?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)