|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What communication did Kingsley receive after his wife went missing?
(a) A package from her.
(b) A telegram signed by her.
(c) A letter signed by her.
(d) A phone call from her.
2. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
3. What does Marlowe say he's come to see Lavery about?
(a) A bank loan.
(b) His car payments.
(c) The purchase of some jewelry.
(d) His stock portfolio.
4. What does Marlowe ask about that makes Bill Chess get defensive?
(a) Whether Chess has lived there long.
(b) Whether Kingsley comes up often.
(c) Whether there is central heating.
(d) Whether the beds are comfortable.
5. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
(a) Gray and yellow.
(b) Blue and green.
(c) Silver and white.
(d) Black and gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. How well does Miss Fromsett say she knew Mrs. Almore?
2. Degarmo asks Marlowe if someone hired him. Who?
3. What does Marlowe find out about De Soto when he calls the police department?
4. What impression does Marlowe have from Miss Fromsett, after she gives him Chris Lavery's address?
5. Is the Prescott Hotel bellhop able to identify Crystal Kingsley from Marlowe's photograph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What encounter did Kingsley have, that made him worried about his wife?
2. How does Grayson describe Dr. Almore's practice?
3. What excuse does Bill Chess give for his erratic behavior?
4. Who is in the Peacock Lounge when Marlowe comes in?
5. How would you characterize the way that Miss Fromsett treats Marlowe?
6. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
7. What does Marlowe say to do about the handkerchief.
8. How does Miss Fromsett describe Florence Almore?
9. What does Marlowe say about Muriel's explanation of why she went back to Lavery's the morning after the murder?
10. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)