|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Marlowe ask for as a retainer?
(a) A hundred and fifty dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) A hundred dollars.
2. What is the first thing Marlowe sees of the woman at Lavery's house?
(a) Her hat.
(b) Her gloved hand.
(c) Her brown hair.
(d) Her shoe.
3. Who is waiting for Marlowe in Chess's cabin?
(b) Bill Chess.
(d) Sheriff Patton.
4. What is Marlowe's first impression of Sheriff Patton?
(a) He doesn't know what to make of the sheriff.
(b) He is antagonistic toward the sheriff.
(c) He distrusts the sheriff.
(d) He likes the sheriff.
5. Who found Florence Almore's body?
(a) Lou Condy.
(b) Miss Fromsett.
(c) Chris Lavery.
(d) Dr. Almore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches the nearest cabin at the lake?
2. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
3. Who does Marlowe suggest to Miss Fromsett might have killed Lavery, aside from Mrs. Kingsley?
4. Who does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say will want to talk to Marlowe before the inquest?
5. Where does Miss Fromsett say she'll look for the name of Mrs. Almore's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what terms does Marlowe accept the offer of five hundred dollars from Kingsley?
2. What does Bill Chess do to himself, after shouting at the sheriff to arrest him?
3. How would you characterize the way that Miss Fromsett treats Marlowe?
4. How does Kingsley react to news of Muriel's death?
5. What does Birdie know about Marlowe's identity?
6. What excuse does Bill Chess give for his erratic behavior?
7. How does Mr. Kingsley feel about his secretary?
8. At the end of chapter fourteen, what does Marlowe tell Kingsley is his next step?
9. What gives Marlowe a scare while he is searching the Chesses' cabin?
10. How does Bill Chess respond when Marlowe asks if Muriel and Crystal might have gone away together?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)