|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far behind in his rent does the woman say Lavery is?
(a) Two months.
(b) Four months.
(c) Five months.
(d) Three months.
2. What name does Marlowe give the woman he meets in Lavery's house?
(a) Phillip Marlowe.
(b) Perry Martin.
(c) Paulo Nuncio.
(d) Philo Vance.
3. What communication did Kingsley receive after his wife went missing?
(a) A letter signed by her.
(b) A telegram signed by her.
(c) A phone call from her.
(d) A package from her.
4. What reason doe Bill Chess at first assume Marlowe might want to look at the cabin?
(a) Because he might find a clue to Crystal Kingsley's whereabouts.
(b) Because he might be an inspector.
(c) Because he might be interested in architecture.
(d) Because he might want to buy it.
5. What room does Marlowe find locked?
(a) The den.
(b) The kitchen pantry.
(c) A closet.
(d) The bathroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe identify as Bill's biggest problem, if he killed Muriel?
2. What is on the mirror-topped table in Lavery's bedroom?
3. What reason does Lavery give that Crystal Kingsley might have wanted to get back at him?
4. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches the nearest cabin at the lake?
5. What does Marlowe tell Kingsley that he'll have to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what terms does Marlowe accept the offer of five hundred dollars from Kingsley?
2. How does Bill Chess respond when Marlowe asks if Muriel and Crystal might have gone away together?
3. What does Bill Chess do to himself, after shouting at the sheriff to arrest him?
4. What things does Marlowe list that might have happened to Kingsley's wife?
5. Why does Marlowe initially sit in his car after visiting Lavery?
6. What does Lavery look like?
7. What items of interest does Marlowe find in Lavery's closet?
8. What reason does Sheriff Patton give why Bill might have stayed in town if he killed his wife?
9. How does Marlowe handle his long wait in Kingsley's office lobby?
10. What does Marlowe discover when he examines the item he takes from the woman in Lavery's house?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)