|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the mirror-topped table in Lavery's bedroom?
(a) A purple water bowl and pitcher.
(b) A crystal greyhound and a crystal cigarette box.
(c) A sculpture of a dove and one of a fox.
(d) A wooden pipe and a tobacco pouch.
2. What icon does Marlowe have on the business card that he doesn't give to Adrienne Fromsett?
(a) A fingerprint.
(b) A tommy gun.
(c) A magnifying glass.
(d) A large eye.
3. Where does Almore watch from, as the big, blond, blue-eyed man accosts Marlowe?
(a) His car.
(b) His garage.
(c) His porch.
(d) His window.
4. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
(a) Gray and yellow.
(b) Blue and green.
(c) Black and gold.
(d) Silver and white.
5. What does Marlowe identify as Bill's biggest problem, if he killed Muriel?
(a) Getting rid of any blood evidence in the house.
(b) Getting rid of Muriel's car.
(c) Explaining Muriel's disappearance to her friends.
(d) Getting rid of Muriel's clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
2. Who does Marlowe suggest to Miss Fromsett might have killed Lavery, aside from Mrs. Kingsley?
3. What is significant about the inscription on the gold heart Marlowe finds?
4. What impression does Marlowe have from Miss Fromsett, after she gives him Chris Lavery's address?
5. What is the first thing Kingsley does, when he goes into his private office with Marlowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the parking attendant at the Grenada assume Marlowe is there for?
2. How does Marlowe know the name of the person who lives across the street from Lavery?
3. How does the woman in Lavery's house leave?
4. How does Marlowe treat the bellhop captain?
5. What does Marlowe say about Muriel's explanation of why she went back to Lavery's the morning after the murder?
6. How does Grayson describe Mr. Talley?
7. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
8. What does Marlowe notice about Lavery's phone?
9. According to Marlowe, why did Muriel Chess have an affair with Lavery?
10. How would you characterize the way that Miss Fromsett treats Marlowe?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)