|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe find in Muriel Chess's bedroom that he thinks she wouldn't have left behind?
(a) A fashionable new hat.
(b) A silk slip.
(c) An expensive necklace.
(d) A tailored suit.
2. What jewelry does Adrienne Fromsett wear?
(a) A platinum ring.
(b) Diamond earrings.
(c) A linked bracelet.
(d) A pearl necklace.
3. What does Marlowe use to open the locked door?
(a) A nail file.
(b) A lockpick.
(c) A coat hanger.
(d) A pen.
4. What is on the mirror-topped table in Lavery's bedroom?
(a) A crystal greyhound and a crystal cigarette box.
(b) A wooden pipe and a tobacco pouch.
(c) A sculpture of a dove and one of a fox.
(d) A purple water bowl and pitcher.
5. Degarmo asks Marlowe if someone hired him. Who?
(a) "Her" boyfriend.
(b) "Her" parents.
(c) "Her" lawyer.
(d) "Her" husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Almore watch from, as the big, blond, blue-eyed man accosts Marlowe?
2. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
3. How many cars is the garage at Almore's house built to hold?
4. What car does Lavery drive?
5. What is Lavery's first reaction when Marlowe says he's working for Kingsley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Sheriff Patton give why Bill might have stayed in town if he killed his wife?
2. What important information does the bellhop at the Prescott Hotel offer, based on the photo of Crystal Kingsley?
3. What does Bill Chess do to himself, after shouting at the sheriff to arrest him?
4. How would you characterize the way that Miss Fromsett treats Marlowe?
5. How does Marlowe handle his long wait in Kingsley's office lobby?
6. How does Marlowe know the name of the person who lives across the street from Lavery?
7. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
8. What items of interest does Marlowe find in Lavery's closet?
9. Where is Lavery going, when he leaves the house?
10. How does Mr. Kingsley feel about his secretary?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)