|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Marlowe give the woman he meets in Lavery's house?
(a) Perry Martin.
(b) Paulo Nuncio.
(c) Philo Vance.
(d) Phillip Marlowe.
2. Is the Prescott Hotel bellhop able to identify Crystal Kingsley from Marlowe's photograph?
(a) Yes, after a minute, he identifies her.
(b) No, he says she didn't look like the photograph.
(c) No, he says blondes of that type all look similar.
(d) Yes, he identifies her immediately.
3. What is the woman Marlowe meets at Lavery's house holding?
(a) A knife.
(b) A chain.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A gun.
4. What does Marlowe tell Birdie?
(a) Marlowe tells Birdie the whole story, including why he's there and Chess's affair with Crystal.
(b) Marlowe tells Birdie nothing, saying he'll let the sheriff decide what to tell her.
(c) Marlowe tells Birdie what happened at the lake, leaving out his profession and why he's there.
(d) Marlowe confirms that Muriel's body was discovered but will say nothing else.
5. Why did Lavery think about marrying Crystal Kingsley?
(a) Because she has wild ideas.
(b) Because she has brains.
(c) Because she has money.
(d) Because she has beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Birdie Keppel introduce herself as?
2. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
3. How far behind in his rent does the woman say Lavery is?
4. What do most of the Athletic Club members seem to do in the club library?
5. What is Kingsley afraid his wife might get in trouble for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Sheriff Patton give why Bill might have stayed in town if he killed his wife?
2. At the end of chapter fourteen, what does Marlowe tell Kingsley is his next step?
3. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
4. How does Kingsley react to news of Muriel's death?
5. Under what terms does Marlowe accept the offer of five hundred dollars from Kingsley?
6. How does Marlowe know the name of the person who lives across the street from Lavery?
7. How does Marlowe treat the bellhop captain?
8. What items of interest does Marlowe find in Lavery's closet?
9. What does Marlowe say that they'll have to do to get financial information about Kingsley's wife?
10. Why does Marlowe initially sit in his car after visiting Lavery?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)