|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
(a) Disorganized but clean.
(b) Messy and disorganized.
(c) Clean and neat except for some glasses in the sink.
(d) Neat and tidy.
2. Why did Lavery think about marrying Crystal Kingsley?
(a) Because she has brains.
(b) Because she has money.
(c) Because she has wild ideas.
(d) Because she has beauty.
3. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
(a) Because they have the only two houses on the block.
(b) Because their houses look so similar to each other.
(c) Because of how Almore looks at him.
(d) Because he sees a note from Almore in Lavery's house.
4. How does Marlowe see Almore telephoning?
(a) Almore has opened his window curtains.
(b) Marlowe takes out a pair of binoculars to look through a crack in the curtains.
(c) Marlowe sneaks up to the house and looks through the window.
(d) Almore takes his telephone out on the back porch.
5. Where did the sheriff find Muriel's anklet?
(a) In a hollowed-out book.
(b) In a box of confectioner's sugar.
(c) In a cookie jar.
(d) In a sofa cushion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe find in Muriel Chess's bedroom that he thinks she wouldn't have left behind?
2. What is Kingsley afraid his wife might get in trouble for?
3. What does Bill Chess throw in the water to recover the body?
4. Who does Marlowe suggest to Miss Fromsett might have killed Lavery, aside from Mrs. Kingsley?
5. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
2. How does Marlowe know the name of the person who lives across the street from Lavery?
3. What does Lavery look like?
4. How does Mr. Kingsley feel about his secretary?
5. How would you characterize the way that Miss Fromsett treats Marlowe?
6. What reasons does Marlowe give that Lavery might be lying?
7. How does Marlowe handle his long wait in Kingsley's office lobby?
8. What does Marlowe discover when he examines the item he takes from the woman in Lavery's house?
9. What does Marlowe say to do about the handkerchief.
10. What does Bill Chess do to himself, after shouting at the sheriff to arrest him?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)