|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe tell Kingsley that he'll have to do?
(a) Stay in the mountain town at least a week.
(b) Explain why he's there and testify at an inquest.
(c) Drop the case.
(d) Investigate Muriel Chess's death.
2. Where does the Prescott Hotel bellhop say he's from?
(a) Amarillo, Texas.
(b) Rock Cove, Maine.
(c) Portland, Oregon.
(d) Short Springs, Kentucky.
3. What does the guard at Puma Lake dam have Marlowe do before driving over?
(a) Roll up his windows.
(b) Take a sobriety test.
(c) Pay an impromptu toll.
(d) Present his identification.
4. When Marlowe confronts Kingsley with the gun from Lavery's, does Kingsley recognize it?
(a) Yes, he says it's his gun.
(b) No, he's certain he's never seen it before.
(c) Yes, he says it's his wife's gun.
(d) No, he can't be sure.
5. Why did Lavery think about marrying Crystal Kingsley?
(a) Because she has wild ideas.
(b) Because she has beauty.
(c) Because she has money.
(d) Because she has brains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the initials on the handkerchief Marlowe finds in Lavery's room?
2. What does Degarmo accuse Marlowe of?
3. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches the nearest cabin at the lake?
4. Where do Marlowe and Miss Fromsett go to talk privately?
5. What does Marlowe see in the water that looks like underwatter flooring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kingsley act, when Marlowe first meets him?
2. What items of interest does Marlowe find in Lavery's closet?
3. What does Marlowe discover when he examines the item he takes from the woman in Lavery's house?
4. What do Bill Chess's wife and Kingsley's wife have in common?
5. What does Marlowe say that they'll have to do to get financial information about Kingsley's wife?
6. How does Marlowe treat the bellhop captain?
7. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
8. What excuse does Bill Chess give for his erratic behavior?
9. At the end of chapter fourteen, what does Marlowe tell Kingsley is his next step?
10. Under what terms does Marlowe accept the offer of five hundred dollars from Kingsley?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)