|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the black Cadillac coupe come from that drives by Marlowe, as he is knocking at Lavery's door?
(a) The cross-street to the north.
(b) The house across the street from Lavery's.
(c) The house next to Lavery's.
(d) The cross-street to the south.
2. What is Miss Fromsett's alibi for Lavery's murder?
(a) She was at the office.
(b) She was at a restaurant.
(c) She was at a beauty salon.
(d) She was at a drug store.
3. What clue does Marlowe see that Lavery was up at Little Fawn Lake?
(a) An arrangement of pine cones.
(b) An arrangement of lilac.
(c) A spray of dogwood.
(d) A spray of manzanita.
4. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
(a) Clean and neat except for some glasses in the sink.
(b) Neat and tidy.
(c) Disorganized but clean.
(d) Messy and disorganized.
5. How does Marlowe open the window of Bill Chess's cabin?
(a) With a lockpick.
(b) With a rock.
(c) With his fist.
(d) With a knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Marlowe knocks and rings at Lavery's door?
2. Is the Prescott Hotel bellhop able to identify Crystal Kingsley from Marlowe's photograph?
3. What room does Marlowe find locked?
4. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
5. What does Marlowe find in Muriel Chess's bedroom that he thinks she wouldn't have left behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe know the name of the person who lives across the street from Lavery?
2. Where is Lavery going, when he leaves the house?
3. How does Kingsley act, when Marlowe first meets him?
4. How does the woman in Lavery's house leave?
5. Under what terms does Marlowe accept the offer of five hundred dollars from Kingsley?
6. What gives Marlowe a scare while he is searching the Chesses' cabin?
7. What does Marlowe notice about Lavery's phone?
8. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
9. Why does Marlowe initially sit in his car after visiting Lavery?
10. How does Bill Chess respond when Marlowe asks if Muriel and Crystal might have gone away together?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)