|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marlowe returns to Lavery's house, what does he notice about the door?
(a) It's double-locked.
(b) It's got scratch marks on it.
(c) It's not quite shut.
(d) It's been forced open.
2. Did anyone tell Muriel about the man who was possibly looking for her, according to Birdie?
(a) No one Birdie knows of did.
(b) Bill Chess did.
(c) Jim Patton did.
(d) Birdie did.
3. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
4. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
(a) The Central Detective Bureau.
(b) The Private Investigator's Licensing Bureau.
(c) The Bay City Petty Crimes Division.
(d) The California Bureau of Investigation.
5. When Kingsley leaves his office, where does he tell Miss Fromsett he is going?
(a) To get his hair cut.
(b) To buy cigarettes.
(c) To get a newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Birdie say came to town looking for someone who might have been Muriel Chess?
2. Is the Prescott Hotel bellhop able to identify Crystal Kingsley from Marlowe's photograph?
3. What is the first thing Kingsley does, when he goes into his private office with Marlowe?
4. How does Marlowe see Almore telephoning?
5. How does Marlowe describe Adrienne Fromsett?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
2. What things does Marlowe list that might have happened to Kingsley's wife?
3. How does Marlowe handle his long wait in Kingsley's office lobby?
4. What important information does the bellhop at the Prescott Hotel offer, based on the photo of Crystal Kingsley?
5. How does Marlowe know the name of the person who lives across the street from Lavery?
6. What does Lavery look like?
7. What does Marlowe notice about Lavery's phone?
8. How does the woman in Lavery's house leave?
9. What excuse does Bill Chess give for his erratic behavior?
10. How does Kingsley react to news of Muriel's death?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)