|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marlowe returns to the lake with the police, what has Bill Chess done?
(a) Gone missing.
(b) Gone to his cabin and passed out, drunk.
(c) Pulled the body out of the water.
(d) Fainted on the edge of the lake.
2. What name does Marlowe give the woman he meets in Lavery's house?
(a) Perry Martin.
(b) Paulo Nuncio.
(c) Philo Vance.
(d) Phillip Marlowe.
3. What does Marlowe say he's come to see Lavery about?
(a) His car payments.
(b) A bank loan.
(c) The purchase of some jewelry.
(d) His stock portfolio.
4. What does Marlowe tell Kingsley that he'll have to do?
(a) Stay in the mountain town at least a week.
(b) Drop the case.
(c) Investigate Muriel Chess's death.
(d) Explain why he's there and testify at an inquest.
5. When was the party that Kingsley's wife was supposed to go to, but that she never showed up for?
(a) May 30.
(b) July 14.
(c) June 12.
(d) July 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the sheriff find Muriel's anklet?
2. Is the perfume Marlowe smelled in Lavery's bedroom the same kind Miss Fromsett wears?
3. What does the sheriff imply about Bill's note from Muriel?
4. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
5. What does Marlowe find out about De Soto when he calls the police department?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Degarmo seemingly gets away, what sentiment does Marlowe utter twice?
2. What important information does Marlowe gain from Captain Webber?
3. After leaving the crime scene, what does Degarmo try to convince the other police officer?
4. How does Marlowe treat the bellhop captain?
5. What things does Marlowe list that might have happened to Kingsley's wife?
6. How does Kingsley react to news of Muriel's death?
7. What does Marlowe ask about that Lavery seems to react to, as if it makes him think or wonder something he's not saying?
8. What does Marlowe discover when he examines the item he takes from the woman in Lavery's house?
9. Who does Marlowe call to verify where Kingsley has gone, once he guesses where it is?
10. What reason does Sheriff Patton give why Bill might have stayed in town if he killed his wife?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)