|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
(a) The Bay City Petty Crimes Division.
(b) The Private Investigator's Licensing Bureau.
(c) The California Bureau of Investigation.
(d) The Central Detective Bureau.
2. What communication did Kingsley receive after his wife went missing?
(a) A telegram signed by her.
(b) A package from her.
(c) A letter signed by her.
(d) A phone call from her.
3. Who does Birdie Keppel introduce herself as?
(a) The local beautician and newspaper reporter.
(b) The local bar owner and radio announcer.
(c) The local schoolteacher and mortician.
(d) The local nurse and medical examiner.
4. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
(a) Messy and disorganized.
(b) Disorganized but clean.
(c) Clean and neat except for some glasses in the sink.
(d) Neat and tidy.
5. When does Marlowe tell Chess that Kingsley's wife is missing?
(a) When Chess asks why Marlowe wants to be left alone in the house.
(b) When Chess sees Marlowe's detective license.
(c) When Chess asks why Marlowe is looking though Mrs. Kingsley's clothes.
(d) When Chess asks why Kingsley sent him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlowe confronts Kingsley with the gun from Lavery's, does Kingsley recognize it?
2. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
3. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
4. What does the guard at Puma Lake dam have Marlowe do before driving over?
5. When Marlowe returns to Lavery's house, what does he notice about the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill Chess do to himself, after shouting at the sheriff to arrest him?
2. What reason does Sheriff Patton give why Bill might have stayed in town if he killed his wife?
3. What reasons does Marlowe give that Lavery might be lying?
4. What excuse does Bill Chess give for his erratic behavior?
5. How does Bill Chess respond when Marlowe asks if Muriel and Crystal might have gone away together?
6. What do Bill Chess's wife and Kingsley's wife have in common?
7. How does Kingsley act, when Marlowe first meets him?
8. What does Lavery look like?
9. How does the woman in Lavery's house leave?
10. What things does Marlowe list that might have happened to Kingsley's wife?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)