|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What clue does Marlowe see that Lavery was up at Little Fawn Lake?
(a) A spray of manzanita.
(b) An arrangement of pine cones.
(c) A spray of dogwood.
(d) An arrangement of lilac.
2. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches the nearest cabin at the lake?
(a) A motorboat in the water.
(b) The sound of a chainsaw.
(c) Someone using an axe.
(d) A bear somewhere in the woods.
3. Where does the Prescott Hotel bellhop say he's from?
(a) Short Springs, Kentucky.
(b) Rock Cove, Maine.
(c) Amarillo, Texas.
(d) Portland, Oregon.
4. What car does Lavery drive?
(a) A green sedan.
(b) A blue convertable.
(c) A red sports car.
(d) A sleek, black two-seater.
5. Why did Lavery think about marrying Crystal Kingsley?
(a) Because she has beauty.
(b) Because she has brains.
(c) Because she has money.
(d) Because she has wild ideas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley, before explaining what he's discovered?
2. When does Lavery say he was up at Little Fawn Lake?
3. When Kingsley leaves his office, where does he tell Miss Fromsett he is going?
4. What floor is Marlowe's room on, at the Prescott Hotel?
5. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the woman in Lavery's house leave?
2. How does Kingsley react to news of Muriel's death?
3. What encounter did Kingsley have, that made him worried about his wife?
4. What excuse does Bill Chess give for his erratic behavior?
5. What does Lavery look like?
6. How does Bill Chess respond when Marlowe asks if Muriel and Crystal might have gone away together?
7. What important information does the bellhop at the Prescott Hotel offer, based on the photo of Crystal Kingsley?
8. What do Bill Chess's wife and Kingsley's wife have in common?
9. What does Marlowe say that they'll have to do to get financial information about Kingsley's wife?
10. Under what terms does Marlowe accept the offer of five hundred dollars from Kingsley?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)