|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Marlowe tell Chess that Kingsley's wife is missing?
(a) When Chess asks why Kingsley sent him.
(b) When Chess asks why Marlowe wants to be left alone in the house.
(c) When Chess sees Marlowe's detective license.
(d) When Chess asks why Marlowe is looking though Mrs. Kingsley's clothes.
2. What does Marlowe ask the Prescott Hotel bellhop to bring?
(a) A steak dinner and beer.
(b) Extra blankets.
(c) The hotel register.
(d) Ginger ale, glasses, and ice.
3. What is the woman Marlowe meets at Lavery's house holding?
(a) A knife.
(b) A gun.
(c) A chain.
(d) A scarf.
4. What is Marlowe's first impression of Sheriff Patton?
(a) He distrusts the sheriff.
(b) He doesn't know what to make of the sheriff.
(c) He is antagonistic toward the sheriff.
(d) He likes the sheriff.
5. Who does Marlowe suggest to Miss Fromsett might have killed Lavery, aside from Mrs. Kingsley?
(a) A stranger.
(b) Bill Chess.
(c) Mr. Kingsley.
(d) Dr. Almore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Crystal Kingsley's car discovered?
2. Where does the black Cadillac coupe come from that drives by Marlowe, as he is knocking at Lavery's door?
3. When Marlowe gets home, what does he dream about?
4. What is Lavery's first reaction when Marlowe says he's working for Kingsley?
5. How far behind in his rent does the woman say Lavery is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe treat the bellhop captain?
2. Where do Marlowe and Birdie go to talk?
3. What encounter did Kingsley have, that made him worried about his wife?
4. What does Bill Chess do to himself, after shouting at the sheriff to arrest him?
5. What reasons does Marlowe give that Lavery might be lying?
6. How does Mr. Kingsley feel about his secretary?
7. What excuse does Bill Chess give for his erratic behavior?
8. What does Marlowe notice about Lavery's phone?
9. What does Marlowe ask about that Lavery seems to react to, as if it makes him think or wonder something he's not saying?
10. How does Kingsley act, when Marlowe first meets him?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)