|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is the perfume Marlowe smelled in Lavery's bedroom the same kind Miss Fromsett wears?
(a) No, it's the scent of a different type of flower.
(b) Yes, it's a scent she wears all the time.
(c) Yes, it's a scent she wears occassionally.
(d) No, it's a cheaper, synthetic scent.
2. How much money does Marlowe ask for as a retainer?
(a) A hundred dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) A hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
3. What does Marlowe tell Kingsley that he'll have to do?
(a) Investigate Muriel Chess's death.
(b) Stay in the mountain town at least a week.
(c) Explain why he's there and testify at an inquest.
(d) Drop the case.
4. Who does Birdie say came to town looking for someone who might have been Muriel Chess?
(a) An elderly man from the midwest.
(b) A Los Angeles cop.
(c) A San Francisco private detective.
(d) A Las Vegas tough guy.
5. What is Lavery's arm like when Marlowe pulls at it?
(a) Cold and pliable.
(b) Cold and stiff.
(c) Warm and stiff.
(d) Warm and pliable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stops Marlowe from leaving, when he reaches down to turn on his ignition?
2. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
3. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
4. Where does the black Cadillac coupe come from that drives by Marlowe, as he is knocking at Lavery's door?
5. How long does Kingsley say he'll give Marlowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the woman in Lavery's house leave?
2. How does Miss Fromsett describe Florence Almore?
3. What things does Marlowe list that might have happened to Kingsley's wife?
4. What gives Marlowe a scare while he is searching the Chesses' cabin?
5. What excuse does Bill Chess give for his erratic behavior?
6. What does Lavery look like?
7. What does Marlowe discover when he examines the item he takes from the woman in Lavery's house?
8. How does Mr. Kingsley feel about his secretary?
9. How does Marlowe handle his long wait in Kingsley's office lobby?
10. What important information does the bellhop at the Prescott Hotel offer, based on the photo of Crystal Kingsley?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)