|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe do when Webber asks him to promise to keep what he's told Marlowe quiet?
(a) Marlowe gives his sincere promise to Webber.
(b) Marlowe nods but doesn't promise.
(c) Marlowe tells Webber that he can't promise.
(d) Marlowe promises, but he is lying.
2. What is Dobbs doing in two weeks?
(a) He's going into the army.
(b) He's retiring.
(c) He's going to work as a security guard.
(d) He's getting promoted.
3. What do the police who stop Marlowe make him do?
(a) Drink whiskey.
(b) Take a white pill.
(c) Give them his gun.
(d) Give them the keys to his car.
4. What does Patton say he would have done, if he'd thought of the idea that the body in the lake might have been Crystal Kingsley instead of Muriel Chess?
(a) Gone to the Los Angeles police.
(b) Tracked down the woman going under the name of Crystal Kingsley.
(c) Found a way to identify the body positively.
(d) Thrown the idea out as too far-fetched.
5. Who does Eddie tell his partner he hasn't called, because he thought homicide would do it?
(a) The coronor.
(b) The fingerprint technicians.
(c) The crime scene photographers.
(d) The district attorney.
6. Where is Mrs. Kingsley's body, when Marlowe awakes?
(a) In the bathtub.
(b) On a couch.
(c) On a bed.
(d) On the floor.
7. Is Marlowe charged with a crime?
(a) No, because Webber intervenes before the papers are filed.
(b) Yes, but the paperwork gets "lost."
(c) No, he is never officially booked.
(d) Yes, but the charges are dropped after he talks with Webber.
8. What does Marlowe believe Almore saw?
(a) Degarmo's former wife at Lavery's house.
(b) The gun that Lavery was killed with.
(c) Degarmo following Lavery.
(d) Degamo giving money to his former wife.
9. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A stick of gum.
(c) A carnation.
(d) A pencil.
10. How does Degarmo leave the area of Kingsley's cabin?
(a) In Kingsley's car.
(b) In Marlowe's car.
(c) In Patton's car.
(d) In Andy's car.
11. Does Marlowe think Mrs. Almore was alive when she was brought to the garage?
(a) No, he thinks she had been gassed upstairs.
(b) Yes, he thinks she was in a morphine coma.
(c) No, he thinks she had been poisoned.
(d) Yes, he thinks she was awake.
12. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
(a) That she's too close and the gun safety isn't off.
(b) That her gun is going to misfire.
(c) That he's heard a noise out in the hallway.
(d) That he saw a man moving behind the curtain.
13. What is Degarmo's status with the police at the time of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
(a) He is suspended.
(b) He is confined to desk duty.
(c) He has been demoted.
(d) He is under an official behavioral warning.
14. What does Marlowe think of Degarmo's tactics?
(a) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are sly.
(b) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are funny.
(c) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are clever.
(d) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are stupid.
15. What evidence does Marlowe have that Degarmo killed his wife?
(a) Degarmo was the only one who could have called in the murder.
(b) Degarmo left traces on the victim's clothing.
(c) Degarmo left matches at the crime scene.
(d) Degarmo knew Marlowe was hit on the head without looking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Mrs. Talley say she has been sick?
2. What does Marlowe do when Mrs. Kingsley mentions the scarf he's wearing?
3. What does Miss Fromsett say when Degarmo and Marlowe ask her where Kingsley is?
4. When Marlowe brushes his hair, what does he notice about it?
5. Why does Cooney want to beat up Marlowe, after Dobbs tells him to stop?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)