|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the scarf Miss Fromsett gives Marlowe to wear, to identify him?
(a) Blue and purple.
(b) Green and yellow.
(c) Orange and red.
(d) Black and gold.
2. What does Captain Webber think of the investigation of Mrs. Almore's death?
(a) It involved no investigation at all.
(b) It was fairly thorough.
(c) It was a little superficial.
(d) It was comprehensive and conclusive.
3. Who calls Sheriff Patton's office to tell them where Degarmo is?
(a) A reporter from the local paper.
(b) One of the cabin owners up at the lake.
(c) The sergeant in charge of the Puma Lake dam sentries.
(d) A cop from San Bernardino.
4. Who do the Graysons suspect Dr. Almore of having an affair with?
(a) Crystal Kingsley.
(b) A woman whose name neither one knows.
(c) Miss Fromsett.
(d) Mildred Haviland.
5. According to Marlowe, did Muriel Chess expect to meet Lavery in San Bernardino?
(a) Yes, she arranged it.
(b) Yes, he suggested it.
(c) No, she was happy about it.
(d) No, it was a problem.
6. How was Mrs. Kingsley killed?
(a) She was hit with a bottle.
(b) She was stabbed.
(c) She was strangled.
(d) She was shot.
7. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Take his gun away.
(c) Arrest him.
(d) Let him go.
8. Who does Eddie tell his partner he hasn't called, because he thought homicide would do it?
(a) The fingerprint technicians.
(b) The crime scene photographers.
(c) The coronor.
(d) The district attorney.
9. Where does Marlowe suggest Muriel Chess drowned Crystal Kingsley?
(a) In the lake.
(b) In a washtub outside the cabin.
(c) In the Chess's bathtub.
(d) In the Kingsley's bathtub.
10. What time is it when Marlowe looks at his watch in the jail cell?
(a) Eleven sixteen.
(b) Eight twenty-three.
(c) Ten thirty-five.
(d) Nine fifty-four.
11. What expression is on Patton's face when Marlowe says Degarmo knows Marlowe has already proved Mrs. Kingsley innocent?
(a) A look of anger.
(b) A look of amusement.
(c) A look of shock.
12. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
(a) That he's heard a noise out in the hallway.
(b) That he saw a man moving behind the curtain.
(c) That she's too close and the gun safety isn't off.
(d) That her gun is going to misfire.
13. What is Degarmo's status with the police at the time of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
(a) He is under an official behavioral warning.
(b) He is confined to desk duty.
(c) He has been demoted.
(d) He is suspended.
14. What reason does Degarmo give for wanting to solve the murder case?
(a) To nail Marlowe on a solid rap.
(b) To avenge the woman's death.
(c) To keep his job on the police force.
(d) To show up the captain.
15. When Marlowe brushes his hair, what does he notice about it?
(a) It's got a lot of gray in it.
(b) It's got blood in it.
(c) It needs to be cut.
(d) It needs to be washed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the envelope Marlowe finds in his office from?
2. When Degarmo first pulls his gun, where is it pointed?
3. Why does Cooney want to beat up Marlowe, after Dobbs tells him to stop?
4. What is in the window of the gift shop next to the Peacock Lounge?
5. Who does Marlowe believe Muriel Chess, a.k.a. Mildred Haviland, wrote to for money?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)