|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who talked to Mrs. Kingsley when she called to ask for money?
(a) Miss Fromsett.
(b) Mr. Kingsley.
(d) The telephone operator.
2. Where is Mrs. Kingsley's body, when Marlowe awakes?
(a) In the bathtub.
(b) On the floor.
(c) On a bed.
(d) On a couch.
3. What color is Captain Webber's hair?
4. When Marlowe awakes, what does the picture he sees portray?
(a) The French riviera.
(b) The Mississippi Delta.
(c) The canals of Venice.
(d) The Boston harbor.
5. By what nickname does Miss Fromsett call Derace Kingsley?
6. What did Talley steal from Florence Almore's body?
(a) A red lace handkerchief.
(b) A white silk glove.
(c) A small beaded coin purse.
(d) A green velvet shoe.
7. Does Kingsley say he was in Bay City the previous night?
(a) No, he says he thought about it but didn't go.
(b) Yes, he says he followed Marlowe.
(c) Yes, he says he drove around but didn't see Marlowe or his wife.
(d) No, he says he didn't go there.
8. What does Marlowe do when Mrs. Kingsley mentions the scarf he's wearing?
(a) He takes it off and holds it in his hands.
(b) He takes it off and wraps it around her neck.
(c) He takes it off and throws it on the floor.
(d) He takes it off and puts it in his pocket.
9. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
(a) He clenches his fists.
(b) He grabs Marlowe's arm.
(c) He grabs his face.
(d) He smacks Degarmo.
10. Who calls Sheriff Patton's office to tell them where Degarmo is?
(a) A reporter from the local paper.
(b) One of the cabin owners up at the lake.
(c) A cop from San Bernardino.
(d) The sergeant in charge of the Puma Lake dam sentries.
11. In Captain Webber's office, where does Degarmo sit?
(a) Behind the desk in a large chair.
(b) Next to the door.
(c) At the end of the desk.
(d) Close enough to Marlowe to grab him.
12. When Marlowe awakes, what does he reek of?
13. What time is it when Marlowe looks at his watch in the jail cell?
(a) Nine fifty-four.
(b) Ten thirty-five.
(c) Eight twenty-three.
(d) Eleven sixteen.
14. As Marlowe and Degarmo drive toward the lake cabin, what does Marlowe accuse Degarmo of?
(a) Letting his wife get away with murdering Mrs. Almore.
(b) Covering up for Lavery's murderer.
(c) Killing Mrs. Kingsley.
(d) Hiring an imperonator to play Mrs. Kingsley.
15. How was Mrs. Kingsley killed?
(a) She was stabbed.
(b) She was hit with a bottle.
(c) She was shot.
(d) She was strangled.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Marlowe charged with a crime?
2. What is in the window of the gift shop next to the Peacock Lounge?
3. What does Patton do, when he admits to Degarmo that he knew the woman in the photo Degarmo showed around town and didn't tell him?
4. Who is in Marlowe's office building when he returns there?
5. What misleading statement does Marlowe give Degarmo?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)