|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Degarmo first pulls his gun, where is it pointed?
(a) At the floor.
(b) At Kingsley.
(c) At Patton.
(d) At Marlowe.
2. What expression is on Patton's face when Marlowe says Degarmo knows Marlowe has already proved Mrs. Kingsley innocent?
(a) A look of shock.
(b) A look of amusement.
(d) A look of anger.
3. Where is Mrs. Kingsley's body, when Marlowe awakes?
(a) On a bed.
(b) On the floor.
(c) On a couch.
(d) In the bathtub.
4. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
(a) A carnation.
(b) A stick of gum.
(c) A pencil.
(d) A cigarette.
5. What does Marlowe think of Degarmo's tactics?
(a) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are sly.
(b) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are funny.
(c) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are clever.
(d) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are stupid.
6. What does Marlowe do when Webber asks him to promise to keep what he's told Marlowe quiet?
(a) Marlowe nods but doesn't promise.
(b) Marlowe promises, but he is lying.
(c) Marlowe gives his sincere promise to Webber.
(d) Marlowe tells Webber that he can't promise.
7. Whose car is in Kingsley's garage when Degarmo and Marlowe go to Kingsley's house?
(a) The maid's.
(b) The gardner's.
(c) The butler's.
(d) The cook's.
8. Where does Degarmo write down the information Marlowe gives about his client?
(a) On an envelope.
(b) In his notebook.
(c) On Lavery's note pad.
(d) On a napkin.
9. What does Patton say about his stomach?
(a) His big belly makes a nice target.
(b) His belly keeps growing and growing from sitting behind a desk.
(c) It's been growling all morning, waiting for Degarmo and Marlowe.
(d) It tells him that Kingsley's no murderer.
10. Who is in Marlowe's office building when he returns there?
(a) The police.
(b) Cleaning women.
(c) Miss Fromsett.
11. What evidence does Marlowe have that Degarmo killed his wife?
(a) Degarmo was the only one who could have called in the murder.
(b) Degarmo knew Marlowe was hit on the head without looking.
(c) Degarmo left traces on the victim's clothing.
(d) Degarmo left matches at the crime scene.
12. What nationality is the boy who comes into the Peacock Lounge to sell papers?
13. What is on the porch at the bungalow in Westmore Street where Marlowe goes looking for Talley?
(a) A ladder.
(b) A chair.
(c) A bench swing.
(d) A tree.
14. What does Webber take off his desk and break, more than once during his interview with Marlowe?
15. What does Miss Fromsett say when Degarmo and Marlowe ask her where Kingsley is?
(a) That she knows but won't tell them.
(b) That she doesn't know.
(c) That she will tell them tomorrow.
(d) That she can't tell them whether she knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe do with his gun when he's stopped by the police?
2. Where does Patton's gunshot hit?
3. What time do Degarmo and Marlowe arrive at Miss Fromsett's apartment building, according to the clerk's wristwatch?
4. Who does Eddie tell his partner he hasn't called, because he thought homicide would do it?
5. What does the woman at the bungalow in Westmore Street assume Marlowe is there for?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)