|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
(a) Let him go.
(b) Take his gun away.
(c) Arrest him.
(d) Shoot him.
2. Who talked to Mrs. Kingsley when she called to ask for money?
(a) Mr. Kingsley.
(c) Miss Fromsett.
(d) The telephone operator.
3. Does Kingsley say he was in Bay City the previous night?
(a) No, he says he thought about it but didn't go.
(b) Yes, he says he followed Marlowe.
(c) Yes, he says he drove around but didn't see Marlowe or his wife.
(d) No, he says he didn't go there.
4. What choice does Marlowe give the woman he meets at the Peacock Lounge?
(a) She must either give herself up, or he'll turn her in.
(b) She must talk with either him or the cops.
(c) She must either come with him, or he'll take her by force.
(d) She must either talk with her husband or get no money.
5. What time do Degarmo and Marlowe arrive at Miss Fromsett's apartment building, according to the clerk's wristwatch?
(a) Two fourty-six in the morning.
(b) Three fifty-four in the morning.
(c) Three seventeen in the morning.
(d) Four twenty-three in the morning.
6. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
(a) In a taxi.
(b) In Degarmo's unmarked car.
(c) In Marlowe's car.
(d) In a police squad car.
7. What does Marlowe believe Almore saw?
(a) Degamo giving money to his former wife.
(b) Degarmo's former wife at Lavery's house.
(c) The gun that Lavery was killed with.
(d) Degarmo following Lavery.
8. By what nickname does Miss Fromsett call Derace Kingsley?
9. What evidence does Marlowe have that Degarmo killed his wife?
(a) Degarmo left traces on the victim's clothing.
(b) Degarmo was the only one who could have called in the murder.
(c) Degarmo knew Marlowe was hit on the head without looking.
(d) Degarmo left matches at the crime scene.
10. Where does Marlowe suggest Muriel Chess drowned Crystal Kingsley?
(a) In the Kingsley's bathtub.
(b) In the Chess's bathtub.
(c) In a washtub outside the cabin.
(d) In the lake.
11. What do the police who stop Marlowe make him do?
(a) Drink whiskey.
(b) Take a white pill.
(c) Give them the keys to his car.
(d) Give them his gun.
12. Where is Mrs. Kingsley's body, when Marlowe awakes?
(a) In the bathtub.
(b) On a couch.
(c) On the floor.
(d) On a bed.
13. How much does it cost Marlowe to leave his car in the Granada's garage?
(a) A dollar.
(b) A dollar fifty.
(c) Fifty cents.
(d) Two dollars.
14. What color is Captain Webber's hair?
15. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches his apartment?
(a) His telephone ringing.
(b) His radio playing.
(c) Two men talking.
(d) The sound of glass breaking.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Degarmo notices Marlowe is limping, what does he ask?
2. Who breaks the news to Kingsley that his wife is dead?
3. What prevents Degarmo from getting away?
4. What does Degarmo do as he draws his weapon on Patton?
5. Who does Marlowe believe Muriel Chess, a.k.a. Mildred Haviland, wrote to for money?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)