|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dobbs doing in two weeks?
(a) He's going to work as a security guard.
(b) He's going into the army.
(c) He's getting promoted.
(d) He's retiring.
2. What do Degarmo and Marlowe stop for at Crestline?
(b) A beer.
3. What motives does Marlowe ascribe to Muriel Chess for killing Crystal Kingsley?
(a) Jealousy and money.
(b) Hatred and love.
(c) Blackmail and jealousy.
4. According to Marlowe, did Muriel Chess expect to meet Lavery in San Bernardino?
(a) Yes, he suggested it.
(b) No, it was a problem.
(c) Yes, she arranged it.
(d) No, she was happy about it.
5. What is Degarmo's status with the police at the time of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
(a) He is suspended.
(b) He has been demoted.
(c) He is confined to desk duty.
(d) He is under an official behavioral warning.
6. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
(a) That her gun is going to misfire.
(b) That she's too close and the gun safety isn't off.
(c) That he's heard a noise out in the hallway.
(d) That he saw a man moving behind the curtain.
7. Whose car is in Kingsley's garage when Degarmo and Marlowe go to Kingsley's house?
(a) The cook's.
(b) The butler's.
(c) The gardner's.
(d) The maid's.
8. What choice does Marlowe give the woman he meets at the Peacock Lounge?
(a) She must either give herself up, or he'll turn her in.
(b) She must talk with either him or the cops.
(c) She must either talk with her husband or get no money.
(d) She must either come with him, or he'll take her by force.
9. Who is the envelope Marlowe finds in his office from?
(c) An anonymous source.
(d) Miss Fromsett.
10. What expression is on Patton's face when Marlowe says Degarmo knows Marlowe has already proved Mrs. Kingsley innocent?
(a) A look of shock.
(c) A look of amusement.
(d) A look of anger.
11. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches his apartment?
(a) Two men talking.
(b) The sound of glass breaking.
(c) His telephone ringing.
(d) His radio playing.
12. Why does Cooney want to beat up Marlowe, after Dobbs tells him to stop?
(a) Marlowe insulted him.
(b) Marlowe spit at him.
(c) Marlowe hit him in the face and made his nose bleed.
(d) Marlowe hit him in his sore knee, where he'd once been shot.
13. Who do the Graysons suspect Dr. Almore of having an affair with?
(a) A woman whose name neither one knows.
(b) Crystal Kingsley.
(c) Mildred Haviland.
(d) Miss Fromsett.
14. Who does Marlowe believe Muriel Chess, a.k.a. Mildred Haviland, wrote to for money?
(c) Mrs. Kingsley.
(d) Dr. Almore.
15. What does Marlowe do when Webber asks him to promise to keep what he's told Marlowe quiet?
(a) Marlowe nods but doesn't promise.
(b) Marlowe gives his sincere promise to Webber.
(c) Marlowe tells Webber that he can't promise.
(d) Marlowe promises, but he is lying.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mrs. Kingsley killed?
2. Where do Andy and Degarmo confront each other?
3. Who breaks the news to Kingsley that his wife is dead?
4. Where is Mrs. Kingsley's body, when Marlowe awakes?
5. What kind of flowers are on Miss Fromsett's earrings, when she comes to Marlowe's apartment?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)