|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe do when Webber asks him to promise to keep what he's told Marlowe quiet?
(a) Marlowe gives his sincere promise to Webber.
(b) Marlowe promises, but he is lying.
(c) Marlowe nods but doesn't promise.
(d) Marlowe tells Webber that he can't promise.
2. When Degarmo first pulls his gun, where is it pointed?
(a) At Marlowe.
(b) At Kingsley.
(c) At Patton.
(d) At the floor.
3. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
(a) A guard laughing.
(b) A harmonica playing.
(c) A woman screaming.
(d) A man rattling on the bars.
4. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
(a) That she's too close and the gun safety isn't off.
(b) That her gun is going to misfire.
(c) That he saw a man moving behind the curtain.
(d) That he's heard a noise out in the hallway.
5. What color is the scarf Miss Fromsett gives Marlowe to wear, to identify him?
(a) Black and gold.
(b) Orange and red.
(c) Green and yellow.
(d) Blue and purple.
6. What does Marlowe believe Almore saw?
(a) Degarmo following Lavery.
(b) Degarmo's former wife at Lavery's house.
(c) Degamo giving money to his former wife.
(d) The gun that Lavery was killed with.
7. What motives does Marlowe ascribe to Muriel Chess for killing Crystal Kingsley?
(a) Hatred and love.
(b) Jealousy and money.
(c) Blackmail and jealousy.
8. What reason does Mrs. Kingsley give for going back to Lavery's after shooting him?
(a) She decided to try to frame someone else.
(b) She wanted to geet rid of the gun.
(c) He had taken all her money.
(d) She had left behind a clue to her identity.
9. What do the police who stop Marlowe make him do?
(a) Drink whiskey.
(b) Take a white pill.
(c) Give them his gun.
(d) Give them the keys to his car.
10. Who do the Graysons suspect Dr. Almore of having an affair with?
(a) A woman whose name neither one knows.
(b) Mildred Haviland.
(c) Crystal Kingsley.
(d) Miss Fromsett.
11. What reason does Degarmo give for wanting to solve the murder case?
(a) To keep his job on the police force.
(b) To show up the captain.
(c) To avenge the woman's death.
(d) To nail Marlowe on a solid rap.
12. How long does Mrs. Talley say she has been sick?
(a) A week.
(b) A year.
(c) A month.
13. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
(a) He grabs Marlowe's arm.
(b) He clenches his fists.
(c) He smacks Degarmo.
(d) He grabs his face.
14. What does Mrs. Kingsley do when Marlowe tells her Bill says she made a pass at him?
(a) She slaps him.
(b) She admits it.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She groans.
15. What does the woman at the bungalow in Westmore Street assume Marlowe is there for?
(a) To collect an unpaid bill.
(b) To arrest Talley.
(c) To tell her where Talley is.
(d) To involve Talley in a crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Degarmo call the other cop at the scene of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
2. What does Degarmo do as he draws his weapon on Patton?
3. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
4. What does Webber take off his desk and break, more than once during his interview with Marlowe?
5. What is Dobbs doing in two weeks?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)