|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
(a) He says the captain already knows.
(b) He says Marlowe can talk about it all he likes.
(c) He says Marlowe better keep his mouth shut.
(d) He says they never met before.
2. Who breaks the news to Kingsley that his wife is dead?
(c) Sheriff Patton.
3. Who is in Marlowe's office building when he returns there?
(b) The police.
(c) Miss Fromsett.
(d) Cleaning women.
4. Who is the envelope Marlowe finds in his office from?
(a) Miss Fromsett.
(b) An anonymous source.
5. What misleading statement does Marlowe give Degarmo?
(a) That he saw the face of the man who hit him.
(b) That he doesn't remember what happened after he arrived in the apartment.
(c) That Mrs. Kingsley didn't confess to anything before pulling the gun.
(d) That he saw Kingsley wearing the scarf earlier in the evening.
6. Who does Eddie tell his partner he hasn't called, because he thought homicide would do it?
(a) The coronor.
(b) The crime scene photographers.
(c) The district attorney.
(d) The fingerprint technicians.
7. What did Talley steal from Florence Almore's body?
(a) A red lace handkerchief.
(b) A white silk glove.
(c) A green velvet shoe.
(d) A small beaded coin purse.
8. What color is Captain Webber's hair?
9. How does H.G. Talbot's shirt fit Marlowe?
(a) It is so small he can't fit his arms in it.
(b) It is too large.
(c) It fits him perfectly.
(d) It is a little too tight.
10. Who do the Graysons suspect Dr. Almore of having an affair with?
(a) Crystal Kingsley.
(b) Mildred Haviland.
(c) Miss Fromsett.
(d) A woman whose name neither one knows.
11. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A stick of gum.
(d) A carnation.
12. What does Patton do, when he admits to Degarmo that he knew the woman in the photo Degarmo showed around town and didn't tell him?
(a) He blamed Degarmo.
(b) He accuses Degarmo of deception.
(c) He apologizes.
(d) He says he would do the same thing again.
13. When Degarmo first pulls his gun, where is it pointed?
(a) At Patton.
(b) At the floor.
(c) At Kingsley.
(d) At Marlowe.
14. What does Marlowe believe Almore saw?
(a) Degarmo's former wife at Lavery's house.
(b) The gun that Lavery was killed with.
(c) Degamo giving money to his former wife.
(d) Degarmo following Lavery.
15. How does Degarmo leave the area of Kingsley's cabin?
(a) In Andy's car.
(b) In Kingsley's car.
(c) In Marlowe's car.
(d) In Patton's car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time do Degarmo and Marlowe arrive at Miss Fromsett's apartment building, according to the clerk's wristwatch?
2. What does the woman at the bungalow in Westmore Street assume Marlowe is there for?
3. What nationality is the boy who comes into the Peacock Lounge to sell papers?
4. Where does Patton's gunshot hit?
5. What does Marlowe do with his gun when he's stopped by the police?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)