|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time do Degarmo and Marlowe arrive at Miss Fromsett's apartment building, according to the clerk's wristwatch?
(a) Two fourty-six in the morning.
(b) Three fifty-four in the morning.
(c) Four twenty-three in the morning.
(d) Three seventeen in the morning.
2. Whose car is in Kingsley's garage when Degarmo and Marlowe go to Kingsley's house?
(a) The gardner's.
(b) The butler's.
(c) The maid's.
(d) The cook's.
3. What time is it when Marlowe looks at his watch in the jail cell?
(a) Eight twenty-three.
(b) Nine fifty-four.
(c) Ten thirty-five.
(d) Eleven sixteen.
4. What did Talley steal from Florence Almore's body?
(a) A red lace handkerchief.
(b) A green velvet shoe.
(c) A white silk glove.
(d) A small beaded coin purse.
5. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
(a) He says Marlowe better keep his mouth shut.
(b) He says they never met before.
(c) He says the captain already knows.
(d) He says Marlowe can talk about it all he likes.
6. What does Mr. Grayson smoke while talking to Marlowe?
(b) A cigar.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A cigarette.
7. Where does Marlowe say Patton could look for evidence that Degarmo is the killer?
(a) On the butt of Degarmo's gun.
(b) Under the fingernails of Degarmo's right hand.
(c) On the back of Degarmo's neck.
(d) On Degarmo's chest.
8. What does Mrs. Kingsley do when Marlowe tells her Bill says she made a pass at him?
(a) She slaps him.
(b) She admits it.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She groans.
9. How does H.G. Talbot's shirt fit Marlowe?
(a) It is so small he can't fit his arms in it.
(b) It fits him perfectly.
(c) It is a little too tight.
(d) It is too large.
10. What does the woman at the bungalow in Westmore Street assume Marlowe is there for?
(a) To collect an unpaid bill.
(b) To involve Talley in a crime.
(c) To tell her where Talley is.
(d) To arrest Talley.
11. Does Marlowe think Mrs. Almore was alive when she was brought to the garage?
(a) Yes, he thinks she was awake.
(b) No, he thinks she had been poisoned.
(c) No, he thinks she had been gassed upstairs.
(d) Yes, he thinks she was in a morphine coma.
12. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
(a) A carnation.
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A stick of gum.
(d) A pencil.
13. What choice does Marlowe give the woman he meets at the Peacock Lounge?
(a) She must either give herself up, or he'll turn her in.
(b) She must either come with him, or he'll take her by force.
(c) She must talk with either him or the cops.
(d) She must either talk with her husband or get no money.
14. What color is Captain Webber's hair?
15. How much does it cost Marlowe to leave his car in the Granada's garage?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) A dollar.
(d) A dollar fifty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patton say he would have done, if he'd thought of the idea that the body in the lake might have been Crystal Kingsley instead of Muriel Chess?
2. By what nickname does Miss Fromsett call Derace Kingsley?
3. Who do the Graysons suspect Dr. Almore of having an affair with?
4. Where is Derace Kingsley when Degarmo and Marlowe get to the cabin?
5. Where do Andy and Degarmo confront each other?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)