|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dobbs doing in two weeks?
(a) He's retiring.
(b) He's going into the army.
(c) He's getting promoted.
(d) He's going to work as a security guard.
2. What does Marlowe think of Degarmo's tactics?
(a) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are stupid.
(b) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are funny.
(c) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are sly.
(d) He thinks Degarmo's tactics are clever.
3. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
(a) He grabs Marlowe's arm.
(b) He smacks Degarmo.
(c) He grabs his face.
(d) He clenches his fists.
4. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
(a) A harmonica playing.
(b) A woman screaming.
(c) A guard laughing.
(d) A man rattling on the bars.
5. What is Marlowe's cellmate doing?
6. What does Patton say he would have done, if he'd thought of the idea that the body in the lake might have been Crystal Kingsley instead of Muriel Chess?
(a) Thrown the idea out as too far-fetched.
(b) Tracked down the woman going under the name of Crystal Kingsley.
(c) Gone to the Los Angeles police.
(d) Found a way to identify the body positively.
7. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
(a) Take his gun away.
(b) Let him go.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Arrest him.
8. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
(a) He says Marlowe better keep his mouth shut.
(b) He says the captain already knows.
(c) He says they never met before.
(d) He says Marlowe can talk about it all he likes.
9. What do the police who stop Marlowe make him do?
(a) Give them the keys to his car.
(b) Take a white pill.
(c) Drink whiskey.
(d) Give them his gun.
10. What does Mrs. Kingsley do when Marlowe tells her Bill says she made a pass at him?
(a) She groans.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She admits it.
11. Who talked to Mrs. Kingsley when she called to ask for money?
(b) The telephone operator.
(c) Mr. Kingsley.
(d) Miss Fromsett.
12. Whose car is in Kingsley's garage when Degarmo and Marlowe go to Kingsley's house?
(a) The butler's.
(b) The cook's.
(c) The gardner's.
(d) The maid's.
13. What does Patton do, when he admits to Degarmo that he knew the woman in the photo Degarmo showed around town and didn't tell him?
(a) He blamed Degarmo.
(b) He apologizes.
(c) He says he would do the same thing again.
(d) He accuses Degarmo of deception.
14. When Marlowe brushes his hair, what does he notice about it?
(a) It's got blood in it.
(b) It needs to be washed.
(c) It's got a lot of gray in it.
(d) It needs to be cut.
15. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches his apartment?
(a) His radio playing.
(b) His telephone ringing.
(c) The sound of glass breaking.
(d) Two men talking.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what nickname does Miss Fromsett call Derace Kingsley?
2. What does Patton say about his stomach?
3. What nationality is the boy who comes into the Peacock Lounge to sell papers?
4. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
5. What prevents Degarmo from getting away?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)