|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A carnation.
(c) A stick of gum.
(d) A pencil.
2. According to Marlowe, did Muriel Chess expect to meet Lavery in San Bernardino?
(a) No, it was a problem.
(b) Yes, she arranged it.
(c) No, she was happy about it.
(d) Yes, he suggested it.
3. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
(a) He grabs his face.
(b) He clenches his fists.
(c) He grabs Marlowe's arm.
(d) He smacks Degarmo.
4. What nationality is the boy who comes into the Peacock Lounge to sell papers?
5. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
(a) A guard laughing.
(b) A man rattling on the bars.
(c) A harmonica playing.
(d) A woman screaming.
6. What does Miss Fromsett say when Degarmo and Marlowe ask her where Kingsley is?
(a) That she doesn't know.
(b) That she will tell them tomorrow.
(c) That she can't tell them whether she knows.
(d) That she knows but won't tell them.
7. How does H.G. Talbot's shirt fit Marlowe?
(a) It is a little too tight.
(b) It is too large.
(c) It is so small he can't fit his arms in it.
(d) It fits him perfectly.
8. In Captain Webber's office, where does Degarmo sit?
(a) Next to the door.
(b) Behind the desk in a large chair.
(c) Close enough to Marlowe to grab him.
(d) At the end of the desk.
9. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
(a) In a taxi.
(b) In Degarmo's unmarked car.
(c) In Marlowe's car.
(d) In a police squad car.
10. How was Mrs. Kingsley killed?
(a) She was shot.
(b) She was strangled.
(c) She was hit with a bottle.
(d) She was stabbed.
11. What does Captain Webber think of the investigation of Mrs. Almore's death?
(a) It was fairly thorough.
(b) It involved no investigation at all.
(c) It was comprehensive and conclusive.
(d) It was a little superficial.
12. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
(a) That he saw a man moving behind the curtain.
(b) That he's heard a noise out in the hallway.
(c) That she's too close and the gun safety isn't off.
(d) That her gun is going to misfire.
13. Who calls Sheriff Patton's office to tell them where Degarmo is?
(a) The sergeant in charge of the Puma Lake dam sentries.
(b) A cop from San Bernardino.
(c) One of the cabin owners up at the lake.
(d) A reporter from the local paper.
14. What does Mr. Grayson smoke while talking to Marlowe?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A cigar.
15. What motives does Marlowe ascribe to Muriel Chess for killing Crystal Kingsley?
(a) Blackmail and jealousy.
(c) Hatred and love.
(d) Jealousy and money.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what nickname does Miss Fromsett call Derace Kingsley?
2. What reason does Mrs. Kingsley give for going back to Lavery's after shooting him?
3. When Degarmo notices Marlowe is limping, what does he ask?
4. What does Mrs. Kingsley do when Marlowe tells her Bill says she made a pass at him?
5. What reason does Degarmo give for wanting to solve the murder case?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)