|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marlowe brushes his hair, what does he notice about it?
(a) It's got a lot of gray in it.
(b) It needs to be washed.
(c) It's got blood in it.
(d) It needs to be cut.
2. What does Degarmo do as he draws his weapon on Patton?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He dives behind a chair.
(c) He screams.
(d) He runs toward the door.
3. What do Degarmo and Marlowe stop for at Crestline?
(a) A beer.
4. What is Marlowe's cellmate doing?
5. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
(a) A stick of gum.
(b) A carnation.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A pencil.
6. What does Marlowe see of Patton drawing his weapon?
(a) Him reaching for his holster.
(c) Him pulling the trigger.
(d) Him pulling up his weapon to fire.
7. Who calls Sheriff Patton's office to tell them where Degarmo is?
(a) A cop from San Bernardino.
(b) A reporter from the local paper.
(c) One of the cabin owners up at the lake.
(d) The sergeant in charge of the Puma Lake dam sentries.
8. What time is it when Marlowe looks at his watch in the jail cell?
(a) Nine fifty-four.
(b) Eight twenty-three.
(c) Ten thirty-five.
(d) Eleven sixteen.
9. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
(a) Take his gun away.
(b) Arrest him.
(c) Let him go.
(d) Shoot him.
10. When Degarmo first pulls his gun, where is it pointed?
(a) At the floor.
(b) At Patton.
(c) At Marlowe.
(d) At Kingsley.
11. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches his apartment?
(a) The sound of glass breaking.
(b) Two men talking.
(c) His radio playing.
(d) His telephone ringing.
12. When Marlowe awakes, what does the picture he sees portray?
(a) The Mississippi Delta.
(b) The French riviera.
(c) The Boston harbor.
(d) The canals of Venice.
13. Is Marlowe charged with a crime?
(a) No, he is never officially booked.
(b) Yes, but the paperwork gets "lost."
(c) Yes, but the charges are dropped after he talks with Webber.
(d) No, because Webber intervenes before the papers are filed.
14. What does Miss Fromsett say when Degarmo and Marlowe ask her where Kingsley is?
(a) That she will tell them tomorrow.
(b) That she knows but won't tell them.
(c) That she can't tell them whether she knows.
(d) That she doesn't know.
15. In Captain Webber's office, where does Degarmo sit?
(a) Next to the door.
(b) At the end of the desk.
(c) Behind the desk in a large chair.
(d) Close enough to Marlowe to grab him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patton do, when he admits to Degarmo that he knew the woman in the photo Degarmo showed around town and didn't tell him?
2. What does Marlowe believe Almore saw?
3. Who is in Marlowe's office building when he returns there?
4. What does Patton say he would have done, if he'd thought of the idea that the body in the lake might have been Crystal Kingsley instead of Muriel Chess?
5. How long does Mrs. Talley say she has been sick?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)