|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Degarmo do as he draws his weapon on Patton?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He runs toward the door.
(c) He screams.
(d) He dives behind a chair.
2. How long does Mrs. Talley say she has been sick?
(b) A week.
(c) A year.
(d) A month.
3. What is on the porch at the bungalow in Westmore Street where Marlowe goes looking for Talley?
(a) A tree.
(b) A chair.
(c) A ladder.
(d) A bench swing.
4. Where does Degarmo write down the information Marlowe gives about his client?
(a) On a napkin.
(b) On an envelope.
(c) On Lavery's note pad.
(d) In his notebook.
5. What does Webber take off his desk and break, more than once during his interview with Marlowe?
6. What color is the scarf Miss Fromsett gives Marlowe to wear, to identify him?
(a) Green and yellow.
(b) Blue and purple.
(c) Orange and red.
(d) Black and gold.
7. What is Dobbs doing in two weeks?
(a) He's getting promoted.
(b) He's going to work as a security guard.
(c) He's retiring.
(d) He's going into the army.
8. How does H.G. Talbot's shirt fit Marlowe?
(a) It is so small he can't fit his arms in it.
(b) It is a little too tight.
(c) It is too large.
(d) It fits him perfectly.
9. When Marlowe returns to Lavery's house to report the murder, what sound does he hear in the quiet house?
(a) The ticking of a clock in the living room.
(b) The hum of a heater in the bedroom.
(c) The buzz of bees from the back yard.
(d) Dripping water from the bathroom.
10. What reason does Degarmo give for wanting to solve the murder case?
(a) To keep his job on the police force.
(b) To show up the captain.
(c) To nail Marlowe on a solid rap.
(d) To avenge the woman's death.
11. According to Marlowe, did Muriel Chess expect to meet Lavery in San Bernardino?
(a) Yes, he suggested it.
(b) No, she was happy about it.
(c) No, it was a problem.
(d) Yes, she arranged it.
12. What kind of flowers are on Miss Fromsett's earrings, when she comes to Marlowe's apartment?
13. What does Marlowe do with his gun when he's stopped by the police?
(a) He puts it back in the glove compartment.
(b) He holsters it.
(c) He puts it in his lap.
(d) He hides it in his pocket.
14. What expression is on Patton's face when Marlowe says Degarmo knows Marlowe has already proved Mrs. Kingsley innocent?
(a) A look of anger.
(c) A look of shock.
(d) A look of amusement.
15. Where does Patton's gunshot hit?
(a) Degarmo's knee.
(b) The wall behind Degarmo.
(c) Degarmo's revolver.
(d) Degarmo's shoulder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Fromsett say when Degarmo and Marlowe ask her where Kingsley is?
2. What does the woman at the bungalow in Westmore Street assume Marlowe is there for?
3. Where does Marlowe say Patton could look for evidence that Degarmo is the killer?
4. What does Mrs. Talley threaten to do if Marlowe won't leave?
5. What does Marlowe do when Mrs. Kingsley mentions the scarf he's wearing?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)