|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevents Degarmo from getting away?
(a) He tries to take a back road that he doesn't know.
(b) He drives recklessly fast.
(c) He doesn't stop for the dam sentries.
(d) He runs out of gas.
2. What is Marlowe's cellmate doing?
3. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
(a) A woman screaming.
(b) A guard laughing.
(c) A man rattling on the bars.
(d) A harmonica playing.
4. What did Talley steal from Florence Almore's body?
(a) A small beaded coin purse.
(b) A green velvet shoe.
(c) A white silk glove.
(d) A red lace handkerchief.
5. What misleading statement does Marlowe give Degarmo?
(a) That he saw the face of the man who hit him.
(b) That he doesn't remember what happened after he arrived in the apartment.
(c) That he saw Kingsley wearing the scarf earlier in the evening.
(d) That Mrs. Kingsley didn't confess to anything before pulling the gun.
6. Who talked to Mrs. Kingsley when she called to ask for money?
(a) The telephone operator.
(b) Mr. Kingsley.
(c) Miss Fromsett.
7. What is Mrs. Grayson doing, when Marlowe comes to visit the Graysons?
(a) Darning socks.
(b) Ironing shirts.
(c) Cooking dinner.
(d) Polishing brass.
8. As Marlowe and Degarmo drive toward the lake cabin, what does Marlowe accuse Degarmo of?
(a) Killing Mrs. Kingsley.
(b) Covering up for Lavery's murderer.
(c) Letting his wife get away with murdering Mrs. Almore.
(d) Hiring an imperonator to play Mrs. Kingsley.
9. What kind of flowers are on Miss Fromsett's earrings, when she comes to Marlowe's apartment?
10. Who do the Graysons suspect Dr. Almore of having an affair with?
(a) Crystal Kingsley.
(b) Miss Fromsett.
(c) Mildred Haviland.
(d) A woman whose name neither one knows.
11. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
(a) In a taxi.
(b) In Marlowe's car.
(c) In Degarmo's unmarked car.
(d) In a police squad car.
12. What choice does Marlowe give the woman he meets at the Peacock Lounge?
(a) She must either talk with her husband or get no money.
(b) She must either come with him, or he'll take her by force.
(c) She must either give herself up, or he'll turn her in.
(d) She must talk with either him or the cops.
13. What does Mrs. Talley threaten to do if Marlowe won't leave?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Have his license taken away.
(d) Shoot him.
14. What does Captain Webber think of the investigation of Mrs. Almore's death?
(a) It involved no investigation at all.
(b) It was a little superficial.
(c) It was fairly thorough.
(d) It was comprehensive and conclusive.
15. When Degarmo notices Marlowe is limping, what does he ask?
(a) If Marlowe tripped over something.
(b) If Marlowe had an accident.
(c) If Marlowe got into a fight.
(d) If Marlowe slept wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
2. When Marlowe brushes his hair, what does he notice about it?
3. How much does it cost Marlowe to leave his car in the Granada's garage?
4. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
5. What does Miss Fromsett say when Degarmo and Marlowe ask her where Kingsley is?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)