|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Captain Webber's office, where does Degarmo sit?
(a) Behind the desk in a large chair.
(b) Close enough to Marlowe to grab him.
(c) At the end of the desk.
(d) Next to the door.
2. What is Mrs. Grayson doing, when Marlowe comes to visit the Graysons?
(a) Darning socks.
(b) Polishing brass.
(c) Ironing shirts.
(d) Cooking dinner.
3. When Marlowe awakes, what does he reek of?
4. What is Degarmo's status with the police at the time of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
(a) He is confined to desk duty.
(b) He is suspended.
(c) He has been demoted.
(d) He is under an official behavioral warning.
5. What prevents Degarmo from getting away?
(a) He drives recklessly fast.
(b) He doesn't stop for the dam sentries.
(c) He runs out of gas.
(d) He tries to take a back road that he doesn't know.
6. Where is Mrs. Kingsley's body, when Marlowe awakes?
(a) On the floor.
(b) On a couch.
(c) On a bed.
(d) In the bathtub.
7. When Marlowe brushes his hair, what does he notice about it?
(a) It's got a lot of gray in it.
(b) It needs to be washed.
(c) It's got blood in it.
(d) It needs to be cut.
8. Is Marlowe charged with a crime?
(a) Yes, but the charges are dropped after he talks with Webber.
(b) No, he is never officially booked.
(c) No, because Webber intervenes before the papers are filed.
(d) Yes, but the paperwork gets "lost."
9. Where does Degarmo write down the information Marlowe gives about his client?
(a) On a napkin.
(b) On Lavery's note pad.
(c) In his notebook.
(d) On an envelope.
10. When Marlowe awakes, what does the picture he sees portray?
(a) The Boston harbor.
(b) The French riviera.
(c) The Mississippi Delta.
(d) The canals of Venice.
11. Where does Marlowe say Patton could look for evidence that Degarmo is the killer?
(a) Under the fingernails of Degarmo's right hand.
(b) On the back of Degarmo's neck.
(c) On the butt of Degarmo's gun.
(d) On Degarmo's chest.
12. By what nickname does Miss Fromsett call Derace Kingsley?
13. What does Patton say he would have done, if he'd thought of the idea that the body in the lake might have been Crystal Kingsley instead of Muriel Chess?
(a) Tracked down the woman going under the name of Crystal Kingsley.
(b) Thrown the idea out as too far-fetched.
(c) Gone to the Los Angeles police.
(d) Found a way to identify the body positively.
14. Does Kingsley say he was in Bay City the previous night?
(a) Yes, he says he followed Marlowe.
(b) No, he says he didn't go there.
(c) No, he says he thought about it but didn't go.
(d) Yes, he says he drove around but didn't see Marlowe or his wife.
15. What did Talley steal from Florence Almore's body?
(a) A red lace handkerchief.
(b) A white silk glove.
(c) A green velvet shoe.
(d) A small beaded coin purse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Mrs. Talley say she has been sick?
2. What reason does Mrs. Kingsley give for going back to Lavery's after shooting him?
3. What reason does Degarmo give for wanting to solve the murder case?
4. Who do the Graysons suspect Dr. Almore of having an affair with?
5. What choice does Marlowe give the woman he meets at the Peacock Lounge?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)