|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe do when Mrs. Kingsley mentions the scarf he's wearing?
(a) He takes it off and puts it in his pocket.
(b) He takes it off and holds it in his hands.
(c) He takes it off and throws it on the floor.
(d) He takes it off and wraps it around her neck.
2. What does Webber take off his desk and break, more than once during his interview with Marlowe?
3. What motives does Marlowe ascribe to Muriel Chess for killing Crystal Kingsley?
(b) Blackmail and jealousy.
(c) Hatred and love.
(d) Jealousy and money.
4. Whose car is in Kingsley's garage when Degarmo and Marlowe go to Kingsley's house?
(a) The cook's.
(b) The maid's.
(c) The gardner's.
(d) The butler's.
5. What reason does Degarmo give for wanting to solve the murder case?
(a) To nail Marlowe on a solid rap.
(b) To show up the captain.
(c) To keep his job on the police force.
(d) To avenge the woman's death.
6. How long does Mrs. Talley say she has been sick?
(a) A week.
(b) A year.
(d) A month.
7. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
(a) He says the captain already knows.
(b) He says they never met before.
(c) He says Marlowe can talk about it all he likes.
(d) He says Marlowe better keep his mouth shut.
8. What does Degarmo call the other cop at the scene of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
9. What does Patton say about his stomach?
(a) It's been growling all morning, waiting for Degarmo and Marlowe.
(b) It tells him that Kingsley's no murderer.
(c) His big belly makes a nice target.
(d) His belly keeps growing and growing from sitting behind a desk.
10. What does Marlowe see of Patton drawing his weapon?
(a) Him pulling the trigger.
(c) Him reaching for his holster.
(d) Him pulling up his weapon to fire.
11. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
(a) Take his gun away.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Arrest him.
(d) Let him go.
12. How was Mrs. Kingsley killed?
(a) She was hit with a bottle.
(b) She was shot.
(c) She was strangled.
(d) She was stabbed.
13. What reason does Mrs. Kingsley give for going back to Lavery's after shooting him?
(a) She wanted to geet rid of the gun.
(b) He had taken all her money.
(c) She decided to try to frame someone else.
(d) She had left behind a clue to her identity.
14. Who does Marlowe believe Muriel Chess, a.k.a. Mildred Haviland, wrote to for money?
(b) Mrs. Kingsley.
(c) Dr. Almore.
15. What color is the scarf Miss Fromsett gives Marlowe to wear, to identify him?
(a) Blue and purple.
(b) Green and yellow.
(c) Black and gold.
(d) Orange and red.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marlowe suggest Muriel Chess drowned Crystal Kingsley?
2. What does Marlowe think of Degarmo's tactics?
3. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
4. Does Marlowe think Mrs. Almore was alive when she was brought to the garage?
5. What kind of flowers are on Miss Fromsett's earrings, when she comes to Marlowe's apartment?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)