|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is it when Marlowe looks at his watch in the jail cell?
(a) Nine fifty-four.
(b) Eleven sixteen.
(c) Ten thirty-five.
(d) Eight twenty-three.
2. Who is in Marlowe's office building when he returns there?
(a) Cleaning women.
(b) The police.
(d) Miss Fromsett.
3. What is Degarmo's status with the police at the time of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
(a) He is suspended.
(b) He is under an official behavioral warning.
(c) He has been demoted.
(d) He is confined to desk duty.
4. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
(a) In Marlowe's car.
(b) In a police squad car.
(c) In Degarmo's unmarked car.
(d) In a taxi.
5. What does Marlowe see of Patton drawing his weapon?
(a) Him pulling up his weapon to fire.
(b) Him reaching for his holster.
(d) Him pulling the trigger.
6. What reason does Mrs. Kingsley give for going back to Lavery's after shooting him?
(a) She had left behind a clue to her identity.
(b) She decided to try to frame someone else.
(c) She wanted to geet rid of the gun.
(d) He had taken all her money.
7. How much does it cost Marlowe to leave his car in the Granada's garage?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) A dollar.
(d) A dollar fifty.
8. By what nickname does Miss Fromsett call Derace Kingsley?
9. Does Kingsley say he was in Bay City the previous night?
(a) Yes, he says he followed Marlowe.
(b) Yes, he says he drove around but didn't see Marlowe or his wife.
(c) No, he says he didn't go there.
(d) No, he says he thought about it but didn't go.
10. Why does Cooney want to beat up Marlowe, after Dobbs tells him to stop?
(a) Marlowe hit him in the face and made his nose bleed.
(b) Marlowe insulted him.
(c) Marlowe spit at him.
(d) Marlowe hit him in his sore knee, where he'd once been shot.
11. What reason does Degarmo give for wanting to solve the murder case?
(a) To avenge the woman's death.
(b) To keep his job on the police force.
(c) To show up the captain.
(d) To nail Marlowe on a solid rap.
12. How long does Mrs. Talley say she has been sick?
(b) A month.
(c) A year.
(d) A week.
13. What choice does Marlowe give the woman he meets at the Peacock Lounge?
(a) She must either come with him, or he'll take her by force.
(b) She must either give herself up, or he'll turn her in.
(c) She must either talk with her husband or get no money.
(d) She must talk with either him or the cops.
14. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Let him go.
(c) Take his gun away.
(d) Arrest him.
15. Where is Derace Kingsley when Degarmo and Marlowe get to the cabin?
(a) Asleep on the floor.
(b) Asleep in the tub.
(c) Asleep in the bed.
(d) Asleep in a chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman at the bungalow in Westmore Street assume Marlowe is there for?
2. Who do the Graysons suspect Dr. Almore of having an affair with?
3. What does Marlowe think of Degarmo's tactics?
4. How does H.G. Talbot's shirt fit Marlowe?
5. Where does Marlowe suggest Muriel Chess drowned Crystal Kingsley?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)