|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
(a) A stick of gum.
(b) A carnation.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A pencil.
2. What does Degarmo do as he draws his weapon on Patton?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He screams.
(c) He dives behind a chair.
(d) He runs toward the door.
3. How was Mrs. Kingsley killed?
(a) She was strangled.
(b) She was stabbed.
(c) She was hit with a bottle.
(d) She was shot.
4. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
(a) Let him go.
(b) Arrest him.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Take his gun away.
5. When Marlowe awakes, what does he reek of?
6. Where do Andy and Degarmo confront each other?
(a) On the boat dock.
(b) At the door of the cabin.
(c) On the dam across the lake.
(d) At Andy's car.
7. What did Talley steal from Florence Almore's body?
(a) A green velvet shoe.
(b) A white silk glove.
(c) A small beaded coin purse.
(d) A red lace handkerchief.
8. What misleading statement does Marlowe give Degarmo?
(a) That he saw Kingsley wearing the scarf earlier in the evening.
(b) That he saw the face of the man who hit him.
(c) That he doesn't remember what happened after he arrived in the apartment.
(d) That Mrs. Kingsley didn't confess to anything before pulling the gun.
9. Does Marlowe think Mrs. Almore was alive when she was brought to the garage?
(a) No, he thinks she had been poisoned.
(b) No, he thinks she had been gassed upstairs.
(c) Yes, he thinks she was in a morphine coma.
(d) Yes, he thinks she was awake.
10. What is on the porch at the bungalow in Westmore Street where Marlowe goes looking for Talley?
(a) A tree.
(b) A bench swing.
(c) A ladder.
(d) A chair.
11. According to Marlowe, did Muriel Chess expect to meet Lavery in San Bernardino?
(a) Yes, she arranged it.
(b) Yes, he suggested it.
(c) No, it was a problem.
(d) No, she was happy about it.
12. What reason does Degarmo give for wanting to solve the murder case?
(a) To nail Marlowe on a solid rap.
(b) To show up the captain.
(c) To avenge the woman's death.
(d) To keep his job on the police force.
13. What is Degarmo's status with the police at the time of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
(a) He is confined to desk duty.
(b) He has been demoted.
(c) He is under an official behavioral warning.
(d) He is suspended.
14. What does Captain Webber think of the investigation of Mrs. Almore's death?
(a) It was a little superficial.
(b) It involved no investigation at all.
(c) It was fairly thorough.
(d) It was comprehensive and conclusive.
15. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
(a) He says Marlowe can talk about it all he likes.
(b) He says they never met before.
(c) He says Marlowe better keep his mouth shut.
(d) He says the captain already knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Degarmo leave the area of Kingsley's cabin?
2. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
3. What does Patton say about his stomach?
4. What reason does Mrs. Kingsley give for going back to Lavery's after shooting him?
5. What does Marlowe think of Degarmo's tactics?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)