|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the scarf Miss Fromsett gives Marlowe to wear, to identify him?
(a) Blue and purple.
(b) Orange and red.
(c) Green and yellow.
(d) Black and gold.
2. What misleading statement does Marlowe give Degarmo?
(a) That he saw Kingsley wearing the scarf earlier in the evening.
(b) That he saw the face of the man who hit him.
(c) That he doesn't remember what happened after he arrived in the apartment.
(d) That Mrs. Kingsley didn't confess to anything before pulling the gun.
3. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
(a) In Degarmo's unmarked car.
(b) In a taxi.
(c) In a police squad car.
(d) In Marlowe's car.
4. What prevents Degarmo from getting away?
(a) He drives recklessly fast.
(b) He runs out of gas.
(c) He doesn't stop for the dam sentries.
(d) He tries to take a back road that he doesn't know.
5. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
(a) A carnation.
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A pencil.
(d) A stick of gum.
6. Whose car is in Kingsley's garage when Degarmo and Marlowe go to Kingsley's house?
(a) The gardner's.
(b) The cook's.
(c) The butler's.
(d) The maid's.
7. What does Patton say he would have done, if he'd thought of the idea that the body in the lake might have been Crystal Kingsley instead of Muriel Chess?
(a) Tracked down the woman going under the name of Crystal Kingsley.
(b) Thrown the idea out as too far-fetched.
(c) Gone to the Los Angeles police.
(d) Found a way to identify the body positively.
8. How much does it cost Marlowe to leave his car in the Granada's garage?
(a) A dollar.
(b) A dollar fifty.
(c) Fifty cents.
(d) Two dollars.
9. What is Mrs. Grayson doing, when Marlowe comes to visit the Graysons?
(a) Darning socks.
(b) Ironing shirts.
(c) Cooking dinner.
(d) Polishing brass.
10. What expression is on Patton's face when Marlowe says Degarmo knows Marlowe has already proved Mrs. Kingsley innocent?
(a) A look of amusement.
(b) A look of anger.
(d) A look of shock.
11. When Marlowe returns to Lavery's house to report the murder, what sound does he hear in the quiet house?
(a) The ticking of a clock in the living room.
(b) Dripping water from the bathroom.
(c) The buzz of bees from the back yard.
(d) The hum of a heater in the bedroom.
12. What is on the porch at the bungalow in Westmore Street where Marlowe goes looking for Talley?
(a) A chair.
(b) A tree.
(c) A bench swing.
(d) A ladder.
13. What does Patton say about his stomach?
(a) It's been growling all morning, waiting for Degarmo and Marlowe.
(b) His belly keeps growing and growing from sitting behind a desk.
(c) His big belly makes a nice target.
(d) It tells him that Kingsley's no murderer.
14. Who do the Graysons suspect Dr. Almore of having an affair with?
(a) Mildred Haviland.
(b) A woman whose name neither one knows.
(c) Crystal Kingsley.
(d) Miss Fromsett.
15. What does Mr. Grayson smoke while talking to Marlowe?
(a) A pipe.
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A cigar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it when Marlowe looks at his watch in the jail cell?
2. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
3. Where is Derace Kingsley when Degarmo and Marlowe get to the cabin?
4. What does Mrs. Kingsley do when Marlowe tells her Bill says she made a pass at him?
5. Who does Marlowe believe Muriel Chess, a.k.a. Mildred Haviland, wrote to for money?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)