|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Degarmo notices Marlowe is limping, what does he ask?
(a) If Marlowe got into a fight.
(b) If Marlowe slept wrong.
(c) If Marlowe tripped over something.
(d) If Marlowe had an accident.
2. When Degarmo first pulls his gun, where is it pointed?
(a) At Patton.
(b) At the floor.
(c) At Kingsley.
(d) At Marlowe.
3. What reason does Degarmo give for wanting to solve the murder case?
(a) To show up the captain.
(b) To keep his job on the police force.
(c) To nail Marlowe on a solid rap.
(d) To avenge the woman's death.
4. What does Mrs. Talley threaten to do if Marlowe won't leave?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Have his license taken away.
5. What does Patton do, when he admits to Degarmo that he knew the woman in the photo Degarmo showed around town and didn't tell him?
(a) He blamed Degarmo.
(b) He apologizes.
(c) He accuses Degarmo of deception.
(d) He says he would do the same thing again.
6. What does Patton say about his stomach?
(a) It tells him that Kingsley's no murderer.
(b) His big belly makes a nice target.
(c) It's been growling all morning, waiting for Degarmo and Marlowe.
(d) His belly keeps growing and growing from sitting behind a desk.
7. What misleading statement does Marlowe give Degarmo?
(a) That he saw Kingsley wearing the scarf earlier in the evening.
(b) That he saw the face of the man who hit him.
(c) That Mrs. Kingsley didn't confess to anything before pulling the gun.
(d) That he doesn't remember what happened after he arrived in the apartment.
8. Where does Marlowe suggest Muriel Chess drowned Crystal Kingsley?
(a) In a washtub outside the cabin.
(b) In the lake.
(c) In the Chess's bathtub.
(d) In the Kingsley's bathtub.
9. Does Kingsley say he was in Bay City the previous night?
(a) Yes, he says he followed Marlowe.
(b) No, he says he thought about it but didn't go.
(c) No, he says he didn't go there.
(d) Yes, he says he drove around but didn't see Marlowe or his wife.
10. What color is Captain Webber's hair?
11. What does Webber take off his desk and break, more than once during his interview with Marlowe?
12. What does Mr. Grayson smoke while talking to Marlowe?
(a) A cigar.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A cigarette.
13. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
(a) In Degarmo's unmarked car.
(b) In Marlowe's car.
(c) In a taxi.
(d) In a police squad car.
14. How long does Mrs. Talley say she has been sick?
(a) A year.
(c) A week.
(d) A month.
15. As Marlowe and Degarmo drive toward the lake cabin, what does Marlowe accuse Degarmo of?
(a) Hiring an imperonator to play Mrs. Kingsley.
(b) Letting his wife get away with murdering Mrs. Almore.
(c) Killing Mrs. Kingsley.
(d) Covering up for Lavery's murderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Degarmo do as he draws his weapon on Patton?
2. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
3. What evidence does Marlowe have that Degarmo killed his wife?
4. What choice does Marlowe give the woman he meets at the Peacock Lounge?
5. What does the woman at the bungalow in Westmore Street assume Marlowe is there for?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)