|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Kingsley say he was in Bay City the previous night?
(a) Yes, he says he drove around but didn't see Marlowe or his wife.
(b) No, he says he thought about it but didn't go.
(c) No, he says he didn't go there.
(d) Yes, he says he followed Marlowe.
2. What color is Captain Webber's hair?
3. What does Degarmo do as he draws his weapon on Patton?
(a) He runs toward the door.
(b) He screams.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He dives behind a chair.
4. What do the police who stop Marlowe make him do?
(a) Give them his gun.
(b) Take a white pill.
(c) Drink whiskey.
(d) Give them the keys to his car.
5. How long does Mrs. Talley say she has been sick?
(a) A week.
(b) A month.
(d) A year.
6. What does Miss Fromsett say when Degarmo and Marlowe ask her where Kingsley is?
(a) That she doesn't know.
(b) That she can't tell them whether she knows.
(c) That she will tell them tomorrow.
(d) That she knows but won't tell them.
7. Where does Marlowe say Patton could look for evidence that Degarmo is the killer?
(a) On the butt of Degarmo's gun.
(b) On Degarmo's chest.
(c) Under the fingernails of Degarmo's right hand.
(d) On the back of Degarmo's neck.
8. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
(a) A man rattling on the bars.
(b) A harmonica playing.
(c) A woman screaming.
(d) A guard laughing.
9. Who does Marlowe believe Muriel Chess, a.k.a. Mildred Haviland, wrote to for money?
(a) Mrs. Kingsley.
(d) Dr. Almore.
10. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
(a) He says they never met before.
(b) He says the captain already knows.
(c) He says Marlowe can talk about it all he likes.
(d) He says Marlowe better keep his mouth shut.
11. What does Marlowe see of Patton drawing his weapon?
(a) Him reaching for his holster.
(c) Him pulling up his weapon to fire.
(d) Him pulling the trigger.
12. Whose car is in Kingsley's garage when Degarmo and Marlowe go to Kingsley's house?
(a) The butler's.
(b) The gardner's.
(c) The cook's.
(d) The maid's.
13. What does Captain Webber think of the investigation of Mrs. Almore's death?
(a) It involved no investigation at all.
(b) It was a little superficial.
(c) It was fairly thorough.
(d) It was comprehensive and conclusive.
14. What does Mrs. Talley threaten to do if Marlowe won't leave?
(b) Call the police.
(c) Have his license taken away.
(d) Shoot him.
15. What do Degarmo and Marlowe stop for at Crestline?
(c) A beer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Patton's gunshot hit?
2. When Marlowe brushes his hair, what does he notice about it?
3. What choice does Marlowe give the woman he meets at the Peacock Lounge?
4. What time do Degarmo and Marlowe arrive at Miss Fromsett's apartment building, according to the clerk's wristwatch?
5. What color is the scarf Miss Fromsett gives Marlowe to wear, to identify him?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)