|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe hear as he sits in his jail cell?
(a) A harmonica playing.
(b) A guard laughing.
(c) A man rattling on the bars.
(d) A woman screaming.
2. What misleading statement does Marlowe give Degarmo?
(a) That he doesn't remember what happened after he arrived in the apartment.
(b) That he saw the face of the man who hit him.
(c) That Mrs. Kingsley didn't confess to anything before pulling the gun.
(d) That he saw Kingsley wearing the scarf earlier in the evening.
3. When Marlowe reveals that Mrs. Kingsley has been dead for over a month, what does Kingsley do with his hands?
(a) He clenches his fists.
(b) He grabs his face.
(c) He smacks Degarmo.
(d) He grabs Marlowe's arm.
4. What does Captain Webber think of the investigation of Mrs. Almore's death?
(a) It involved no investigation at all.
(b) It was fairly thorough.
(c) It was comprehensive and conclusive.
(d) It was a little superficial.
5. What is in the window of the gift shop next to the Peacock Lounge?
(a) Gaudy gloves and hats.
(b) Jeweled decorative boxes.
(c) Expensive gold jewelry.
(d) Small crystal animals.
6. What does Patton do, when he admits to Degarmo that he knew the woman in the photo Degarmo showed around town and didn't tell him?
(a) He accuses Degarmo of deception.
(b) He says he would do the same thing again.
(c) He blamed Degarmo.
(d) He apologizes.
7. What does Marlowe do when Mrs. Kingsley mentions the scarf he's wearing?
(a) He takes it off and holds it in his hands.
(b) He takes it off and puts it in his pocket.
(c) He takes it off and wraps it around her neck.
(d) He takes it off and throws it on the floor.
8. What did Talley steal from Florence Almore's body?
(a) A red lace handkerchief.
(b) A small beaded coin purse.
(c) A green velvet shoe.
(d) A white silk glove.
9. What does Mrs. Talley threaten to do if Marlowe won't leave?
(b) Call the police.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Have his license taken away.
10. Who breaks the news to Kingsley that his wife is dead?
(d) Sheriff Patton.
11. What time is it when Marlowe looks at his watch in the jail cell?
(a) Nine fifty-four.
(b) Eleven sixteen.
(c) Ten thirty-five.
(d) Eight twenty-three.
12. What expression is on Patton's face when Marlowe says Degarmo knows Marlowe has already proved Mrs. Kingsley innocent?
(a) A look of anger.
(c) A look of amusement.
(d) A look of shock.
13. Where is Derace Kingsley when Degarmo and Marlowe get to the cabin?
(a) Asleep on the floor.
(b) Asleep in the tub.
(c) Asleep in a chair.
(d) Asleep in the bed.
14. What does Degarmo say when Marlowe asks if he should keep their previous meeting private?
(a) He says they never met before.
(b) He says Marlowe can talk about it all he likes.
(c) He says Marlowe better keep his mouth shut.
(d) He says the captain already knows.
15. What reason does Mrs. Kingsley give for going back to Lavery's after shooting him?
(a) She decided to try to frame someone else.
(b) She wanted to geet rid of the gun.
(c) She had left behind a clue to her identity.
(d) He had taken all her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marlowe and Degarmo leave the murder scene?
2. Where does Degarmo write down the information Marlowe gives about his client?
3. What does Patton say about his stomach?
4. Who is in Marlowe's office building when he returns there?
5. What is on the porch at the bungalow in Westmore Street where Marlowe goes looking for Talley?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)