|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does H.G. Talbot's shirt fit Marlowe?
(a) It is too large.
(b) It is a little too tight.
(c) It fits him perfectly.
(d) It is so small he can't fit his arms in it.
2. What does Webber take off his desk and break, more than once during his interview with Marlowe?
3. Who does Marlowe believe Muriel Chess, a.k.a. Mildred Haviland, wrote to for money?
(b) Dr. Almore.
(d) Mrs. Kingsley.
4. What does Degarmo call the other cop at the scene of the murder Marlowe is framed for?
5. Where does Marlowe say Patton could look for evidence that Degarmo is the killer?
(a) On the butt of Degarmo's gun.
(b) On Degarmo's chest.
(c) Under the fingernails of Degarmo's right hand.
(d) On the back of Degarmo's neck.
6. What is on the porch at the bungalow in Westmore Street where Marlowe goes looking for Talley?
(a) A bench swing.
(b) A tree.
(c) A ladder.
(d) A chair.
7. Where do Andy and Degarmo confront each other?
(a) At Andy's car.
(b) On the dam across the lake.
(c) At the door of the cabin.
(d) On the boat dock.
8. What does the woman at the bungalow in Westmore Street assume Marlowe is there for?
(a) To arrest Talley.
(b) To involve Talley in a crime.
(c) To tell her where Talley is.
(d) To collect an unpaid bill.
9. What does Patton do, when he admits to Degarmo that he knew the woman in the photo Degarmo showed around town and didn't tell him?
(a) He apologizes.
(b) He accuses Degarmo of deception.
(c) He blamed Degarmo.
(d) He says he would do the same thing again.
10. What does Marlowe tell Mrs. Kingsley to distract her and make her move?
(a) That her gun is going to misfire.
(b) That he's heard a noise out in the hallway.
(c) That he saw a man moving behind the curtain.
(d) That she's too close and the gun safety isn't off.
11. What does the cop Eddie who responds to Marlowe's call have behind his ear?
(a) A pencil.
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A stick of gum.
(d) A carnation.
12. What does Mrs. Kingsley do when Marlowe tells her Bill says she made a pass at him?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She admits it.
(d) She groans.
13. As Marlowe and Degarmo drive toward the lake cabin, what does Marlowe accuse Degarmo of?
(a) Killing Mrs. Kingsley.
(b) Covering up for Lavery's murderer.
(c) Hiring an imperonator to play Mrs. Kingsley.
(d) Letting his wife get away with murdering Mrs. Almore.
14. What does Marlowe say Patton should do, when Degarmo wants to leave?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Arrest him.
(c) Take his gun away.
(d) Let him go.
15. When Marlowe brushes his hair, what does he notice about it?
(a) It needs to be cut.
(b) It's got blood in it.
(c) It's got a lot of gray in it.
(d) It needs to be washed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Captain Webber think of the investigation of Mrs. Almore's death?
2. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches his apartment?
3. How was Mrs. Kingsley killed?
4. Who talked to Mrs. Kingsley when she called to ask for money?
5. According to Marlowe, did Muriel Chess expect to meet Lavery in San Bernardino?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)