|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Marlowe sees of the woman at Lavery's house?
(a) Her brown hair.
(b) Her gloved hand.
(c) Her shoe.
(d) Her hat.
2. What reason does Lavery give that Crystal Kingsley might have wanted to get back at him?
(a) He stood her up.
(b) He stole money from her.
(c) She saw him with someone else.
(d) He fought with her, and they broke up.
3. What does Derace Kingsley's company make?
(a) Bottles and packaging.
(b) Cloth and yarn.
(c) Automotive products.
(d) Beauty products.
4. Who does Marlowe suggest to Miss Fromsett might have killed Lavery, aside from Mrs. Kingsley?
(a) A stranger.
(b) Dr. Almore.
(c) Mr. Kingsley.
(d) Bill Chess.
5. What icon does Marlowe have on the business card that he doesn't give to Adrienne Fromsett?
(a) A magnifying glass.
(b) A fingerprint.
(c) A large eye.
(d) A tommy gun.
6. When Marlowe returns to the lake with the police, what has Bill Chess done?
(a) Gone missing.
(b) Pulled the body out of the water.
(c) Gone to his cabin and passed out, drunk.
(d) Fainted on the edge of the lake.
7. What is Marlowe's first impression of Sheriff Patton?
(a) He distrusts the sheriff.
(b) He doesn't know what to make of the sheriff.
(c) He likes the sheriff.
(d) He is antagonistic toward the sheriff.
8. What reason doe Bill Chess at first assume Marlowe might want to look at the cabin?
(a) Because he might find a clue to Crystal Kingsley's whereabouts.
(b) Because he might be an inspector.
(c) Because he might be interested in architecture.
(d) Because he might want to buy it.
9. What does the guard at Puma Lake dam have Marlowe do before driving over?
(a) Present his identification.
(b) Take a sobriety test.
(c) Roll up his windows.
(d) Pay an impromptu toll.
10. What are the initials on the handkerchief Marlowe finds in Lavery's room?
11. How does Marlowe open the window of Bill Chess's cabin?
(a) With a lockpick.
(b) With a knife.
(c) With his fist.
(d) With a rock.
12. What animal does Marlowe compare the blonde at the PBX to?
(a) A kitten.
(b) A leopard.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A minx.
13. Why does Marlowe think Almore won't tell him anything about Lavery?
(a) Because that's what Marlowe's luck is like.
(b) Because Almore is a doctor.
(c) Because of Almore's face.
(d) Because Almore seems nervous.
14. What does Bill Chess throw in the water to recover the body?
(a) A plank of wood.
(b) A large stone.
(c) A tree branch.
(d) A metal pipe.
15. When Marlowe gets home, what does he dream about?
(a) Being in Sheriff Patton's jail.
(b) Being stuck in a hot room with the bellhop.
(c) Being underwater with the corpse.
(d) Being alone in the woods with a deer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How well does Miss Fromsett say she knew Mrs. Almore?
2. What fish does Chess say are in the lake?
3. After finding the gold heart, who does Marlowe speculate killed Muriel?
4. What jarring action does Lavery take before Marlowe leaves?
5. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)