|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe find out about De Soto when he calls the police department?
(a) There's no one named De Soto at the department.
(b) De Soto has been arrested.
(c) De Soto is dead.
(d) De Soto is retired.
2. What does Derace Kingsley's company make?
(a) Cloth and yarn.
(b) Bottles and packaging.
(c) Automotive products.
(d) Beauty products.
3. What is the woman Marlowe meets at Lavery's house holding?
(a) A chain.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A gun.
(d) A knife.
4. Where does Almore watch from, as the big, blond, blue-eyed man accosts Marlowe?
(a) His garage.
(b) His porch.
(c) His car.
(d) His window.
5. What is the first thing Kingsley does, when he goes into his private office with Marlowe?
(a) He gets a file out of his desk drawer.
(b) He lights a cigar.
(c) He opens the safe.
(d) He takes the phone off the hook and turns off the intercom.
6. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
(a) The California Bureau of Investigation.
(b) The Bay City Petty Crimes Division.
(c) The Private Investigator's Licensing Bureau.
(d) The Central Detective Bureau.
7. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
(a) He doesn't want any fingerprints on it.
(b) He doesn't want the murderer's fingerprints on it.
(c) He doesn't want his own fingerprints on it.
(d) He doesn't want Kingsley's fingerprints on it.
8. What floor is Marlowe's room on, at the Prescott Hotel?
(a) The eighth floor.
(b) The fourh floor.
(c) The sixth floor.
(d) The second floor.
9. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
(a) Messy and disorganized.
(b) Clean and neat except for some glasses in the sink.
(c) Disorganized but clean.
(d) Neat and tidy.
10. What building is Derace Kingsley's office in?
(a) The Lindstrom Building.
(b) Th Gillerlain Building.
(c) The Bristow Building.
(d) The Treloar Building.
11. What is Lavery's first reaction when Marlowe says he's working for Kingsley?
(a) To ask Marlowe in.
(b) To shut the window and not talk with Marlowe.
(c) To tell Marlowe to meet him later, in more privacy.
(d) To phone Kingsley and find out if Marlowe's telling the truth.
12. What is Miss Fromsett's alibi for Lavery's murder?
(a) She was at the office.
(b) She was at a beauty salon.
(c) She was at a drug store.
(d) She was at a restaurant.
13. What is significant about the inscription on the gold heart Marlowe finds?
(a) The name Al.
(b) The year 1938.
(c) The name Mildred.
(d) The date June 28.
14. Where do Marlowe and Miss Fromsett go to talk privately?
(a) Into an empty conference room.
(b) Into a luchroom.
(c) Into a supply room.
(d) Into Kingsley's office.
15. Who found Florence Almore's body?
(a) Lou Condy.
(b) Dr. Almore.
(c) Chris Lavery.
(d) Miss Fromsett.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is the Prescott Hotel bellhop able to identify Crystal Kingsley from Marlowe's photograph?
2. What fish does Chess say are in the lake?
3. Who does Birdie Keppel introduce herself as?
4. What was the detective who Mrs. Almore's parents hired to investigate her death sent to jail for?
5. Is the perfume Marlowe smelled in Lavery's bedroom the same kind Miss Fromsett wears?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)