|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
(a) Neat and tidy.
(b) Disorganized but clean.
(c) Messy and disorganized.
(d) Clean and neat except for some glasses in the sink.
2. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
3. What is Miss Fromsett's alibi for Lavery's murder?
(a) She was at a beauty salon.
(b) She was at a drug store.
(c) She was at a restaurant.
(d) She was at the office.
4. Where was Crystal Kingsley's car discovered?
(a) The Tuscany Hotel.
(b) The Austin Arms Resort.
(c) The Prescott Hotel.
(d) The Montaign Hotel.
5. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
(a) A selection of photographs of his wife.
(b) A written outline of the terms of their agreement.
(c) A request for information to the police.
(d) A note of introduction to the cabin caretaker.
6. Did anyone tell Muriel about the man who was possibly looking for her, according to Birdie?
(a) Birdie did.
(b) Bill Chess did.
(c) No one Birdie knows of did.
(d) Jim Patton did.
7. What is significant about the inscription on the gold heart Marlowe finds?
(a) The year 1938.
(b) The name Mildred.
(c) The name Al.
(d) The date June 28.
8. Where does Almore watch from, as the big, blond, blue-eyed man accosts Marlowe?
(a) His window.
(b) His car.
(c) His garage.
(d) His porch.
9. How long does Kingsley say he'll give Marlowe?
(a) Four minutes.
(b) Three minutes.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Two minutes.
10. Why does Marlowe think Almore won't tell him anything about Lavery?
(a) Because Almore seems nervous.
(b) Because that's what Marlowe's luck is like.
(c) Because of Almore's face.
(d) Because Almore is a doctor.
11. When Marlowe confronts Kingsley with the gun from Lavery's, does Kingsley recognize it?
(a) No, he's certain he's never seen it before.
(b) Yes, he says it's his gun.
(c) Yes, he says it's his wife's gun.
(d) No, he can't be sure.
12. Is the Prescott Hotel bellhop able to identify Crystal Kingsley from Marlowe's photograph?
(a) Yes, after a minute, he identifies her.
(b) No, he says she didn't look like the photograph.
(c) Yes, he identifies her immediately.
(d) No, he says blondes of that type all look similar.
13. What does Degarmo accuse Marlowe of?
(a) Casing Almore's house.
(b) Casing Lavery's house.
(c) Being a public nuissance.
14. Where do Marlowe and Miss Fromsett go to talk privately?
(a) Into Kingsley's office.
(b) Into a supply room.
(c) Into an empty conference room.
(d) Into a luchroom.
15. What icon does Marlowe have on the business card that he doesn't give to Adrienne Fromsett?
(a) A large eye.
(b) A tommy gun.
(c) A magnifying glass.
(d) A fingerprint.
Short Answer Questions
1. After finding the gold heart, who does Marlowe speculate killed Muriel?
2. What does Derace Kingsley's company make?
3. When Kingsley leaves his office, where does he tell Miss Fromsett he is going?
4. What does the sheriff imply about Bill's note from Muriel?
5. How far behind in his rent does the woman say Lavery is?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)