|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Marlowe and Miss Fromsett go to talk privately?
(a) Into Kingsley's office.
(b) Into an empty conference room.
(c) Into a luchroom.
(d) Into a supply room.
2. How much money does Marlowe ask for as a retainer?
(a) Two hundred dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) A hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) A hundred dollars.
3. When was the party that Kingsley's wife was supposed to go to, but that she never showed up for?
(a) May 30.
(b) July 1.
(c) July 14.
(d) June 12.
4. What is the first thing Kingsley does, when he goes into his private office with Marlowe?
(a) He opens the safe.
(b) He gets a file out of his desk drawer.
(c) He lights a cigar.
(d) He takes the phone off the hook and turns off the intercom.
5. What jarring action does Lavery take before Marlowe leaves?
(a) He laughs suddenly and inappropriately.
(b) He spits on the rug.
(c) He bangs his fist on the wall.
(d) He slams the window shut.
6. What is Miss Fromsett's alibi for Lavery's murder?
(a) She was at the office.
(b) She was at a restaurant.
(c) She was at a drug store.
(d) She was at a beauty salon.
7. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
8. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches the nearest cabin at the lake?
(a) Someone using an axe.
(b) The sound of a chainsaw.
(c) A bear somewhere in the woods.
(d) A motorboat in the water.
9. What is the woman Marlowe meets at Lavery's house holding?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A knife.
(c) A chain.
(d) A gun.
10. What is the first thing Marlowe sees of the woman at Lavery's house?
(a) Her gloved hand.
(b) Her shoe.
(c) Her brown hair.
(d) Her hat.
11. What does Kingsley tell Marlowe, when Marlowe asks if Mrs. Kingsley has a gun?
(a) No, she does not have a gun.
(b) Yes, she has a small automatic.
(c) Yes, she has a target pistol.
(d) He refuses to say.
12. What car does Lavery drive?
(a) A green sedan.
(b) A blue convertable.
(c) A red sports car.
(d) A sleek, black two-seater.
13. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
14. What communication did Kingsley receive after his wife went missing?
(a) A package from her.
(b) A telegram signed by her.
(c) A letter signed by her.
(d) A phone call from her.
15. What does Lavery tell Marlowe about Crystal Kingsley?
(a) He didn't go to El Paso with her and doesn't know where she is.
(b) He says he knows where she is but won't tell Marlowe.
(c) He went to El Paso with her briefly but doesn't know where she is.
(d) He won't tell Marlowe where she is or whether he even knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe ask the Prescott Hotel bellhop to bring?
2. What is Lavery's first reaction when Marlowe says he's working for Kingsley?
3. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
4. Is the Prescott Hotel bellhop able to identify Crystal Kingsley from Marlowe's photograph?
5. Where does Miss Fromsett say she'll look for the name of Mrs. Almore's parents?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)