|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marlowe gets home, what does he dream about?
(a) Being underwater with the corpse.
(b) Being stuck in a hot room with the bellhop.
(c) Being in Sheriff Patton's jail.
(d) Being alone in the woods with a deer.
2. How does Marlowe open the window of Bill Chess's cabin?
(a) With a lockpick.
(b) With his fist.
(c) With a knife.
(d) With a rock.
3. What does Degarmo accuse Marlowe of?
(a) Being a public nuissance.
(c) Casing Lavery's house.
(d) Casing Almore's house.
4. What does Marlowe ask the Prescott Hotel bellhop to bring?
(a) Ginger ale, glasses, and ice.
(b) A steak dinner and beer.
(c) Extra blankets.
(d) The hotel register.
5. What does the guard at Puma Lake dam have Marlowe do before driving over?
(a) Roll up his windows.
(b) Pay an impromptu toll.
(c) Present his identification.
(d) Take a sobriety test.
6. What floor is Marlowe's room on, at the Prescott Hotel?
(a) The fourh floor.
(b) The second floor.
(c) The eighth floor.
(d) The sixth floor.
7. What name does Marlowe give the woman he meets in Lavery's house?
(a) Philo Vance.
(b) Phillip Marlowe.
(c) Paulo Nuncio.
(d) Perry Martin.
8. What is significant about the inscription on the gold heart Marlowe finds?
(a) The year 1938.
(b) The name Mildred.
(c) The name Al.
(d) The date June 28.
9. When Marlowe returns to the lake with the police, what has Bill Chess done?
(a) Gone missing.
(b) Fainted on the edge of the lake.
(c) Gone to his cabin and passed out, drunk.
(d) Pulled the body out of the water.
10. What does Derace Kingsley's company make?
(a) Cloth and yarn.
(b) Bottles and packaging.
(c) Beauty products.
(d) Automotive products.
11. What is Miss Fromsett's alibi for Lavery's murder?
(a) She was at a drug store.
(b) She was at the office.
(c) She was at a beauty salon.
(d) She was at a restaurant.
12. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
(a) Because their houses look so similar to each other.
(b) Because of how Almore looks at him.
(c) Because they have the only two houses on the block.
(d) Because he sees a note from Almore in Lavery's house.
13. Did anyone tell Muriel about the man who was possibly looking for her, according to Birdie?
(a) Bill Chess did.
(b) Birdie did.
(c) Jim Patton did.
(d) No one Birdie knows of did.
14. When Marlowe confronts Kingsley with the gun from Lavery's, does Kingsley recognize it?
(a) No, he can't be sure.
(b) Yes, he says it's his gun.
(c) No, he's certain he's never seen it before.
(d) Yes, he says it's his wife's gun.
15. Who is waiting for Marlowe in Chess's cabin?
(a) Sheriff Patton.
(d) Bill Chess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
2. What is Lavery's first reaction when Marlowe says he's working for Kingsley?
3. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
4. Where was Crystal Kingsley's car discovered?
5. Who does Birdie say came to town looking for someone who might have been Muriel Chess?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)