|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What building is Derace Kingsley's office in?
(a) The Lindstrom Building.
(b) The Treloar Building.
(c) The Bristow Building.
(d) Th Gillerlain Building.
2. Who does Birdie say came to town looking for someone who might have been Muriel Chess?
(a) An elderly man from the midwest.
(b) A Las Vegas tough guy.
(c) A Los Angeles cop.
(d) A San Francisco private detective.
3. What icon does Marlowe have on the business card that he doesn't give to Adrienne Fromsett?
(a) A fingerprint.
(b) A large eye.
(c) A magnifying glass.
(d) A tommy gun.
4. Did anyone tell Muriel about the man who was possibly looking for her, according to Birdie?
(a) Bill Chess did.
(b) No one Birdie knows of did.
(c) Birdie did.
(d) Jim Patton did.
5. What fish does Chess say are in the lake?
(a) A lot of young salmon.
(b) A smattering of small bass.
(d) Some smart old trout.
6. What does Marlowe tell Birdie?
(a) Marlowe tells Birdie the whole story, including why he's there and Chess's affair with Crystal.
(b) Marlowe tells Birdie what happened at the lake, leaving out his profession and why he's there.
(c) Marlowe tells Birdie nothing, saying he'll let the sheriff decide what to tell her.
(d) Marlowe confirms that Muriel's body was discovered but will say nothing else.
7. What does Lavery tell Marlowe about Crystal Kingsley?
(a) He went to El Paso with her briefly but doesn't know where she is.
(b) He didn't go to El Paso with her and doesn't know where she is.
(c) He won't tell Marlowe where she is or whether he even knows.
(d) He says he knows where she is but won't tell Marlowe.
8. What reason does Lavery give that Crystal Kingsley might have wanted to get back at him?
(a) He stole money from her.
(b) He stood her up.
(c) She saw him with someone else.
(d) He fought with her, and they broke up.
9. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
(a) He doesn't want his own fingerprints on it.
(b) He doesn't want Kingsley's fingerprints on it.
(c) He doesn't want the murderer's fingerprints on it.
(d) He doesn't want any fingerprints on it.
10. Where was Crystal Kingsley's car discovered?
(a) The Prescott Hotel.
(b) The Tuscany Hotel.
(c) The Austin Arms Resort.
(d) The Montaign Hotel.
11. What does Marlowe say he's come to see Lavery about?
(a) His car payments.
(b) His stock portfolio.
(c) A bank loan.
(d) The purchase of some jewelry.
12. What is Kingsley afraid his wife might get in trouble for?
(a) Using drugs.
(b) Using an assumed identity.
(d) Drunk driving.
13. Who does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say will want to talk to Marlowe before the inquest?
(a) The San Bernardino Coroner.
(b) The San Bernardino Police Department.
(c) The San Bernardino District Attorney.
(d) The San Bernardino County Sheriff.
14. When was the party that Kingsley's wife was supposed to go to, but that she never showed up for?
(a) May 30.
(b) June 12.
(c) July 1.
(d) July 14.
15. What is Marlowe's first impression of Sheriff Patton?
(a) He is antagonistic toward the sheriff.
(b) He likes the sheriff.
(c) He doesn't know what to make of the sheriff.
(d) He distrusts the sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Marlowe and Miss Fromsett go to talk privately?
2. Why does Marlowe think Almore won't tell him anything about Lavery?
3. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley, before explaining what he's discovered?
4. Who is waiting for Marlowe in Chess's cabin?
5. What reason doe Bill Chess at first assume Marlowe might want to look at the cabin?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)