|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fish does Chess say are in the lake?
(a) A smattering of small bass.
(b) Some smart old trout.
(d) A lot of young salmon.
2. Is the perfume Marlowe smelled in Lavery's bedroom the same kind Miss Fromsett wears?
(a) No, it's the scent of a different type of flower.
(b) Yes, it's a scent she wears all the time.
(c) Yes, it's a scent she wears occassionally.
(d) No, it's a cheaper, synthetic scent.
3. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
(a) He doesn't want Kingsley's fingerprints on it.
(b) He doesn't want any fingerprints on it.
(c) He doesn't want the murderer's fingerprints on it.
(d) He doesn't want his own fingerprints on it.
4. What is Lavery's first reaction when Marlowe says he's working for Kingsley?
(a) To ask Marlowe in.
(b) To shut the window and not talk with Marlowe.
(c) To tell Marlowe to meet him later, in more privacy.
(d) To phone Kingsley and find out if Marlowe's telling the truth.
5. What is Kingsley afraid his wife might get in trouble for?
(a) Using an assumed identity.
(b) Drunk driving.
(c) Using drugs.
6. What does Lavery tell Marlowe about Crystal Kingsley?
(a) He went to El Paso with her briefly but doesn't know where she is.
(b) He says he knows where she is but won't tell Marlowe.
(c) He didn't go to El Paso with her and doesn't know where she is.
(d) He won't tell Marlowe where she is or whether he even knows.
7. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
(a) A selection of photographs of his wife.
(b) A note of introduction to the cabin caretaker.
(c) A request for information to the police.
(d) A written outline of the terms of their agreement.
8. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
(a) The Central Detective Bureau.
(b) The California Bureau of Investigation.
(c) The Private Investigator's Licensing Bureau.
(d) The Bay City Petty Crimes Division.
9. Where does the black Cadillac coupe come from that drives by Marlowe, as he is knocking at Lavery's door?
(a) The house next to Lavery's.
(b) The cross-street to the north.
(c) The house across the street from Lavery's.
(d) The cross-street to the south.
10. What reason does Lavery give that Crystal Kingsley might have wanted to get back at him?
(a) She saw him with someone else.
(b) He fought with her, and they broke up.
(c) He stood her up.
(d) He stole money from her.
11. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
12. When does Lavery say he was up at Little Fawn Lake?
(a) The second week in May.
(b) The first week in May.
(c) The third week in May.
(d) The last week in April.
13. What evidence does Marlowe think makes Bill unlikely to have murdered his wife?
(a) That Bill had kept his wife's note.
(b) That Bill pointed out the body when he didn't have to.
(c) That Bill seemed willing to talk about his wife.
(d) That Bill seemed upset at his wife's death.
14. What animal does Marlowe compare the blonde at the PBX to?
(a) A kitten.
(b) A leopard.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A minx.
15. Where did the sheriff find Muriel's anklet?
(a) In a sofa cushion.
(b) In a cookie jar.
(c) In a box of confectioner's sugar.
(d) In a hollowed-out book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe find out about De Soto when he calls the police department?
2. What does Marlowe find in Muriel Chess's bedroom that he thinks she wouldn't have left behind?
3. What does Derace Kingsley's company make?
4. Who found Florence Almore's body?
5. How many cars is the garage at Almore's house built to hold?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)