|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sheriff imply about Bill's note from Muriel?
(a) That she might have written it long ago, the last time she left him.
(b) That it might be forged by Bill.
(c) That it might have been written after she disappeared.
(d) That it might be intended to deceive him.
2. What is on the mirror-topped table in Lavery's bedroom?
(a) A purple water bowl and pitcher.
(b) A crystal greyhound and a crystal cigarette box.
(c) A sculpture of a dove and one of a fox.
(d) A wooden pipe and a tobacco pouch.
3. What does Marlowe ask the Prescott Hotel bellhop to bring?
(a) The hotel register.
(b) Ginger ale, glasses, and ice.
(c) A steak dinner and beer.
(d) Extra blankets.
4. Why does Marlowe think Almore won't tell him anything about Lavery?
(a) Because Almore seems nervous.
(b) Because that's what Marlowe's luck is like.
(c) Because Almore is a doctor.
(d) Because of Almore's face.
5. What does Degarmo accuse Marlowe of?
(a) Being a public nuissance.
(b) Casing Almore's house.
(d) Casing Lavery's house.
6. What evidence does Marlowe think makes Bill unlikely to have murdered his wife?
(a) That Bill seemed willing to talk about his wife.
(b) That Bill seemed upset at his wife's death.
(c) That Bill had kept his wife's note.
(d) That Bill pointed out the body when he didn't have to.
7. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
(a) Because of how Almore looks at him.
(b) Because they have the only two houses on the block.
(c) Because their houses look so similar to each other.
(d) Because he sees a note from Almore in Lavery's house.
8. What jewelry does Adrienne Fromsett wear?
(a) A platinum ring.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) Diamond earrings.
(d) A linked bracelet.
9. What does Marlowe ask about that makes Bill Chess get defensive?
(a) Whether Kingsley comes up often.
(b) Whether there is central heating.
(c) Whether the beds are comfortable.
(d) Whether Chess has lived there long.
10. Where did the sheriff find Muriel's anklet?
(a) In a cookie jar.
(b) In a sofa cushion.
(c) In a hollowed-out book.
(d) In a box of confectioner's sugar.
11. What does Bill Chess throw in the water to recover the body?
(a) A metal pipe.
(b) A tree branch.
(c) A plank of wood.
(d) A large stone.
12. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
(a) Reproductions of classical paintings.
(b) Botanical prints of local plants.
(c) Photographs of Bill's family.
(d) A set of war maps.
13. Where does the Prescott Hotel bellhop say he's from?
(a) Short Springs, Kentucky.
(b) Amarillo, Texas.
(c) Rock Cove, Maine.
(d) Portland, Oregon.
14. What building is Derace Kingsley's office in?
(a) The Lindstrom Building.
(b) Th Gillerlain Building.
(c) The Bristow Building.
(d) The Treloar Building.
15. Who is waiting for Marlowe in Chess's cabin?
(c) Bill Chess.
(d) Sheriff Patton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
2. What room does Marlowe find locked?
3. Where does Miss Fromsett say she'll look for the name of Mrs. Almore's parents?
4. What name does Marlowe give the woman he meets in Lavery's house?
5. Why did Lavery think about marrying Crystal Kingsley?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)