|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marlowe think Almore won't tell him anything about Lavery?
(a) Because Almore seems nervous.
(b) Because of Almore's face.
(c) Because that's what Marlowe's luck is like.
(d) Because Almore is a doctor.
2. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
(a) Black and gold.
(b) Silver and white.
(c) Blue and green.
(d) Gray and yellow.
3. What does Marlowe identify as Bill's biggest problem, if he killed Muriel?
(a) Getting rid of Muriel's clothes.
(b) Getting rid of any blood evidence in the house.
(c) Explaining Muriel's disappearance to her friends.
(d) Getting rid of Muriel's car.
4. What is the first thing Marlowe sees of the woman at Lavery's house?
(a) Her brown hair.
(b) Her shoe.
(c) Her hat.
(d) Her gloved hand.
5. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley, before explaining what he's discovered?
(a) Whether he's ready.
(b) Whether he's alone.
(c) Whether he's sitting down.
(d) Whether he wants to hear the bad news.
6. When Marlowe returns to the lake with the police, what has Bill Chess done?
(a) Fainted on the edge of the lake.
(b) Pulled the body out of the water.
(c) Gone missing.
(d) Gone to his cabin and passed out, drunk.
7. How much money does Marlowe ask for as a retainer?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) A hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) A hundred dollars.
8. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
9. What communication did Kingsley receive after his wife went missing?
(a) A package from her.
(b) A phone call from her.
(c) A letter signed by her.
(d) A telegram signed by her.
10. What does Marlowe tell Birdie?
(a) Marlowe tells Birdie what happened at the lake, leaving out his profession and why he's there.
(b) Marlowe confirms that Muriel's body was discovered but will say nothing else.
(c) Marlowe tells Birdie nothing, saying he'll let the sheriff decide what to tell her.
(d) Marlowe tells Birdie the whole story, including why he's there and Chess's affair with Crystal.
11. What impression does Marlowe have from Miss Fromsett, after she gives him Chris Lavery's address?
(a) That she's seen Chris Lavery, and recently, despite what she says.
(b) That Chris Lavery stirs up pleasant memories.
(c) That Chris Lavery isn't a pleasant thought for her.
(d) That she is curious about what business her boss has with Marlowe.
12. What is the woman Marlowe meets at Lavery's house holding?
(a) A chain.
(b) A knife.
(c) A gun.
(d) A scarf.
13. Did anyone tell Muriel about the man who was possibly looking for her, according to Birdie?
(a) Birdie did.
(b) Jim Patton did.
(c) No one Birdie knows of did.
(d) Bill Chess did.
14. Who does Birdie Keppel introduce herself as?
(a) The local beautician and newspaper reporter.
(b) The local schoolteacher and mortician.
(c) The local bar owner and radio announcer.
(d) The local nurse and medical examiner.
15. Who does Birdie say came to town looking for someone who might have been Muriel Chess?
(a) A San Francisco private detective.
(b) A Los Angeles cop.
(c) An elderly man from the midwest.
(d) A Las Vegas tough guy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
2. What is Marlowe's first impression of Sheriff Patton?
3. What does Marlowe ask about that makes Bill Chess get defensive?
4. How does Marlowe see Almore telephoning?
5. What does Marlowe see in the water that looks like underwatter flooring?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)