|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
(a) The Bay City Petty Crimes Division.
(b) The Private Investigator's Licensing Bureau.
(c) The California Bureau of Investigation.
(d) The Central Detective Bureau.
2. What fish does Chess say are in the lake?
(b) A lot of young salmon.
(c) A smattering of small bass.
(d) Some smart old trout.
3. How does Marlowe describe Adrienne Fromsett?
(a) Short, blue-eyed, and black-haired.
(b) Slight, small, and blonde.
(c) Tall, lean, and dark-haired.
(d) A hard, tough redhead.
4. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
5. What does the sheriff imply about Bill's note from Muriel?
(a) That it might be forged by Bill.
(b) That it might have been written after she disappeared.
(c) That she might have written it long ago, the last time she left him.
(d) That it might be intended to deceive him.
6. What is on the mirror-topped table in Lavery's bedroom?
(a) A purple water bowl and pitcher.
(b) A wooden pipe and a tobacco pouch.
(c) A crystal greyhound and a crystal cigarette box.
(d) A sculpture of a dove and one of a fox.
7. What was the detective who Mrs. Almore's parents hired to investigate her death sent to jail for?
(a) Reckless endangerment.
(b) Possession of illegal drugs.
(c) Impersonating a police officer.
(d) Drunk driving.
8. When Marlowe gets home, what does he dream about?
(a) Being underwater with the corpse.
(b) Being stuck in a hot room with the bellhop.
(c) Being in Sheriff Patton's jail.
(d) Being alone in the woods with a deer.
9. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley, before explaining what he's discovered?
(a) Whether he's alone.
(b) Whether he's ready.
(c) Whether he's sitting down.
(d) Whether he wants to hear the bad news.
10. What are the initials on the handkerchief Marlowe finds in Lavery's room?
11. What is Lavery's arm like when Marlowe pulls at it?
(a) Cold and stiff.
(b) Warm and stiff.
(c) Warm and pliable.
(d) Cold and pliable.
12. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
(a) Disorganized but clean.
(b) Neat and tidy.
(c) Messy and disorganized.
(d) Clean and neat except for some glasses in the sink.
13. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
(a) Because they have the only two houses on the block.
(b) Because of how Almore looks at him.
(c) Because their houses look so similar to each other.
(d) Because he sees a note from Almore in Lavery's house.
14. Is the Prescott Hotel bellhop able to identify Crystal Kingsley from Marlowe's photograph?
(a) No, he says she didn't look like the photograph.
(b) Yes, after a minute, he identifies her.
(c) No, he says blondes of that type all look similar.
(d) Yes, he identifies her immediately.
15. What does Marlowe say he's come to see Lavery about?
(a) His stock portfolio.
(b) His car payments.
(c) A bank loan.
(d) The purchase of some jewelry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe use to open the locked door?
2. What do most of the Athletic Club members seem to do in the club library?
3. What is the first thing Marlowe sees of the woman at Lavery's house?
4. What does Lavery tell Marlowe about Crystal Kingsley?
5. What clue does Marlowe see that Lavery was up at Little Fawn Lake?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)