|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Birdie say came to town looking for someone who might have been Muriel Chess?
(a) An elderly man from the midwest.
(b) A Los Angeles cop.
(c) A Las Vegas tough guy.
(d) A San Francisco private detective.
2. What impression does Marlowe have from Miss Fromsett, after she gives him Chris Lavery's address?
(a) That she's seen Chris Lavery, and recently, despite what she says.
(b) That Chris Lavery isn't a pleasant thought for her.
(c) That Chris Lavery stirs up pleasant memories.
(d) That she is curious about what business her boss has with Marlowe.
3. When Marlowe gets home, what does he dream about?
(a) Being stuck in a hot room with the bellhop.
(b) Being in Sheriff Patton's jail.
(c) Being underwater with the corpse.
(d) Being alone in the woods with a deer.
4. What does Degarmo accuse Marlowe of?
(b) Being a public nuissance.
(c) Casing Almore's house.
(d) Casing Lavery's house.
5. What car does Lavery drive?
(a) A red sports car.
(b) A sleek, black two-seater.
(c) A blue convertable.
(d) A green sedan.
6. What name does Marlowe give the woman he meets in Lavery's house?
(a) Paulo Nuncio.
(b) Phillip Marlowe.
(c) Philo Vance.
(d) Perry Martin.
7. What is Lavery's first reaction when Marlowe says he's working for Kingsley?
(a) To phone Kingsley and find out if Marlowe's telling the truth.
(b) To tell Marlowe to meet him later, in more privacy.
(c) To ask Marlowe in.
(d) To shut the window and not talk with Marlowe.
8. How many cars is the garage at Almore's house built to hold?
9. How does Marlowe describe Adrienne Fromsett?
(a) Tall, lean, and dark-haired.
(b) A hard, tough redhead.
(c) Short, blue-eyed, and black-haired.
(d) Slight, small, and blonde.
10. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
(a) He doesn't want his own fingerprints on it.
(b) He doesn't want the murderer's fingerprints on it.
(c) He doesn't want Kingsley's fingerprints on it.
(d) He doesn't want any fingerprints on it.
11. What jarring action does Lavery take before Marlowe leaves?
(a) He laughs suddenly and inappropriately.
(b) He spits on the rug.
(c) He slams the window shut.
(d) He bangs his fist on the wall.
12. What evidence does Marlowe think makes Bill unlikely to have murdered his wife?
(a) That Bill pointed out the body when he didn't have to.
(b) That Bill seemed willing to talk about his wife.
(c) That Bill seemed upset at his wife's death.
(d) That Bill had kept his wife's note.
13. What was the detective who Mrs. Almore's parents hired to investigate her death sent to jail for?
(a) Drunk driving.
(b) Impersonating a police officer.
(c) Possession of illegal drugs.
(d) Reckless endangerment.
14. What does Marlowe identify as Bill's biggest problem, if he killed Muriel?
(a) Getting rid of any blood evidence in the house.
(b) Getting rid of Muriel's clothes.
(c) Getting rid of Muriel's car.
(d) Explaining Muriel's disappearance to her friends.
15. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
(a) Disorganized but clean.
(b) Neat and tidy.
(c) Clean and neat except for some glasses in the sink.
(d) Messy and disorganized.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lavery's arm like when Marlowe pulls at it?
2. What stops Marlowe from leaving, when he reaches down to turn on his ignition?
3. What does the sheriff imply about Bill's note from Muriel?
4. Where does Miss Fromsett say she'll look for the name of Mrs. Almore's parents?
5. When Marlowe confronts Kingsley with the gun from Lavery's, does Kingsley recognize it?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)