|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
(a) The Central Detective Bureau.
(b) The Bay City Petty Crimes Division.
(c) The Private Investigator's Licensing Bureau.
(d) The California Bureau of Investigation.
2. What does Marlowe tell Birdie?
(a) Marlowe tells Birdie nothing, saying he'll let the sheriff decide what to tell her.
(b) Marlowe tells Birdie the whole story, including why he's there and Chess's affair with Crystal.
(c) Marlowe tells Birdie what happened at the lake, leaving out his profession and why he's there.
(d) Marlowe confirms that Muriel's body was discovered but will say nothing else.
3. Who is waiting for Marlowe in Chess's cabin?
(b) Bill Chess.
(c) Sheriff Patton.
4. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
(a) Clean and neat except for some glasses in the sink.
(b) Messy and disorganized.
(c) Neat and tidy.
(d) Disorganized but clean.
5. When does Lavery say he was up at Little Fawn Lake?
(a) The first week in May.
(b) The third week in May.
(c) The last week in April.
(d) The second week in May.
6. After finding the gold heart, who does Marlowe speculate killed Muriel?
(a) The sheriff.
(b) A man from her past.
7. Where was Crystal Kingsley's car discovered?
(a) The Prescott Hotel.
(b) The Tuscany Hotel.
(c) The Montaign Hotel.
(d) The Austin Arms Resort.
8. What is significant about the inscription on the gold heart Marlowe finds?
(a) The name Mildred.
(b) The date June 28.
(c) The name Al.
(d) The year 1938.
9. What does Marlowe ask the Prescott Hotel bellhop to bring?
(a) Ginger ale, glasses, and ice.
(b) A steak dinner and beer.
(c) The hotel register.
(d) Extra blankets.
10. What communication did Kingsley receive after his wife went missing?
(a) A letter signed by her.
(b) A phone call from her.
(c) A telegram signed by her.
(d) A package from her.
11. Is the perfume Marlowe smelled in Lavery's bedroom the same kind Miss Fromsett wears?
(a) No, it's a cheaper, synthetic scent.
(b) No, it's the scent of a different type of flower.
(c) Yes, it's a scent she wears all the time.
(d) Yes, it's a scent she wears occassionally.
12. How far behind in his rent does the woman say Lavery is?
(a) Two months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Four months.
(d) Three months.
13. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
14. How does Marlowe open the window of Bill Chess's cabin?
(a) With his fist.
(b) With a knife.
(c) With a rock.
(d) With a lockpick.
15. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
(a) Because he sees a note from Almore in Lavery's house.
(b) Because of how Almore looks at him.
(c) Because their houses look so similar to each other.
(d) Because they have the only two houses on the block.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe find out about De Soto when he calls the police department?
2. What does Marlowe identify as Bill's biggest problem, if he killed Muriel?
3. What car does Lavery drive?
4. What was the detective who Mrs. Almore's parents hired to investigate her death sent to jail for?
5. Who does Birdie say came to town looking for someone who might have been Muriel Chess?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)