|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the party that Kingsley's wife was supposed to go to, but that she never showed up for?
(a) July 14.
(b) June 12.
(c) May 30.
(d) July 1.
2. What evidence does Marlowe think makes Bill unlikely to have murdered his wife?
(a) That Bill had kept his wife's note.
(b) That Bill seemed upset at his wife's death.
(c) That Bill pointed out the body when he didn't have to.
(d) That Bill seemed willing to talk about his wife.
3. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
(a) Because of how Almore looks at him.
(b) Because their houses look so similar to each other.
(c) Because he sees a note from Almore in Lavery's house.
(d) Because they have the only two houses on the block.
4. What does Marlowe identify as Bill's biggest problem, if he killed Muriel?
(a) Getting rid of Muriel's car.
(b) Getting rid of any blood evidence in the house.
(c) Getting rid of Muriel's clothes.
(d) Explaining Muriel's disappearance to her friends.
5. What does Marlowe say he's come to see Lavery about?
(a) His stock portfolio.
(b) His car payments.
(c) A bank loan.
(d) The purchase of some jewelry.
6. What does Bill Chess throw in the water to recover the body?
(a) A large stone.
(b) A tree branch.
(c) A plank of wood.
(d) A metal pipe.
7. Is the perfume Marlowe smelled in Lavery's bedroom the same kind Miss Fromsett wears?
(a) No, it's a cheaper, synthetic scent.
(b) Yes, it's a scent she wears all the time.
(c) Yes, it's a scent she wears occassionally.
(d) No, it's the scent of a different type of flower.
8. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley, before explaining what he's discovered?
(a) Whether he's sitting down.
(b) Whether he's ready.
(c) Whether he wants to hear the bad news.
(d) Whether he's alone.
9. When Marlowe returns to Lavery's house, what does he notice about the door?
(a) It's got scratch marks on it.
(b) It's been forced open.
(c) It's double-locked.
(d) It's not quite shut.
10. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
(a) Botanical prints of local plants.
(b) Reproductions of classical paintings.
(c) A set of war maps.
(d) Photographs of Bill's family.
11. Where does Almore watch from, as the big, blond, blue-eyed man accosts Marlowe?
(a) His porch.
(b) His garage.
(c) His window.
(d) His car.
12. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
(a) Black and gold.
(b) Silver and white.
(c) Blue and green.
(d) Gray and yellow.
13. What communication did Kingsley receive after his wife went missing?
(a) A telegram signed by her.
(b) A phone call from her.
(c) A letter signed by her.
(d) A package from her.
14. Where does the black Cadillac coupe come from that drives by Marlowe, as he is knocking at Lavery's door?
(a) The house across the street from Lavery's.
(b) The cross-street to the north.
(c) The house next to Lavery's.
(d) The cross-street to the south.
15. What jewelry does Adrienne Fromsett wear?
(a) Diamond earrings.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) A platinum ring.
(d) A linked bracelet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
2. What does Marlowe use to open the locked door?
3. After finding the gold heart, who does Marlowe speculate killed Muriel?
4. What is Lavery's arm like when Marlowe pulls at it?
5. What does Derace Kingsley's company make?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)