|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Marlowe suggest to Miss Fromsett might have killed Lavery, aside from Mrs. Kingsley?
(a) Bill Chess.
(b) A stranger.
(c) Mr. Kingsley.
(d) Dr. Almore.
2. What does Marlowe ask about that makes Bill Chess get defensive?
(a) Whether Kingsley comes up often.
(b) Whether there is central heating.
(c) Whether Chess has lived there long.
(d) Whether the beds are comfortable.
3. When Marlowe returns to the lake with the police, what has Bill Chess done?
(a) Fainted on the edge of the lake.
(b) Gone to his cabin and passed out, drunk.
(c) Pulled the body out of the water.
(d) Gone missing.
4. What does Marlowe see in the water that looks like underwatter flooring?
(a) A cabin that's fallen into the water.
(b) A sunken walkway.
(c) A sunken swimming float.
(d) A sunken boat landing.
5. How many cars is the garage at Almore's house built to hold?
6. What does Marlowe use to open the locked door?
(a) A pen.
(b) A lockpick.
(c) A nail file.
(d) A coat hanger.
7. Where did the sheriff find Muriel's anklet?
(a) In a hollowed-out book.
(b) In a cookie jar.
(c) In a sofa cushion.
(d) In a box of confectioner's sugar.
8. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
(a) Messy and disorganized.
(b) Clean and neat except for some glasses in the sink.
(c) Neat and tidy.
(d) Disorganized but clean.
9. How far behind in his rent does the woman say Lavery is?
(a) Three months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Four months.
(d) Two months.
10. When does Lavery say he was up at Little Fawn Lake?
(a) The first week in May.
(b) The third week in May.
(c) The last week in April.
(d) The second week in May.
11. What reason does Lavery give that Crystal Kingsley might have wanted to get back at him?
(a) She saw him with someone else.
(b) He fought with her, and they broke up.
(c) He stood her up.
(d) He stole money from her.
12. What is the woman Marlowe meets at Lavery's house holding?
(a) A chain.
(b) A gun.
(c) A knife.
(d) A scarf.
13. How does Marlowe see Almore telephoning?
(a) Almore has opened his window curtains.
(b) Almore takes his telephone out on the back porch.
(c) Marlowe takes out a pair of binoculars to look through a crack in the curtains.
(d) Marlowe sneaks up to the house and looks through the window.
14. What do most of the Athletic Club members seem to do in the club library?
15. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
(a) He doesn't want his own fingerprints on it.
(b) He doesn't want the murderer's fingerprints on it.
(c) He doesn't want Kingsley's fingerprints on it.
(d) He doesn't want any fingerprints on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
2. How much did Marlowe overpay for his phone call?
3. When Kingsley leaves his office, where does he tell Miss Fromsett he is going?
4. Who does Birdie Keppel introduce herself as?
5. What building is Derace Kingsley's office in?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)