|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many cars is the garage at Almore's house built to hold?
2. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley, before explaining what he's discovered?
(a) Whether he's sitting down.
(b) Whether he's ready.
(c) Whether he wants to hear the bad news.
(d) Whether he's alone.
3. How does Marlowe describe Adrienne Fromsett?
(a) Tall, lean, and dark-haired.
(b) Short, blue-eyed, and black-haired.
(c) A hard, tough redhead.
(d) Slight, small, and blonde.
4. What icon does Marlowe have on the business card that he doesn't give to Adrienne Fromsett?
(a) A large eye.
(b) A fingerprint.
(c) A tommy gun.
(d) A magnifying glass.
5. What is Kingsley afraid his wife might get in trouble for?
(a) Drunk driving.
(b) Using drugs.
(c) Using an assumed identity.
6. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches the nearest cabin at the lake?
(a) A bear somewhere in the woods.
(b) Someone using an axe.
(c) A motorboat in the water.
(d) The sound of a chainsaw.
7. What does Marlowe use to open the locked door?
(a) A coat hanger.
(b) A lockpick.
(c) A nail file.
(d) A pen.
8. When Marlowe gets home, what does he dream about?
(a) Being in Sheriff Patton's jail.
(b) Being alone in the woods with a deer.
(c) Being underwater with the corpse.
(d) Being stuck in a hot room with the bellhop.
9. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
(a) Disorganized but clean.
(b) Neat and tidy.
(c) Clean and neat except for some glasses in the sink.
(d) Messy and disorganized.
10. What is significant about the inscription on the gold heart Marlowe finds?
(a) The name Al.
(b) The year 1938.
(c) The date June 28.
(d) The name Mildred.
11. What was the detective who Mrs. Almore's parents hired to investigate her death sent to jail for?
(a) Drunk driving.
(b) Possession of illegal drugs.
(c) Impersonating a police officer.
(d) Reckless endangerment.
12. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
13. How much did Marlowe overpay for his phone call?
(a) Five cents.
(b) Fifteen cents.
(c) Twenty cents.
(d) Ten cents.
14. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
(a) He doesn't want his own fingerprints on it.
(b) He doesn't want any fingerprints on it.
(c) He doesn't want the murderer's fingerprints on it.
(d) He doesn't want Kingsley's fingerprints on it.
15. Is the Prescott Hotel bellhop able to identify Crystal Kingsley from Marlowe's photograph?
(a) No, he says blondes of that type all look similar.
(b) No, he says she didn't look like the photograph.
(c) Yes, after a minute, he identifies her.
(d) Yes, he identifies her immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lavery's arm like when Marlowe pulls at it?
2. Where does Almore watch from, as the big, blond, blue-eyed man accosts Marlowe?
3. What fish does Chess say are in the lake?
4. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
5. What jarring action does Lavery take before Marlowe leaves?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)