|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What floor is Marlowe's room on, at the Prescott Hotel?
(a) The second floor.
(b) The fourh floor.
(c) The sixth floor.
(d) The eighth floor.
2. When was the party that Kingsley's wife was supposed to go to, but that she never showed up for?
(a) July 1.
(b) May 30.
(c) June 12.
(d) July 14.
3. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
(a) Silver and white.
(b) Blue and green.
(c) Black and gold.
(d) Gray and yellow.
4. How much money does Marlowe ask for as a retainer?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) A hundred dollars.
(d) A hundred and fifty dollars.
5. When Marlowe gets home, what does he dream about?
(a) Being in Sheriff Patton's jail.
(b) Being alone in the woods with a deer.
(c) Being underwater with the corpse.
(d) Being stuck in a hot room with the bellhop.
6. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
(a) A note of introduction to the cabin caretaker.
(b) A request for information to the police.
(c) A selection of photographs of his wife.
(d) A written outline of the terms of their agreement.
7. What is the first thing Kingsley does, when he goes into his private office with Marlowe?
(a) He lights a cigar.
(b) He gets a file out of his desk drawer.
(c) He takes the phone off the hook and turns off the intercom.
(d) He opens the safe.
8. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
(a) The Private Investigator's Licensing Bureau.
(b) The Central Detective Bureau.
(c) The California Bureau of Investigation.
(d) The Bay City Petty Crimes Division.
9. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
10. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches the nearest cabin at the lake?
(a) A bear somewhere in the woods.
(b) Someone using an axe.
(c) A motorboat in the water.
(d) The sound of a chainsaw.
11. What stops Marlowe from leaving, when he reaches down to turn on his ignition?
(a) Marlowe's car doesn't start.
(b) Lavery comes out of his house.
(c) A woman walks up the street.
(d) Almore comes out of his house.
12. Is the perfume Marlowe smelled in Lavery's bedroom the same kind Miss Fromsett wears?
(a) No, it's the scent of a different type of flower.
(b) Yes, it's a scent she wears occassionally.
(c) No, it's a cheaper, synthetic scent.
(d) Yes, it's a scent she wears all the time.
13. When Marlowe returns to the lake with the police, what has Bill Chess done?
(a) Gone missing.
(b) Pulled the body out of the water.
(c) Fainted on the edge of the lake.
(d) Gone to his cabin and passed out, drunk.
14. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
15. Where does Almore watch from, as the big, blond, blue-eyed man accosts Marlowe?
(a) His porch.
(b) His car.
(c) His window.
(d) His garage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say will want to talk to Marlowe before the inquest?
2. Who does Birdie Keppel introduce herself as?
3. What is Lavery's first reaction when Marlowe says he's working for Kingsley?
4. What was the detective who Mrs. Almore's parents hired to investigate her death sent to jail for?
5. How long does Kingsley say he'll give Marlowe?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)