|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marlowe describe Adrienne Fromsett?
(a) Tall, lean, and dark-haired.
(b) Slight, small, and blonde.
(c) Short, blue-eyed, and black-haired.
(d) A hard, tough redhead.
2. Where do Marlowe and Miss Fromsett go to talk privately?
(a) Into an empty conference room.
(b) Into Kingsley's office.
(c) Into a supply room.
(d) Into a luchroom.
3. What do most of the Athletic Club members seem to do in the club library?
4. What icon does Marlowe have on the business card that he doesn't give to Adrienne Fromsett?
(a) A large eye.
(b) A tommy gun.
(c) A fingerprint.
(d) A magnifying glass.
5. Who is waiting for Marlowe in Chess's cabin?
(a) Sheriff Patton.
(b) Bill Chess.
6. Who does Birdie Keppel introduce herself as?
(a) The local bar owner and radio announcer.
(b) The local beautician and newspaper reporter.
(c) The local schoolteacher and mortician.
(d) The local nurse and medical examiner.
7. Who found Florence Almore's body?
(a) Dr. Almore.
(b) Chris Lavery.
(c) Lou Condy.
(d) Miss Fromsett.
8. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches the nearest cabin at the lake?
(a) The sound of a chainsaw.
(b) A bear somewhere in the woods.
(c) A motorboat in the water.
(d) Someone using an axe.
9. After finding the gold heart, who does Marlowe speculate killed Muriel?
(a) A man from her past.
(d) The sheriff.
10. What room does Marlowe find locked?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The den.
(c) The kitchen pantry.
(d) A closet.
11. What is the first thing Kingsley does, when he goes into his private office with Marlowe?
(a) He lights a cigar.
(b) He gets a file out of his desk drawer.
(c) He opens the safe.
(d) He takes the phone off the hook and turns off the intercom.
12. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
(a) The Central Detective Bureau.
(b) The Private Investigator's Licensing Bureau.
(c) The California Bureau of Investigation.
(d) The Bay City Petty Crimes Division.
13. What evidence does Marlowe think makes Bill unlikely to have murdered his wife?
(a) That Bill seemed willing to talk about his wife.
(b) That Bill seemed upset at his wife's death.
(c) That Bill had kept his wife's note.
(d) That Bill pointed out the body when he didn't have to.
14. Why did Lavery think about marrying Crystal Kingsley?
(a) Because she has brains.
(b) Because she has money.
(c) Because she has wild ideas.
(d) Because she has beauty.
15. What is Kingsley afraid his wife might get in trouble for?
(b) Using an assumed identity.
(c) Using drugs.
(d) Drunk driving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe see in the water that looks like underwatter flooring?
2. What does Marlowe identify as Bill's biggest problem, if he killed Muriel?
3. Where does the black Cadillac coupe come from that drives by Marlowe, as he is knocking at Lavery's door?
4. What animal does Marlowe compare the blonde at the PBX to?
5. What is Marlowe's first impression of Sheriff Patton?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)