Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is the perfume Marlowe smelled in Lavery's bedroom the same kind Miss Fromsett wears?
(a) Yes, it's a scent she wears occassionally.
(b) No, it's the scent of a different type of flower.
(c) No, it's a cheaper, synthetic scent.
(d) Yes, it's a scent she wears all the time.
2. Where did the sheriff find Muriel's anklet?
(a) In a hollowed-out book.
(b) In a box of confectioner's sugar.
(c) In a sofa cushion.
(d) In a cookie jar.
3. Degarmo asks Marlowe if someone hired him. Who?
(a) "Her" husband.
(b) "Her" parents.
(c) "Her" lawyer.
(d) "Her" boyfriend.
4. When does Lavery say he was up at Little Fawn Lake?
(a) The second week in May.
(b) The first week in May.
(c) The third week in May.
(d) The last week in April.
5. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
(a) Silver and white.
(b) Blue and green.
(c) Gray and yellow.
(d) Black and gold.
6. Who found Florence Almore's body?
(a) Lou Condy.
(b) Dr. Almore.
(c) Chris Lavery.
(d) Miss Fromsett.
7. What does Marlowe tell Birdie?
(a) Marlowe tells Birdie what happened at the lake, leaving out his profession and why he's there.
(b) Marlowe confirms that Muriel's body was discovered but will say nothing else.
(c) Marlowe tells Birdie the whole story, including why he's there and Chess's affair with Crystal.
(d) Marlowe tells Birdie nothing, saying he'll let the sheriff decide what to tell her.
8. What is the first thing Kingsley does, when he goes into his private office with Marlowe?
(a) He lights a cigar.
(b) He gets a file out of his desk drawer.
(c) He opens the safe.
(d) He takes the phone off the hook and turns off the intercom.
9. When Marlowe confronts Kingsley with the gun from Lavery's, does Kingsley recognize it?
(a) No, he can't be sure.
(b) No, he's certain he's never seen it before.
(c) Yes, he says it's his gun.
(d) Yes, he says it's his wife's gun.
10. When Marlowe returns to Lavery's house, what does he notice about the door?
(a) It's double-locked.
(b) It's got scratch marks on it.
(c) It's not quite shut.
(d) It's been forced open.
11. Who is waiting for Marlowe in Chess's cabin?
(b) Sheriff Patton.
(d) Bill Chess.
12. What does Marlowe find out about De Soto when he calls the police department?
(a) There's no one named De Soto at the department.
(b) De Soto is retired.
(c) De Soto is dead.
(d) De Soto has been arrested.
13. What does the guard at Puma Lake dam have Marlowe do before driving over?
(a) Pay an impromptu toll.
(b) Present his identification.
(c) Roll up his windows.
(d) Take a sobriety test.
14. What jewelry does Adrienne Fromsett wear?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) Diamond earrings.
(c) A platinum ring.
(d) A linked bracelet.
15. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches the nearest cabin at the lake?
(a) Someone using an axe.
(b) The sound of a chainsaw.
(c) A motorboat in the water.
(d) A bear somewhere in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How well does Miss Fromsett say she knew Mrs. Almore?
2. Who does Marlowe suggest to Miss Fromsett might have killed Lavery, aside from Mrs. Kingsley?
3. How long does Kingsley say he'll give Marlowe?
4. Who does Birdie Keppel introduce herself as?
5. Where do Marlowe and Miss Fromsett go to talk privately?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)