|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
2. What clue does Marlowe see that Lavery was up at Little Fawn Lake?
(a) A spray of dogwood.
(b) A spray of manzanita.
(c) An arrangement of pine cones.
(d) An arrangement of lilac.
3. What does Degarmo accuse Marlowe of?
(b) Casing Almore's house.
(c) Being a public nuissance.
(d) Casing Lavery's house.
4. What car does Lavery drive?
(a) A sleek, black two-seater.
(b) A green sedan.
(c) A red sports car.
(d) A blue convertable.
5. Where did the sheriff find Muriel's anklet?
(a) In a box of confectioner's sugar.
(b) In a sofa cushion.
(c) In a cookie jar.
(d) In a hollowed-out book.
6. What name does Marlowe give the woman he meets in Lavery's house?
(a) Paulo Nuncio.
(b) Phillip Marlowe.
(c) Perry Martin.
(d) Philo Vance.
7. What does Kingsley tell Marlowe, when Marlowe asks if Mrs. Kingsley has a gun?
(a) No, she does not have a gun.
(b) Yes, she has a target pistol.
(c) He refuses to say.
(d) Yes, she has a small automatic.
8. Why does Marlowe think Almore won't tell him anything about Lavery?
(a) Because Almore seems nervous.
(b) Because of Almore's face.
(c) Because that's what Marlowe's luck is like.
(d) Because Almore is a doctor.
9. How does Marlowe see Almore telephoning?
(a) Marlowe takes out a pair of binoculars to look through a crack in the curtains.
(b) Almore takes his telephone out on the back porch.
(c) Marlowe sneaks up to the house and looks through the window.
(d) Almore has opened his window curtains.
10. What is Miss Fromsett's alibi for Lavery's murder?
(a) She was at the office.
(b) She was at a drug store.
(c) She was at a restaurant.
(d) She was at a beauty salon.
11. Who found Florence Almore's body?
(a) Lou Condy.
(b) Miss Fromsett.
(c) Chris Lavery.
(d) Dr. Almore.
12. When Kingsley leaves his office, where does he tell Miss Fromsett he is going?
(a) To get his hair cut.
(c) To get a newspaper.
(d) To buy cigarettes.
13. Where do Marlowe and Miss Fromsett go to talk privately?
(a) Into a luchroom.
(b) Into a supply room.
(c) Into an empty conference room.
(d) Into Kingsley's office.
14. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
15. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
(a) The Private Investigator's Licensing Bureau.
(b) The California Bureau of Investigation.
(c) The Bay City Petty Crimes Division.
(d) The Central Detective Bureau.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Kingsley say he'll give Marlowe?
2. What icon does Marlowe have on the business card that he doesn't give to Adrienne Fromsett?
3. What room does Marlowe find locked?
4. Where does the black Cadillac coupe come from that drives by Marlowe, as he is knocking at Lavery's door?
5. Who does Birdie say came to town looking for someone who might have been Muriel Chess?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)