Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Birdie Keppel introduce herself as?
(a) The local beautician and newspaper reporter.
(b) The local nurse and medical examiner.
(c) The local schoolteacher and mortician.
(d) The local bar owner and radio announcer.
2. How does Marlowe describe Adrienne Fromsett?
(a) Tall, lean, and dark-haired.
(b) Slight, small, and blonde.
(c) A hard, tough redhead.
(d) Short, blue-eyed, and black-haired.
3. Who does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say will want to talk to Marlowe before the inquest?
(a) The San Bernardino Coroner.
(b) The San Bernardino County Sheriff.
(c) The San Bernardino District Attorney.
(d) The San Bernardino Police Department.
4. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
(a) Reproductions of classical paintings.
(b) Botanical prints of local plants.
(c) A set of war maps.
(d) Photographs of Bill's family.
5. What does Derace Kingsley's company make?
(a) Beauty products.
(b) Automotive products.
(c) Cloth and yarn.
(d) Bottles and packaging.
6. What do most of the Athletic Club members seem to do in the club library?
7. What does Marlowe tell Birdie?
(a) Marlowe tells Birdie what happened at the lake, leaving out his profession and why he's there.
(b) Marlowe tells Birdie the whole story, including why he's there and Chess's affair with Crystal.
(c) Marlowe confirms that Muriel's body was discovered but will say nothing else.
(d) Marlowe tells Birdie nothing, saying he'll let the sheriff decide what to tell her.
8. What floor is Marlowe's room on, at the Prescott Hotel?
(a) The second floor.
(b) The sixth floor.
(c) The fourh floor.
(d) The eighth floor.
9. What name does Marlowe give the woman he meets in Lavery's house?
(a) Phillip Marlowe.
(b) Philo Vance.
(c) Perry Martin.
(d) Paulo Nuncio.
10. What does Marlowe say he's come to see Lavery about?
(a) A bank loan.
(b) His stock portfolio.
(c) The purchase of some jewelry.
(d) His car payments.
11. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
(a) The Private Investigator's Licensing Bureau.
(b) The Bay City Petty Crimes Division.
(c) The Central Detective Bureau.
(d) The California Bureau of Investigation.
12. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
13. What does Marlowe tell Kingsley that he'll have to do?
(a) Drop the case.
(b) Investigate Muriel Chess's death.
(c) Explain why he's there and testify at an inquest.
(d) Stay in the mountain town at least a week.
14. What does Marlowe ask the Prescott Hotel bellhop to bring?
(a) Ginger ale, glasses, and ice.
(b) The hotel register.
(c) Extra blankets.
(d) A steak dinner and beer.
15. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches the nearest cabin at the lake?
(a) Someone using an axe.
(b) A motorboat in the water.
(c) The sound of a chainsaw.
(d) A bear somewhere in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marlowe see Almore telephoning?
2. What building is Derace Kingsley's office in?
3. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
4. What is Lavery's arm like when Marlowe pulls at it?
5. When Marlowe returns to Lavery's house, what does he notice about the door?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)