|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe find in Muriel Chess's bedroom that he thinks she wouldn't have left behind?
(a) A fashionable new hat.
(b) A silk slip.
(c) An expensive necklace.
(d) A tailored suit.
2. When was the party that Kingsley's wife was supposed to go to, but that she never showed up for?
(a) June 12.
(b) July 14.
(c) May 30.
(d) July 1.
3. What room does Marlowe find locked?
(a) The den.
(b) A closet.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) The kitchen pantry.
4. Did anyone tell Muriel about the man who was possibly looking for her, according to Birdie?
(a) Jim Patton did.
(b) Birdie did.
(c) No one Birdie knows of did.
(d) Bill Chess did.
5. What is Marlowe's first impression of Sheriff Patton?
(a) He doesn't know what to make of the sheriff.
(b) He is antagonistic toward the sheriff.
(c) He likes the sheriff.
(d) He distrusts the sheriff.
6. When Marlowe returns to the lake with the police, what has Bill Chess done?
(a) Gone to his cabin and passed out, drunk.
(b) Gone missing.
(c) Pulled the body out of the water.
(d) Fainted on the edge of the lake.
7. Who does Birdie Keppel introduce herself as?
(a) The local beautician and newspaper reporter.
(b) The local schoolteacher and mortician.
(c) The local bar owner and radio announcer.
(d) The local nurse and medical examiner.
8. How does Marlowe open the window of Bill Chess's cabin?
(a) With a knife.
(b) With a lockpick.
(c) With his fist.
(d) With a rock.
9. Why did Lavery think about marrying Crystal Kingsley?
(a) Because she has brains.
(b) Because she has wild ideas.
(c) Because she has beauty.
(d) Because she has money.
10. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
(a) Reproductions of classical paintings.
(b) Botanical prints of local plants.
(c) Photographs of Bill's family.
(d) A set of war maps.
11. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
(a) Black and gold.
(b) Blue and green.
(c) Silver and white.
(d) Gray and yellow.
12. How far behind in his rent does the woman say Lavery is?
(a) Four months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Five months.
13. What reason does Lavery give that Crystal Kingsley might have wanted to get back at him?
(a) He fought with her, and they broke up.
(b) He stole money from her.
(c) She saw him with someone else.
(d) He stood her up.
14. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
(a) He doesn't want his own fingerprints on it.
(b) He doesn't want any fingerprints on it.
(c) He doesn't want Kingsley's fingerprints on it.
(d) He doesn't want the murderer's fingerprints on it.
15. Degarmo asks Marlowe if someone hired him. Who?
(a) "Her" lawyer.
(b) "Her" boyfriend.
(c) "Her" parents.
(d) "Her" husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Miss Fromsett's alibi for Lavery's murder?
2. What does Marlowe identify as Bill's biggest problem, if he killed Muriel?
3. What reason doe Bill Chess at first assume Marlowe might want to look at the cabin?
4. What icon does Marlowe have on the business card that he doesn't give to Adrienne Fromsett?
5. What does Lavery tell Marlowe about Crystal Kingsley?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)