|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the initials on the handkerchief Marlowe finds in Lavery's room?
2. What does Marlowe tell Birdie?
(a) Marlowe tells Birdie nothing, saying he'll let the sheriff decide what to tell her.
(b) Marlowe tells Birdie the whole story, including why he's there and Chess's affair with Crystal.
(c) Marlowe confirms that Muriel's body was discovered but will say nothing else.
(d) Marlowe tells Birdie what happened at the lake, leaving out his profession and why he's there.
3. Is the perfume Marlowe smelled in Lavery's bedroom the same kind Miss Fromsett wears?
(a) Yes, it's a scent she wears all the time.
(b) No, it's the scent of a different type of flower.
(c) Yes, it's a scent she wears occassionally.
(d) No, it's a cheaper, synthetic scent.
4. What clue does Marlowe see that Lavery was up at Little Fawn Lake?
(a) A spray of manzanita.
(b) An arrangement of lilac.
(c) A spray of dogwood.
(d) An arrangement of pine cones.
5. Who does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say will want to talk to Marlowe before the inquest?
(a) The San Bernardino County Sheriff.
(b) The San Bernardino Coroner.
(c) The San Bernardino Police Department.
(d) The San Bernardino District Attorney.
6. Where does the Prescott Hotel bellhop say he's from?
(a) Amarillo, Texas.
(b) Rock Cove, Maine.
(c) Portland, Oregon.
(d) Short Springs, Kentucky.
7. Why does Marlowe think Almore won't tell him anything about Lavery?
(a) Because Almore seems nervous.
(b) Because of Almore's face.
(c) Because that's what Marlowe's luck is like.
(d) Because Almore is a doctor.
8. What stops Marlowe from leaving, when he reaches down to turn on his ignition?
(a) Lavery comes out of his house.
(b) A woman walks up the street.
(c) Almore comes out of his house.
(d) Marlowe's car doesn't start.
9. What is the woman Marlowe meets at Lavery's house holding?
(a) A chain.
(b) A knife.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A gun.
10. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
(a) A note of introduction to the cabin caretaker.
(b) A request for information to the police.
(c) A selection of photographs of his wife.
(d) A written outline of the terms of their agreement.
11. How much money does Marlowe ask for as a retainer?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) A hundred dollars.
(d) A hundred and fifty dollars.
12. How much did Marlowe overpay for his phone call?
(a) Five cents.
(b) Fifteen cents.
(c) Ten cents.
(d) Twenty cents.
13. What color is the lobby of the building Phillip Marlowe goes to at the beginning of the first chapter?
(a) Silver and white.
(b) Gray and yellow.
(c) Blue and green.
(d) Black and gold.
14. When was the party that Kingsley's wife was supposed to go to, but that she never showed up for?
(a) July 14.
(b) June 12.
(c) May 30.
(d) July 1.
15. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
Short Answer Questions
1. What building is Derace Kingsley's office in?
2. Did anyone tell Muriel about the man who was possibly looking for her, according to Birdie?
3. What is Lavery's arm like when Marlowe pulls at it?
4. What do most of the Athletic Club members seem to do in the club library?
5. What does Marlowe identify as Bill's biggest problem, if he killed Muriel?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)