|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe ask the Prescott Hotel bellhop to bring?
(a) Extra blankets.
(b) The hotel register.
(c) Ginger ale, glasses, and ice.
(d) A steak dinner and beer.
2. Did anyone tell Muriel about the man who was possibly looking for her, according to Birdie?
(a) Birdie did.
(b) No one Birdie knows of did.
(c) Jim Patton did.
(d) Bill Chess did.
3. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
(a) Reproductions of classical paintings.
(b) Botanical prints of local plants.
(c) A set of war maps.
(d) Photographs of Bill's family.
4. What is Kingsley afraid his wife might get in trouble for?
(a) Drunk driving.
(c) Using drugs.
(d) Using an assumed identity.
5. What does Bill Chess throw in the water to recover the body?
(a) A tree branch.
(b) A large stone.
(c) A plank of wood.
(d) A metal pipe.
6. What clue does Marlowe see that Lavery was up at Little Fawn Lake?
(a) An arrangement of lilac.
(b) An arrangement of pine cones.
(c) A spray of dogwood.
(d) A spray of manzanita.
7. What does Derace Kingsley's company make?
(a) Automotive products.
(b) Cloth and yarn.
(c) Beauty products.
(d) Bottles and packaging.
8. What reason does Lavery give that Crystal Kingsley might have wanted to get back at him?
(a) She saw him with someone else.
(b) He stood her up.
(c) He stole money from her.
(d) He fought with her, and they broke up.
9. Is the Prescott Hotel bellhop able to identify Crystal Kingsley from Marlowe's photograph?
(a) No, he says blondes of that type all look similar.
(b) Yes, he identifies her immediately.
(c) Yes, after a minute, he identifies her.
(d) No, he says she didn't look like the photograph.
10. What does Marlowe find in Muriel Chess's bedroom that he thinks she wouldn't have left behind?
(a) A fashionable new hat.
(b) A silk slip.
(c) A tailored suit.
(d) An expensive necklace.
11. Who is waiting for Marlowe in Chess's cabin?
(a) Sheriff Patton.
(d) Bill Chess.
12. What does Marlowe ask about that makes Bill Chess get defensive?
(a) Whether Kingsley comes up often.
(b) Whether the beds are comfortable.
(c) Whether Chess has lived there long.
(d) Whether there is central heating.
13. Why does Marlowe think Almore won't tell him anything about Lavery?
(a) Because Almore is a doctor.
(b) Because that's what Marlowe's luck is like.
(c) Because Almore seems nervous.
(d) Because of Almore's face.
14. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
(a) The Central Detective Bureau.
(b) The California Bureau of Investigation.
(c) The Bay City Petty Crimes Division.
(d) The Private Investigator's Licensing Bureau.
15. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Crystal Kingsley's car discovered?
2. What building is Derace Kingsley's office in?
3. Who does Marlowe suggest to Miss Fromsett might have killed Lavery, aside from Mrs. Kingsley?
4. What does Marlowe tell Birdie?
5. When Marlowe confronts Kingsley with the gun from Lavery's, does Kingsley recognize it?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)