|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What clue does Marlowe see that Lavery was up at Little Fawn Lake?
(a) An arrangement of lilac.
(b) An arrangement of pine cones.
(c) A spray of dogwood.
(d) A spray of manzanita.
2. What car does Lavery drive?
(a) A red sports car.
(b) A blue convertable.
(c) A green sedan.
(d) A sleek, black two-seater.
3. How well does Miss Fromsett say she knew Mrs. Almore?
(a) Not at all.
(b) Very well, they were intimate friends.
(c) Casually, having met her a couple of times.
(d) Very well as girls, but she hadn't seen her for many years.
4. What does Marlowe ask about that makes Bill Chess get defensive?
(a) Whether there is central heating.
(b) Whether the beds are comfortable.
(c) Whether Kingsley comes up often.
(d) Whether Chess has lived there long.
5. Where was Crystal Kingsley's car discovered?
(a) The Tuscany Hotel.
(b) The Prescott Hotel.
(c) The Austin Arms Resort.
(d) The Montaign Hotel.
6. What is Marlowe's first impression of Sheriff Patton?
(a) He likes the sheriff.
(b) He is antagonistic toward the sheriff.
(c) He doesn't know what to make of the sheriff.
(d) He distrusts the sheriff.
7. What animal does Marlowe compare the blonde at the PBX to?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A leopard.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A minx.
8. What does Lavery tell Marlowe about Crystal Kingsley?
(a) He didn't go to El Paso with her and doesn't know where she is.
(b) He says he knows where she is but won't tell Marlowe.
(c) He won't tell Marlowe where she is or whether he even knows.
(d) He went to El Paso with her briefly but doesn't know where she is.
9. How many cars is the garage at Almore's house built to hold?
10. What does the guard at Puma Lake dam have Marlowe do before driving over?
(a) Roll up his windows.
(b) Present his identification.
(c) Pay an impromptu toll.
(d) Take a sobriety test.
11. Where do Marlowe and Miss Fromsett go to talk privately?
(a) Into an empty conference room.
(b) Into a luchroom.
(c) Into a supply room.
(d) Into Kingsley's office.
12. Why did Lavery think about marrying Crystal Kingsley?
(a) Because she has brains.
(b) Because she has beauty.
(c) Because she has wild ideas.
(d) Because she has money.
13. When Marlowe gets home, what does he dream about?
(a) Being alone in the woods with a deer.
(b) Being in Sheriff Patton's jail.
(c) Being underwater with the corpse.
(d) Being stuck in a hot room with the bellhop.
14. What does Marlowe find out about De Soto when he calls the police department?
(a) De Soto is retired.
(b) De Soto is dead.
(c) There's no one named De Soto at the department.
(d) De Soto has been arrested.
15. Why does Marlowe think Almore won't tell him anything about Lavery?
(a) Because of Almore's face.
(b) Because Almore is a doctor.
(c) Because that's what Marlowe's luck is like.
(d) Because Almore seems nervous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marlowe wipe the gun down with a handkerchief?
2. When Marlowe returns to Lavery's house, what does he notice about the door?
3. What does Marlowe tell Birdie?
4. How much money does Marlowe ask for as a retainer?
5. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)