|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the walls of Bill Chess's bedroom?
(a) Reproductions of classical paintings.
(b) A set of war maps.
(c) Photographs of Bill's family.
(d) Botanical prints of local plants.
2. What does Degarmo accuse Marlowe of?
(a) Being a public nuissance.
(b) Casing Almore's house.
(d) Casing Lavery's house.
3. What does the sheriff imply about Bill's note from Muriel?
(a) That it might be intended to deceive him.
(b) That she might have written it long ago, the last time she left him.
(c) That it might be forged by Bill.
(d) That it might have been written after she disappeared.
4. How far behind in his rent does the woman say Lavery is?
(a) Two months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Four months.
(d) Three months.
5. What reason doe Bill Chess at first assume Marlowe might want to look at the cabin?
(a) Because he might be interested in architecture.
(b) Because he might find a clue to Crystal Kingsley's whereabouts.
(c) Because he might want to buy it.
(d) Because he might be an inspector.
6. What does the guard at Puma Lake dam have Marlowe do before driving over?
(a) Roll up his windows.
(b) Present his identification.
(c) Pay an impromptu toll.
(d) Take a sobriety test.
7. Where did the sheriff find Muriel's anklet?
(a) In a box of confectioner's sugar.
(b) In a cookie jar.
(c) In a hollowed-out book.
(d) In a sofa cushion.
8. How much did Marlowe overpay for his phone call?
(a) Fifteen cents.
(b) Twenty cents.
(c) Five cents.
(d) Ten cents.
9. What is the woman Marlowe meets at Lavery's house holding?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A knife.
(c) A gun.
(d) A chain.
10. What does Kingsley tell Marlowe, when Marlowe asks if Mrs. Kingsley has a gun?
(a) No, she does not have a gun.
(b) Yes, she has a target pistol.
(c) He refuses to say.
(d) Yes, she has a small automatic.
11. How long does Kingsley say he'll give Marlowe?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) Two minutes.
(c) Three minutes.
(d) Four minutes.
12. Where does Miss Fromsett say she'll look for the name of Mrs. Almore's parents?
(a) In the death records at the town hall.
(b) In the funeral records at the local churches.
(c) In a death notice in the LA papers.
(d) In the marriage registry at the town hall.
13. What does Marlowe find in Muriel Chess's bedroom that he thinks she wouldn't have left behind?
(a) A silk slip.
(b) A tailored suit.
(c) An expensive necklace.
(d) A fashionable new hat.
14. What color are the drapes and carpet in Kingsley's private office?
15. What car does Lavery drive?
(a) A sleek, black two-seater.
(b) A blue convertable.
(c) A green sedan.
(d) A red sports car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting for Marlowe in Chess's cabin?
2. What is on the mirror-topped table in Lavery's bedroom?
3. What does Marlowe tell Kingsley that he'll have to do?
4. What condition is the Kingsleys' cabin in?
5. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)