|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
(a) A request for information to the police.
(b) A selection of photographs of his wife.
(c) A written outline of the terms of their agreement.
(d) A note of introduction to the cabin caretaker.
2. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley, before explaining what he's discovered?
(a) Whether he wants to hear the bad news.
(b) Whether he's ready.
(c) Whether he's sitting down.
(d) Whether he's alone.
3. What does Marlowe ask about that makes Bill Chess get defensive?
(a) Whether there is central heating.
(b) Whether Chess has lived there long.
(c) Whether the beds are comfortable.
(d) Whether Kingsley comes up often.
4. Where does the Prescott Hotel bellhop say he's from?
(a) Amarillo, Texas.
(b) Short Springs, Kentucky.
(c) Rock Cove, Maine.
(d) Portland, Oregon.
5. What are the initials on the handkerchief Marlowe finds in Lavery's room?
6. What reason doe Bill Chess at first assume Marlowe might want to look at the cabin?
(a) Because he might find a clue to Crystal Kingsley's whereabouts.
(b) Because he might want to buy it.
(c) Because he might be an inspector.
(d) Because he might be interested in architecture.
7. What does Bill Chess throw in the water to recover the body?
(a) A tree branch.
(b) A metal pipe.
(c) A large stone.
(d) A plank of wood.
8. What does Marlowe identify as Bill's biggest problem, if he killed Muriel?
(a) Getting rid of any blood evidence in the house.
(b) Explaining Muriel's disappearance to her friends.
(c) Getting rid of Muriel's car.
(d) Getting rid of Muriel's clothes.
9. What does Marlowe find out about De Soto when he calls the police department?
(a) De Soto is dead.
(b) There's no one named De Soto at the department.
(c) De Soto has been arrested.
(d) De Soto is retired.
10. What does the guard at Puma Lake dam have Marlowe do before driving over?
(a) Roll up his windows.
(b) Pay an impromptu toll.
(c) Present his identification.
(d) Take a sobriety test.
11. Degarmo asks Marlowe if someone hired him. Who?
(a) "Her" lawyer.
(b) "Her" parents.
(c) "Her" husband.
(d) "Her" boyfriend.
12. What does Marlowe hear as he approaches the nearest cabin at the lake?
(a) A bear somewhere in the woods.
(b) The sound of a chainsaw.
(c) A motorboat in the water.
(d) Someone using an axe.
13. What reason does Lavery give that Crystal Kingsley might have wanted to get back at him?
(a) He stole money from her.
(b) He fought with her, and they broke up.
(c) She saw him with someone else.
(d) He stood her up.
14. What is Kingsley afraid his wife might get in trouble for?
(a) Using an assumed identity.
(b) Using drugs.
(c) Drunk driving.
15. What is the first thing Kingsley does, when he goes into his private office with Marlowe?
(a) He opens the safe.
(b) He gets a file out of his desk drawer.
(c) He lights a cigar.
(d) He takes the phone off the hook and turns off the intercom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marlowe see Almore telephoning?
2. Where was Crystal Kingsley's car discovered?
3. When Marlowe returns to the lake with the police, what has Bill Chess done?
4. What jarring action does Lavery take before Marlowe leaves?
5. Where does the police lieutenant who comes to see Marlowe say he's from?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)