|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What floor is Marlowe's room on, at the Prescott Hotel?
(a) The second floor.
(b) The eighth floor.
(c) The sixth floor.
(d) The fourh floor.
2. What are the initials on the handkerchief Marlowe finds in Lavery's room?
3. What evidence does Marlowe think makes Bill unlikely to have murdered his wife?
(a) That Bill seemed upset at his wife's death.
(b) That Bill pointed out the body when he didn't have to.
(c) That Bill seemed willing to talk about his wife.
(d) That Bill had kept his wife's note.
4. How does Marlowe see Almore telephoning?
(a) Almore takes his telephone out on the back porch.
(b) Almore has opened his window curtains.
(c) Marlowe takes out a pair of binoculars to look through a crack in the curtains.
(d) Marlowe sneaks up to the house and looks through the window.
5. What does Marlowe say he's come to see Lavery about?
(a) The purchase of some jewelry.
(b) His car payments.
(c) His stock portfolio.
(d) A bank loan.
6. Where does the Prescott Hotel bellhop say he's from?
(a) Short Springs, Kentucky.
(b) Portland, Oregon.
(c) Rock Cove, Maine.
(d) Amarillo, Texas.
7. What is the first thing Kingsley does, when he goes into his private office with Marlowe?
(a) He takes the phone off the hook and turns off the intercom.
(b) He opens the safe.
(c) He lights a cigar.
(d) He gets a file out of his desk drawer.
8. What does the guard at Puma Lake dam have Marlowe do before driving over?
(a) Pay an impromptu toll.
(b) Take a sobriety test.
(c) Present his identification.
(d) Roll up his windows.
9. What room does Marlowe find locked?
(a) The kitchen pantry.
(b) The den.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) A closet.
10. What does Derace Kingsley's company make?
(a) Bottles and packaging.
(b) Cloth and yarn.
(c) Automotive products.
(d) Beauty products.
11. What does Marlowe ask Kingsley for?
(a) A request for information to the police.
(b) A note of introduction to the cabin caretaker.
(c) A written outline of the terms of their agreement.
(d) A selection of photographs of his wife.
12. How far behind in his rent does the woman say Lavery is?
(a) Three months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Four months.
(d) Two months.
13. When was the party that Kingsley's wife was supposed to go to, but that she never showed up for?
(a) June 12.
(b) July 1.
(c) July 14.
(d) May 30.
14. Why does Marlowe decide that Almore must know Lavery?
(a) Because their houses look so similar to each other.
(b) Because of how Almore looks at him.
(c) Because he sees a note from Almore in Lavery's house.
(d) Because they have the only two houses on the block.
15. When Kingsley leaves his office, where does he tell Miss Fromsett he is going?
(b) To get a newspaper.
(c) To buy cigarettes.
(d) To get his hair cut.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Kingsley say he'll give Marlowe?
2. How many bullet holes are there in Lavery's chest?
3. What is Lavery's first reaction when Marlowe says he's working for Kingsley?
4. Where did the sheriff find Muriel's anklet?
5. What is the first thing Marlowe sees of the woman at Lavery's house?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)