|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What economic goal did the Revolution have?
2. Why was unemployment high in Mexico at the time that Paz was writing?
3. When Paz sees that Mexicans return to their tradition, what do they remember?
4. When did the Plan of Ayala go into effect?
5. Why were the Indians not outraged that their religions were replaced with Catholicism? (Chapter Five).
Essay Topic 1
Who is the Chingada? What roots does she have in Aztec religion and history? Like her opposite, the Virgin of Guadalupe, is redemption possible?
Essay Topic 2
What are the gender roles explained throughout the book? Given the culture and the time, what are the gender expectations? Who acts against those expectations?
Essay Topic 3
"Man is alone everywhere. But the solitude of the Mexican, under the great stone night of the high plateau that is still inhabited by insatiable gods, is very different from that of the North American, who wanders in an abstract world of machines, fellow citizens and moral precepts" (Chapter One, pg 20). What does that mean? Is it true?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)