|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the value of Sor Juana's poem, "First Dream"?
2. What was the motto of positivism?
3. What does Paz mean by the word, "community"?
4. How did the Aztecs' final struggle manifest itself?
5. Who were the last people to enter the Valley of Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mexico has entered a new phase of thinking and history. How does Paz explain that phase?
2. What is the role of the Mexican intelligentsia within society? How does it differ from the function of the intelligentsia within the United States and Europe; and which one is a better role?
3. What role did Jose Vasconcelos play in modern education? From Paz's descriptions, what is his opinion of Vasconcelos?
4. How does Paz define "Mexicanism"? How does it mesh with the individual whom he had described earlier?
5. Why did the new Constitution mandate that education be secular? How might that have made the Mexicans feel?
6. When did Independence begin in Mexico? How was it similar to or different from the Conquest?
7. What is Paz's definition of "community"? How is that definition knowingly idealistic?
8. Paz asserts that every revolution attempts to restore the order that an oppressor has twisted or disregarded altogether. How was that true in Mexico?
9. What did Article 3 of the new Constitution mandate? What troubles did that Article cause?
10. How was the Revolution similar to a fiesta? Because of any existing similarity, why do the people cling to that time in history? Can that be considered healthy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In modern Mexico, what are the contrasting ways of thinking (pg 119-20)? In that context, is Spanish heritage good? How do those two mindsets continue to influence current politics and thought?
Essay Topic 2
When does a Mexican come into conflict with his fellow man, especially another Mexican? What are the facets of the clash? How is it resolved?
Essay Topic 3
What dualities did Sor Juana represent (philosophical, religious, gender-based)? What lasting influence did she have?
This section contains 1,701 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)