Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What economic goal did the Revolution have?
2. Why was unemployment high in Mexico at the time that Paz was writing?
3. When Paz sees that Mexicans return to their tradition, what do they remember?
4. When did the Plan of Ayala go into effect?
5. Why were the Indians not outraged that their religions were replaced with Catholicism? (Chapter Five).
Essay Topic 1
"Man is alone everywhere. But the solitude of the Mexican, under the great stone night of the high plateau that is still inhabited by insatiable gods, is very different from that of the North American, who wanders in an abstract world of machines, fellow citizens and moral precepts" (Chapter One, pg 20). What does that mean? Is it true?
Essay Topic 2
Find the deaths that are mentioned in the book. According to the Mexican criterion for a worthy death - the death suits the life - how many of those people died a worthy death? How many of them died a death that did not suit their lives?
Essay Topic 3
In Paz's arguments, how important is the Mexican sense of place? What affects it? What is its most important aspect? Explain the sense of place in the greater context of the Mexican mindset that Paz presents throughout the book.
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)