|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was unemployment high in Mexico at the time that Paz was writing?
2. How does the Indian perceive salvation? (Chapter Five).
3. Why did the Spaniards not exterminate the Indians after they were conquered?
4. Who was Emiliano Zapata?
5. When did Spain begin to lose her hold on Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Catholicism reduce the Indian converts into passive believers? How was that a significant blow?
2. How does unemployment on the farms affect the cities? How does it slow all of Mexico's development?
3. How does Paz explain the suicides of the Aztec people? Is it a reasonable explanation?
4. Why did the new Constitution mandate that education be secular? How might that have made the Mexicans feel?
5. Why was the Aztec nation able to unify so many diverse tribes? How were they quite skilled with that type of action?
6. What is Paz's definition of "community"? How is that definition knowingly idealistic?
7. What did Article 3 of the new Constitution mandate? What troubles did that Article cause?
8. How does Paz define "Mexicanism"? How does it mesh with the individual whom he had described earlier?
9. What role did Jose Vasconcelos play in modern education? From Paz's descriptions, what is his opinion of Vasconcelos?
10. What role did religion play in ancient South American cultures? Did Catholicism change that role?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Find the deaths that are mentioned in the book. According to the Mexican criterion for a worthy death - the death suits the life - how many of those people died a worthy death? How many of them died a death that did not suit their lives?
Essay Topic 2
What are the varieties of chingar that the author explains? Does that help your comprehension of the word? Does it enrich your understanding of Mexican culture?
Essay Topic 3
Spain accepted all forms of the Renaissance and then closed itself off to further influence. How did that affect the Conquest? How does that continue to affect Mexico's philosophical and religious development?
This section contains 1,777 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)