|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most radical period of the Revolution?
2. According to Paz, why did the Revolution become a compromise?
3. What was the Mexican intellectual's goal?
4. According to Jorge Cuesta, how has Mexico created herself?
5. Why have Mexican culture and politics vacillated from one extreme to another? (Chapter Seven, page 157).
Essay Topic 1
What connections exist between love and solitude? What dangers exist within them? How does the Mexican break through the bonds of both? Clearly address and explain Paz's arguments, especially toward the end of the book.
Essay Topic 2
"Catholicism offered a refuge to the descendants of those who had seen the extermination of their ruling classes, the destruction of their temples and manuscripts, and the suppression of the superior forms of their culture; but for the same reason that it was decadent in Europe, it denied them any chance of expressing their singularity" (Chapter Five, pg 105). What does that mean? How does it fit in with the idea of conquered peoples being assigned a passive role?
Essay Topic 3
When does a Mexican come into conflict with his fellow man, especially another Mexican? What are the facets of the clash? How is it resolved?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)