|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Plan of Ayala go into effect?
2. What did Moctezuma think as the Spaniards approached?
3. How did the Revolution relate to reality?
4. Which of the following created the Spanish monarchy?
5. Why is a study of colonialism important in understanding Mexican history?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paz's definition of "community"? How is that definition knowingly idealistic?
2. Throughout his career, what did Jorge Cuesta argue? What are the benefits and downfalls of his argument?
3. What role did Jose Vasconcelos play in modern education? From Paz's descriptions, what is his opinion of Vasconcelos?
4. Mexico has entered a new phase of thinking and history. How does Paz explain that phase?
5. How does Paz explain the suicides of the Aztec people? Is it a reasonable explanation?
6. How was the Revolution similar to a fiesta? Because of any existing similarity, why do the people cling to that time in history? Can that be considered healthy?
7. Why did the new Constitution mandate that education be secular? How might that have made the Mexicans feel?
8. Why could Mexico not have progressed as far as she has today if she were working within capitalism?
9. What is the role of the Mexican intelligentsia within society? How does it differ from the function of the intelligentsia within the United States and Europe; and which one is a better role?
10. How does Paz define "Mexicanism"? How does it mesh with the individual whom he had described earlier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use this quote as the foundation for your essay: "We have been expelled from the center of the world, and are condemned to search for it through jungles and deserts or in the underground mazes of the labyrinth.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the Chingada? What roots does she have in Aztec religion and history? Like her opposite, the Virgin of Guadalupe, is redemption possible?
Essay Topic 3
"Catholicism offered a refuge to the descendants of those who had seen the extermination of their ruling classes, the destruction of their temples and manuscripts, and the suppression of the superior forms of their culture; but for the same reason that it was decadent in Europe, it denied them any chance of expressing their singularity" (Chapter Five, pg 105). What does that mean? How does it fit in with the idea of conquered peoples being assigned a passive role?
This section contains 1,934 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)