|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paz, what philosophical fact defines much of Mexico's history?
2. Why was Diaz's regime in a precarious position regarding positivist philosophy?
3. Why was unemployment high in Mexico at the time that Paz was writing?
4. Whom did Paz call the "guardian of freedom and traitor to his country"? (Chapter Six, page 125).
5. According to Trotsky, what should happen if the Revolution does not break out in advanced nations following World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Catholicism play in the lives of the conquering Spaniards? Was that role contradictory?
2. Why could Mexico not have progressed as far as she has today if she were working within capitalism?
3. How does unemployment on the farms affect the cities? How does it slow all of Mexico's development?
4. Paz asserts that every revolution attempts to restore the order that an oppressor has twisted or disregarded altogether. How was that true in Mexico?
5. Throughout his career, what did Jorge Cuesta argue? What are the benefits and downfalls of his argument?
6. What role did religion play in ancient South American cultures? Did Catholicism change that role?
7. Pulling from the ideas of Jose Gaos, Paz, speaks of the physical duality in Mexico. What does that mean? What significance does that idea have?
8. How does Paz define "Mexicanism"? How does it mesh with the individual whom he had described earlier?
9. What does Paz say about the national differences among Central and South American nations? How does that tie into their relationship with Spain?
10. What did Article 3 of the new Constitution mandate? What troubles did that Article cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the varieties of chingar that the author explains? Does that help your comprehension of the word? Does it enrich your understanding of Mexican culture?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the organization of the book. How is the material organized? What are the chapter titles? Do the titles prepare you for the material presented?
Essay Topic 3
Find the deaths that are mentioned in the book. According to the Mexican criterion for a worthy death - the death suits the life - how many of those people died a worthy death? How many of them died a death that did not suit their lives?
This section contains 1,849 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)