|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the last people to enter the Valley of Mexico?
2. What economic goal did the Revolution have?
3. How did the Reform want to justify itself?
4. What is one factor that drives world markets?
5. According to Paz, who is most fascinated by death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the Mexican intelligentsia within society? How does it differ from the function of the intelligentsia within the United States and Europe; and which one is a better role?
2. Pulling from the ideas of Jose Gaos, Paz, speaks of the physical duality in Mexico. What does that mean? What significance does that idea have?
3. Throughout his career, what did Jorge Cuesta argue? What are the benefits and downfalls of his argument?
4. When did Independence begin in Mexico? How was it similar to or different from the Conquest?
5. Who was Sor Juana? Why was she an unusual person both in South America and in old Spain?
6. What did Article 3 of the new Constitution mandate? What troubles did that Article cause?
7. What role did Catholicism play in the lives of the conquering Spaniards? Was that role contradictory?
8. Paz asserts that every revolution attempts to restore the order that an oppressor has twisted or disregarded altogether. How was that true in Mexico?
9. Why was the Aztec nation able to unify so many diverse tribes? How were they quite skilled with that type of action?
10. What does Paz say about the national differences among Central and South American nations? How does that tie into their relationship with Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Man is alone everywhere. But the solitude of the Mexican, under the great stone night of the high plateau that is still inhabited by insatiable gods, is very different from that of the North American, who wanders in an abstract world of machines, fellow citizens and moral precepts" (Chapter One, pg 20). What does that mean? Is it true?
Essay Topic 2
Spain accepted all forms of the Renaissance and then closed itself off to further influence. How did that affect the Conquest? How does that continue to affect Mexico's philosophical and religious development?
Essay Topic 3
Use this quote as the foundation for your essay: "We have been expelled from the center of the world, and are condemned to search for it through jungles and deserts or in the underground mazes of the labyrinth.
This section contains 1,777 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)