|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Paz use to describe Mexico taking control from Spain?
2. Why is a study of colonialism important in understanding Mexican history?
3. During the Revolution, whom did the intelligentsia make the focal point of its activities?
4. What was an important element of all ancient cultures?
5. When Paz sees that Mexicans return to their tradition, what do they remember?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What personal experiences did Paz pull from to write the book? How did he incorporate them into the broader scope of Mexican history? How did that affect the tone?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the organization of the book. How is the material organized? What are the chapter titles? Do the titles prepare you for the material presented?
Essay Topic 3
"Catholicism offered a refuge to the descendants of those who had seen the extermination of their ruling classes, the destruction of their temples and manuscripts, and the suppression of the superior forms of their culture; but for the same reason that it was decadent in Europe, it denied them any chance of expressing their singularity" (Chapter Five, pg 105). What does that mean? How does it fit in with the idea of conquered peoples being assigned a passive role?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)