|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Indian perceive salvation? (Chapter Five).
2. How did the Revolution relate to reality?
3. According to the tribe of the Chamulas, what is a chulel?
4. Why was unemployment high in Mexico at the time that Paz was writing?
5. Why were the Indians not outraged that their religions were replaced with Catholicism? (Chapter Five).
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite Mexico's advancements, where does she still stand on the world spectrum? How can she change her placement?
2. How did Catholicism reduce the Indian converts into passive believers? How was that a significant blow?
3. How does Paz define "Mexicanism"? How does it mesh with the individual whom he had described earlier?
4. How does Paz explain the suicides of the Aztec people? Is it a reasonable explanation?
5. What is the role of the Mexican intelligentsia within society? How does it differ from the function of the intelligentsia within the United States and Europe; and which one is a better role?
6. What role did Catholicism play in the lives of the conquering Spaniards? Was that role contradictory?
7. What does Paz say about the national differences among Central and South American nations? How does that tie into their relationship with Spain?
8. What does Paz think of the Soviet Union? How does it compare to Mexico?
9. Why did the new Constitution mandate that education be secular? How might that have made the Mexicans feel?
10. When did Independence begin in Mexico? How was it similar to or different from the Conquest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use this quote as the foundation for your essay: "We have been expelled from the center of the world, and are condemned to search for it through jungles and deserts or in the underground mazes of the labyrinth.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the organization of the book. How is the material organized? What are the chapter titles? Do the titles prepare you for the material presented?
Essay Topic 3
Does Paz's writing style mirror the subject? When is he vociferous? When does it feel that he is holding something back?
This section contains 1,793 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)