|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was sacrificed when Porfirio Diaz took power and subdued anarchy?
2. Why did the Spaniards not exterminate the Indians after they were conquered?
3. When did Spain begin to lose her hold on Mexico?
4. Why was unemployment high in Mexico at the time that Paz was writing?
5. How did Paz see the 20th Century?
Essay Topic 1
Who is the Chingada? What roots does she have in Aztec religion and history? Like her opposite, the Virgin of Guadalupe, is redemption possible?
Essay Topic 2
"Man is alone everywhere. But the solitude of the Mexican, under the great stone night of the high plateau that is still inhabited by insatiable gods, is very different from that of the North American, who wanders in an abstract world of machines, fellow citizens and moral precepts" (Chapter One, pg 20). What does that mean? Is it true?
Essay Topic 3
What are the varieties of chingar that the author explains? Does that help your comprehension of the word? Does it enrich your understanding of Mexican culture?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)