|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Spanish view of women in contrast to the Mexican?
2. According to Paz, what is the Mexican's relationship with his fellow man?
3. In contrast to the North American, what is one of the most noticeable traits about the Mexican character?
4. Chapter Three begins with the great effect that fiestas and public celebrations have. What is this effect?
5. What masculine trait enters into the idea of feminine modesty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Mexican's ideal of manliness? How does it affect his interactions with other people?
2. What is Paz's understanding of woman? How does it fit the Mexican mindset?
3. "The pachuco has lost his whole inheritance: Language, religion, customs, and beliefs. He is left with only a body and a soul with which to confront the elements" (Chapter One, pg 15). Is that a true statement?
4. According to Alarcon, why does the liar lie to himself? Given what you know of the Mexican mindset, does that make sense?
5. What is the modern view of death? How is it dramatically different from the Aztec view?
6. Who represents the conflict that Mexicans have not been able to solve? What effect does that conflict have on their culture?
7. How does Mexico's poverty relate to the fiesta? What French interpretation did it inspire?
8. How is the modern murderer different from a murderer of the past? How has modernity contributed to that difference?
9. What group of people did the author have in mind as he wrote the book? How and why did those people become important to him?
10. What were Paz's impressions of the United States? How does that contrast with the literature being written? In your mind, what accounts for the discrepancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the organization of the book. How is the material organized? What are the chapter titles? Do the titles prepare you for the material presented?
Essay Topic 2
Spain accepted all forms of the Renaissance and then closed itself off to further influence. How did that affect the Conquest? How does that continue to affect Mexico's philosophical and religious development?
Essay Topic 3
Find the deaths that are mentioned in the book. According to the Mexican criterion for a worthy death - the death suits the life - how many of those people died a worthy death? How many of them died a death that did not suit their lives?
This section contains 1,724 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)