|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the fiesta of Grito, why do the people shout for one hour, in Paz's interpretation?
2. Paz discusses the result of persecution on the pachuco. What is that result?
3. Paz states that a Mexican utters the words that are considered most evil when which of the following occurs?
4. What happens when the Mexican dissimulates?
5. Aside from being an excess, what does the fiesta revolt against?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Mexican view of death? When does death become saddest?
2. What happens during the fiesta? What is the emotional result?
3. When does Paz say that a nation questions itself? Is it necessary?
4. What is dissimulation? How does it compare to lying? How does it affect the Mexican's idea of himself?
5. How is the modern murderer different from a murderer of the past? How has modernity contributed to that difference?
6. Why does the Mexican love Form? Other than in personal relationships, how does that idea express itself?
7. "The pachuco has lost his whole inheritance: Language, religion, customs, and beliefs. He is left with only a body and a soul with which to confront the elements" (Chapter One, pg 15). Is that a true statement?
8. What is the greatest horror that a worker suffers? Do you think that is true?
9. Who is the Chingada? What relation does she hold to every Mexican, whether male or female?
10. Who represents the conflict that Mexicans have not been able to solve? What effect does that conflict have on their culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the varieties of chingar that the author explains? Does that help your comprehension of the word? Does it enrich your understanding of Mexican culture?
Essay Topic 2
What inspired the author to write this book? What questions did he hope to answer, and did he answer them satisfactorily?
Essay Topic 3
Does Paz's writing style mirror the subject? When is he vociferous? When does it feel that he is holding something back?
This section contains 1,772 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)