|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Catholicism drastically change the Aztec view of life?
2. What familial relationship does Paz equate with solitude?
3. From what does a fiesta free the Mexican, in Paz's understanding?
4. How does Paz differentiate between views of the body in Mexico and North America?
5. What masculine trait enters into the idea of feminine modesty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does North American culture view the pachuco? Does the pachuco accept or reject that culture's perception of him?
2. Who is the Virgin of Guadalupe? How is she an important part of Mexican identity?
3. "Is death the truest kind of life" (Chapter Nine, page 196)? What does that question mean in the context of the chapter?
4. What is the Mexican view of death? When does death become saddest?
5. Why does a male child, even at a young age, identify love with taboos?
6. What is the character of the Mexican's solitude? How does it differ from the solitude of the North American?
7. Why did the new Constitution mandate that education be secular? How might that have made the Mexicans feel?
8. Women are never able to express their femininity outside the forms that men have created for them to express it. What view of womanhood does that idea present?
9. "The pachuco has lost his whole inheritance: Language, religion, customs, and beliefs. He is left with only a body and a soul with which to confront the elements" (Chapter One, pg 15). Is that a true statement?
10. How does unemployment on the farms affect the cities? How does it slow all of Mexico's development?
Essay Topic 1
"Man is alone everywhere. But the solitude of the Mexican, under the great stone night of the high plateau that is still inhabited by insatiable gods, is very different from that of the North American, who wanders in an abstract world of machines, fellow citizens and moral precepts" (Chapter One, pg 20). What does that mean? Is it true?
Essay Topic 2
In modern Mexico, what are the contrasting ways of thinking (pg 119-20)? In that context, is Spanish heritage good? How do those two mindsets continue to influence current politics and thought?
Essay Topic 3
Use this quote as the foundation for your essay: "We have been expelled from the center of the world, and are condemned to search for it through jungles and deserts or in the underground mazes of the labyrinth.
This section contains 2,263 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)