|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the fiesta of Grito, why do the people shout for one hour, in Paz's interpretation?
2. In Paz's estimation, woman is a living representation of which of the following?
3. According to Paz's argument, what is the source of the North American's irritation with the pachuco?
4. What does the Mexican value in art, religion, and politics?
5. How is the myth of the "long-suffering Mexican woman" created?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Mexican view of death? When does death become saddest?
2. What group of people did the author have in mind as he wrote the book? How and why did those people become important to him?
3. What is the origin of the pachuco? How does that characterization prepare the reader for the rest of the book?
4. In the author's parable, who is Nobody? Is it possible for Nobody to break the progression of his existence? Why or why not?
5. "The pachuco has lost his whole inheritance: Language, religion, customs, and beliefs. He is left with only a body and a soul with which to confront the elements" (Chapter One, pg 15). Is that a true statement?
6. Who is the Virgin of Guadalupe? How is she an important part of Mexican identity?
7. How does Mexico's poverty relate to the fiesta? What French interpretation did it inspire?
8. Who represents the conflict that Mexicans have not been able to solve? What effect does that conflict have on their culture?
9. How important are fiestas in Mexican culture? What relationship exists between the fiesta and the individual?
10. What is the Mexican's ideal of manliness? How does it affect his interactions with other people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Paz's writing style mirror the subject? When is he vociferous? When does it feel that he is holding something back?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the organization of the book. How is the material organized? What are the chapter titles? Do the titles prepare you for the material presented?
Essay Topic 3
When does a Mexican come into conflict with his fellow man, especially another Mexican? What are the facets of the clash? How is it resolved?
This section contains 1,869 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)