|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are a woman's instincts those of a species rather than her own?
2. In Paz's estimation, what vital word has the Mexican forgotten?
3. How are the evil words a sign and seal?
4. Above all other definitions, who is the Chingada?
5. What connotation does the verb, chingar, carry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who represents the conflict that Mexicans have not been able to solve? What effect does that conflict have on their culture?
2. What is the Mexican view of death? When does death become saddest?
3. "The pachuco has lost his whole inheritance: Language, religion, customs, and beliefs. He is left with only a body and a soul with which to confront the elements" (Chapter One, pg 15). Is that a true statement?
4. What is the Mexican's ideal of manliness? How does it affect his interactions with other people?
5. Who is the Virgin of Guadalupe? How is she an important part of Mexican identity?
6. What is the world of terrorism like? How is it different from the past world of conquest and war?
7. How important are fiestas in Mexican culture? What relationship exists between the fiesta and the individual?
8. How did the Aztecs view sin? How does that idea explain the Conquest? What enormous change did Catholicism introduce?
9. What is the modern view of death? How is it dramatically different from the Aztec view?
10. When does Paz say that a nation questions itself? Is it necessary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What dualities did Sor Juana represent (philosophical, religious, gender-based)? What lasting influence did she have?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Mexican view of privacy? Why does Paz defend it at such cost? What part does lying play in his defense? Is that accepted?
Essay Topic 3
What is Mexico's relation to the rest of the world? How is it different from the past? What are Paz's hopes and fears for the future? Do you agree or disagree with his ideas?
This section contains 1,805 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)