Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What economic goal did the Revolution have?
(a) To establish commerce and industry.
(b) To free Mexico from dependence on Spain.
(c) To improve the commerce that had already been established.
(d) To pull the nation out of poverty.
2. Why was unemployment high in Mexico at the time that Paz was writing?
(a) The economy was going through a recession.
(b) The population grew more quickly than industry.
(c) The labor unions made it difficult for workers to get jobs.
(d) The two biggest factories were experiencing lay-offs.
3. When Paz sees that Mexicans return to their tradition, what do they remember?
(a) That they are part of Spain's tradition.
(b) That their tradition is rooted in conquest and slavery.
(c) That they do not belong to a greater universal tradition.
(d) That their tradition is mostly Indian.
4. When did the Plan of Ayala go into effect?
(a) July, 1937.
(b) March, 1951.
(c) November, 1911.
(d) January, 1909.
5. Why were the Indians not outraged that their religions were replaced with Catholicism? (Chapter Five).
(a) Because they liked Catholicism better.
(b) Because they had been reconnected to the world.
(c) Because their gods had betrayed them when Cortez attacked.
(d) Because they were not very connected to their gods.
6. How did the Spanish Conquest treat religion?
(a) Spain was integrating Mesoamerican religions.
(b) Spain was defending the faith.
(c) Spain was protecting the Mesoamerican religions.
(d) The Conquest did not relate to religion.
7. In Asia and Africa, what two seemingly-contradictory ideologies are being used?
(a) Colonial past and nationalism.
(b) Revolutionary aspiration and nationalism.
(c) World power and individualism.
(d) Future dreams and individualism.
8. During the Revolution, whom did the intelligentsia make the focal point of its activities?
(a) The new poets.
(c) Their new leaders.
(d) The common people.
9. What was Vasconcelos' philosophy regarding the material world?
(a) Emotions, rather than intellect, comprehend the world and create reality.
(b) The supernatural world governs the material world.
(c) The material world cannot be understood nor explained.
(d) Intellect, rather than emotions, comprehends the world and creates reality.
10. What was one factor that guided the Revolution to prioritize tradition?
(a) The large number of supporters over the age of 50.
(b) The workers did not belong to the city or the country, and so they did not have any tradition.
(c) Its fear of the future.
(d) Its belief in the value of the past.
11. What was the most radical period of the Revolution?
(a) The three months leading up to the revolt.
(b) The Obregon Administration.
(c) The Cardenas Administration.
(d) The Calles Coup.
12. How did the Independence movement begin in South America?
(a) With a small band of determined revolutionaries.
(b) With Mexican housewives gradually overturning the governing body.
(c) Under the leadership of impassioned leader, San Martin.
(d) With simultaneous victories sweeping the continent.
13. What did Moctezuma think as the Spaniards approached?
(a) That was the time to prove his manliness.
(b) That was the moment of his deliverance.
(c) The gods had abandoned him.
(d) He would finally become Divine.
14. Why did the Spaniards not exterminate the Indians after they were conquered?
(a) Their Catholicism prevented mass slaughter.
(b) They respected the Indians.
(c) They wanted to learn from the Indians.
(d) They needed labor.
15. What does Paz mean by the word, "community"?
(a) A place of stable government and economy.
(b) A place of liberty where men recognize themselves in each other.
(c) A place of safety, especially for women and children.
(d) A gathering of people who are invested in each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Manuel Gomez-Morin accomplish for the Revolution?
2. Whom did Paz call the "guardian of freedom and traitor to his country"? (Chapter Six, page 125).
3. What is Paz's solution for the lack of capital?
4. Mexico lacks basic industries except for one - what is it?
5. Who was Emiliano Zapata?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)