|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Trotsky, what should happen if the Revolution does not break out in advanced nations following World War II?
(a) Socialism should be abandoned altogether.
(b) Socialism should be forced on those nations.
(c) The Marxist view of economics should be revised.
(d) The Marxist view of history should be revised.
2. Mexico lacks basic industries except for one - what is it?
3. What was the motto of positivism?
(a) "Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity".
(b) "Love, Order, and Progress".
(c) "Thus Shall We Live".
(d) "The Spirit Shall Speak through My Race".
4. What horror did Cortez's rule not commit?
(a) Complete annihilation of the native peoples.
(b) Raping the indigenous women.
(c) Forcing indigenous people to speak European Spanish.
(d) Denying the conquered people a place in society.
5. Why have Mexican culture and politics vacillated from one extreme to another? (Chapter Seven, page 157).
(a) Because there has never been a strong Mexican leader.
(b) Because Mexicans cannot invent their history from the beginning.
(c) Because Mexicans have difficulty synthesizing experiences.
(d) Because Mexicans deny their Spanish and Indian heritage.
6. What was the purpose of the publishing house Fondo de Cultura Economica?
(a) To print books as cheaply as possible.
(b) To act as a façade for Revolutionary pamphlets.
(c) To print texts about economics for South Americans.
(d) To print texts about Mexican life and culture.
7. Which of the following contributed to making colonialism alive and relevant?
(a) Imperial takeover.
(c) Native acceptance.
8. Why did the Spaniards not exterminate the Indians after they were conquered?
(a) They needed labor.
(b) Their Catholicism prevented mass slaughter.
(c) They wanted to learn from the Indians.
(d) They respected the Indians.
9. What has history demonstrated through certain Contra authors such as Isaac Deutscher?
(a) Once abundance is achieved, the state will become democratic.
(b) It is extremely difficult for one class to make advancements for itself.
(c) Once abundance is achieved, the state will become socialistic.
(d) No class ever voluntarily gives up its privileges.
10. What is one factor that drives world markets?
(a) The unequal distribution of raw materials.
(b) The inability of third-world markets to compete.
(c) The unchallenged advantages of advanced countries.
(d) The low cost of raw materials, and the high cost of manufactured products.
11. According to Paz, what is the "contemporary crisis"? (Chapter Seven, page 172).
(a) The difficulty of Mexico relating to the advancing western world.
(b) The crisis of self-identity sweeping South America.
(c) The struggle between two diverse cultures.
(d) A struggle within a culture that no longer has any rivals.
12. Why was unemployment high in Mexico at the time that Paz was writing?
(a) The labor unions made it difficult for workers to get jobs.
(b) The economy was going through a recession.
(c) The population grew more quickly than industry.
(d) The two biggest factories were experiencing lay-offs.
13. Why does poetry tend to eradicate history? (Chapter Seven).
(a) Because it does not understand history.
(b) Because it attempts to explicate history.
(c) Because it transcends history.
(d) Because it disdains history.
14. What is the value of Sor Juana's poem, "First Dream"?
(a) A comprehensive history of the Indians before Cortez.
(b) A penetrating analysis of the effects of European influence.
(c) A philosophical look at Catholicism.
(d) A philosophical look at the depth of reality.
15. Whom did Paz call the "guardian of freedom and traitor to his country"? (Chapter Six, page 125).
(a) Benito Juarez.
(b) Jose Maria Mora.
(d) Valentin Gomez Farias.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Paz see the 20th Century?
2. What did the Revolution force the Mexican people to do?
3. When did the Plan of Ayala go into effect?
4. What did Moctezuma think as the Spaniards approached?
5. What event precipitated Spain's complete loss of power?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)