|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Paz's solution for the lack of capital?
(a) Use human labor to the best advantage.
(b) Build better and more factories.
(c) Invest in other economies, particularly the United States.
(d) Learn to harness the raw materials.
2. On what does Paz blame "the rather zigzag progress of the state"? Chapter Eight, page 181).
(a) The difficulty of dealing with a large work force.
(b) The conflict between national capitalism and international capitalism.
(c) The necessity of making revolutionary ideals work for practical living.
(d) The struggle between capitalist ideals and socialism.
3. How did the Aztecs' final struggle manifest itself?
(a) In silence.
(b) In suicide.
(c) As the last battle.
(d) In destruction of their own property.
4. Where have the great revolutions of the 20th Century occurred?
(a) In places with little modern culture.
(b) In backward countries.
(c) In large, wealthy countries.
(d) Among indigenous tribes.
5. What was one factor that guided the Revolution to prioritize tradition?
(a) Its belief in the value of the past.
(b) The large number of supporters over the age of 50.
(c) The workers did not belong to the city or the country, and so they did not have any tradition.
(d) Its fear of the future.
6. According to Paz, what is the "contemporary crisis"? (Chapter Seven, page 172).
(a) The crisis of self-identity sweeping South America.
(b) The difficulty of Mexico relating to the advancing western world.
(c) The struggle between two diverse cultures.
(d) A struggle within a culture that no longer has any rivals.
7. According to Trotsky, what should happen if the Revolution does not break out in advanced nations following World War II?
(a) The Marxist view of history should be revised.
(b) The Marxist view of economics should be revised.
(c) Socialism should be forced on those nations.
(d) Socialism should be abandoned altogether.
8. Whom did Paz call the "guardian of freedom and traitor to his country"? (Chapter Six, page 125).
(a) Valentin Gomez Farias.
(c) Benito Juarez.
(d) Jose Maria Mora.
9. Mexico lacks basic industries except for one - what is it?
10. How did Paz see the 20th Century?
(a) A time when the common man asserted himself.
(b) A time when feudalism was finally thrown off.
(c) A time when all historical eras mingled and merged.
(d) A time when dictators took more power than ever before.
11. According to the tribe of the Chamulas, what is a chulel?
(a) The prayer of deliverance uttered by a warrior.
(b) The tribute paid to a god.
(c) A human soul residing in an animal.
(d) The imposition of Catholic beliefs over their native religion.
12. What important circumstance did early revolutionary governments not take into account?
(a) Population growth.
(b) Expansion of cities.
(c) Desertion of rural areas.
(d) Natural resources.
13. What was the purpose of the publishing house Fondo de Cultura Economica?
(a) To print books as cheaply as possible.
(b) To act as a façade for Revolutionary pamphlets.
(c) To print texts about economics for South Americans.
(d) To print texts about Mexican life and culture.
14. What has history demonstrated through certain Contra authors such as Isaac Deutscher?
(a) Once abundance is achieved, the state will become democratic.
(b) It is extremely difficult for one class to make advancements for itself.
(c) No class ever voluntarily gives up its privileges.
(d) Once abundance is achieved, the state will become socialistic.
15. What did the Revolution force the Mexican people to do?
(a) Think about the future in global terms.
(b) Overcome the institutions of colonialism.
(c) Synthesize their colonial past with the pre-Catholicism past..
(d) Confront history and invent their future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Moctezuma think as the Spaniards approached?
2. Who authored. the book, Profile of Man and Culture in Mexico?
3. Which of the following created the Spanish monarchy?
4. What is one factor that drives world markets?
5. When did the Plan of Ayala go into effect?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)