|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Spaniards not exterminate the Indians after they were conquered?
(a) They respected the Indians.
(b) They wanted to learn from the Indians.
(c) They needed labor.
(d) Their Catholicism prevented mass slaughter.
2. What happened to the people annexed by greater world powers?
(a) They became passive in the world sphere.
(b) They were forgotten.
(c) They became more active in the world sphere.
(d) The material gains that they made balanced the loss of voice.
3. According to the tribe of the Chamulas, what is a chulel?
(a) A human soul residing in an animal.
(b) The prayer of deliverance uttered by a warrior.
(c) The tribute paid to a god.
(d) The imposition of Catholic beliefs over their native religion.
4. According to Jorge Cuesta, how has Mexico created herself?
(a) With an eye toward preventing civil war.
(b) In agreement with her past.
(c) In opposition to her past.
(d) With no regard for the common people.
5. In Paz's estimation, why do the common people follow their revolutionary leaders?
(a) They identify with the men.
(b) They have no desire to upset the progress of the Revolution.
(c) They believe in the revolution, regardless of who leads it.
(d) They are intimidated by the leaders.
6. Why were the Indians not outraged that their religions were replaced with Catholicism? (Chapter Five).
(a) Because their gods had betrayed them when Cortez attacked.
(b) Because they had been reconnected to the world.
(c) Because they were not very connected to their gods.
(d) Because they liked Catholicism better.
7. What was the motto of positivism?
(a) "Love, Order, and Progress".
(b) "Thus Shall We Live".
(c) "Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity".
(d) "The Spirit Shall Speak through My Race".
8. What did Manuel Gomez-Morin accomplish for the Revolution?
(a) He helped draft the new Constitution.
(b) He led the greatest contingent of soldiers.
(c) He wrote the Plan of Ayala.
(d) He formulated the property laws.
9. How did the Spanish Conquest treat religion?
(a) Spain was protecting the Mesoamerican religions.
(b) The Conquest did not relate to religion.
(c) Spain was integrating Mesoamerican religions.
(d) Spain was defending the faith.
10. What is one factor that drives world markets?
(a) The unequal distribution of raw materials.
(b) The low cost of raw materials, and the high cost of manufactured products.
(c) The unchallenged advantages of advanced countries.
(d) The inability of third-world markets to compete.
11. When did the Plan of Ayala go into effect?
(a) March, 1951.
(b) January, 1909.
(c) November, 1911.
(d) July, 1937.
12. According to Trotsky, what should happen if the Revolution does not break out in advanced nations following World War II?
(a) Socialism should be abandoned altogether.
(b) The Marxist view of history should be revised.
(c) Socialism should be forced on those nations.
(d) The Marxist view of economics should be revised.
13. During the Revolution, whom did the intelligentsia make the focal point of its activities?
(a) The common people.
(b) Their new leaders.
(c) The new poets.
14. What was the Mexican intellectual's goal?
(a) Educational reform.
(b) Political action.
(c) Cultural education.
(d) Propagation of the arts.
15. Why have Mexican culture and politics vacillated from one extreme to another? (Chapter Seven, page 157).
(a) Because Mexicans have difficulty synthesizing experiences.
(b) Because Mexicans deny their Spanish and Indian heritage.
(c) Because Mexicans cannot invent their history from the beginning.
(d) Because there has never been a strong Mexican leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Spain begin to lose her hold on Mexico?
2. What is Paz's solution for the lack of capital?
3. What event precipitated Spain's complete loss of power?
4. What important circumstance did early revolutionary governments not take into account?
5. What economic goal did the Revolution have?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)