|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the value of Sor Juana's poem, "First Dream"?
(a) A penetrating analysis of the effects of European influence.
(b) A comprehensive history of the Indians before Cortez.
(c) A philosophical look at the depth of reality.
(d) A philosophical look at Catholicism.
2. What duality does the pachuco represent?
(a) A saint deeply involved in scandal.
(b) A victim obsessed with revenge.
(c) A clown whose purpose is terror.
(d) A fiend whose trademark is hearty laughter.
3. What role does the Mexican man play in society?
(a) He protects everything entrusted to him.
(b) He wants to raise Mexico to a place of prominence in the world.
(c) He defends everything that he has.
(d) He seeks to expand his control in the world.
4. How did the Reform want to justify itself?
(a) Through its changes.
(b) Through its popularity.
(c) Through its past.
(d) Through the future.
5. In their relation to their world, to whom does Paz compare Mexicans?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following contributed to making colonialism alive and relevant?
2. What is the advantage of the North American view of women in relation to the Spanish view?
3. What is Paz's solution for the lack of capital?
4. According to an African tradition, why does a new bride eat a little dirt from her husband's village every day?
5. How did the Independence movement begin in South America?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)