|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the closure to Chapter Two, the reader sees what shadow spreading out over Mexico?
(a) The shadow of Catholicism.
(b) The shadow of dissimulation.
(c) The shadow of truth.
(d) The shadow of Nobody.
2. What mentality does Paz attribute to the Mexican?
3. What did the Spaniards find when they arrived in South America?
(a) Scattered groups of people.
(b) Uneducated, struggling clans.
(c) Autonomous, refined civilizations.
(d) A single ruling power.
4. What was the motto of positivism?
(a) "Love, Order, and Progress".
(b) "The Spirit Shall Speak through My Race".
(c) "Thus Shall We Live".
(d) "Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity".
5. When is the fiesta of Grito celebrated?
(a) August 3 at 9:00 AM.
(b) April 16 at 11:00 AM.
(c) October 31 at 3:00 PM.
(d) September 15 at 11:00 PM.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Mexican intellectual's goal?
2. Why do Mexicans tell lies (Chapter Two)?
3. What does Paz mean by the word, "community"?
4. According to Paz's argument, what is the source of the North American's irritation with the pachuco?
5. Paz says that during critical moments in a nation's development, the people ask themselves a critical question. What is that question?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)