|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What connotation does the verb, chingar, carry?
(a) Mythical power.
2. In contrast to the North American, what is one of the most noticeable traits about the Mexican character?
(a) His acceptance of horror.
(b) His obsession with love.
(c) His aversion to horror.
(d) His disinterest in emotional attachments.
3. What contributes to the power of the word, chingar, and all of its derivations?
(a) The fact that it is prohibited in public places.
(b) The fact that its derivations are many and complicated.
(c) The fact that people use the word in religious ceremonies.
(d) The fact that the word is related to words related to death.
4. Why do Mexicans tell lies (Chapter Two)?
(a) Merely for the enjoyment of it.
(b) To hide themselves.
(c) To protect the other person.
(d) To create confusion.
5. What economic goal did the Revolution have?
(a) To pull the nation out of poverty.
(b) To free Mexico from dependence on Spain.
(c) To establish commerce and industry.
(d) To improve the commerce that had already been established.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paz, what is the "contemporary crisis"? (Chapter Seven, page 172).
2. Other than solitude, what does the Mexican often feel in relation to other peoples?
3. In Paz's argument, how have tradition and religion always been presented to the Mexicans?
4. According to Paz, how does death end when a civilization denies it?
5. During the Revolution, whom did the intelligentsia make the focal point of its activities?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)