|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6 From Independence to the Revolution.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does intimacy sprout among Mexicans?
(a) When the nation is least involved in world affairs.
(b) When they are most alone.
(c) When they are in love.
(d) When incited by violence, alcohol, or a fiesta.
2. Where does Paz state that the Mexican's indifference hides his life force?
(a) Behind a death mask.
(b) In silence.
(c) Behind a veil of rationalism.
(d) Within a jumble of emotions.
3. In Paz's estimation, what vital word has the Mexican forgotten?
(a) The word tying him to life forces of creativity and destruction.
(b) The word that allows him to reach out to others.
(c) The word that gives him peace with all others.
(d) The word of love given to him by his mother.
4. According to Paz, why does the liar tell lies to himself?
(a) He is afraid of himself.
(b) He is afraid of finding truth in other people.
(c) He is afraid of the world.
(d) He does not know the truth.
5. What did Paz find in the actions and faces of North Americans?
(a) A faith in man's intrinsic goodness and its effects on their culture.
(b) A faith in their society and confidence in its survival.
(c) A fear about the survival of their society.
(d) An unrealistic optimism about the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Mexicans perceive an opening-up of one's self?
2. Other than solitude, what does the Mexican often feel in relation to other peoples?
3. To follow Paz's previous argument, what is the result when one Mexican confides in another?
4. Why does the worker lack mystery?
5. What is the most valued trait in both the military and political realms?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)