|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4 The Sons of La Malinche.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the closure to Chapter Two, the reader sees what shadow spreading out over Mexico?
(a) The shadow of truth.
(b) The shadow of Nobody.
(c) The shadow of Catholicism.
(d) The shadow of dissimulation.
2. In Paz's estimation, what vital word has the Mexican forgotten?
(a) The word tying him to life forces of creativity and destruction.
(b) The word of love given to him by his mother.
(c) The word that allows him to reach out to others.
(d) The word that gives him peace with all others.
3. Why did Catholicism drastically change the Aztec view of life?
(a) It saw life linearly rather than cyclically.
(b) It placed man's salvation outside himself.
(c) It emphasized man's humanity and personhood.
(d) It placed a merciful God in charge.
4. According to Paz, how does death end when a civilization denies it?
(a) By evading death.
(b) By living fully.
(c) It does not end.
(d) Through the denial of life.
5. What mentality does Paz attribute to the Mexican?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is death a part of the fiesta (Chapter Three)?
2. How does the philosophy of progress treat death?
3. How is the myth of the "long-suffering Mexican woman" created?
4. Above all other definitions, who is the Chingada?
5. Paz discusses the result of persecution on the pachuco. What is that result?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)