|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Day of the Dead.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most valued trait in both the military and political realms?
2. In Paz's estimation, what vital word has the Mexican forgotten?
(a) The word that allows him to reach out to others.
(b) The word that gives him peace with all others.
(c) The word tying him to life forces of creativity and destruction.
(d) The word of love given to him by his mother.
3. Why did the sense of Mexicanism "float" in the air of Los Angeles?
(a) No one truly knew that it meant to be Mexican.
(b) People struggled to retain Mexican identity in a foreign land.
(c) It was an ethereal sense of nationality.
(d) It did not mix with the North American efficiency or precision.
4. What type of book did Xavier Villaurrutia write?
(a) A scientific explanation of death.
(b) Death-related poetry.
(c) Life-related poetry.
(d) Religious exhortations about life.
5. According to Paz, how does death end when a civilization denies it?
(a) It does not end.
(b) By living fully.
(c) By evading death.
(d) Through the denial of life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the pachuco represent in Paz's writing?
2. What is Paz's opinion about the physical features distinguishing Mexicans from North Americans?
3. Aside from being an excess, what does the fiesta revolt against?
4. Why is death a part of the fiesta (Chapter Three)?
5. How does Paz differentiate between views of the body in Mexico and North America?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)