|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 Mexican Masks.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Paz's opinion about the physical features distinguishing Mexicans from North Americans?
(a) People are too distracted by them.
(b) People do not understand their significance.
(c) They are not as important as commonly believed.
(d) They are more important than commonly believed.
2. How did Paz consider his philosophical questions?
(a) As a waste of time.
(b) As meaningful only if they addressed the question of Mexican identity.
(c) As the only means to find answers.
(d) As an excuse for not facing reality.
3. What did Paz find in the actions and faces of North Americans?
(a) A faith in their society and confidence in its survival.
(b) A faith in man's intrinsic goodness and its effects on their culture.
(c) An unrealistic optimism about the future.
(d) A fear about the survival of their society.
4. According to Paz, why does the liar tell lies to himself?
(a) He does not know the truth.
(b) He is afraid of the world.
(c) He is afraid of himself.
(d) He is afraid of finding truth in other people.
5. Through dissimulation, what does a Mexican attempt to do?
(a) Become invisible and save his individuality.
(b) Withdraw from society to save his individuality.
(c) Become himself in contradistinction to others.
(d) Share his individuality with others to make it real.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mexican value in art, religion, and politics?
2. According to Paz, what is the Mexican's relationship with his fellow man?
3. Paz discusses the result of persecution on the pachuco. What is that result?
4. As the closure to Chapter Two, the reader sees what shadow spreading out over Mexico?
5. How does the pachuco present himself to the people around him?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)