|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Day of the Dead.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the advantage of the North American view of women in relation to the Spanish view?
(a) It credits women with a cosmic role.
(b) It does not objectify women.
(c) It recognizes women's place in the world.
(d) It does not deify women.
2. According to Paz, how does death end when a civilization denies it?
(a) Through the denial of life.
(b) By living fully.
(c) By evading death.
(d) It does not end.
3. Why did the sense of Mexicanism "float" in the air of Los Angeles?
(a) People struggled to retain Mexican identity in a foreign land.
(b) It did not mix with the North American efficiency or precision.
(c) No one truly knew that it meant to be Mexican.
(d) It was an ethereal sense of nationality.
4. Aside from being an excess, what does the fiesta revolt against?
5. What type of book did Xavier Villaurrutia write?
(a) A scientific explanation of death.
(b) Death-related poetry.
(c) Life-related poetry.
(d) Religious exhortations about life.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Paz's understanding of genders, how do Mexican women become like men?
2. How is the myth of the "long-suffering Mexican woman" created?
3. On which group of people were Paz's thoughts focused?
4. Why do Mexicans tell lies (Chapter Two)?
5. How does solitude assume a purifying, almost purgative, quality for the Mexican?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)