|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Day of the Dead.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What duality does the pachuco represent?
(a) A fiend whose trademark is hearty laughter.
(b) A victim obsessed with revenge.
(c) A saint deeply involved in scandal.
(d) A clown whose purpose is terror.
2. What is the advantage of the North American view of women in relation to the Spanish view?
(a) It credits women with a cosmic role.
(b) It does not objectify women.
(c) It does not deify women.
(d) It recognizes women's place in the world.
3. In Paz's example of the village near Mitla, how is their yearly income spent?
(a) On fiestas.
(b) On education.
(c) On weddings and christenings.
(d) On funerals.
4. What type of book did Xavier Villaurrutia write?
(a) A scientific explanation of death.
(b) Religious exhortations about life.
(c) Death-related poetry.
(d) Life-related poetry.
5. According to Paz, how does death end when a civilization denies it?
(a) Through the denial of life.
(b) By evading death.
(c) By living fully.
(d) It does not end.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Latin America, what was the importance of Jose Gorostiza's poem, Muerte sin Fin?
2. How do Mexicans perceive an opening-up of one's self?
3. What happens when the Mexican dissimulates?
4. In the book's argument, what happens when a Mexican woman is passive?
5. What is the most valued trait in both the military and political realms?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)