|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Day of the Dead.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Latin America, what was the importance of Jose Gorostiza's poem, Muerte sin Fin?
(a) It presented the Spanish conquest through the eyes of modernity.
(b) It was the best evidence of a truly modern awareness.
(c) It was the last example of the colonial mindset.
(d) It presented the best example of the Mexican fascination with horror.
2. What is the Spanish view of women in contrast to the Mexican?
(a) Women are shaped by the minds of men.
(b) Women are decent and modest.
(c) Women are wild and lecherous.
(d) Women are idols.
3. In his obsession with hygiene, work, and health, what does the North American miss?
(b) True anger.
(c) All-consuming love.
(d) True joy.
4. Where does Paz state that the Mexican's indifference hides his life force?
(a) In silence.
(b) Behind a death mask.
(c) Within a jumble of emotions.
(d) Behind a veil of rationalism.
5. From what does a fiesta free the Mexican, in Paz's understanding?
(a) The sense of unfulfilled desires.
(b) The horror of human thought.
(c) The drudgery of common living.
(d) The explosive desires he carries in his heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Paz's example of the village near Mitla, how is their yearly income spent?
2. How does solitude assume a purifying, almost purgative, quality for the Mexican?
3. What duality does the pachuco represent?
4. What analogy does Paz use to explain Mexico's history?
5. What does the Mexican value in art, religion, and politics?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)