|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the fiesta of Grito, why do the people shout for one hour, in Paz's interpretation?
(a) So they can be silent the rest of the year.
(b) To express their rage.
(c) To express great joy.
(d) So the name of Grito cannot be heard.
2. What is Paz's opinion about Western respect for life?
(a) It is truthful and realistic.
(b) It is not convincing.
(c) It is either hypocritical or incomplete.
(d) It illustrates man's limitations.
3. Following the Revolution, why was socialist education not widely implemented in Mexico?
(a) Socialism was not the philosophy adopted by Mexicans.
(b) Training was not available for teachers for providing a socialist education.
(c) Socialist education was highly unsuccessful.
(d) The government could not agree on a socialist curriculum.
4. What was the motto of positivism?
(a) "The Spirit Shall Speak through My Race".
(b) "Love, Order, and Progress".
(c) "Thus Shall We Live".
(d) "Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity".
5. According to Paz, how does death end when a civilization denies it?
(a) It does not end.
(b) By evading death.
(c) By living fully.
(d) Through the denial of life.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paz, what is death in modern thought?
2. What horror did Cortez's rule not commit?
3. What familial relationship does Paz equate with solitude?
4. Chapter Three begins with the great effect that fiestas and public celebrations have. What is this effect?
5. Who authored. the book, Profile of Man and Culture in Mexico?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)