|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are people sad if a person dies badly (Chapter Three)?
(a) The death should reflect the life.
(b) There is no honor in an untoward death.
(c) There will be no rest for his soul.
(d) The life is less important than the death.
2. In Paz's example of the village near Mitla, how is their yearly income spent?
(a) On weddings and christenings.
(b) On fiestas.
(c) On funerals.
(d) On education.
3. In Paz's philosophy, why must Mexicans face reality alone?
(a) They do not have a comprehensive philosophy of the self.
(b) They have alienated themselves from the world.
(c) The modern world no longer has any ideas.
(d) They are not in step with the rest of the intellectual world.
4. During the Revolution, whom did the intelligentsia make the focal point of its activities?
(a) The common people.
(b) The new poets.
(d) Their new leaders.
5. Why is death a part of the fiesta (Chapter Three)?
(a) Because people often get drunk and violent.
(b) Because exuberant death is honorable.
(c) Because the Mexican seeks to escape from himself.
(d) Because Mexico celebrates all aspects of life, even the end.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the fiesta, at its core, a revolution?
2. Aside from being an excess, what does the fiesta revolt against?
3. What was an important element of all ancient cultures?
4. From what does a fiesta free the Mexican, in Paz's understanding?
5. According to the tribe of the Chamulas, what is a chulel?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)