|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the philosophy of progress treat death?
(a) It minimizes death.
(b) It disregards death entirely.
(c) It treats death as one more step in life.
(d) It pretends to make death disappear.
2. What did Manuel Gomez-Morin accomplish for the Revolution?
(a) He formulated the property laws.
(b) He led the greatest contingent of soldiers.
(c) He helped draft the new Constitution.
(d) He wrote the Plan of Ayala.
3. When Paz sees that Mexicans return to their tradition, what do they remember?
(a) That their tradition is rooted in conquest and slavery.
(b) That their tradition is mostly Indian.
(c) That they do not belong to a greater universal tradition.
(d) That they are part of Spain's tradition.
4. What is the value of Sor Juana's poem, "First Dream"?
(a) A philosophical look at Catholicism.
(b) A penetrating analysis of the effects of European influence.
(c) A comprehensive history of the Indians before Cortez.
(d) A philosophical look at the depth of reality.
5. During the fiesta of Grito, why do the people shout for one hour, in Paz's interpretation?
(a) So the name of Grito cannot be heard.
(b) To express their rage.
(c) So they can be silent the rest of the year.
(d) To express great joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have Mexican culture and politics vacillated from one extreme to another? (Chapter Seven, page 157).
2. What is Paz's opinion about Western respect for life?
3. Where does Paz state that the Mexican's indifference hides his life force?
4. Why did Catholicism drastically change the Aztec view of life?
5. Why does poetry tend to eradicate history? (Chapter Seven).
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)