|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does England go off the gold standard?
2. During the 1920s how did corporations generally finance corporate expansion?
3. In the 1920s the economic boom basically occurred in what economic or financial sector?
4. What city is the center of the financial world when this book opens?
5. When do the Morgans purchase 23 Wall Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1934 why does Lamont stop supporting Japan?
2. Whom does Jack begin to groom for roles in the House of Morgan?
3. What major merger occurrs as a result of the big dive in the stock and commodity markets in October 1939?
4. What are the immediate results of the stock market panic in October 1907 and what is Morgan's role?
5. After Britain goes off the gold standard in 1919, who wants them back on the gold standard and why?
6. What is the Reconstruction Finance Corporation?
7. What causes a feud between the two Morgan partners, Morrow and Lamont?
8. Even when Mussolini is criticized for his violent tactics, who seems to side with Mussolini and why?
9. By the year 1900, Morgan has come to control most of what transportation industry and why?
10. When World War I begins, what are the positions of the US government and the House of Morgan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Crash of 1929 and the Depression that followed. What were the causes? What role did the Morgans play in the events leading up to the crash, in the immediate reaction to the crash and in the Depression that followed. Why and how did the Morgan firms survive?
Essay Topic 2
The Morgans were involved in a number of major scandals. Choose one of these scandals and discuss. Describe the scandal in detail. Include such things as the firm that was involved, why it was involved, what its involvement was, what Morgan people were involved and how, what the short term and long term effects were, what changes were made in the banking or securities laws (if any), etc.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the Morgan firms. Discuss its history from its origins until the end of the 1980s. Among things to discuss are its influence with governments, its influence in the financial world, who its main clients were, what its major business was during different periods, etc.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)