|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Molly get mad at Roy in chapter 16?
2. What is Roy's trick with his stethoscope?
3. Upon hearing Pinkus discuss his, what does Roy realize he does not have one of his own?
4. Chuck says that Howie's dose he gave a patient is equivalent to what?
5. Who is the tall, emaciated-looking consultant to Roy's new unit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Fat Man focus on in his workshop? What specialties?
2. What is so strange about how Eat My Dust Eddie speaks about his newborn baby?
3. When the elevator doesn't move, what is Roy's reaction? When he asks Eddie if he's gone nuts, what is his response? What does this show about their states of mind?
4. What does Nate Zock say he's going to write in his letter to the chief of medicine, Dr. Leggo, the chief resident, and the BMS and House trustees? What did Roy find out later that Nate Zock also did?
5. Whom does Gilheeny claim are the three people that he and Quick will always cherish?
6. Why exactly does Chuck get in trouble in chapter 21?
7. What does Roy see at the Marcel Marceau show that snaps Roy back into reality?
8. What started happening around Passover and what was Roy's idea to stop it? Does it work?
9. What was happening that made the interns all more isolated from one another?
10. How does Roy claim that many people in the hospital "take out our hatred, our loneliness, our horror with human suffering, and our despair at human endings"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do doctors really nickname people "gomers"? Explain why it would be realistic in our society if patients are actually TURFed and BUFFed like explained in the book.
Essay Topic 2
In the last line of the novel, Roy proposes to Berry. Why do you think he suddenly wasn't afraid of doing so anymore? Was it done at the very end of the novel to portray anything about Roy's growth? Explain. Indicate at least three times in the novel where you see some maturity growth occur.
Essay Topic 3
What caused such emotion to emerge in Roy that makes him snap out of his apathetic state? Explain why you believe such a small incident could bring about such clarity. Use quotes from the book to tie the moment of clarity in with times Roy felt lost, and compare and contrast.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)