|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon seeing a specific act in the show he attends with Berry, what does Roy begin to do?
2. What was Berry giving Roy and his friends advice about in chapter 24?
3. In what state will the Fat Man be transferring to next year?
4. In Chapter 20, what is equated by Roy as going together?
5. In his new rotation in Chapter 18, who is the first person Roy sees whom he recognizes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't they ever get rid of the one gomer Harry the Horse?
2. Why does Roy start to dislike the Fat Man? What does Berry think?
3. What does Nate Zock say he's going to write in his letter to the chief of medicine, Dr. Leggo, the chief resident, and the BMS and House trustees? What did Roy find out later that Nate Zock also did?
4. What does the Fat Man focus on in his workshop? What specialties?
5. What does Roy see at the Marcel Marceau show that snaps Roy back into reality?
6. When the elevator doesn't move, what is Roy's reaction? When he asks Eddie if he's gone nuts, what is his response? What does this show about their states of mind?
7. What single incident, with the hepatitis woman, made it hard for Roy "to do extremely well for a minute or two"? How did Roy and the nurse react?
8. What was happening that made the interns all more isolated from one another?
9. What is Roy's father's reaction to finding out that Roy is going into psychiatry?
10. Why does Berry say that it is emotionally detrimental for the interns when they move on so quickly from things (like Potts' death) and in spite of everything, act like there is no past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you feel any differently about the medical profession and/or doctors after reading the book? Did you consider doctors to all be virtuous or did you have a feeling some had other intentions than just helping people? Explain if and how your opinion changed.
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe is Jo's main reason for becoming a doctor? Roy suggests that it has to do with her past as well as her present social life. Talk about some things that come up about Jo, and explain how this could have affected what kind of a doctor she eventually became.
Essay Topic 3
Roy speaks of wearing his "doctor costume" when he is starting out in his rotations. What do you think he means by this? Were there any other character wearing "costumes"? If so, who? Why would Roy, or any other character, need to wear a costume?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)