|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy buy himself at the end of chapter 21?
2. What is one of Jo's major flaws?
3. What is Roy's trick with his stethoscope?
4. In his fantasy he has while at work, Roy imagines the mystery woman's perfume to smell like what?
5. In Chapter 20, what is Roy's theory for the large influx of recent deaths?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was said by Chuck to Leggo in their farewell meeting that Roy said, for the first time, that the Leggo seemed to hear?
2. What is Pinkus' state of health as opposed to how he used to be?
3. What was happening that made the interns all more isolated from one another?
4. Why does Roy start to dislike the Fat Man? What does Berry think?
5. What is so strange about how Eat My Dust Eddie speaks about his newborn baby?
6. What is Roy's father's reaction to finding out that Roy is going into psychiatry?
7. What does Roy see at the Marcel Marceau show that snaps Roy back into reality?
8. Why does Berry say that it is emotionally detrimental for the interns when they move on so quickly from things (like Potts' death) and in spite of everything, act like there is no past?
9. What does Roy ask the Runt about Angel? Why can't the Runt completely answer the question?
10. What started happening around Passover and what was Roy's idea to stop it? Does it work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the last line of the novel, Roy proposes to Berry. Why do you think he suddenly wasn't afraid of doing so anymore? Was it done at the very end of the novel to portray anything about Roy's growth? Explain. Indicate at least three times in the novel where you see some maturity growth occur.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of isolation in the novel as it affects at least two of the characters. Use quotations from the book to back up your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Roy and Berry's relationship seems to be more complicated than most couples'. Explain how they help one another and what roles they play in each other's lives.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)