|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Crazy Abe" live?
2. For what occasion do Berry and Roy visit his parents?
3. Passing a hospice on his walk, Roy is reminded of all the _____________ he treated the past year.
4. Why does the Fat Man tell Potts not to hydrate his patient Ina?
5. How does Chuck ensure clean sheets for himself in the on-call sleeping room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Roy and Chuck don't attend to their patients at all. Why does this end up working out for them?
2. What does gomer stand for?
3. What is the Fat Man's response when Roy asks him why his patients all love him?
4. What does Molly get Roy for Christmas and what does she admit to him? How does Roy feel about this?
5. Why does Roy think that Jo throws herself into her work so vehemently?
6. How does Roy react when the Fat Man says he knows how scared the interns are?
7. On the average, how old are the gomers?
8. What keeps reminding Roy of all the gomers from the House?
9. Potts is on Valium, and starts putting his patients on it as well. Why does he say he's doing this?
10. What insignia starts appearing all over the hospital by Roy's name, and what do people take it to mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do doctors really nickname people "gomers"? Explain why it would be realistic in our society if patients are actually TURFed and BUFFed like explained in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how "The House of God" could be considered a "coming of age" novel. What growth was made by Roy throughout his year-long internship?
Essay Topic 3
In the last line of the novel, Roy proposes to Berry. Why do you think he suddenly wasn't afraid of doing so anymore? Was it done at the very end of the novel to portray anything about Roy's growth? Explain. Indicate at least three times in the novel where you see some maturity growth occur.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)