|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Berry think of Roy's coworkers when she met them at a party?
2. What movie/food combination does the Fat Man talk about which he enjoys?
3. Why did Roy and Berry leave early from dinner with Roy's parents?
4. What does the the term "slurpers" refer to?
5. How did the Runt get rid of a patient that came into the EW when he was busy with the Yellow Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Fat Man's response when Roy asks him why his patients all love him?
2. How does Roy say the interns in the House of God handled intimacy?
3. Roy and Chuck don't attend to their patients at all. Why does this end up working out for them?
4. What does Potts say he considers a half emergency?
5. Why does the Fat Man say the interns should do a bad job filling out the paperwork?
6. Gilheeny and Quick tell a story about an intern Grenade Room Dubler, who was set up with a favor by the policemen. What was the favor, and what was the outcome?
7. What does Molly get Roy for Christmas and what does she admit to him? How does Roy feel about this?
8. What is a "slurper"?
9. What was Chuck's plan to get clean sheets in the on-call room? How do Roy and the Runt plan to do this too?
10. Potts is on Valium, and starts putting his patients on it as well. Why does he say he's doing this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roy is steered in the direction of considering psychiatry instead the continuation of medical school. His father admits he always was good figuring out people. Come up with at least three instances where Roy displayed character traits which are in line with those of psychiatry. Explain in detail how these traits would help him in the field.
Essay Topic 2
What caused such emotion to emerge in Roy that makes him snap out of his apathetic state? Explain why you believe such a small incident could bring about such clarity. Use quotes from the book to tie the moment of clarity in with times Roy felt lost, and compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of isolation in the novel as it affects at least two of the characters. Use quotations from the book to back up your claims.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)