|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Otis?
2. What does the Fat Man tell Chuck the way he dresses makes him look like?
3. What happened to the child of the worried couple who mistakenly thought their daughter was sent to the House?
4. What does the Fat Man give advice to Roy about?
5. What was Chuck the only of in his ward?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the average, how old are the gomers?
2. Explain what "gomers go to ground" means and what it entails.
3. Gilheeny and Quick tell a story about an intern Grenade Room Dubler, who was set up with a favor by the policemen. What was the favor, and what was the outcome?
4. Why does the Fat Man say that in internal medicine it's not necessary to see the patients?
5. Potts is on Valium, and starts putting his patients on it as well. Why does he say he's doing this?
6. What imaginary object does Cohen tell Roy to use when he doesn't know how he will make it through their 24-hour shift?
7. What is a SIEVE and a WALL?
8. What happens when Potts hydrates the gomer Ida against the Fat Man's wishes?
9. What does Roy tell Leggo is the reason that his boys don't love him?
10. What kind of internship is Roy reflecting upon in the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One moment Roy believes the Fat Man to be right about everything, and then he questions him the next moment. For a good amount of time, he believes Pinkus had the right idea about medicine, until he snapped out of it. Why do you believe that Roy had such confusion regarding the different perspectives of the doctors? Was it because he was devoid of an opinion of his own, or was he just susceptible to others' viewpoints?
Essay Topic 2
A Catch 22 is when one outcome is dependent on another, while the other is dependent on the first one as well. For example, a person needs money to buy a car, but needs a car to get to work tin order to make the money to buy the car. How does the gomer "Harry the Horse" portray behavior that is reminiscent of Catch 22?
Essay Topic 3
What caused such emotion to emerge in Roy that makes him snap out of his apathetic state? Explain why you believe such a small incident could bring about such clarity. Use quotes from the book to tie the moment of clarity in with times Roy felt lost, and compare and contrast.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)