|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Grenade Room was called that because why?
2. What does Mr. Rokitansky say no matter what people ask ?
3. What was Roy's father's profession?
4. The Wing of Zock was named for what?
5. Who is Otis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Roy and Chuck don't attend to their patients at all. Why does this end up working out for them?
2. What is a LOL in NAD?
3. In Chapter 10, what happens that forces Roy to really think about death?
4. What is a SIEVE and a WALL?
5. What does Potts say he considers a half emergency?
6. Why does Roy think that Jo throws herself into her work so vehemently?
7. Gilheeny and Quick tell a story about an intern Grenade Room Dubler, who was set up with a favor by the policemen. What was the favor, and what was the outcome?
8. Why is Roy initially perplexed by the Fat Man's obsession with "The Wizard of Oz"? What does he then realize?
9. What was Chuck's plan to get clean sheets in the on-call room? How do Roy and the Runt plan to do this too?
10. On the average, how old are the gomers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What caused such emotion to emerge in Roy that makes him snap out of his apathetic state? Explain why you believe such a small incident could bring about such clarity. Use quotes from the book to tie the moment of clarity in with times Roy felt lost, and compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 2
Berry says the interns' problem is that they seem to obliterate each day in order to start the new one. In other words, "one day at a time" philosophy taken seriously. Although a way to cope when having a difficult time, Berry pointed out that there is no emotional growth when acting this way, so nothing changes, and the person continues to have a difficult time coping with their life. Choose at least two characters and give specific examples of when they were exemplifying this philosophy within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of isolation in the novel as it affects at least two of the characters. Use quotations from the book to back up your claims.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)