|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Roy was afraid to give what to a patient?
2. What happened to the child of the worried couple who mistakenly thought their daughter was sent to the House?
3. How is the Fish described?
4. What is Berry's advice on how to survive the internship?
5. Who does Roy say was regarded as illiterate and underprivileged when really they were literate and privileged?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roy say the interns in the House of God handled intimacy?
2. What ethical quandary must Roy face?
3. What is the Fat Man's response when Roy asks him why his patients all love him?
4. What do Roy and his friends, who have political internships in D.C., realize are similar about their situations?
5. What does Molly get Roy for Christmas and what does she admit to him? How does Roy feel about this?
6. How does Roy react when the Fat Man says he knows how scared the interns are?
7. What is Roy's mother's reaction when she senses his ambivalence about medicine and the internship?
8. What happens when Potts hydrates the gomer Ida against the Fat Man's wishes?
9. What is a LOL in NAD?
10. What imaginary object does Cohen tell Roy to use when he doesn't know how he will make it through their 24-hour shift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of isolation in the novel as it affects at least two of the characters. Use quotations from the book to back up your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Berry says the interns' problem is that they seem to obliterate each day in order to start the new one. In other words, "one day at a time" philosophy taken seriously. Although a way to cope when having a difficult time, Berry pointed out that there is no emotional growth when acting this way, so nothing changes, and the person continues to have a difficult time coping with their life. Choose at least two characters and give specific examples of when they were exemplifying this philosophy within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What caused such emotion to emerge in Roy that makes him snap out of his apathetic state? Explain why you believe such a small incident could bring about such clarity. Use quotes from the book to tie the moment of clarity in with times Roy felt lost, and compare and contrast.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)