|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Roy accidentally hit in the eye?
2. Why did Roy and Berry leave early from dinner with Roy's parents?
3. What does Roy say he loved before the House of God?
4. What does the Fat Man tell Chuck the way he dresses makes him look like?
5. What was wrong with the patient Ina?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Roy think Berry suspected something was up with him (and possibly someone else) in Chapter 8?
2. What is Roy's mother's reaction when she senses his ambivalence about medicine and the internship?
3. What does Molly get Roy for Christmas and what does she admit to him? How does Roy feel about this?
4. Potts is on Valium, and starts putting his patients on it as well. Why does he say he's doing this?
5. How does Roy say the interns in the House of God handled intimacy?
6. What ethical quandary must Roy face?
7. What imaginary object does Cohen tell Roy to use when he doesn't know how he will make it through their 24-hour shift?
8. On the average, how old are the gomers?
9. Roy makes up a law of his own, a new number ten. What is it?
10. What insignia starts appearing all over the hospital by Roy's name, and what do people take it to mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many times throughout the novel where ethics are questioned. Name at least three times where they appear and explain the outcomes.
Essay Topic 2
The Black Crow award was given to the intern with the most postmortem admissions. In order to get a postmortem admission, a patient must die.
Similarly, a doctor is rewarded for finding the cure to a problem or disease. What inevitably happened when this award was given? Explain the reasons why and why not the award should exist.
Essay Topic 3
After Potts' death, Roy shuts down completely and according to Berry was acting like a "machine". Why is this specific simile used? What machine-like qualities did Roy possess?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)