• Roy, on vacation in France with his girlfriend Berry, reflects on his year-long internship which recently ended.
• He speaks very sexually about Berry, and also has sexual fantasies about having sleeping with unnamed nurses on a blood-slippery floor.
• He remembers the "gomers" (realizing everything reminds him of them) and reflects on how he used to like old people before his internship.
• The "House of God" is introduced to the reader.
• Roy goes to orientation and is given advice about starting internship.
• He admits to Berry how scared he is, to which Berry (a psychology resident) tells him to just practice denial.
• He meets Dr. Fishberg ("Fish"), Dr. Leggo, Pinkus, Dr. Frank, and Dr. Pearlstein ("The Pearl")
• He is introduced to the term "slurper," meaning one who sucks up to get ahead on the medical hierarchy.
• He meets Chuck, one of the few African-Americans in the program...
This section contains 3,644 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)