|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Bitterbuck’s execution scheduled?
2. Who helps Bitterbuck braid his hair before his execution?
3. How long does it take Wharton to wake up after Brutus hits him with his baton?
4. What is the name of the sheriff who is in charge of the county where the Dettericks live?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Bitterbuck throw the mouse to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Delacroix sent out to give a performance with his mouse at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 7?
2. What did Wharton do at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 5 that got him sent to the restraint room?
3. How did Mr. Jingles eat a portion of a sandwich that Brutal gave him the first night that the mouse showed up?
4. What does Paul say to Bitterbuck when he starts to get nervous on the way to the electric chair?
5. How does Percy Wetmore keep his job if he is so incompetent?
6. How is Melinda Moores doing when she is sent home from the hospital?
7. Who at Georgia Pines reminds Paul of Percy Wetmore?
8. Why didn’t Bowser bark when the Detterick girls were taken?
9. What does Bitterbuck tell Paul about his life?
10. What does Burt Hammersmith compare John Coffey to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Percy hates Delacroix. Did Percy have positive or negative feelings for Delacroix when Delacroix first came on the block? What happened that made Percy hate Delacroix? How does Percy make life miserable for Delacroix? What makes Percy hate Delacroix even more? How does Percy seek revenge?
Essay Topic 2
Paul thinks that Coffey’s powers come from God, and Delacroix believes that his actions are due to hoodoo. How was Paul raised? What part did religion play in his upbringing? What is known about Delacroix’s upbringing? How might that have affected how he reacted to miraculous events? How do the two men’s views of life determine what motives they see behind Coffey’s healings?
Essay Topic 3
There are two antagonists in the novel. Who are the two antagonists? In what ways are these men alike? What conflicts do they cause Paul? Which one does Paul have more power over? Does he vanquish one of these men? Why doesn’t Paul have much control over Dolan? Is Paul ever able to exert any control over Dolan?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)