|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bitterbuck’s rank on his reservation?
2. How did Beverly McCall kill her husband?
3. What does Mrs. Hammersmith bring Paul to drink?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Toot-Toot throw the mouse to eat?
5. How old does Paul think Hammersmith’s son is?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 2, what happens when Percy throws his baton at the mouse?
2. What does John Coffey look like?
3. How did Mr. Jingles eat a portion of a sandwich that Brutal gave him the first night that the mouse showed up?
4. Why was John Coffey arrested for murder?
5. What did Wharton do at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 5 that got him sent to the restraint room?
6. What does Burt Hammersmith compare John Coffey to?
7. Who at Georgia Pines reminds Paul of Percy Wetmore?
8. What does Percy do to Mr. Jingles at the end of Part 3?
9. Where does Brutal discover that Mr. Jingles was hiding before he first showed up?
10. What was Bitterbuck’s crime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul and Elaine are good friends. In what ways are Paul and Elaine friends? Does one of them take a primary role in caring for the other? Are they more than friends? Why or why not? How does their relationship affect their lives at Georgia Pines?
Essay Topic 2
There are two antagonists in the novel. Who are the two antagonists? In what ways are these men alike? What conflicts do they cause Paul? Which one does Paul have more power over? Does he vanquish one of these men? Why doesn’t Paul have much control over Dolan? Is Paul ever able to exert any control over Dolan?
Essay Topic 3
Burt Hammersmith believes that Coffey is dangerous and committed the murders of the little girls. What made Hammersmith come to that conclusion? What analogy does Hammersmith use to indicate why he believes Coffey is dangerous? Why does he believe Paul should never turn his back on Coffey?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)