|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aeschylus felt that the cause of misery was _____________.
2. The Greek gods and goddesses began with the writing of _____________________________.
3. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
4. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
5. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Thucydides' views on power and wealth?
2. How are the characters in a Greek play viewed?
3. How did Euripides treat religion?
4. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
5. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
6. Why did the Peloponnesian War take place?
7. What was the outcome of Peloponnesian War?
8. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
9. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
10. IN what way does Xenophon provide a different view of Athens than Thucydides did?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the early Greek writers were concerned with the issues of power and wealth and war. Explain how power and wealth lead to war. What is it that a nation is fighting for and why? Apply this to the situation of Athens and Sparta.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of Greek tragedy and why it is so enjoyable to the audience. What is it that appeals to the audience? Why isn't it sad or depressing?
Essay Topic 3
How did today's society, with its emphasis on the individual, compare to that of the ancient Greeks? How does the modern approach differ from that of the Greek's? Why can or can't modern society achieve what the Greeks did in the way that the Greeks did it?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)