|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
2. Through Xenophon, one can view the life of the _______________________.
3. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
4. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
5. According to Hamilton, Greek religion developed from _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Peloponnesian War take place?
2. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
3. IN what way does Xenophon provide a different view of Athens than Thucydides did?
4. What were Thucydides' views on power and wealth?
5. The Retreat of the Ten Thousand was Xenophon's claim to fame. What was it?
6. How did Euripides treat religion?
7. What are the similarities between Macbeth and the tragedies of Aeschylus?
8. What were Xenophon's views on war?
9. Why did Euripides write Trojan Women?
10. What does it mean to say that the Greeks are concerned with life and abstractions from life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reality of the mind affected Greek art and architecture. This reality was responsible for the way the Greeks viewed things and saw things. Comment on the statement and explain how. Why does the statement approach the Greek way of approaching a problem?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom and liberty were the backbone of the ancient Athenian society. People prided themselves on their lifestyle and thinking. Explain what the role of freedom and liberty meant in ancient Athens. Would Athens have become the cradle of Western Civilization without these freedoms? Would they have achieved the great heights that they did achieve? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the elements of Greek comedy and how it compares to modern comedy. Would a modern audience understand the mockery and satire? Do you think that modern audiences are as politically and culturally aware as the ancient Greeks were?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)