|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is one of the two periods of tragedy in literary history?
2. The tragedies of Aeschylus present death and suffering in a way that __________________________.
3. Which term does not apply to the Theater of Dionysus?
4. Compared to the other tragedians, Euripides is described as the _________________.
5. The Greek gods and goddesses began with the writing of _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities between Macbeth and the tragedies of Aeschylus?
2. How did the religion of the ancient Greeks develop?
3. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
4. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
5. Why did Euripides write Trojan Women?
6. Who are the four great tragedy writers?
7. Why did the Peloponnesian War take place?
8. In what way did Aeschylus change Greek drama?
9. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
10. Explain why the Theater of Dionysus was a religious experience for the audience.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of viewing things as part of a whole? How did this result in balance? How did this contribute to the greatness of the Greek society and thinkers?
Essay Topic 2
Athens is called the cradle of Western Civilization. What does this mean and why do people say this? What is the significance of ancient Athens to Western civilization and why?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Renaissance compare to the culture and achievements of the ancient Greeks? What was missing? Why couldn't they duplicate what the Greeks had?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)