|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
2. Which of the following terms applies to the religion of the ancient Greeks?
3. Which of the following is not a name associated with Greek tragedy?
4. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
5. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
2. How did the religion of the ancient Greeks develop?
3. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
4. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
5. What were Thucydides' views on power and wealth?
6. Why did the Peloponnesian War take place?
7. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
8. Where do the subjects of Greek tragedy come from?
9. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
10. Why did Thucydides write a book on the war between Athens and Sparta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Eastern civilizations were totally different than the Athenian civilization. They emphasized different things and had a different life style. Compare and contrast the ancient Eastern civilization, as given by ancient Egypt, with the civilization established in Athens.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how drama at the Theater of Dionysus was a form of religious worship. Why didn't the people have their religious needs satisfied by their gods and goddesses? What did they find in the theater that they didn't find in the temples?
Essay Topic 3
Why didn't the ancient Greeks see any contradictions in their practice of slavery and their emphasis on freedom? What were their views of slaves? When did they first become concerned with the issue of slavery?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)