|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greeks were concerned with _______________________.
2. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
3. Thucydides felt that ___________________________________.
4. Which term does not apply to the Theater of Dionysus?
5. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the four great tragedy writers?
2. How are the characters in a Greek play viewed?
3. What were Thucydides' views on power and wealth?
4. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
5. The Retreat of the Ten Thousand was Xenophon's claim to fame. What was it?
6. Why did Euripides write Trojan Women?
7. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
8. How does Sophocles feel about fate?
9. Why did Thucydides write a book on the war between Athens and Sparta?
10. How did Euripides treat religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of viewing things as part of a whole? How did this result in balance? How did this contribute to the greatness of the Greek society and thinkers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of Greek tragedy and why it is so enjoyable to the audience. What is it that appeals to the audience? Why isn't it sad or depressing?
Essay Topic 3
The Eastern civilizations were totally different than the Athenian civilization. They emphasized different things and had a different life style. Compare and contrast the ancient Eastern civilization, as given by ancient Egypt, with the civilization established in Athens.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)