Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
2. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
3. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
4. Xenophon is famous for his book called __________________________________.
5. Which of the following terms applies to the religion of the ancient Greeks?
Essay Topic 1
What factors led to the fall of the Greek city-states? They were rich and powerful. What effect did their ambitions have on their attitudes and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the elements of Greek comedy and how it compares to modern comedy. Would a modern audience understand the mockery and satire? Do you think that modern audiences are as politically and culturally aware as the ancient Greeks were?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the three great Greek tragedy writers, Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides. Each of these writers was from a different period and the state of the Athenian society was reflected in their writing and beliefs. How does this come through in their plays?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)