|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
2. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
3. Xenophon suggested that _____________________________________.
4. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
5. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Thucydides write a book on the war between Athens and Sparta?
2. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
3. Sophocles and Aeschylus lived in different times in Athens. How did the Athens of Sophocles differ from the Athens of Aeschylus?
4. How did Sophocles and Aeschylus differ on their views of freedom and law?
5. How does Sophocles feel about fate?
6. IN what way does Xenophon provide a different view of Athens than Thucydides did?
7. Explain why the Theater of Dionysus was a religious experience for the audience.
8. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
9. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
10. What are the similarities between Macbeth and the tragedies of Aeschylus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is said that if one wants to learn the ethics and values of a society, one should examine the work of the dramatists and writers of the time. Why? What is it that is reflected in the literature that can't be found anywhere else? Is this also true of the ancient Greeks?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of viewing things as part of a whole? How did this result in balance? How did this contribute to the greatness of the Greek society and thinkers?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how drama at the Theater of Dionysus was a form of religious worship. Why didn't the people have their religious needs satisfied by their gods and goddesses? What did they find in the theater that they didn't find in the temples?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)