|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
2. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
3. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
4. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
5. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The Retreat of the Ten Thousand was Xenophon's claim to fame. What was it?
2. What were Xenophon's views on war?
3. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
4. In what way did Aeschylus change Greek drama?
5. How does Sophocles feel about fate?
6. Why did Euripides write Trojan Women?
7. Where do the subjects of Greek tragedy come from?
8. How did Euripides treat religion?
9. Who are the four great tragedy writers?
10. What does it mean to say that the Greeks are concerned with life and abstractions from life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reality of the mind affected Greek art and architecture. This reality was responsible for the way the Greeks viewed things and saw things. Comment on the statement and explain how. Why does the statement approach the Greek way of approaching a problem?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom and liberty were the backbone of the ancient Athenian society. People prided themselves on their lifestyle and thinking. Explain what the role of freedom and liberty meant in ancient Athens. Would Athens have become the cradle of Western Civilization without these freedoms? Would they have achieved the great heights that they did achieve? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What are your impressions of the ancient Greeks and their accomplishments? Do you think they can or have been duplicated? Why or why not? Do you think they will every be duplicated? Why or why not?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)