|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
2. Which term does not apply to the Theater of Dionysus?
3. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
4. Which role did Aeschylus not fulfill?
5. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
2. Where do the subjects of Greek tragedy come from?
3. Sophocles and Aeschylus lived in different times in Athens. How did the Athens of Sophocles differ from the Athens of Aeschylus?
4. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
5. What was the outcome of Peloponnesian War?
6. Who are the four great tragedy writers?
7. What does it mean to say that the Greeks are concerned with life and abstractions from life?
8. In what ways does Sophocles differ from Aeschylus?
9. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
10. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reality of the mind affected Greek art and architecture. This reality was responsible for the way the Greeks viewed things and saw things. Comment on the statement and explain how. Why does the statement approach the Greek way of approaching a problem?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Renaissance compare to the culture and achievements of the ancient Greeks? What was missing? Why couldn't they duplicate what the Greeks had?
Essay Topic 3
What are your impressions of the ancient Greeks and their accomplishments? Do you think they can or have been duplicated? Why or why not? Do you think they will every be duplicated? Why or why not?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)