|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
2. Which of the following is not a play of Euripides'?
3. Xenophon suggested that _____________________________________.
4. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
5. Which of the following terms applies to the religion of the ancient Greeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Sophocles differ from Aeschylus?
2. What were Xenophon's views on war?
3. Explain why the Theater of Dionysus was a religious experience for the audience.
4. What were Thucydides' views on power and wealth?
5. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
6. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
7. Why did Euripides write Trojan Women?
8. How did the religion of the ancient Greeks develop?
9. Why did Thucydides write a book on the war between Athens and Sparta?
10. Why did the Peloponnesian War take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did today's society, with its emphasis on the individual, compare to that of the ancient Greeks? How does the modern approach differ from that of the Greek's? Why can or can't modern society achieve what the Greeks did in the way that the Greeks did it?
Essay Topic 2
The Eastern civilizations were totally different than the Athenian civilization. They emphasized different things and had a different life style. Compare and contrast the ancient Eastern civilization, as given by ancient Egypt, with the civilization established in Athens.
Essay Topic 3
Why can't mankind achieve the balance and greatness that the Greeks had? What is this balance and why can't it be re-achieved? How did it lead to the greatness of the ancient Greek society and their contributions to the world?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)