|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
2. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
3. The Persian plan to defeat the Ten Thousand was to _________________________________.
4. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
5. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how drama at the Theater of Dionysus was a form of religious worship. Why didn't the people have their religious needs satisfied by their gods and goddesses? What did they find in the theater that they didn't find in the temples?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of Greek tragedy and why it is so enjoyable to the audience. What is it that appeals to the audience? Why isn't it sad or depressing?
Essay Topic 3
What are your impressions of the ancient Greeks and their accomplishments? Do you think they can or have been duplicated? Why or why not? Do you think they will every be duplicated? Why or why not?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)