|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
2. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
3. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
4. Tragedy in drama began with whom?
5. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athens is called the cradle of Western Civilization. What does this mean and why do people say this? What is the significance of ancient Athens to Western civilization and why?
Essay Topic 2
Why can't mankind achieve the balance and greatness that the Greeks had? What is this balance and why can't it be re-achieved? How did it lead to the greatness of the ancient Greek society and their contributions to the world?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the early Greek writers were concerned with the issues of power and wealth and war. Explain how power and wealth lead to war. What is it that a nation is fighting for and why? Apply this to the situation of Athens and Sparta.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)