|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Xenophon is famous for his book called __________________________________.
2. Viewing things as part of the whole applies to all but _______________.
3. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
4. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
5. During the war, Thucydides was _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Xenophon's views on war?
2. Why did the Peloponnesian War take place?
3. How did the religion of the ancient Greeks develop?
4. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
5. What was the outcome of Peloponnesian War?
6. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
7. The Retreat of the Ten Thousand was Xenophon's claim to fame. What was it?
8. Why did Thucydides write a book on the war between Athens and Sparta?
9. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
10. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did today's society, with its emphasis on the individual, compare to that of the ancient Greeks? How does the modern approach differ from that of the Greek's? Why can or can't modern society achieve what the Greeks did in the way that the Greeks did it?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the three great Greek tragedy writers, Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides. Each of these writers was from a different period and the state of the Athenian society was reflected in their writing and beliefs. How does this come through in their plays?
Essay Topic 3
What are your impressions of the ancient Greeks and their accomplishments? Do you think they can or have been duplicated? Why or why not? Do you think they will every be duplicated? Why or why not?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)