|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
2. Tragedy in drama began with whom?
3. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
4. Euripides wrote his plays how many years after Aeschylus?
5. Which of the following is not a play of Euripides'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Euripides write Trojan Women?
2. How are the characters in a Greek play viewed?
3. What does it mean to say that the Greeks are concerned with life and abstractions from life?
4. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
5. Where do the subjects of Greek tragedy come from?
6. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
7. How did the religion of the ancient Greeks develop?
8. How did Euripides treat religion?
9. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
10. How does Sophocles feel about fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference between the mind and the spirit, as discussed in the book. What activities are belong to which realm and why? Why is the distinction important? How did the Athenians come to make this distinction?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of viewing things as part of a whole? How did this result in balance? How did this contribute to the greatness of the Greek society and thinkers?
Essay Topic 3
What are your impressions of the ancient Greeks and their accomplishments? Do you think they can or have been duplicated? Why or why not? Do you think they will every be duplicated? Why or why not?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)