|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
2. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
3. Which tragedian is considered to be the most modern?
4. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
5. The most important oracle was at _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sophocles and Aeschylus differ on their views of freedom and law?
2. The Retreat of the Ten Thousand was Xenophon's claim to fame. What was it?
3. How does Sophocles feel about fate?
4. Explain why the Theater of Dionysus was a religious experience for the audience.
5. Why did the Peloponnesian War take place?
6. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
7. How did the religion of the ancient Greeks develop?
8. In what ways does Sophocles differ from Aeschylus?
9. Where do the subjects of Greek tragedy come from?
10. What does it mean to say that the Greeks are concerned with life and abstractions from life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why can't mankind achieve the balance and greatness that the Greeks had? What is this balance and why can't it be re-achieved? How did it lead to the greatness of the ancient Greek society and their contributions to the world?
Essay Topic 2
What are your impressions of the ancient Greeks and their accomplishments? Do you think they can or have been duplicated? Why or why not? Do you think they will every be duplicated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Eastern civilizations were totally different than the Athenian civilization. They emphasized different things and had a different life style. Compare and contrast the ancient Eastern civilization, as given by ancient Egypt, with the civilization established in Athens.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)