|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the first Greek tragedy?
2. Which of the following is not one of the four elements common to every tragedy?
3. According to Hamilton, Greek religion developed from _____________________________.
4. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
5. Aeschylus had been ________________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the characters in a Greek play viewed?
2. Where do the subjects of Greek tragedy come from?
3. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
4. Who are the four great tragedy writers?
5. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
6. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
7. IN what way does Xenophon provide a different view of Athens than Thucydides did?
8. In what ways does Sophocles differ from Aeschylus?
9. What was the outcome of Peloponnesian War?
10. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how drama at the Theater of Dionysus was a form of religious worship. Why didn't the people have their religious needs satisfied by their gods and goddesses? What did they find in the theater that they didn't find in the temples?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the elements of Greek comedy and how it compares to modern comedy. Would a modern audience understand the mockery and satire? Do you think that modern audiences are as politically and culturally aware as the ancient Greeks were?
Essay Topic 3
Why didn't the ancient Greeks see any contradictions in their practice of slavery and their emphasis on freedom? What were their views of slaves? When did they first become concerned with the issue of slavery?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)