|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
2. Which of the following terms applies to the religion of the ancient Greeks?
3. The most important oracle was at _________________.
4. Tragedy in drama began with whom?
5. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the three great Greek tragedy writers, Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides. Each of these writers was from a different period and the state of the Athenian society was reflected in their writing and beliefs. How does this come through in their plays?
Essay Topic 2
Why didn't the ancient Greeks see any contradictions in their practice of slavery and their emphasis on freedom? What were their views of slaves? When did they first become concerned with the issue of slavery?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the difference between the mind and the spirit, as discussed in the book. What activities are belong to which realm and why? Why is the distinction important? How did the Athenians come to make this distinction?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)