|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Euripides wrote the Trojan Women to _______________________________.
2. Which tragedian is considered to be the most modern?
3. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
4. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
5. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Sophocles and Aeschylus lived in different times in Athens. How did the Athens of Sophocles differ from the Athens of Aeschylus?
2. Where do the subjects of Greek tragedy come from?
3. The Retreat of the Ten Thousand was Xenophon's claim to fame. What was it?
4. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
5. How did Euripides treat religion?
6. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
7. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
8. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
9. What were Thucydides' views on power and wealth?
10. IN what way does Xenophon provide a different view of Athens than Thucydides did?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the three great Greek tragedy writers, Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides. Each of these writers was from a different period and the state of the Athenian society was reflected in their writing and beliefs. How does this come through in their plays?
Essay Topic 2
The reality of the mind affected Greek art and architecture. This reality was responsible for the way the Greeks viewed things and saw things. Comment on the statement and explain how. Why does the statement approach the Greek way of approaching a problem?
Essay Topic 3
The ancient Romans are said to have come closest to the accomplishments of the Greeks. Explain why? How did the ancient Roman society differ from that of the Greeks? What contribution did the ancient Romans make to civilization?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)