|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aeschylus was ______________________.
2. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
3. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
4. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
5. The tragedies of Aeschylus present death and suffering in a way that __________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The Retreat of the Ten Thousand was Xenophon's claim to fame. What was it?
2. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
3. Sophocles and Aeschylus lived in different times in Athens. How did the Athens of Sophocles differ from the Athens of Aeschylus?
4. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
5. Who are the four great tragedy writers?
6. What were Thucydides' views on power and wealth?
7. How did the religion of the ancient Greeks develop?
8. Why did Euripides write Trojan Women?
9. Why did Thucydides write a book on the war between Athens and Sparta?
10. What are the similarities between Macbeth and the tragedies of Aeschylus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why can't mankind achieve the balance and greatness that the Greeks had? What is this balance and why can't it be re-achieved? How did it lead to the greatness of the ancient Greek society and their contributions to the world?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of viewing things as part of a whole? How did this result in balance? How did this contribute to the greatness of the Greek society and thinkers?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom and liberty were the backbone of the ancient Athenian society. People prided themselves on their lifestyle and thinking. Explain what the role of freedom and liberty meant in ancient Athens. Would Athens have become the cradle of Western Civilization without these freedoms? Would they have achieved the great heights that they did achieve? Why or why not?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)