|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
2. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
3. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
4. Xenophon is famous for his book called __________________________________.
5. Which of the following terms applies to the religion of the ancient Greeks?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the elements of Greek comedy and how it compares to modern comedy. Would a modern audience understand the mockery and satire? Do you think that modern audiences are as politically and culturally aware as the ancient Greeks were?
Essay Topic 2
The reality of the mind affected Greek art and architecture. This reality was responsible for the way the Greeks viewed things and saw things. Comment on the statement and explain how. Why does the statement approach the Greek way of approaching a problem?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the elements of Greek tragedy and why it is so enjoyable to the audience. What is it that appeals to the audience? Why isn't it sad or depressing?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)