|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hamilton compare the work of Aristophanes to?
2. What had the most freedom as an artist?
3. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
4. The Buddhist artist ________________________.
5. What did the world of the dead represent to the ancient Egyptians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who basically engaged in intellectual discussions?
2. Who was Aristophanes?
3. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
4. What were Thucydides' views on power and wealth?
5. Who were the imponderables?
6. What are the major differences between Gilbert and Aristophanes?
7. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
8. Before the rise of Athens, Egypt was the greatest civilization. What were the characteristics of this civilization?
9. Why is it said that Pindar looked toward the past?
10. What was the world's first Academy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why didn't the ancient Greeks see any contradictions in their practice of slavery and their emphasis on freedom? What were their views of slaves? When did they first become concerned with the issue of slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Why can't mankind achieve the balance and greatness that the Greeks had? What is this balance and why can't it be re-achieved? How did it lead to the greatness of the ancient Greek society and their contributions to the world?
Essay Topic 3
How did today's society, with its emphasis on the individual, compare to that of the ancient Greeks? How does the modern approach differ from that of the Greek's? Why can or can't modern society achieve what the Greeks did in the way that the Greeks did it?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)