|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Herodotus was the first Greek _______________________________.
2. According to Pericles, _________________________.
3. Opposition to slavery was open and evident in the time of ______________.
4. Which of the following is not one of the plays of Aristophanes?
5. What was the crime that Socrates committed that resulted in his execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
2. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
3. What were the characteristics of the ancient world in which Athens existed?
4. What are the major differences between Gilbert and Aristophanes?
5. What did Aristophanes and Gilbert have in common?
6. What is the main characteristic of Greek architecture of the time?
7. What indication is there that the lives of the Greeks were different than the lives of the Egyptians?
8. As stated in Laws and other writings of the time, what was the function of the priest?
9. Before the rise of Athens, Egypt was the greatest civilization. What were the characteristics of this civilization?
10. How does Greek drama compare to Shakespearean drama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did today's society, with its emphasis on the individual, compare to that of the ancient Greeks? How does the modern approach differ from that of the Greek's? Why can or can't modern society achieve what the Greeks did in the way that the Greeks did it?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference between the mind and the spirit, as discussed in the book. What activities are belong to which realm and why? Why is the distinction important? How did the Athenians come to make this distinction?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom and liberty were the backbone of the ancient Athenian society. People prided themselves on their lifestyle and thinking. Explain what the role of freedom and liberty meant in ancient Athens. Would Athens have become the cradle of Western Civilization without these freedoms? Would they have achieved the great heights that they did achieve? Why or why not?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)