|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
2. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
3. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
4. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
5. Aristophanes is described as _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the world's first Academy?
2. What is the Western view of art?
3. What were the characteristics of the austere school of writing?
4. Who were the imponderables?
5. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
6. Who was Aristophanes?
7. Who basically engaged in intellectual discussions?
8. How does Greek writing compare to English writing?
9. What is meant by the new civilization that Athens created?
10. Why is it said that Pindar looked toward the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why didn't the ancient Greeks see any contradictions in their practice of slavery and their emphasis on freedom? What were their views of slaves? When did they first become concerned with the issue of slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Athens is called the cradle of Western Civilization. What does this mean and why do people say this? What is the significance of ancient Athens to Western civilization and why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the elements of Greek comedy and how it compares to modern comedy. Would a modern audience understand the mockery and satire? Do you think that modern audiences are as politically and culturally aware as the ancient Greeks were?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)