|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
2. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
3. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
4. Those who are primarily concerned with the spiritual become ___________.
5. What was not a function of the chorus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
2. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
3. What did Aristophanes and Gilbert have in common?
4. What were the characteristics of the austere school of writing?
5. What was the world's first Academy?
6. Who is Herodotus?
7. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
8. How did Euripides treat religion?
9. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
10. What were the characteristics of the ancient world in which Athens existed?
Essay Topic 1
Why can't mankind achieve the balance and greatness that the Greeks had? What is this balance and why can't it be re-achieved? How did it lead to the greatness of the ancient Greek society and their contributions to the world?
Essay Topic 2
What is the austere school to which Pindar belonged? What are the implications of this school? What were the effects of this school and why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how drama at the Theater of Dionysus was a form of religious worship. Why didn't the people have their religious needs satisfied by their gods and goddesses? What did they find in the theater that they didn't find in the temples?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)