|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greeks had different rules of standards that applied to different people. This is evidence of their ________________.
2. The Athenian audience of Aristophanes ___________________________.
3. The Greeks classified Pindar in the ________________________.
4. The priests of ancient Egypt _____________________________.
5. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
2. What is the main characteristic of Greek architecture of the time?
3. What was the Greek attitude toward writing?
4. What did Aristophanes and Gilbert have in common?
5. As stated in Laws and other writings of the time, what was the function of the priest?
6. What was Herodotus' manner of presentation?
7. What was the Greek attitude toward slavery?
8. Who were the imponderables?
9. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
10. What is meant by the new civilization that Athens created?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why didn't the ancient Greeks see any contradictions in their practice of slavery and their emphasis on freedom? What were their views of slaves? When did they first become concerned with the issue of slavery?
Essay Topic 2
How did today's society, with its emphasis on the individual, compare to that of the ancient Greeks? How does the modern approach differ from that of the Greek's? Why can or can't modern society achieve what the Greeks did in the way that the Greeks did it?
Essay Topic 3
The ancient Romans are said to have come closest to the accomplishments of the Greeks. Explain why? How did the ancient Roman society differ from that of the Greeks? What contribution did the ancient Romans make to civilization?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)