|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Herodotus is known as ______________.
2. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
3. Those who are primarily concerned with the spiritual become ___________.
4. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
5. In Egypt ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
2. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death and where one would go after life?
3. How does Greek writing compare to English writing?
4. What was the role of the chorus in the comedies of Aristophanes?
5. What was the Greek attitude toward writing?
6. Who is Herodotus?
7. What are the major differences between Gilbert and Aristophanes?
8. How did Herodotus report the facts in his writings?
9. What is meant by the new civilization that Athens created?
10. What was Herodotus' manner of presentation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reality of the mind affected Greek art and architecture. This reality was responsible for the way the Greeks viewed things and saw things. Comment on the statement and explain how. Why does the statement approach the Greek way of approaching a problem?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of viewing things as part of a whole? How did this result in balance? How did this contribute to the greatness of the Greek society and thinkers?
Essay Topic 3
The ancient Romans are said to have come closest to the accomplishments of the Greeks. Explain why? How did the ancient Roman society differ from that of the Greeks? What contribution did the ancient Romans make to civilization?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)