|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
2. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
3. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
4. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
5. What was the major issue in the war with the Persians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who basically engaged in intellectual discussions?
2. What are the major differences between Gilbert and Aristophanes?
3. Why did the Peloponnesian War take place?
4. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
5. The Greeks were firmly rooted in reality. How did this make them appear?
6. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
7. How did the religion of the ancient Greeks develop?
8. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
9. What was Herodotus' manner of presentation?
10. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athens is called the cradle of Western Civilization. What does this mean and why do people say this? What is the significance of ancient Athens to Western civilization and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the elements of Greek comedy and how it compares to modern comedy. Would a modern audience understand the mockery and satire? Do you think that modern audiences are as politically and culturally aware as the ancient Greeks were?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how drama at the Theater of Dionysus was a form of religious worship. Why didn't the people have their religious needs satisfied by their gods and goddesses? What did they find in the theater that they didn't find in the temples?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)