|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
2. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
3. What was the major issue in the war with the Persians?
4. In Egypt ___________________________.
5. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the imponderables?
2. What is the Western view of art?
3. Why is it said that Pindar looked toward the past?
4. Who is Herodotus?
5. What did the literature of ancient Greece indicate about the relationships between the individual and the state?
6. What is meant by the new civilization that Athens created?
7. What were the characteristics of the austere school of writing?
8. Explain the way of the spirit.
9. How does Greek writing compare to English writing?
10. How does Greek drama compare to Shakespearean drama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are your impressions of the ancient Greeks and their accomplishments? Do you think they can or have been duplicated? Why or why not? Do you think they will every be duplicated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference between the mind and the spirit, as discussed in the book. What activities are belong to which realm and why? Why is the distinction important? How did the Athenians come to make this distinction?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of viewing things as part of a whole? How did this result in balance? How did this contribute to the greatness of the Greek society and thinkers?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)