|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first games, contests and competitions were held in _____________.
2. The first scientists were the _________________.
3. Before the development of Athens, which group handled intellectual activities?
4. What was not a function of the chorus?
5. What word best describes the ancient Athenians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hamilton feel that Greek writers have not been copied by writers of other countries as Greek sculptor and architecture has?
2. How does Greek writing compare to English writing?
3. How does Greek drama compare to Shakespearean drama?
4. Who was Aristophanes?
5. The Greeks were firmly rooted in reality. How did this make them appear?
6. How did Herodotus report the facts in his writings?
7. Why was it surprising that the ancient Greeks were scientists?
8. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
9. Who basically engaged in intellectual discussions?
10. As stated in Laws and other writings of the time, what was the function of the priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why didn't the ancient Greeks see any contradictions in their practice of slavery and their emphasis on freedom? What were their views of slaves? When did they first become concerned with the issue of slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Why can't mankind achieve the balance and greatness that the Greeks had? What is this balance and why can't it be re-achieved? How did it lead to the greatness of the ancient Greek society and their contributions to the world?
Essay Topic 3
What are your impressions of the ancient Greeks and their accomplishments? Do you think they can or have been duplicated? Why or why not? Do you think they will every be duplicated? Why or why not?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)