|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
2. The literature indicates that life differed in Athens, as compared to Egypt, by which century?
3. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
4. In Egypt ___________________________.
5. Which of the following is not a name associated with the Athens civilization of this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the poetry of Pindar described as musical?
2. Who basically engaged in intellectual discussions?
3. What did Aristophanes and Gilbert have in common?
4. Explain the way of the spirit.
5. What was the role of the chorus in the comedies of Aristophanes?
6. What were the characteristics of the ancient world in which Athens existed?
7. Who were the imponderables?
8. What did the literature of ancient Greece indicate about the relationships between the individual and the state?
9. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death and where one would go after life?
10. Who was Aristophanes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What factors led to the fall of the Greek city-states? They were rich and powerful. What effect did their ambitions have on their attitudes and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the early Greek writers were concerned with the issues of power and wealth and war. Explain how power and wealth lead to war. What is it that a nation is fighting for and why? Apply this to the situation of Athens and Sparta.
Essay Topic 3
The ancient Romans are said to have come closest to the accomplishments of the Greeks. Explain why? How did the ancient Roman society differ from that of the Greeks? What contribution did the ancient Romans make to civilization?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)