|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poetic license ________________________________________.
2. The Athenian audience of Aristophanes ___________________________.
3. What word best describes the ancient Athenians?
4. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
5. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
2. Who basically engaged in intellectual discussions?
3. What was the Greek attitude toward writing?
4. What indication is there that the lives of the Greeks were different than the lives of the Egyptians?
5. What is the Western view of art?
6. Who were the imponderables?
7. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death and where one would go after life?
8. What was Herodotus' manner of presentation?
9. The Greeks were firmly rooted in reality. How did this make them appear?
10. Who was Aristophanes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did today's society, with its emphasis on the individual, compare to that of the ancient Greeks? How does the modern approach differ from that of the Greek's? Why can or can't modern society achieve what the Greeks did in the way that the Greeks did it?
Essay Topic 2
The Eastern civilizations were totally different than the Athenian civilization. They emphasized different things and had a different life style. Compare and contrast the ancient Eastern civilization, as given by ancient Egypt, with the civilization established in Athens.
Essay Topic 3
What factors led to the fall of the Greek city-states? They were rich and powerful. What effect did their ambitions have on their attitudes and actions?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)