|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
2. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
3. Hamilton compares reading Aristophanes to reading a _________________.
4. Which of the following names is not considered to be one of the imponderables?
5. The Hindu artist ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Herodotus?
2. What was Herodotus' manner of presentation?
3. How does Greek writing compare to English writing?
4. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death and where one would go after life?
5. Why is the poetry of Pindar described as musical?
6. Why is it said that Pindar looked toward the past?
7. Who was Aristophanes?
8. How does Greek drama compare to Shakespearean drama?
9. Who basically engaged in intellectual discussions?
10. Why does Hamilton feel that Greek writers have not been copied by writers of other countries as Greek sculptor and architecture has?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athens is called the cradle of Western Civilization. What does this mean and why do people say this? What is the significance of ancient Athens to Western civilization and why?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Renaissance compare to the culture and achievements of the ancient Greeks? What was missing? Why couldn't they duplicate what the Greeks had?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom and liberty were the backbone of the ancient Athenian society. People prided themselves on their lifestyle and thinking. Explain what the role of freedom and liberty meant in ancient Athens. Would Athens have become the cradle of Western Civilization without these freedoms? Would they have achieved the great heights that they did achieve? Why or why not?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)