|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The term used to describe the Greek artist is ______________________.
2. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
3. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
4. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
5. The first scientists were the _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the imponderables?
2. Before the rise of Athens, Egypt was the greatest civilization. What were the characteristics of this civilization?
3. How does Greek writing compare to English writing?
4. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
5. What were the characteristics of the ancient world in which Athens existed?
6. Why does Hamilton feel that Greek writers have not been copied by writers of other countries as Greek sculptor and architecture has?
7. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death and where one would go after life?
8. The Greeks were firmly rooted in reality. How did this make them appear?
9. Who was Aristophanes?
10. As stated in Laws and other writings of the time, what was the function of the priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference between the mind and the spirit, as discussed in the book. What activities are belong to which realm and why? Why is the distinction important? How did the Athenians come to make this distinction?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the early Greek writers were concerned with the issues of power and wealth and war. Explain how power and wealth lead to war. What is it that a nation is fighting for and why? Apply this to the situation of Athens and Sparta.
Essay Topic 3
Why can't mankind achieve the balance and greatness that the Greeks had? What is this balance and why can't it be re-achieved? How did it lead to the greatness of the ancient Greek society and their contributions to the world?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)