Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
2. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
3. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
4. Those who are primarily concerned with the spiritual become ___________.
5. What was not a function of the chorus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
2. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
3. What did Aristophanes and Gilbert have in common?
4. What were the characteristics of the austere school of writing?
5. What was the world's first Academy?
6. Who is Herodotus?
7. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
8. How did Euripides treat religion?
9. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
10. What were the characteristics of the ancient world in which Athens existed?
It is said that if one wants to learn the ethics and values of a society, one should examine the work of the dramatists and writers of the time. Why? What is it that is reflected in the literature that can't be found anywhere else? Is this also true of the ancient Greeks?
How does the Renaissance compare to the culture and achievements of the ancient Greeks? What was missing? Why couldn't they duplicate what the Greeks had?
What are your impressions of the ancient Greeks and their accomplishments? Do you think they can or have been duplicated? Why or why not? Do you think they will every be duplicated? Why or why not?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)