|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greek artist was __________________________.
2. What was characteristic of Greek art?
3. The Greeks classified Pindar in the ________________________.
4. Who, among the following, was a teacher?
5. The Greeks _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the characteristics of the austere school of writing?
2. Explain the way of the spirit.
3. How does Greek drama compare to Shakespearean drama?
4. What was the Greek attitude toward writing?
5. How did Herodotus report the facts in his writings?
6. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death and where one would go after life?
7. What is meant by the new civilization that Athens created?
8. How does Greek writing compare to English writing?
9. What was the world's first Academy?
10. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reality of the mind affected Greek art and architecture. This reality was responsible for the way the Greeks viewed things and saw things. Comment on the statement and explain how. Why does the statement approach the Greek way of approaching a problem?
Essay Topic 2
The ancient Romans are said to have come closest to the accomplishments of the Greeks. Explain why? How did the ancient Roman society differ from that of the Greeks? What contribution did the ancient Romans make to civilization?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the early Greek writers were concerned with the issues of power and wealth and war. Explain how power and wealth lead to war. What is it that a nation is fighting for and why? Apply this to the situation of Athens and Sparta.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)