|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not a similarity between Macbeth and Aeschylus?
(a) there was an atmosphere of evil and doom
(b) there was an atmosphere of death
(c) the castles were bright and cheerful places
(d) it was always night at the castle
2. Xenophon felt that it was significant ________________________________.
(a) to see what honorable men did for amusement
(b) that men should work
(c) that there should be leisure time
(d) that men should participate in the games
3. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
(a) useful to others
(b) interesting to read
(c) ornately written
(d) factual without any use to others
4. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
(a) the qualities the individual shared with mankind
(b) the personal qualities of the individual
(c) his lifestyle
(d) the manner of presentation
5. Viewing things as part of the whole applies to all but _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
2. During the war, Thucydides was _______________________.
3. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
4. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
5. Aeschylus was ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
2. What are the similarities between Macbeth and the tragedies of Aeschylus?
3. What does it mean to say that the Greeks are concerned with life and abstractions from life?
4. Explain why the Theater of Dionysus was a religious experience for the audience.
5. Why did the Peloponnesian War take place?
6. How are the characters in a Greek play viewed?
7. How did the religion of the ancient Greeks develop?
8. In what way did Aeschylus change Greek drama?
9. The Retreat of the Ten Thousand was Xenophon's claim to fame. What was it?
10. Why did Thucydides write a book on the war between Athens and Sparta?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)