|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
(a) power brought about its own destruction
(b) wealth attracted the poorer to attack
(c) the power of the Spartans had to be stopped
(d) the power of the Athenians had to be stopped
2. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
(a) poetic expression
(b) great intellect
(c) beutiful workmanship
3. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
(c) fair hamony
4. During the war, Thucydides was _______________________.
(a) a diplomat
(b) an Athenian general
(c) a Spartan general
(d) a businessman
5. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
(a) they were times of darkness and defeat
(b) thrilling things were happening
(c) times were prosperous
(d) they were periods of great military victories
Short Answer Questions
1. In Greek drama, the characters are viewed as ______________________.
2. The tragedies of Aeschylus present death and suffering in a way that __________________________.
3. Viewing things as part of the whole applies to all but _______________.
4. What characterizes the tragedies of Aeschylus?
5. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
2. Why did Thucydides write a book on the war between Athens and Sparta?
3. What are the similarities between Macbeth and the tragedies of Aeschylus?
4. Sophocles and Aeschylus lived in different times in Athens. How did the Athens of Sophocles differ from the Athens of Aeschylus?
5. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
6. In what ways does Sophocles differ from Aeschylus?
7. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
8. What was the outcome of Peloponnesian War?
9. What does it mean to say that the Greeks are concerned with life and abstractions from life?
10. Who are the four great tragedy writers?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)