|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(a) Oedipus Rex
(c) Oesipus at Colonus
2. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
(a) they were executed
(b) they were released after the war's end
(c) they were exchanged for enemy prisoners
(d) they became slaves
3. After traveling, Xenophon went to live in _____________.
4. Xenophon felt that ___________________________________.
(a) disputes should be settled by war
(b) diplomacy should be used to avert war
(c) all states should seek power
(d) states should be orientated toward war
5. Which tragedian is considered to be the most modern?
Short Answer Questions
1. Xenophon felt that it was significant ________________________________.
2. Euripides wrote his plays how many years after Aeschylus?
3. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
4. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
5. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The Retreat of the Ten Thousand was Xenophon's claim to fame. What was it?
2. What were Xenophon's views on war?
3. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
4. What are the four elements in every tragedy?
5. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
6. In what ways does Sophocles differ from Aeschylus?
7. Who are the four great tragedy writers?
8. Sophocles and Aeschylus lived in different times in Athens. How did the Athens of Sophocles differ from the Athens of Aeschylus?
9. Why did Thucydides write a book on the war between Athens and Sparta?
10. What were Thucydides' views on power and wealth?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)