|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Greeks were concerned with _______________________.
(a) mind only
(b) both mind and spirit
(c) physical prowess
(d) spirit only
2. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) City of Freedom
(b) City of Love
(c) Mighty City
(d) Tyrant City
3. In Greek drama, the characters are viewed as ______________________.
(a) as scenery
(b) as separate and distinct individuals
(c) part of the whole
(d) as separate and individual entities
4. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(a) inadequately armed
(c) poor fighters
5. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
(a) they were periods of great military victories
(b) thrilling things were happening
(c) times were prosperous
(d) they were times of darkness and defeat
Short Answer Questions
1. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
2. Compared to the other tragedians, Euripides is described as the _________________.
3. Xenophon suggested that _____________________________________.
4. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
5. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The Retreat of the Ten Thousand was Xenophon's claim to fame. What was it?
2. How did the religion of the ancient Greeks develop?
3. Why did Thucydides write a book on the war between Athens and Sparta?
4. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
5. How did Euripides treat religion?
6. In what way did Aeschylus change Greek drama?
7. What are the similarities between Macbeth and the tragedies of Aeschylus?
8. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
9. Where do the subjects of Greek tragedy come from?
10. Sophocles and Aeschylus lived in different times in Athens. How did the Athens of Sophocles differ from the Athens of Aeschylus?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)