|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
(c) the suffering of the soul
(d) physical pain
2. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
(a) makes people cry
(b) is a mixture of comedy and sadness
(c) makes people sad
(d) is a mixture of pain and pleasure
3. Which tragedian is considered to be the most modern?
4. Aeschylus believed in the _____________________.
(a) cruelty of man
(b) abuse of power
(c) wrath of God
(d) justice of God
5. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
(a) the Athenian culture and its contirubtions to the world ended
(b) Sparta adopted the Athenian culture
(c) Sparta merged wih Athens
(d) the Athenian culture spread
Short Answer Questions
1. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
2. Tragedy in drama began with whom?
3. The Greeks viewed things ___________________.
4. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
5. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Thucydides write a book on the war between Athens and Sparta?
2. In what way did Aeschylus change Greek drama?
3. Why did the Peloponnesian War take place?
4. How did Sophocles and Aeschylus differ on their views of freedom and law?
5. Why did Euripides write Trojan Women?
6. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
7. Where do the subjects of Greek tragedy come from?
8. What is a characteristic of the characters of Aeschylus?
9. What was the outcome of Peloponnesian War?
10. To many Greeks, prosperity and wealth are the cause of misery. What was the cause of misery to Aeschylus?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)