|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(d) John Milton
2. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
(a) fair hamony
3. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
(a) look for a way out
(b) avoid their fate
(c) endure their fate because there is no way out
(d) fight their fate
4. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
(a) they were exchanged for enemy prisoners
(b) they were released after the war's end
(c) they were executed
(d) they became slaves
5. Of the ninety plays that Aeschylus wrote, how many have survived?
(c) twenty three
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term does not apply to the Theater of Dionysus?
2. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
3. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
4. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
5. Xenophon felt that it was significant ________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. IN what way does Xenophon provide a different view of Athens than Thucydides did?
2. What are the similarities between Macbeth and the tragedies of Aeschylus?
3. How did Euripides treat religion?
4. In what ways does Sophocles differ from Aeschylus?
5. How did Sophocles and Aeschylus differ on their views of freedom and law?
6. How are the characters in a Greek play viewed?
7. What were Thucydides' views on power and wealth?
8. Why was Xenophon exiled by Athens?
9. What are the characteristics of Greek tragedy?
10. The Retreat of the Ten Thousand was Xenophon's claim to fame. What was it?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)