|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Greek architecture of the time was _________________________________.
(a) highly ornate
(b) a simple expression of the intellect
(c) followed the style of the Egyptians
(d) influenced by the East
2. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death?
(a) good living conditions
(b) belief in God
(c) the fairness of the ruler
(d) the misery of everyday life
3. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
(a) not important in the life of the ancient Greeks
(c) represented by the gods and goddesses they believed in
4. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
5. Before the development of Athens, which group handled intellectual activities?
(b) the common man
(c) the priests
(d) anyone who wanted to
Short Answer Questions
1. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
2. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
3. The freedom of Athenian thought and expression led to ____________________.
4. What did the world of the dead represent to the ancient Egyptians?
5. What was not a function of the chorus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the characteristics of the austere school of writing?
2. Why was it surprising that the ancient Greeks were scientists?
3. Who basically engaged in intellectual discussions?
4. What is the main characteristic of Greek architecture of the time?
5. Before the rise of Athens, Egypt was the greatest civilization. What were the characteristics of this civilization?
6. What was the Greek attitude toward slavery?
7. What are the major differences between Gilbert and Aristophanes?
8. How does Greek drama compare to Shakespearean drama?
9. How did Herodotus report the facts in his writings?
10. Who is Herodotus?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)