|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
(a) they would destroy the body
(b) he should have with him the same kind of things that he had in life
(c) it didn't matter what he was surrounded with
(d) the body must return to dust
2. Hamilton compares reading Aristophanes to reading a _________________.
(a) sports page
(b) comic book
(d) romance novel
3. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
(a) intellectual activities
(b) the dead
(c) the living
4. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
(a) both are just as risque
(b) Gilbert is more restrained
(c) neither is risque
(d) Gilbert is bawdier
5. According to Pericles, _________________________.
(a) repetition is good
(b) words are to be used sparingly
(c) the longer a passage is, the better it is
(d) writing should be ornate
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the major issue in the war with the Persians?
2. The artist conceptualizes reality in the form of _______________________.
3. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death?
4. What was characteristic of Greek art?
5. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death and where one would go after life?
2. Why is the poetry of Pindar described as musical?
3. How did Herodotus report the facts in his writings?
4. What is the Western view of art?
5. How does Greek drama compare to Shakespearean drama?
6. Who basically engaged in intellectual discussions?
7. What were the characteristics of the ancient world in which Athens existed?
8. What was Herodotus' manner of presentation?
9. What is the main characteristic of Greek architecture of the time?
10. Who is Herodotus?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)