|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
2. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
(a) the dead
(b) the living
(c) intellectual activities
3. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
(b) full of symbolism
(d) full of imagery
4. One way to learn the values of a society is to look at ______________________.
(b) its literature
(d) daily life
5. What was characteristic of Greek art?
(a) mind stronger than spirit
(b) mind and spirit in equal balance
(c) spirit stronger than mind
(d) mind and spirit have no effect on art
Short Answer Questions
1. Greek writing is based on __________________.
2. The Greek architecture of the time was _________________________________.
3. What did the world of the dead represent to the ancient Egyptians?
4. The Greeks had different rules of standards that applied to different people. This is evidence of their ________________.
5. The Greek artist was __________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it said that Pindar looked toward the past?
2. Who were the imponderables?
3. What were the characteristics of the ancient world in which Athens existed?
4. Why was it surprising that the ancient Greeks were scientists?
5. As stated in Laws and other writings of the time, what was the function of the priest?
6. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
7. What was the world's first Academy?
8. What is the main characteristic of Greek architecture of the time?
9. What was the Greek attitude toward slavery?
10. How does Greek writing compare to English writing?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)