|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
(a) wanted to do their own thinking
(b) delegated intellectual things to the teachers
(c) were not interested in intellectual thinking
(d) were not intereted in intellectual discussions
2. What was the crime that Socrates committed that resulted in his execution?
(b) corruption of youth and introduction of new gods
(c) criticism of the king
(d) support of the Egyptians
3. The works of Aristophanes were _______________________.
(a) for the upper classes only
(b) enjoyed by both men and women
(c) for athletes only
(d) for men only
4. What was the major issue in the war with the Persians?
(a) national boundaries
(b) ownership of slaves
(d) freedom and liberty
5. The priests of ancient Egypt _____________________________.
(a) were powerless
(b) yielded to the power of the king
(c) guarded their position of power as intellectuals
(d) taught the common man
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
2. Which city did Pindar live in?
3. The games and competitions were considered so important by the Greeks that __________________________________.
4. The Hindu artist ________________________.
5. The Greeks had different rules of standards that applied to different people. This is evidence of their ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What indication is there that the lives of the Greeks were different than the lives of the Egyptians?
2. What was Herodotus' manner of presentation?
3. As stated in Laws and other writings of the time, what was the function of the priest?
4. What did the literature of ancient Greece indicate about the relationships between the individual and the state?
5. What is the Western view of art?
6. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
7. Why was it surprising that the ancient Greeks were scientists?
8. What is meant by the new civilization that Athens created?
9. Who were the imponderables?
10. The Greeks were firmly rooted in reality. How did this make them appear?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)