|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a name associated with the Athens civilization of this time?
2. The Greek artist was __________________________.
(b) limited by his mind and what he saw
(c) not creative
(d) dictated to by the priests
3. Which of the following would you expect to give the shortest account of a situation?
(b) the Greeks
(c) the Hebrews
(d) the Bible
4. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
(a) use their power to help others
(b) abuse the power
(c) use their power to improve their own position
(d) ignore their responsibilities
5. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
(a) easiest to read and translate
(c) most difficult to read and translate
(d) easiest to read but hardest to translate
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greeks _________________________.
2. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
3. The war with the Persians ended with the battle at ___________________.
4. What was characteristic of Greek art?
5. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the characteristics of the austere school of writing?
2. Why is it said that Pindar looked toward the past?
3. Before the rise of Athens, Egypt was the greatest civilization. What were the characteristics of this civilization?
4. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
5. What did Aristophanes and Gilbert have in common?
6. What were the characteristics of the ancient world in which Athens existed?
7. The Greeks were firmly rooted in reality. How did this make them appear?
8. What was the Greek attitude toward slavery?
9. What is meant by the new civilization that Athens created?
10. Explain the way of the spirit.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)