|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
(a) Gilbert is bawdier
(b) Gilbert is more restrained
(c) both are just as risque
(d) neither is risque
2. The term used to describe the Greek artist is ______________________.
(c) spiritual materialists
3. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
(a) the teachers were the literary class
(b) the priests were the literary class
(c) there was no literary class
(d) there was a literary class
4. In Egypt ___________________________.
(a) the priests dictated the pattern for art
(b) the artist had total freedom of expression
(c) the artist had some freedom of expression
(d) there was no interest in art
5. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
(a) the history of the godw
(b) the war with Sparta
(c) his travels and the Persian War
(d) life in Athens
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a name associated with the Athens civilization of this time?
2. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
3. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
4. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
5. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Greek attitude toward writing?
2. Why is it said that Pindar looked toward the past?
3. Who was Aristophanes?
4. What are the major differences between Gilbert and Aristophanes?
5. Who were the imponderables?
6. Explain the way of the spirit.
7. As stated in Laws and other writings of the time, what was the function of the priest?
8. What is the Western view of art?
9. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death and where one would go after life?
10. How did Herodotus report the facts in his writings?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)