|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One way to learn the values of a society is to look at ______________________.
(c) its literature
(d) daily life
2. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
(a) was to teach the population
(b) was to function as advisors
(c) was limited to matters of religion only
(d) covered all intellectual activitries
3. How did the Greeks feel about slavery?
(a) It was an accepted way of life
(b) They opposed slavery
(c) It was evil
(d) There were no slaves
4. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
5. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
(a) both are just as risque
(b) Gilbert is bawdier
(c) neither is risque
(d) Gilbert is more restrained
Short Answer Questions
1. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
2. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
3. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
4. What was characteristic of Greek art?
5. The priests of ancient Egypt _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it said that Pindar looked toward the past?
2. The Greeks were firmly rooted in reality. How did this make them appear?
3. What was the Greek attitude toward slavery?
4. What was the role of the chorus in the comedies of Aristophanes?
5. How does Greek drama compare to Shakespearean drama?
6. Who were the imponderables?
7. Who was Aristophanes?
8. What was the world's first Academy?
9. What are the major differences between Gilbert and Aristophanes?
10. What is the Western view of art?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)