|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Poetic license ________________________________________.
(a) allows the poet to write in whatever way he wants
(b) calls for simple statements
(c) requires briefness
(d) requires facts
2. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the kind
(b) the intellectuals
(c) the athletes of the games
(d) the common man
3. The Hindu artist ________________________.
(a) had the most freedom
(b) was dictated to by Hindu priests
(c) had limited freedom
(d) had no freedom
4. Who does Hamilton compare the work of Aristophanes to?
5. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
2. The works of Aristophanes were _______________________.
3. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
4. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
5. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Before the rise of Athens, Egypt was the greatest civilization. What were the characteristics of this civilization?
2. Why is it said that Pindar looked toward the past?
3. Why does Hamilton feel that Greek writers have not been copied by writers of other countries as Greek sculptor and architecture has?
4. Who was Aristophanes?
5. What did Aristophanes and Gilbert have in common?
6. How did Herodotus report the facts in his writings?
7. Why is the poetry of Pindar described as musical?
8. Who were the imponderables?
9. How does Greek writing compare to English writing?
10. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death and where one would go after life?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)