|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had the most freedom as an artist?
(a) the Hindu
(b) the Egyptian
(c) the Buddhist
(d) the Greek
2. The priests of ancient Egypt _____________________________.
(a) were powerless
(b) taught the common man
(c) yielded to the power of the king
(d) guarded their position of power as intellectuals
3. What was important to Greek poets?
4. Those who are primarily concerned with the spiritual become ___________.
5. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
(a) delegated intellectual things to the teachers
(b) were not intereted in intellectual discussions
(c) were not interested in intellectual thinking
(d) wanted to do their own thinking
Short Answer Questions
1. Plato viewed the Greek people as ___________________.
2. Who, among the following, was a teacher?
3. What was the major issue in the war with the Persians?
4. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
5. Compared to the Hebrew writing in the Bible, Greek writing is ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death and where one would go after life?
2. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
3. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
4. What were the characteristics of the ancient world in which Athens existed?
5. How did Herodotus report the facts in his writings?
6. As stated in Laws and other writings of the time, what was the function of the priest?
7. The Greeks were firmly rooted in reality. How did this make them appear?
8. What indication is there that the lives of the Greeks were different than the lives of the Egyptians?
9. Who were the imponderables?
10. What was the Greek attitude toward writing?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)