|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Herodotus reported _____________________________.
(a) the facts whether he believed them or not
(b) anything he heard
(c) only what he found and substantiated
(d) only the facts he velieved
2. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
3. The literature indicates that life differed in Athens, as compared to Egypt, by which century?
4. The priests of ancient Egypt _____________________________.
(a) taught the common man
(b) were powerless
(c) yielded to the power of the king
(d) guarded their position of power as intellectuals
5. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
(a) there was no literary class
(b) the teachers were the literary class
(c) the priests were the literary class
(d) there was a literary class
Short Answer Questions
1. The first scientists were the _________________.
2. The war with the Persians ended with the battle at ___________________.
3. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
4. The artist conceptualizes reality in the form of _______________________.
5. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Herodotus' manner of presentation?
2. What were the characteristics of the ancient world in which Athens existed?
3. What were the characteristics of the austere school of writing?
4. What is the Western view of art?
5. What is the main characteristic of Greek architecture of the time?
6. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
7. Who basically engaged in intellectual discussions?
8. What was the world's first Academy?
9. Who is Herodotus?
10. Why was it surprising that the ancient Greeks were scientists?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)