|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
2. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
(a) was to function as advisors
(b) was to teach the population
(c) was limited to matters of religion only
(d) covered all intellectual activitries
3. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
4. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
(a) wherever men met
(b) in the schools
(c) in the temples
(d) in the forums
5. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
(a) easier to interpret
(b) very ornate
(c) about the same
(d) much simpler
Short Answer Questions
1. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
2. One way to learn the values of a society is to look at ______________________.
3. The Greeks classified Pindar in the ________________________.
4. The war with the Persians ended with the battle at ___________________.
5. What had the most freedom as an artist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it surprising that the ancient Greeks were scientists?
2. What did Aristophanes and Gilbert have in common?
3. How did Herodotus report the facts in his writings?
4. Explain the way of the spirit.
5. What was Herodotus' manner of presentation?
6. What was the Greek attitude toward slavery?
7. The Greeks were firmly rooted in reality. How did this make them appear?
8. What is the main characteristic of Greek architecture of the time?
9. Why is the poetry of Pindar described as musical?
10. What indication is there that the lives of the Greeks were different than the lives of the Egyptians?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)