|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Compared to the Hebrew writing in the Bible, Greek writing is ______________.
(a) about the same
(d) no comparison
2. The first scientists were the _________________.
3. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
(a) was limited to matters of religion only
(b) was to teach the population
(c) covered all intellectual activitries
(d) was to function as advisors
4. The games and competitions were considered so important by the Greeks that __________________________________.
(a) they were cancelled for lack of participation
(b) they were suspended during wars and conflicts
(c) a truce of God was called at the start of the games
(d) they were only held when the king wanted them
5. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
(a) the Athenian victory over Sparta
(b) the Athenian victory over Rome
(c) the Persian victory over Athens
(d) the Athenian victory over the Persians
Short Answer Questions
1. The artist conceptualizes reality in the form of _______________________.
2. The Greeks classified Pindar in the ________________________.
3. The Greek artist was __________________________.
4. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
5. The Ancient Greeks of the time exhibited a ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Western view of art?
2. Why is the poetry of Pindar described as musical?
3. Why is the Greek artist called a spiritual materialist?
4. What was the Greek attitude toward writing?
5. As stated in Laws and other writings of the time, what was the function of the priest?
6. What is meant by the new civilization that Athens created?
7. How does Greek writing compare to English writing?
8. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death and where one would go after life?
9. What was the role of the chorus in the comedies of Aristophanes?
10. How did Herodotus report the facts in his writings?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)