|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Opposition to slavery was open and evident in the time of ______________.
2. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
(a) the living
(b) intellectual activities
(d) the dead
3. What was important to Greek poets?
4. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(b) the aristocracy
(c) the elected leaders
(d) noone in particular
5. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time Aristophanes began writing, Greek drama was ________________________.
2. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
3. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
4. The first scientists were the _________________.
5. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the way of the spirit.
2. Sophocles and Aeschylus lived in different times in Athens. How did the Athens of Sophocles differ from the Athens of Aeschylus?
3. Why is the poetry of Pindar described as musical?
4. What does it mean to say that the Greeks are concerned with life and abstractions from life?
5. Who is Herodotus?
6. Why was it surprising that the ancient Greeks were scientists?
7. How does Greek drama compare to Shakespearean drama?
8. Who were the imponderables?
9. Who are the four great tragedy writers?
10. What indication is there that the lives of the Greeks were different than the lives of the Egyptians?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)