|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
(a) Greek society
(b) how the retreat of the Ten Thousand was successful
(c) the defeat of the Persians
(d) discipline in the military
2. Aeschylus felt that the cause of misery was _____________.
3. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
4. Euripides wrote the Trojan Women to _______________________________.
(a) glorify war
(b) glorify the victors of war
(c) explain the effects of the war between Athens and Sparta
(d) show how war appears to and affects captive women
5. Before Aeschylus, Greek drama consisted of ____________________________.
(a) four actors and a chorus
(b) one actor and a chorus
(c) three actors only
(d) the chorus only
6. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
(a) the misery of the world
(b) the beauty of the world
(c) pain and suffering
(d) the reality of life
7. Which of the following is not a name associated with Greek tragedy?
8. Xenophon suggested that _____________________________________.
(a) Athens merge with Sparta
(b) Athens and Sparta fight to the bitter end
(c) there was no way to end the war
(d) Athens and Sparta hold peace talks at Delphi
9. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
(a) thrilling things were happening
(b) they were periods of great military victories
(c) times were prosperous
(d) they were times of darkness and defeat
10. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(a) Oesipus at Colonus
(d) Oedipus Rex
11. The most important oracle was at _________________.
12. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
13. Which of the following is not a play of Euripides'?
(d) Trojan Women
14. Euripides' view of religion is that _____________________.
(a) the gods were inferior to humans
(b) the gods were superior to humans
(c) the gods had to be obeyed
(d) religion and gods are ignoreed
15. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
(b) way of life
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greek gods and goddesses began with the writing of _____________________________.
2. Which role did Aeschylus not fulfill?
3. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
4. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
5. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)