|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
(a) his lifestyle
(b) the qualities the individual shared with mankind
(c) the personal qualities of the individual
(d) the manner of presentation
2. The Greek gods and goddesses began with the writing of _____________________________.
3. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
(a) physical pain
(c) the suffering of the soul
4. Which of the following is not a play of Euripides'?
(c) Trojan Women
5. The only sources of knowledge in Greece were the _______________.
6. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
(a) the ornateness of the building itself
(b) the building's relation to the hills and sea
(c) the setting
(d) the outline against the sky
7. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
(b) beutiful workmanship
(c) great intellect
(d) poetic expression
8. Euripides wrote the Trojan Women to _______________________________.
(a) glorify the victors of war
(b) glorify war
(c) explain the effects of the war between Athens and Sparta
(d) show how war appears to and affects captive women
9. Which term does not apply to the Theater of Dionysus?
(d) loss of the sense of isolation
10. Of the ninety plays that Aeschylus wrote, how many have survived?
(c) twenty three
11. According to Hamilton, tragedy is the domain of whom?
(a) comedy writers
(c) prose writers
(d) any kind of writer
12. Through Xenophon, one can view the life of the _______________________.
(c) average man
13. Thucydides felt that ___________________________________.
(a) wars were covered by broken treaties
(b) the desire for power was not a cause of war
(c) power and wealth created the desire for more power and wealth
(d) the desire for wealth was not a cause of war
14. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(d) John Milton
15. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
(a) The History of the Spartan War
(b) The History of the Athenian War
(c) The History of the Peloponnesian War
(d) The History of the Trojan War
Short Answer Questions
1. The subject of Greek tragedy came from _________________________.
2. As a young man, Xenophon was ________________________.
3. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
4. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
5. Xenophon suggested that _____________________________________.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)