|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
(a) introduces humon into the situation
(b) lets the audience draw its own conclusions
(c) doesn't deal in morales
(d) draws the moral for his audience
2. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
3. Who laid the foundation for the Greek democracy?
4. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
(a) from his father's estate
(c) ransoming a rich Persian noble
(d) by being a successful businessman
5. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
(d) way of life
6. Aeschylus had been ________________________-.
(a) a teacher at the Academy
(b) a Marathon warrior
(c) a military general
(d) a temple priest
7. The tragedies of Aeschylus present death and suffering in a way that __________________________.
(a) depresses the audience
(b) does not depress the audience
(c) makes it comical
(d) brings the audience to tears
8. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
(a) fight their fate
(b) endure their fate because there is no way out
(c) avoid their fate
(d) look for a way out
9. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
(a) great intellect
(b) beutiful workmanship
(d) poetic expression
10. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
(a) there was a lot of tragedy in everyday life
(b) Greek audiences like tear-jerkers
(c) Greek thinking revealed that there was an injustice inherent in nature
(d) life was characterized by human misery
11. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
12. Aeschylus was ______________________.
(a) the last writer of tragedy
(b) the first writer of tragedy
(c) a writer of prose
(d) a writer of mystery
13. Which term does not apply to the Theater of Dionysus?
(d) loss of the sense of isolation
14. Tragedy in drama began with whom?
15. Compared to the other tragedians, Euripides is described as the _________________.
(c) most fatal
(d) most tragic
Short Answer Questions
1. To the Greek thinkers, religion was ______________________.
2. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
3. Aeschylus believed in the _____________________.
4. Euripides' view of religion is that _____________________.
5. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)