|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
2. Which of the following is not a name associated with Greek tragedy?
3. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
(a) Greek society
(b) discipline in the military
(c) the defeat of the Persians
(d) how the retreat of the Ten Thousand was successful
4. Who laid the foundation for the Greek democracy?
5. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
6. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
(a) interesting to read
(b) ornately written
(c) useful to others
(d) factual without any use to others
7. Which of the following terms applies to the religion of the ancient Greeks?
(a) holy book
8. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
9. Which role did Aeschylus not fulfill?
(a) scenery designer
(c) costume designer
(d) theater owner
10. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
(a) they were released after the war's end
(b) they became slaves
(c) they were executed
(d) they were exchanged for enemy prisoners
11. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
(a) introduces humon into the situation
(b) doesn't deal in morales
(c) draws the moral for his audience
(d) lets the audience draw its own conclusions
12. Xenophon is famous for his book called __________________________________.
(b) The Treatise on War
(c) A History of War
(d) The History of the Peloponnesian War
13. Aeschylus was ______________________.
(a) the last writer of tragedy
(b) a writer of mystery
(c) a writer of prose
(d) the first writer of tragedy
14. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
(a) look for a way out
(b) avoid their fate
(c) endure their fate because there is no way out
(d) fight their fate
15. According to Hamilton, tragedy is the domain of whom?
(a) prose writers
(b) comedy writers
(d) any kind of writer
Short Answer Questions
1. The tragedies of Aeschylus present death and suffering in a way that __________________________.
2. Aeschylus believed in the _____________________.
3. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
4. Euripides wrote his plays how many years after Aeschylus?
5. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)