|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hamilton, Greek religion developed from _____________________________.
(a) the prophets
(b) the priests
(c) the poets, artists and philosophers
(d) the elite
2. Which of the following is not a name associated with Greek tragedy?
3. Euripides wrote the Trojan Women to _______________________________.
(a) show how war appears to and affects captive women
(b) glorify war
(c) glorify the victors of war
(d) explain the effects of the war between Athens and Sparta
4. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) Athens was weaker than Sparta
(b) both were weak
(c) Sparta was weaker than Athens
(d) both were powerful
5. After traveling, Xenophon went to live in _____________.
6. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(c) Oedipus Rex
(d) Oesipus at Colonus
7. Xenophon is famous for his book called __________________________________.
(b) The History of the Peloponnesian War
(c) A History of War
(d) The Treatise on War
8. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
9. The Greeks were concerned with _______________________.
(a) both mind and spirit
(b) physical prowess
(c) mind only
(d) spirit only
10. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
(a) discipline in the military
(b) Greek society
(c) how the retreat of the Ten Thousand was successful
(d) the defeat of the Persians
11. As a young man, Xenophon was ________________________.
(a) sent to Athens to find a wife
(b) exiled from Sparta
(c) sent to work in Athens
(d) sent to study with Socrates
12. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
(a) the building's relation to the hills and sea
(b) the setting
(c) the outline against the sky
(d) the ornateness of the building itself
13. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
(a) a great deal of violence
(b) a great struggle
(c) emotional upheaval
(d) calmness, serenity and absence of struggle
14. Which term does not apply to the Theater of Dionysus?
(b) loss of the sense of isolation
15. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
(b) physical pain
(d) the suffering of the soul
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
2. What is not a similarity between Macbeth and Aeschylus?
3. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
4. Which of the following is not a play of Euripides'?
5. Which role did Aeschylus not fulfill?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)