|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
(a) the defeat of the Persians
(b) Greek society
(c) discipline in the military
(d) how the retreat of the Ten Thousand was successful
2. Which of the following is not a name associated with Greek tragedy?
3. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
(a) Sparta adopted the Athenian culture
(b) Sparta merged wih Athens
(c) the Athenian culture and its contirubtions to the world ended
(d) the Athenian culture spread
4. Which of the following is not a play of Euripides'?
(d) Trojan Women
5. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(c) Oedipus Rex
(d) Oesipus at Colonus
6. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
(a) physical pain
(d) the suffering of the soul
7. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
(a) poetic expression
(c) beutiful workmanship
(d) great intellect
8. Which term does not apply to the Theater of Dionysus?
(b) loss of the sense of isolation
9. After traveling, Xenophon went to live in _____________.
10. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
(a) man has no cont rol over either
(b) outer change brings about inner chance
(c) outer change does not affect inner control
(d) man can control outer change
11. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
(a) thrilling things were happening
(b) times were prosperous
(c) they were times of darkness and defeat
(d) they were periods of great military victories
12. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
(a) draws the moral for his audience
(b) doesn't deal in morales
(c) introduces humon into the situation
(d) lets the audience draw its own conclusions
13. What characterizes the tragedies of Aeschylus?
(a) passive acceptance
14. Aeschylus was ______________________.
(a) a writer of mystery
(b) the first writer of tragedy
(c) the last writer of tragedy
(d) a writer of prose
15. What is the view of man?
(a) man is not helpless and controls his fate
(b) man can sometimes change his fate
(c) there is no such thing as fate
(d) man is helpless with his fate predetermined
Short Answer Questions
1. Aeschylus believed in the _____________________.
2. According to Hamilton, Greek religion developed from _____________________________.
3. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
4. The Greek gods and goddesses began with the writing of _____________________________.
5. Aeschylus had been ________________________-.
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)