|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
(a) emotional upheaval
(b) a great deal of violence
(c) calmness, serenity and absence of struggle
(d) a great struggle
2. As a young man, Xenophon was ________________________.
(a) sent to study with Socrates
(b) sent to Athens to find a wife
(c) sent to work in Athens
(d) exiled from Sparta
3. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
4. The Persian plan to defeat the Ten Thousand was to _________________________________.
(a) split the force in half
(b) kill all the officers and leaders
(c) make slaves of the leaders
(d) there was no plan
5. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
(a) life was characterized by human misery
(b) Greek thinking revealed that there was an injustice inherent in nature
(c) there was a lot of tragedy in everyday life
(d) Greek audiences like tear-jerkers
6. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) City of Freedom
(b) Tyrant City
(c) City of Love
(d) Mighty City
7. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
(c) fair hamony
8. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
(a) power brought about its own destruction
(b) the power of the Athenians had to be stopped
(c) wealth attracted the poorer to attack
(d) the power of the Spartans had to be stopped
9. After traveling, Xenophon went to live in _____________.
10. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
(a) Sparta adopted the Athenian culture
(b) the Athenian culture and its contirubtions to the world ended
(c) the Athenian culture spread
(d) Sparta merged wih Athens
11. Which role did Aeschylus not fulfill?
(a) costume designer
(b) scenery designer
(c) theater owner
12. To the Greek thinkers, religion was ______________________.
(b) a search for the truth
(c) engorced by priests
(d) accepted by all as a necessary evil
13. The Greek gods and goddesses began with the writing of _____________________________.
14. Euripides wrote his plays how many years after Aeschylus?
(b) one hundred
15. The Greeks viewed things ___________________.
(a) as part of a whole
(b) as individual entities
(c) as separate entities
(d) as extensions of themselves
Short Answer Questions
1. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
2. The most important oracle was at _________________.
3. According to Hamilton, Greek religion developed from _____________________________.
4. Thucydides wrote a history of the war between ______________________.
5. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)