|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
2. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
(a) calmness, serenity and absence of struggle
(b) emotional upheaval
(c) a great deal of violence
(d) a great struggle
3. Which term does not apply to the Theater of Dionysus?
(a) loss of the sense of isolation
4. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
(a) they were exchanged for enemy prisoners
(b) they were released after the war's end
(c) they became slaves
(d) they were executed
5. Euripides' view of religion is that _____________________.
(a) the gods had to be obeyed
(b) the gods were superior to humans
(c) the gods were inferior to humans
(d) religion and gods are ignoreed
6. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
(a) fair hamony
7. Compared to the other tragedians, Euripides is described as the _________________.
(a) most fatal
(c) most tragic
8. Who laid the foundation for the Greek democracy?
9. According to Hamilton, Greek religion developed from _____________________________.
(a) the poets, artists and philosophers
(b) the elite
(c) the priests
(d) the prophets
10. To the Greek thinkers, religion was ______________________.
(a) engorced by priests
(b) accepted by all as a necessary evil
(d) a search for the truth
11. The Persian plan to defeat the Ten Thousand was to _________________________________.
(a) make slaves of the leaders
(b) there was no plan
(c) split the force in half
(d) kill all the officers and leaders
12. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
13. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
(a) they were times of darkness and defeat
(b) thrilling things were happening
(c) they were periods of great military victories
(d) times were prosperous
14. What characterizes the tragedies of Aeschylus?
(a) passive acceptance
15. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
(b) the suffering of the soul
(d) physical pain
Short Answer Questions
1. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
2. Euripides wrote his plays how many years after Aeschylus?
3. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
4. Xenophon felt that ___________________________________.
5. The Greeks viewed things ___________________.
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)