|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
(a) makes people cry
(b) is a mixture of comedy and sadness
(c) is a mixture of pain and pleasure
(d) makes people sad
2. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(a) poor fighters
(c) inadequately armed
3. Thucydides wrote a history of the war between ______________________.
(a) Sparta and Thebes
(b) Thebes and Peloponnesia
(c) Athens and Sparta
(d) Athens and Rome
4. Who laid the foundation for the Greek democracy?
5. Of the ninety plays that Aeschylus wrote, how many have survived?
(c) twenty three
6. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) both were weak
(b) Sparta was weaker than Athens
(c) Athens was weaker than Sparta
(d) both were powerful
7. The Greeks viewed things ___________________.
(a) as separate entities
(b) as individual entities
(c) as part of a whole
(d) as extensions of themselves
8. Which of the following is not a name associated with Greek tragedy?
9. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
(a) outer change does not affect inner control
(b) outer change brings about inner chance
(c) man can control outer change
(d) man has no cont rol over either
10. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
(a) Greek society
(b) the defeat of the Persians
(c) discipline in the military
(d) how the retreat of the Ten Thousand was successful
11. Aeschylus was ______________________.
(a) a writer of mystery
(b) a writer of prose
(c) the last writer of tragedy
(d) the first writer of tragedy
12. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
(a) the reality of life
(b) the misery of the world
(c) pain and suffering
(d) the beauty of the world
13. The only sources of knowledge in Greece were the _______________.
14. The most important oracle was at _________________.
15. Euripides wrote his plays how many years after Aeschylus?
(b) one hundred
Short Answer Questions
1. Aeschylus had been ________________________-.
2. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
3. According to Hamilton, Greek religion developed from _____________________________.
4. Euripides wrote the Trojan Women to _______________________________.
5. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)