|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
2. The Greeks were concerned with _______________________.
(a) both mind and spirit
(b) mind only
(c) spirit only
(d) physical prowess
3. Tragedy in drama began with whom?
4. Which is one of the two periods of tragedy in literary history?
(a) the England of Henry V
(b) the Athens of Pericles
(c) the Constantinople of the Ottomans
(d) the Rome of Julius Caesar
5. Aeschylus had been ________________________-.
(a) a military general
(b) a Marathon warrior
(c) a teacher at the Academy
(d) a temple priest
6. Aeschylus believed in the _____________________.
(a) cruelty of man
(b) wrath of God
(c) abuse of power
(d) justice of God
7. What characterizes the tragedies of Aeschylus?
(a) passive acceptance
8. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) City of Freedom
(b) City of Love
(c) Tyrant City
(d) Mighty City
9. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
(a) way of life
10. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
(a) the qualities the individual shared with mankind
(b) the manner of presentation
(c) his lifestyle
(d) the personal qualities of the individual
11. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
(d) fair hamony
12. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
(a) calmness, serenity and absence of struggle
(b) emotional upheaval
(c) a great deal of violence
(d) a great struggle
13. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(a) inadequately armed
(c) poor fighters
14. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
(a) how the retreat of the Ten Thousand was successful
(b) the defeat of the Persians
(c) Greek society
(d) discipline in the military
15. The subject of Greek tragedy came from _________________________.
(a) everyday life
(b) the writer's personal life
Short Answer Questions
1. Aeschylus was ______________________.
2. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
3. What is not a similarity between Macbeth and Aeschylus?
4. Compared to the other tragedians, Euripides is described as the _________________.
5. Through Xenophon, one can view the life of the _______________________.
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)