|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aeschylus felt that the cause of misery was _____________.
2. Which of the following is not a name associated with Greek tragedy?
3. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
(a) his lifestyle
(b) the manner of presentation
(c) the qualities the individual shared with mankind
(d) the personal qualities of the individual
4. As a young man, Xenophon was ________________________.
(a) sent to Athens to find a wife
(b) sent to study with Socrates
(c) exiled from Sparta
(d) sent to work in Athens
5. Which of the following is not one of the four elements common to every tragedy?
6. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
7. What is not a similarity between Macbeth and Aeschylus?
(a) there was an atmosphere of death
(b) there was an atmosphere of evil and doom
(c) it was always night at the castle
(d) the castles were bright and cheerful places
8. To the Greek thinkers, religion was ______________________.
(a) engorced by priests
(b) a search for the truth
(c) accepted by all as a necessary evil
9. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(c) Oedipus Rex
(d) Oesipus at Colonus
10. Of the ninety plays that Aeschylus wrote, how many have survived?
(c) twenty three
11. Xenophon is famous for his book called __________________________________.
(a) The Treatise on War
(c) A History of War
(d) The History of the Peloponnesian War
12. Before Aeschylus, Greek drama consisted of ____________________________.
(a) four actors and a chorus
(b) one actor and a chorus
(c) the chorus only
(d) three actors only
13. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
(a) the Athenian culture and its contirubtions to the world ended
(b) the Athenian culture spread
(c) Sparta adopted the Athenian culture
(d) Sparta merged wih Athens
14. Thucydides wrote a history of the war between ______________________.
(a) Sparta and Thebes
(b) Athens and Rome
(c) Thebes and Peloponnesia
(d) Athens and Sparta
15. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(a) John Milton
Short Answer Questions
1. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
2. The subject of Greek tragedy came from _________________________.
3. Viewing things as part of the whole applies to all but _______________.
4. According to Hamilton, Greek religion developed from _____________________________.
5. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)