|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After traveling, Xenophon went to live in _____________.
2. Before Aeschylus, Greek drama consisted of ____________________________.
(a) three actors only
(b) one actor and a chorus
(c) the chorus only
(d) four actors and a chorus
3. The Persian plan to defeat the Ten Thousand was to _________________________________.
(a) there was no plan
(b) kill all the officers and leaders
(c) make slaves of the leaders
(d) split the force in half
4. Which of the following terms applies to the religion of the ancient Greeks?
(a) holy book
5. The Greeks viewed things ___________________.
(a) as part of a whole
(b) as individual entities
(c) as separate entities
(d) as extensions of themselves
6. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
(a) ornately written
(b) interesting to read
(c) useful to others
(d) factual without any use to others
7. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) Tyrant City
(b) City of Love
(c) Mighty City
(d) City of Freedom
8. Who wrote the first Greek tragedy?
9. Which of the following is not one of the four elements common to every tragedy?
10. Tragedy in drama began with whom?
11. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
(a) ransoming a rich Persian noble
(c) from his father's estate
(d) by being a successful businessman
12. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
(a) the outline against the sky
(b) the setting
(c) the building's relation to the hills and sea
(d) the ornateness of the building itself
13. To the Greek thinkers, religion was ______________________.
(a) engorced by priests
(b) a search for the truth
(c) accepted by all as a necessary evil
14. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
(a) Greek audiences like tear-jerkers
(b) Greek thinking revealed that there was an injustice inherent in nature
(c) there was a lot of tragedy in everyday life
(d) life was characterized by human misery
15. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(b) Oedipus Rex
(d) Oesipus at Colonus
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
2. Through Xenophon, one can view the life of the _______________________.
3. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
4. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
5. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)