|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
(a) ransoming a rich Persian noble
(b) from his father's estate
(d) by being a successful businessman
2. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
(a) life was characterized by human misery
(b) Greek audiences like tear-jerkers
(c) Greek thinking revealed that there was an injustice inherent in nature
(d) there was a lot of tragedy in everyday life
3. Aeschylus believed in the _____________________.
(a) abuse of power
(b) cruelty of man
(c) justice of God
(d) wrath of God
4. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
(a) factual without any use to others
(b) useful to others
(c) interesting to read
(d) ornately written
5. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
(c) the suffering of the soul
(d) physical pain
6. Aeschylus felt that the cause of misery was _____________.
7. The tragedies of Aeschylus present death and suffering in a way that __________________________.
(a) makes it comical
(b) does not depress the audience
(c) depresses the audience
(d) brings the audience to tears
8. Thucydides felt that ___________________________________.
(a) the desire for power was not a cause of war
(b) the desire for wealth was not a cause of war
(c) power and wealth created the desire for more power and wealth
(d) wars were covered by broken treaties
9. Thucydides wrote a history of the war between ______________________.
(a) Athens and Sparta
(b) Thebes and Peloponnesia
(c) Athens and Rome
(d) Sparta and Thebes
10. Which one of Shakespeare's tragedies comes closest to the tragedies of Aeschylus?
(c) Romeo and Juliet
(d) King Lear
11. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
(a) power brought about its own destruction
(b) the power of the Athenians had to be stopped
(c) the power of the Spartans had to be stopped
(d) wealth attracted the poorer to attack
12. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(b) inadequately armed
(d) poor fighters
13. Tragedy in drama began with whom?
14. Which tragedian is considered to be the most modern?
15. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(a) Oesipus at Colonus
(b) Oedipus Rex
Short Answer Questions
1. After traveling, Xenophon went to live in _____________.
2. To the Greek thinkers, religion was ______________________.
3. The Greeks viewed things ___________________.
4. Euripides wrote his plays how many years after Aeschylus?
5. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)