|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) Mighty City
(b) City of Love
(c) City of Freedom
(d) Tyrant City
2. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
(a) factual without any use to others
(b) ornately written
(c) useful to others
(d) interesting to read
3. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
(a) outer change does not affect inner control
(b) outer change brings about inner chance
(c) man has no cont rol over either
(d) man can control outer change
4. Aeschylus felt that the cause of misery was _____________.
5. According to Hamilton, tragedy is the domain of whom?
(a) comedy writers
(c) any kind of writer
(d) prose writers
6. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
(d) way of life
7. Who wrote the first Greek tragedy?
8. Euripides wrote the Trojan Women to _______________________________.
(a) glorify war
(b) show how war appears to and affects captive women
(c) glorify the victors of war
(d) explain the effects of the war between Athens and Sparta
9. Before Aeschylus, Greek drama consisted of ____________________________.
(a) four actors and a chorus
(b) the chorus only
(c) three actors only
(d) one actor and a chorus
10. What is the view of man?
(a) man is not helpless and controls his fate
(b) there is no such thing as fate
(c) man is helpless with his fate predetermined
(d) man can sometimes change his fate
11. Euripides' view of religion is that _____________________.
(a) religion and gods are ignoreed
(b) the gods were superior to humans
(c) the gods were inferior to humans
(d) the gods had to be obeyed
12. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
13. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
(a) endure their fate because there is no way out
(b) avoid their fate
(c) look for a way out
(d) fight their fate
14. Euripides wrote his plays how many years after Aeschylus?
(a) one hundred
15. Which tragedian is considered to be the most modern?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
2. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
3. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
4. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
5. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)