|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
(a) poetic expression
(b) great intellect
(d) beutiful workmanship
2. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
(d) fair hamony
3. Thucydides felt that ___________________________________.
(a) power and wealth created the desire for more power and wealth
(b) the desire for power was not a cause of war
(c) wars were covered by broken treaties
(d) the desire for wealth was not a cause of war
4. Through Xenophon, one can view the life of the _______________________.
(a) average man
5. Xenophon suggested that _____________________________________.
(a) Athens and Sparta fight to the bitter end
(b) Athens and Sparta hold peace talks at Delphi
(c) there was no way to end the war
(d) Athens merge with Sparta
6. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
(a) a great deal of violence
(b) a great struggle
(c) calmness, serenity and absence of struggle
(d) emotional upheaval
7. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(d) John Milton
8. Viewing things as part of the whole applies to all but _______________.
9. Aeschylus believed in the _____________________.
(a) cruelty of man
(b) abuse of power
(c) justice of God
(d) wrath of God
10. Before Aeschylus, Greek drama consisted of ____________________________.
(a) one actor and a chorus
(b) the chorus only
(c) four actors and a chorus
(d) three actors only
11. The Greeks viewed things ___________________.
(a) as part of a whole
(b) as separate entities
(c) as individual entities
(d) as extensions of themselves
12. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(a) poor fighters
(c) inadequately armed
13. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
(a) his lifestyle
(b) the personal qualities of the individual
(c) the qualities the individual shared with mankind
(d) the manner of presentation
14. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
(a) doesn't deal in morales
(b) lets the audience draw its own conclusions
(c) introduces humon into the situation
(d) draws the moral for his audience
15. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(a) Oedipus Rex
(b) Oesipus at Colonus
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not a similarity between Macbeth and Aeschylus?
2. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
3. Xenophon felt that ___________________________________.
4. Which role did Aeschylus not fulfill?
5. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)