|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not a similarity between Macbeth and Aeschylus?
(a) it was always night at the castle
(b) there was an atmosphere of evil and doom
(c) the castles were bright and cheerful places
(d) there was an atmosphere of death
2. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
(a) the setting
(b) the building's relation to the hills and sea
(c) the ornateness of the building itself
(d) the outline against the sky
3. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
(a) man can control outer change
(b) outer change does not affect inner control
(c) outer change brings about inner chance
(d) man has no cont rol over either
4. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
(a) The History of the Trojan War
(b) The History of the Athenian War
(c) The History of the Peloponnesian War
(d) The History of the Spartan War
5. Who wrote the first Greek tragedy?
6. The most important oracle was at _________________.
7. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) Tyrant City
(b) Mighty City
(c) City of Freedom
(d) City of Love
8. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
(a) the reality of life
(b) pain and suffering
(c) the misery of the world
(d) the beauty of the world
9. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
(a) avoid their fate
(b) look for a way out
(c) fight their fate
(d) endure their fate because there is no way out
10. Which of the following is not a name associated with Greek tragedy?
11. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
(a) times were prosperous
(b) they were periods of great military victories
(c) thrilling things were happening
(d) they were times of darkness and defeat
12. Xenophon felt that ___________________________________.
(a) states should be orientated toward war
(b) all states should seek power
(c) disputes should be settled by war
(d) diplomacy should be used to avert war
13. Which of the following terms applies to the religion of the ancient Greeks?
(a) holy book
14. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
(a) by being a successful businessman
(b) from his father's estate
(d) ransoming a rich Persian noble
15. The subject of Greek tragedy came from _________________________.
(a) the writer's personal life
(c) everyday life
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
2. According to Hamilton, tragedy is the domain of whom?
3. Which of the following is not one of the four elements common to every tragedy?
4. The only sources of knowledge in Greece were the _______________.
5. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)