|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
(a) introduces humon into the situation
(b) lets the audience draw its own conclusions
(c) draws the moral for his audience
(d) doesn't deal in morales
2. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
3. Through Xenophon, one can view the life of the _______________________.
(c) average man
4. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(a) John Milton
5. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
(a) the reality of life
(b) the misery of the world
(c) the beauty of the world
(d) pain and suffering
6. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
(a) discipline in the military
(b) the defeat of the Persians
(c) Greek society
(d) how the retreat of the Ten Thousand was successful
7. Xenophon felt that it was significant ________________________________.
(a) that there should be leisure time
(b) to see what honorable men did for amusement
(c) that men should work
(d) that men should participate in the games
8. Who wrote the first Greek tragedy?
9. According to Hamilton, Greek religion developed from _____________________________.
(a) the priests
(b) the elite
(c) the prophets
(d) the poets, artists and philosophers
10. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
(a) is a mixture of pain and pleasure
(b) is a mixture of comedy and sadness
(c) makes people sad
(d) makes people cry
11. The Greek gods and goddesses began with the writing of _____________________________.
12. Compared to the other tragedians, Euripides is described as the _________________.
(a) most tragic
(d) most fatal
13. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
(a) useful to others
(b) factual without any use to others
(c) ornately written
(d) interesting to read
14. Which of the following is not a play of Euripides'?
(c) Trojan Women
15. Aeschylus had been ________________________-.
(a) a Marathon warrior
(b) a temple priest
(c) a military general
(d) a teacher at the Academy
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hamilton, tragedy is the domain of whom?
2. Aeschylus believed in the _____________________.
3. Which one of Shakespeare's tragedies comes closest to the tragedies of Aeschylus?
4. Euripides' view of religion is that _____________________.
5. Xenophon felt that ___________________________________.
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)