Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
(a) introduces humon into the situation
(b) doesn't deal in morales
(c) draws the moral for his audience
(d) lets the audience draw its own conclusions
2. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) Tyrant City
(b) City of Freedom
(c) City of Love
(d) Mighty City
3. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(d) John Milton
4. Xenophon is famous for his book called __________________________________.
(a) The History of the Peloponnesian War
(b) The Treatise on War
(c) A History of War
5. Which of the following terms applies to the religion of the ancient Greeks?
(d) holy book
6. Which of the following is not a name associated with Greek tragedy?
7. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
(a) from his father's estate
(b) by being a successful businessman
(d) ransoming a rich Persian noble
8. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
(a) they were periods of great military victories
(b) they were times of darkness and defeat
(c) times were prosperous
(d) thrilling things were happening
9. Which is one of the two periods of tragedy in literary history?
(a) the England of Henry V
(b) the Rome of Julius Caesar
(c) the Constantinople of the Ottomans
(d) the Athens of Pericles
10. What characterizes the tragedies of Aeschylus?
(d) passive acceptance
11. Which term does not apply to the Theater of Dionysus?
(b) loss of the sense of isolation
12. Xenophon felt that ___________________________________.
(a) diplomacy should be used to avert war
(b) disputes should be settled by war
(c) all states should seek power
(d) states should be orientated toward war
13. Thucydides felt that ___________________________________.
(a) power and wealth created the desire for more power and wealth
(b) the desire for power was not a cause of war
(c) the desire for wealth was not a cause of war
(d) wars were covered by broken treaties
14. Aeschylus believed in the _____________________.
(a) cruelty of man
(b) justice of God
(c) abuse of power
(d) wrath of God
15. The tragedies of Aeschylus present death and suffering in a way that __________________________.
(a) does not depress the audience
(b) depresses the audience
(c) makes it comical
(d) brings the audience to tears
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greeks were concerned with _______________________.
2. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
3. Through Xenophon, one can view the life of the _______________________.
4. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
5. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)