|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aeschylus was ______________________.
(a) the last writer of tragedy
(b) a writer of mystery
(c) a writer of prose
(d) the first writer of tragedy
2. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
(a) Greek audiences like tear-jerkers
(b) life was characterized by human misery
(c) Greek thinking revealed that there was an injustice inherent in nature
(d) there was a lot of tragedy in everyday life
3. Through Xenophon, one can view the life of the _______________________.
(a) average man
4. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
(a) emotional upheaval
(b) calmness, serenity and absence of struggle
(c) a great struggle
(d) a great deal of violence
5. Which of the following terms applies to the religion of the ancient Greeks?
(a) holy book
6. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(d) John Milton
7. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(a) inadequately armed
(b) poor fighters
8. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
(a) the outline against the sky
(b) the setting
(c) the building's relation to the hills and sea
(d) the ornateness of the building itself
9. Who wrote the first Greek tragedy?
10. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
(a) the qualities the individual shared with mankind
(b) the personal qualities of the individual
(c) his lifestyle
(d) the manner of presentation
11. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) both were weak
(b) Sparta was weaker than Athens
(c) Athens was weaker than Sparta
(d) both were powerful
12. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
(a) times were prosperous
(b) they were times of darkness and defeat
(c) they were periods of great military victories
(d) thrilling things were happening
13. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
(a) wealth attracted the poorer to attack
(b) the power of the Spartans had to be stopped
(c) the power of the Athenians had to be stopped
(d) power brought about its own destruction
14. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
15. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Xenophon felt that ___________________________________.
2. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
3. After traveling, Xenophon went to live in _____________.
4. Xenophon is famous for his book called __________________________________.
5. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)