|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
(a) Greek audiences like tear-jerkers
(b) there was a lot of tragedy in everyday life
(c) Greek thinking revealed that there was an injustice inherent in nature
(d) life was characterized by human misery
2. Tragedy in drama began with whom?
3. Before Aeschylus, Greek drama consisted of ____________________________.
(a) three actors only
(b) the chorus only
(c) one actor and a chorus
(d) four actors and a chorus
4. What is the view of man?
(a) man is not helpless and controls his fate
(b) man can sometimes change his fate
(c) there is no such thing as fate
(d) man is helpless with his fate predetermined
5. The Persian plan to defeat the Ten Thousand was to _________________________________.
(a) kill all the officers and leaders
(b) make slaves of the leaders
(c) split the force in half
(d) there was no plan
6. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
(a) the reality of life
(b) the beauty of the world
(c) pain and suffering
(d) the misery of the world
7. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
(b) by being a successful businessman
(c) ransoming a rich Persian noble
(d) from his father's estate
8. Euripides' view of religion is that _____________________.
(a) the gods had to be obeyed
(b) the gods were inferior to humans
(c) religion and gods are ignoreed
(d) the gods were superior to humans
9. Thucydides wrote a history of the war between ______________________.
(a) Thebes and Peloponnesia
(b) Sparta and Thebes
(c) Athens and Sparta
(d) Athens and Rome
10. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
(a) Sparta adopted the Athenian culture
(b) the Athenian culture spread
(c) Sparta merged wih Athens
(d) the Athenian culture and its contirubtions to the world ended
11. Xenophon is famous for his book called __________________________________.
(a) The Treatise on War
(b) The History of the Peloponnesian War
(c) A History of War
12. According to Hamilton, tragedy is the domain of whom?
(a) comedy writers
(b) prose writers
(c) any kind of writer
13. Which is one of the two periods of tragedy in literary history?
(a) the Rome of Julius Caesar
(b) the England of Henry V
(c) the Athens of Pericles
(d) the Constantinople of the Ottomans
14. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
15. Compared to the other tragedians, Euripides is described as the _________________.
(b) most tragic
(c) most fatal
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
2. Aeschylus believed in the _____________________.
3. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
4. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
5. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)