|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
(a) Sparta merged wih Athens
(b) the Athenian culture and its contirubtions to the world ended
(c) the Athenian culture spread
(d) Sparta adopted the Athenian culture
2. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
(a) endure their fate because there is no way out
(b) avoid their fate
(c) look for a way out
(d) fight their fate
3. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
(a) pain and suffering
(b) the beauty of the world
(c) the reality of life
(d) the misery of the world
4. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
(b) beutiful workmanship
(c) poetic expression
(d) great intellect
5. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(a) inadequately armed
(c) poor fighters
6. What is the view of man?
(a) man is helpless with his fate predetermined
(b) man is not helpless and controls his fate
(c) man can sometimes change his fate
(d) there is no such thing as fate
7. Thucydides wrote a history of the war between ______________________.
(a) Athens and Sparta
(b) Athens and Rome
(c) Thebes and Peloponnesia
(d) Sparta and Thebes
8. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
9. The only sources of knowledge in Greece were the _______________.
10. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
(a) the personal qualities of the individual
(b) his lifestyle
(c) the manner of presentation
(d) the qualities the individual shared with mankind
11. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
(a) they were released after the war's end
(b) they were executed
(c) they became slaves
(d) they were exchanged for enemy prisoners
12. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
13. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
(a) Greek thinking revealed that there was an injustice inherent in nature
(b) life was characterized by human misery
(c) Greek audiences like tear-jerkers
(d) there was a lot of tragedy in everyday life
14. The most important oracle was at _________________.
15. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(a) John Milton
Short Answer Questions
1. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
2. Xenophon felt that it was significant ________________________________.
3. The Greeks were concerned with _______________________.
4. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
5. The Persian plan to defeat the Ten Thousand was to _________________________________.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)