|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which term does not apply to the Theater of Dionysus?
(c) loss of the sense of isolation
2. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
(a) they were exchanged for enemy prisoners
(b) they were released after the war's end
(c) they became slaves
(d) they were executed
3. Which of the following is not a name associated with Greek tragedy?
4. After traveling, Xenophon went to live in _____________.
5. Before Aeschylus, Greek drama consisted of ____________________________.
(a) the chorus only
(b) three actors only
(c) four actors and a chorus
(d) one actor and a chorus
6. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
(a) is a mixture of pain and pleasure
(b) makes people sad
(c) is a mixture of comedy and sadness
(d) makes people cry
7. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(c) poor fighters
(d) inadequately armed
8. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) both were weak
(b) both were powerful
(c) Sparta was weaker than Athens
(d) Athens was weaker than Sparta
9. Aeschylus had been ________________________-.
(a) a teacher at the Academy
(b) a Marathon warrior
(c) a military general
(d) a temple priest
10. The most important oracle was at _________________.
11. What is not a similarity between Macbeth and Aeschylus?
(a) there was an atmosphere of death
(b) it was always night at the castle
(c) the castles were bright and cheerful places
(d) there was an atmosphere of evil and doom
12. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
(a) The History of the Trojan War
(b) The History of the Spartan War
(c) The History of the Athenian War
(d) The History of the Peloponnesian War
13. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(b) Oesipus at Colonus
(d) Oedipus Rex
14. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
(a) discipline in the military
(b) Greek society
(c) the defeat of the Persians
(d) how the retreat of the Ten Thousand was successful
15. Thucydides felt that ___________________________________.
(a) wars were covered by broken treaties
(b) power and wealth created the desire for more power and wealth
(c) the desire for power was not a cause of war
(d) the desire for wealth was not a cause of war
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greeks were concerned with _______________________.
2. Which role did Aeschylus not fulfill?
3. Euripides wrote the Trojan Women to _______________________________.
4. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
5. The Greek gods and goddesses began with the writing of _____________________________.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)