|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
(b) full of imagery
(c) full of symbolism
2. Opposition to slavery was open and evident in the time of ______________.
3. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the kind
(b) the athletes of the games
(c) the common man
(d) the intellectuals
4. The Greek acceptance of reality, as given in an oration by Pericles, makes them ___________________________.
(a) interested in humanity
(b) seem cold and unemotional
5. The Greek artist was __________________________.
(a) not creative
(b) dictated to by the priests
(d) limited by his mind and what he saw
6. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
7. Who does Hamilton compare the work of Aristophanes to?
8. What did the world of the dead represent to the ancient Egyptians?
(a) the continuation of misery
(b) the movement to a higher level
(c) security, peace and pleasure
(d) existence with God
9. Poetic license ________________________________________.
(a) requires briefness
(b) calls for simple statements
(c) allows the poet to write in whatever way he wants
(d) requires facts
10. Which city was responsible for a new civilization?
11. Which of the following would you expect to give the shortest account of a situation?
(a) the Bible
(b) the Hebrews
(d) the Greeks
12. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
13. A Greek writer was concerned with ______________________.
(a) ornate style
(b) the beauty of common things
(c) abstract concepts
14. The Ancient Greeks of the time exhibited a ________________________.
(a) a desire for imperialism
(b) the same interests as other civilizations
(c) new power of the mind
(d) lack of interest in cultural and intellectual pursuits
15. The first games, contests and competitions were held in _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The literature indicates that life differed in Athens, as compared to Egypt, by which century?
2. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
3. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
4. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
5. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)