|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Those who are primarily concerned with the spiritual become ___________.
2. Plato viewed the Greek people as ___________________.
(c) intellectual with vitality
3. How many actors were in a play written by Aristophanes?
(a) as many as needed
4. According to Pericles, _________________________.
(a) words are to be used sparingly
(b) writing should be ornate
(c) repetition is good
(d) the longer a passage is, the better it is
5. Which of the following is not one of the plays of Aristophanes?
(b) Oedipus Rex
6. What word best describes the ancient Athenians?
(a) contol by priests
7. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
(a) both are just as risque
(b) Gilbert is bawdier
(c) neither is risque
(d) Gilbert is more restrained
8. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
9. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
(b) the poetry in Greek comedy
(d) the poetry in Greek tragedy
10. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
(b) full of symbolism
(d) full of imagery
11. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(a) plain and matter of fact
(c) full of symbolism
12. Who does Hamilton compare the work of Aristophanes to?
13. Which of the following would you expect to give the shortest account of a situation?
(a) the Hebrews
(c) the Bible
(d) the Greeks
14. The Hindu artist ________________________.
(a) had no freedom
(b) was dictated to by Hindu priests
(c) had the most freedom
(d) had limited freedom
15. The term used to describe the Greek artist is ______________________.
(c) spiritual materialists
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
2. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
3. What was important to Greek poets?
4. What did the world of the dead represent to the ancient Egyptians?
5. Greek writing is based on __________________.
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)