|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The war with the Persians ended with the battle at ___________________.
2. What was not a function of the chorus?
(a) to sing
(b) to dance
(c) to answer questions from the audience
(d) to present the author's views and opinions
3. Herodotus is classified as a writer of ____________________.
(d) history of the fight with Persia
4. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
5. Which city was responsible for a new civilization?
6. Herodotus reported _____________________________.
(a) only the facts he velieved
(b) the facts whether he believed them or not
(c) anything he heard
(d) only what he found and substantiated
7. What had the most freedom as an artist?
(a) the Greek
(b) the Hindu
(c) the Buddhist
(d) the Egyptian
8. The Ancient Greeks of the time exhibited a ________________________.
(a) a desire for imperialism
(b) lack of interest in cultural and intellectual pursuits
(c) the same interests as other civilizations
(d) new power of the mind
9. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
(b) full of imagery
(d) full of symbolism
10. Reality to the ancient Egyptian, was directed toward _____________________.
(a) where he would go after life
(b) on art and culture
(c) on life itself
(d) on life and death
11. Which city did Pindar live in?
12. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
(a) in the temples
(b) in the forums
(c) wherever men met
(d) in the schools
13. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(c) plain and matter of fact
(d) full of symbolism
14. The Hindu artist ________________________.
(a) was dictated to by Hindu priests
(b) had the most freedom
(c) had no freedom
(d) had limited freedom
15. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
(a) life in Athens
(b) the history of the godw
(c) his travels and the Persian War
(d) the war with Sparta
Short Answer Questions
1. In Egypt ___________________________.
2. The style of Greek writing is _____________________________________.
3. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
4. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death?
5. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)