|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the intellectuals
(b) the kind
(c) the athletes of the games
(d) the common man
2. Greek art is based on _________________________.
(b) the orders of the priests
(c) the reality of what the artist sees
(d) abstractions of reality
3. The Greek artist was __________________________.
(b) not creative
(c) dictated to by the priests
(d) limited by his mind and what he saw
4. The Greek architecture of the time was _________________________________.
(a) a simple expression of the intellect
(b) influenced by the East
(c) followed the style of the Egyptians
(d) highly ornate
5. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
(a) ignore their responsibilities
(b) use their power to improve their own position
(c) abuse the power
(d) use their power to help others
6. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
(a) they would destroy the body
(b) the body must return to dust
(c) he should have with him the same kind of things that he had in life
(d) it didn't matter what he was surrounded with
7. The works of Aristophanes were _______________________.
(a) enjoyed by both men and women
(b) for athletes only
(c) for men only
(d) for the upper classes only
8. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
9. Those who are primarily concerned with the spiritual become ___________.
10. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
(d) Julius Caesar
11. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
(a) both are just as risque
(b) neither is risque
(c) Gilbert is more restrained
(d) Gilbert is bawdier
12. Greek writing is based on __________________.
13. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
(a) the priests were the literary class
(b) the teachers were the literary class
(c) there was no literary class
(d) there was a literary class
14. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
(b) full of imagery
(c) full of symbolism
15. Which city was responsible for a new civilization?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, among the following, was a teacher?
2. Herodotus is known as ______________.
3. By the time Aristophanes began writing, Greek drama was ________________________.
4. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
5. Herodotus was the first Greek _______________________________.
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)