|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hamilton compare the work of Aristophanes to?
2. The works of Aristophanes were _______________________.
(a) enjoyed by both men and women
(b) for the upper classes only
(c) for men only
(d) for athletes only
3. The Greeks _________________________.
(a) practiced mind control
(b) applied no limits to thoughts
(c) limited intellectual thought to priests
(d) limited thought to certain fields
4. The Athenian audience of Aristophanes ___________________________.
(a) didn't understand his humor
(b) was judgmental
(c) walked out
(d) was accepting of the subject matter
5. A Greek writer was concerned with ______________________.
(a) abstract concepts
(b) ornate style
(c) the beauty of common things
6. One way to learn the values of a society is to look at ______________________.
(a) daily life
(c) its literature
7. Which city did Pindar live in?
8. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
9. Herodotus was the first Greek _______________________________.
(a) to write in prose and have it accepted as poetry
(b) to write of history
(c) to take an interest in mankind
(d) to write in verse
10. Which city was responsible for a new civilization?
11. The Hindu artist ________________________.
(a) had limited freedom
(b) had the most freedom
(c) was dictated to by Hindu priests
(d) had no freedom
12. Before the development of Athens, which group handled intellectual activities?
(b) anyone who wanted to
(c) the common man
(d) the priests
13. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
(a) use their power to help others
(b) abuse the power
(c) use their power to improve their own position
(d) ignore their responsibilities
14. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
(a) the audience is ignorant of literature
(b) the audience is aware of the current thought and literature
(c) the audience must be educated
(d) the audience will not understand his points without the chorus
15. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the common man
(b) the athletes of the games
(c) the intellectuals
(d) the kind
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greeks had different rules of standards that applied to different people. This is evidence of their ________________.
2. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
3. One of the differences in the society of the Greeks was the __________________.
4. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
5. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)