|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
(a) in the schools
(b) wherever men met
(c) in the forums
(d) in the temples
2. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
3. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
(a) physical and spiritual perfection
(b) physical slovenliness
(c) a lack of the spiritual
(d) moral corruption
4. The Greek architecture of the time was _________________________________.
(a) influenced by the East
(b) highly ornate
(c) followed the style of the Egyptians
(d) a simple expression of the intellect
5. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the common man
(b) the kind
(c) the athletes of the games
(d) the intellectuals
6. The Greek artist was __________________________.
(a) dictated to by the priests
(b) not creative
(d) limited by his mind and what he saw
7. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
(a) he was the last spokesman for the aristocracy
(b) he addressed serious issues
(c) he represented the youth
(d) he represented a new movement
8. The war with the Persians ended with the battle at ___________________.
9. The games and competitions were considered so important by the Greeks that __________________________________.
(a) a truce of God was called at the start of the games
(b) they were suspended during wars and conflicts
(c) they were only held when the king wanted them
(d) they were cancelled for lack of participation
10. The Greeks classified Pindar in the ________________________.
(a) austere school of writing
(b) aristocratic school of writing
(c) simple school of writing
(d) ornate school of writing
11. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
12. One way to learn the values of a society is to look at ______________________.
(a) daily life
(c) its literature
13. The Greeks _________________________.
(a) practiced mind control
(b) applied no limits to thoughts
(c) limited intellectual thought to priests
(d) limited thought to certain fields
14. Which of the following names is not considered to be one of the imponderables?
15. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time Aristophanes began writing, Greek drama was ________________________.
2. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
3. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
4. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
5. Greek writing is based on __________________.
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)