|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following would you expect to give the shortest account of a situation?
(a) the Greeks
(b) the Bible
(c) the Hebrews
2. What was important to Greek poets?
3. What was the major issue in the war with the Persians?
(a) national boundaries
(b) ownership of slaves
(c) freedom and liberty
4. How did the Greeks feel about slavery?
(a) There were no slaves
(b) They opposed slavery
(c) It was an accepted way of life
(d) It was evil
5. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
(a) full of symbolism
(c) full of imagery
6. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
(a) in the temples
(b) wherever men met
(c) in the forums
(d) in the schools
7. Which of the following is not a name associated with the Athens civilization of this time?
8. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
9. By the time Aristophanes began writing, Greek drama was ________________________.
(a) gaining in popularity
(c) at its summit
(d) past its summit
10. Opposition to slavery was open and evident in the time of ______________.
11. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
12. Compared to the Hebrew writing in the Bible, Greek writing is ______________.
(b) no comparison
(c) about the same
13. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the kind
(b) the common man
(c) the intellectuals
(d) the athletes of the games
14. The works of Aristophanes were _______________________.
(a) for athletes only
(b) for the upper classes only
(c) for men only
(d) enjoyed by both men and women
15. Greek writing is based on __________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
2. Those who are primarily concerned with the spiritual become ___________.
3. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
4. Herodotus is classified as a writer of ____________________.
5. Herodotus reported _____________________________.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)