|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Ancient Greeks of the time exhibited a ________________________.
(a) new power of the mind
(b) lack of interest in cultural and intellectual pursuits
(c) a desire for imperialism
(d) the same interests as other civilizations
2. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(a) plain and matter of fact
(d) full of symbolism
3. Greek writing is based on __________________.
4. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the common man
(b) the athletes of the games
(c) the intellectuals
(d) the kind
5. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
(b) full of symbolism
(d) full of imagery
6. Herodotus was the first Greek _______________________________.
(a) to take an interest in mankind
(b) to write in verse
(c) to write of history
(d) to write in prose and have it accepted as poetry
7. What was characteristic of Greek art?
(a) mind and spirit have no effect on art
(b) spirit stronger than mind
(c) mind and spirit in equal balance
(d) mind stronger than spirit
8. Herodotus reported _____________________________.
(a) anything he heard
(b) only what he found and substantiated
(c) the facts whether he believed them or not
(d) only the facts he velieved
9. What was the major issue in the war with the Persians?
(a) national boundaries
(c) freedom and liberty
(d) ownership of slaves
10. The power of the Egyptian priests came from ____________________________.
(a) the people
(b) their ability to teach
(c) their power over the king
(d) the ingorance and fear of others
11. How many actors were in a play written by Aristophanes?
(d) as many as needed
12. Which of the following would you expect to give the shortest account of a situation?
(a) the Greeks
(c) the Bible
(d) the Hebrews
13. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
14. A Greek writer was concerned with ______________________.
(b) the beauty of common things
(c) ornate style
(d) abstract concepts
15. The Greek acceptance of reality, as given in an oration by Pericles, makes them ___________________________.
(a) interested in humanity
(c) seem cold and unemotional
Short Answer Questions
1. The first games, contests and competitions were held in _____________.
2. One way to learn the values of a society is to look at ______________________.
3. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
4. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death?
5. The Greek architecture of the time was _________________________________.
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)