|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Greek acceptance of reality, as given in an oration by Pericles, makes them ___________________________.
(b) seem cold and unemotional
(d) interested in humanity
2. Which of the following is not a name associated with the Athens civilization of this time?
3. Poetic license ________________________________________.
(a) calls for simple statements
(b) requires briefness
(c) allows the poet to write in whatever way he wants
(d) requires facts
4. Herodotus reported _____________________________.
(a) anything he heard
(b) only the facts he velieved
(c) the facts whether he believed them or not
(d) only what he found and substantiated
5. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
(a) most difficult to read and translate
(b) easiest to read but hardest to translate
(c) easiest to read and translate
6. What was not a function of the chorus?
(a) to answer questions from the audience
(b) to dance
(c) to present the author's views and opinions
(d) to sing
7. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
(a) the audience is aware of the current thought and literature
(b) the audience will not understand his points without the chorus
(c) the audience is ignorant of literature
(d) the audience must be educated
8. The first scientists were the _________________.
9. According to Pericles, _________________________.
(a) writing should be ornate
(b) repetition is good
(c) the longer a passage is, the better it is
(d) words are to be used sparingly
10. The freedom of Athenian thought and expression led to ____________________.
(c) the basis for science
11. The war with the Persians ended with the battle at ___________________.
12. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
13. Herodotus is known as ______________.
(a) the father of tragedy
(b) the father of travel
(c) the father of comedy
(d) the father of history
14. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
(a) wanted to do their own thinking
(b) were not intereted in intellectual discussions
(c) were not interested in intellectual thinking
(d) delegated intellectual things to the teachers
15. Herodotus was the first Greek _______________________________.
(a) to write in prose and have it accepted as poetry
(b) to write of history
(c) to take an interest in mankind
(d) to write in verse
Short Answer Questions
1. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
2. The Greeks had different rules of standards that applied to different people. This is evidence of their ________________.
3. The Greek architecture of the time was _________________________________.
4. Who, among the following, was a teacher?
5. The Greek artist was __________________________.
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)