|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The term used to describe the Greek artist is ______________________.
(d) spiritual materialists
2. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
3. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
(a) Gilbert is more restrained
(b) both are just as risque
(c) Gilbert is bawdier
(d) neither is risque
4. Compared to the Hebrew writing in the Bible, Greek writing is ______________.
(c) about the same
(d) no comparison
5. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
6. What was the crime that Socrates committed that resulted in his execution?
(a) criticism of the king
(b) support of the Egyptians
(d) corruption of youth and introduction of new gods
7. By the time Aristophanes began writing, Greek drama was ________________________.
(a) past its summit
(b) gaining in popularity
(c) at its summit
8. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
(a) moral corruption
(b) physical slovenliness
(c) a lack of the spiritual
(d) physical and spiritual perfection
9. Those who are primarily concerned with the spiritual become ___________.
10. One way to learn the values of a society is to look at ______________________.
(c) daily life
(d) its literature
11. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
(a) lived by the same standards as others
(b) had its own standard to live by
(c) were liars and cheaters
(d) were not honorable men
12. Poetic license ________________________________________.
(a) requires facts
(b) allows the poet to write in whatever way he wants
(c) requires briefness
(d) calls for simple statements
13. The war with the Persians ended with the battle at ___________________.
14. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
(b) not important in the life of the ancient Greeks
(c) represented by the gods and goddesses they believed in
15. The literature indicates that life differed in Athens, as compared to Egypt, by which century?
Short Answer Questions
1. Herodotus is classified as a writer of ____________________.
2. Greek writing is based on __________________.
3. The power of the Egyptian priests came from ____________________________.
4. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
5. Hamilton compares reading Aristophanes to reading a _________________.
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)