|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
(a) they would destroy the body
(b) it didn't matter what he was surrounded with
(c) the body must return to dust
(d) he should have with him the same kind of things that he had in life
2. What was characteristic of Greek art?
(a) spirit stronger than mind
(b) mind and spirit have no effect on art
(c) mind stronger than spirit
(d) mind and spirit in equal balance
3. The first games, contests and competitions were held in _____________.
4. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
(a) intellectual activities
(c) the dead
(d) the living
5. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the athletes of the games
(b) the common man
(c) the intellectuals
(d) the kind
6. Which of the following would you expect to give the shortest account of a situation?
(a) the Greeks
(b) the Bible
(d) the Hebrews
7. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
(a) in the forums
(b) in the temples
(c) wherever men met
(d) in the schools
8. The style of Greek writing is _____________________________________.
(a) incapable of being translated into English
(b) the same as English writing
(c) very different from the styles of English writing
(d) more ornate than English writing
9. The war with the Persians ended with the battle at ___________________.
10. The priests of ancient Egypt _____________________________.
(a) yielded to the power of the king
(b) taught the common man
(c) were powerless
(d) guarded their position of power as intellectuals
11. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
(a) use their power to help others
(b) ignore their responsibilities
(c) abuse the power
(d) use their power to improve their own position
12. Reality to the ancient Egyptian, was directed toward _____________________.
(a) where he would go after life
(b) on art and culture
(c) on life itself
(d) on life and death
13. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
(a) his travels and the Persian War
(b) the war with Sparta
(c) the history of the godw
(d) life in Athens
14. By the time Aristophanes began writing, Greek drama was ________________________.
(b) past its summit
(c) at its summit
(d) gaining in popularity
15. Those who are primarily concerned with the spiritual become ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Greeks feel about slavery?
2. One of the differences in the society of the Greeks was the __________________.
3. Greek art is based on _________________________.
4. What word best describes the ancient Athenians?
5. How many actors were in a play written by Aristophanes?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)