|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Greeks had different rules of standards that applied to different people. This is evidence of their ________________.
2. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
(a) were not interested in intellectual thinking
(b) delegated intellectual things to the teachers
(c) were not intereted in intellectual discussions
(d) wanted to do their own thinking
3. The Athenian audience of Aristophanes ___________________________.
(a) didn't understand his humor
(b) was judgmental
(c) was accepting of the subject matter
(d) walked out
4. The works of Aristophanes were _______________________.
(a) enjoyed by both men and women
(b) for athletes only
(c) for the upper classes only
(d) for men only
5. The Greek acceptance of reality, as given in an oration by Pericles, makes them ___________________________.
(b) interested in humanity
(c) seem cold and unemotional
6. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(b) plain and matter of fact
(d) full of symbolism
7. Which of the following would you expect to give the shortest account of a situation?
(a) the Greeks
(c) the Hebrews
(d) the Bible
8. The first games, contests and competitions were held in _____________.
9. What was characteristic of Greek art?
(a) mind and spirit in equal balance
(b) spirit stronger than mind
(c) mind stronger than spirit
(d) mind and spirit have no effect on art
10. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
(a) his travels and the Persian War
(b) life in Athens
(c) the history of the godw
(d) the war with Sparta
11. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
(a) the priests were the literary class
(b) there was no literary class
(c) there was a literary class
(d) the teachers were the literary class
12. According to Pericles, _________________________.
(a) the longer a passage is, the better it is
(b) repetition is good
(c) writing should be ornate
(d) words are to be used sparingly
13. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
14. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
(a) Julius Caesar
15. Poetic license ________________________________________.
(a) requires facts
(b) calls for simple statements
(c) requires briefness
(d) allows the poet to write in whatever way he wants
Short Answer Questions
1. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
2. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
3. What was the crime that Socrates committed that resulted in his execution?
4. Before the development of Athens, which group handled intellectual activities?
5. Who does Hamilton compare the work of Aristophanes to?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)