|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
(a) were not interested in intellectual thinking
(b) wanted to do their own thinking
(c) were not intereted in intellectual discussions
(d) delegated intellectual things to the teachers
2. What was the crime that Socrates committed that resulted in his execution?
(b) criticism of the king
(c) support of the Egyptians
(d) corruption of youth and introduction of new gods
3. By the time Aristophanes began writing, Greek drama was ________________________.
(a) past its summit
(b) at its summit
(c) gaining in popularity
4. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
5. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
6. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death?
(a) the misery of everyday life
(b) good living conditions
(c) belief in God
(d) the fairness of the ruler
7. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
(a) easier to interpret
(b) about the same
(c) very ornate
(d) much simpler
8. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
(a) use their power to improve their own position
(b) ignore their responsibilities
(c) abuse the power
(d) use their power to help others
9. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
10. Greek writing is based on __________________.
11. What was characteristic of Greek art?
(a) spirit stronger than mind
(b) mind and spirit in equal balance
(c) mind stronger than spirit
(d) mind and spirit have no effect on art
12. Before the development of Athens, which group handled intellectual activities?
(a) the priests
(b) the common man
(c) anyone who wanted to
13. The Hindu artist ________________________.
(a) was dictated to by Hindu priests
(b) had limited freedom
(c) had the most freedom
(d) had no freedom
14. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(b) plain and matter of fact
(c) full of symbolism
15. The artist conceptualizes reality in the form of _______________________.
(a) the symbol
(b) pure concepts
(c) he ignores reality
(d) there is no reality in art
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
2. The freedom of Athenian thought and expression led to ____________________.
3. The works of Aristophanes were _______________________.
4. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
5. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)