|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
2. According to Pericles, _________________________.
(a) the longer a passage is, the better it is
(b) writing should be ornate
(c) repetition is good
(d) words are to be used sparingly
3. The power of the Egyptian priests came from ____________________________.
(a) the people
(b) the ingorance and fear of others
(c) their ability to teach
(d) their power over the king
4. The Hindu artist ________________________.
(a) had the most freedom
(b) was dictated to by Hindu priests
(c) had limited freedom
(d) had no freedom
5. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
(a) have the style and meaning lost in the translation
(b) be translated into English
(c) be interpreted
(d) be accomodated to the English style
6. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
(a) not important in the life of the ancient Greeks
(d) represented by the gods and goddesses they believed in
7. Which of the following names is not considered to be one of the imponderables?
8. Aristophanes is described as _____________________.
(a) the Old Tragedy of Athens
(b) The Athenian Comedian
(c) the Old Comedy of Athens
(d) the Old Man of Athens
9. The Buddhist artist ________________________.
(a) creates what he is told to create
(b) copies, doesn't create
(c) the Buddhists have no interest in art
(d) creates from within
10. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
(a) the audience is aware of the current thought and literature
(b) the audience will not understand his points without the chorus
(c) the audience is ignorant of literature
(d) the audience must be educated
11. Opposition to slavery was open and evident in the time of ______________.
12. Compared to the Hebrew writing in the Bible, Greek writing is ______________.
(a) about the same
(d) no comparison
13. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
14. The style of Greek writing is _____________________________________.
(a) very different from the styles of English writing
(b) the same as English writing
(c) more ornate than English writing
(d) incapable of being translated into English
15. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time Aristophanes began writing, Greek drama was ________________________.
2. Poetic license ________________________________________.
3. The Greeks _________________________.
4. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
5. What was important to Greek poets?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)