|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the major issue in the war with the Persians?
(a) national boundaries
(c) ownership of slaves
(d) freedom and liberty
2. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
3. A Greek writer was concerned with ______________________.
(a) ornate style
(b) the beauty of common things
(c) abstract concepts
4. Which of the following is not one of the plays of Aristophanes?
(d) Oedipus Rex
5. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
(b) the poetry in Greek tragedy
(d) the poetry in Greek comedy
6. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
(a) use their power to improve their own position
(b) use their power to help others
(c) ignore their responsibilities
(d) abuse the power
7. Herodotus is known as ______________.
(a) the father of tragedy
(b) the father of travel
(c) the father of history
(d) the father of comedy
8. Hamilton feels there is a great deal of similarity between Aristophanes and the comedy of ______________________.
(a) modern day Broadway
(b) sixteenth century England
(c) fifteenth century England
(d) seventeenth centiry France
9. Which of the following would you expect to give the shortest account of a situation?
(a) the Greeks
(b) the Bible
(c) the Hebrews
10. What had the most freedom as an artist?
(a) the Egyptian
(b) the Hindu
(c) the Buddhist
(d) the Greek
11. Hamilton compares reading Aristophanes to reading a _________________.
(b) comic book
(c) romance novel
(d) sports page
12. Compared to the Hebrew writing in the Bible, Greek writing is ______________.
(c) about the same
(d) no comparison
13. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
(a) the audience is ignorant of literature
(b) the audience must be educated
(c) the audience will not understand his points without the chorus
(d) the audience is aware of the current thought and literature
14. Aristophanes is described as _____________________.
(a) The Athenian Comedian
(b) the Old Comedy of Athens
(c) the Old Man of Athens
(d) the Old Tragedy of Athens
15. The artist conceptualizes reality in the form of _______________________.
(a) pure concepts
(b) there is no reality in art
(c) the symbol
(d) he ignores reality
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes the ancient Athenians?
2. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
3. Which of the following names is not considered to be one of the imponderables?
4. The works of Aristophanes were _______________________.
5. The games and competitions were considered so important by the Greeks that __________________________________.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)