|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following names is not considered to be one of the imponderables?
2. Which of the following is not one of the plays of Aristophanes?
(a) Oedipus Rex
3. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(a) noone in particular
(b) the aristocracy
(d) the elected leaders
4. Herodotus reported _____________________________.
(a) only the facts he velieved
(b) the facts whether he believed them or not
(c) only what he found and substantiated
(d) anything he heard
5. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
6. What word best describes the ancient Athenians?
(c) contol by priests
7. Compared to the Hebrew writing in the Bible, Greek writing is ______________.
(b) about the same
(c) no comparison
8. The Greeks _________________________.
(a) applied no limits to thoughts
(b) limited intellectual thought to priests
(c) practiced mind control
(d) limited thought to certain fields
9. The priests of ancient Egypt _____________________________.
(a) taught the common man
(b) yielded to the power of the king
(c) guarded their position of power as intellectuals
(d) were powerless
10. Hamilton compares reading Aristophanes to reading a _________________.
(a) sports page
(b) romance novel
(d) comic book
11. Which city was responsible for a new civilization?
12. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
(a) were liars and cheaters
(b) were not honorable men
(c) lived by the same standards as others
(d) had its own standard to live by
13. Aristophanes is described as _____________________.
(a) the Old Man of Athens
(b) The Athenian Comedian
(c) the Old Tragedy of Athens
(d) the Old Comedy of Athens
14. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
15. The works of Aristophanes were _______________________.
(a) for men only
(b) for the upper classes only
(c) for athletes only
(d) enjoyed by both men and women
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the crime that Socrates committed that resulted in his execution?
2. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
3. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
4. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
5. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)