|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One way to learn the values of a society is to look at ______________________.
(a) its literature
(d) daily life
2. According to Pericles, _________________________.
(a) repetition is good
(b) writing should be ornate
(c) the longer a passage is, the better it is
(d) words are to be used sparingly
3. What was the crime that Socrates committed that resulted in his execution?
(a) criticism of the king
(b) support of the Egyptians
(d) corruption of youth and introduction of new gods
4. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
5. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
(a) wherever men met
(b) in the schools
(c) in the forums
(d) in the temples
6. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
7. The Greek architecture of the time was _________________________________.
(a) a simple expression of the intellect
(b) followed the style of the Egyptians
(c) highly ornate
(d) influenced by the East
8. Greek writing is based on __________________.
9. The literature indicates that life differed in Athens, as compared to Egypt, by which century?
10. The Athenian audience of Aristophanes ___________________________.
(a) walked out
(b) was judgmental
(c) was accepting of the subject matter
(d) didn't understand his humor
11. Herodotus is classified as a writer of ____________________.
(b) history of the fight with Persia
12. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
(a) the priests were the literary class
(b) there was no literary class
(c) the teachers were the literary class
(d) there was a literary class
13. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
(a) much simpler
(b) very ornate
(c) easier to interpret
(d) about the same
14. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
(a) it didn't matter what he was surrounded with
(b) they would destroy the body
(c) the body must return to dust
(d) he should have with him the same kind of things that he had in life
15. Which of the following would you expect to give the shortest account of a situation?
(a) the Greeks
(b) the Bible
(c) the Hebrews
Short Answer Questions
1. Opposition to slavery was open and evident in the time of ______________.
2. Before the development of Athens, which group handled intellectual activities?
3. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
4. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death?
5. Which of the following is not one of the plays of Aristophanes?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)