|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which city did Pindar live in?
2. A Greek writer was concerned with ______________________.
(a) ornate style
(b) the beauty of common things
(d) abstract concepts
3. The Ancient Greeks of the time exhibited a ________________________.
(a) the same interests as other civilizations
(b) a desire for imperialism
(c) lack of interest in cultural and intellectual pursuits
(d) new power of the mind
4. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
(a) the audience is aware of the current thought and literature
(b) the audience must be educated
(c) the audience will not understand his points without the chorus
(d) the audience is ignorant of literature
5. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
(a) both are just as risque
(b) Gilbert is bawdier
(c) Gilbert is more restrained
(d) neither is risque
6. One of the differences in the society of the Greeks was the __________________.
(a) role of reason
(b) emphasis on fear
(c) emphasis on ignorance
(d) lack of caring
7. Compared to the Hebrew writing in the Bible, Greek writing is ______________.
(a) about the same
(d) no comparison
8. The freedom of Athenian thought and expression led to ____________________.
(d) the basis for science
9. What word best describes the ancient Athenians?
(d) contol by priests
10. Herodotus was the first Greek _______________________________.
(a) to take an interest in mankind
(b) to write in verse
(c) to write in prose and have it accepted as poetry
(d) to write of history
11. Who does Hamilton compare the work of Aristophanes to?
12. The Greek architecture of the time was _________________________________.
(a) followed the style of the Egyptians
(b) a simple expression of the intellect
(c) highly ornate
(d) influenced by the East
13. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
(a) have the style and meaning lost in the translation
(b) be interpreted
(c) be accomodated to the English style
(d) be translated into English
14. By the time Aristophanes began writing, Greek drama was ________________________.
(a) past its summit
(c) gaining in popularity
(d) at its summit
15. Plato viewed the Greek people as ___________________.
(c) intellectual with vitality
Short Answer Questions
1. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
2. The power of the Egyptian priests came from ____________________________.
3. How many actors were in a play written by Aristophanes?
4. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
5. How did the Greeks feel about slavery?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)