|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
(a) the audience is ignorant of literature
(b) the audience is aware of the current thought and literature
(c) the audience must be educated
(d) the audience will not understand his points without the chorus
2. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(a) plain and matter of fact
(c) full of symbolism
3. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
4. What was characteristic of Greek art?
(a) mind and spirit in equal balance
(b) spirit stronger than mind
(c) mind and spirit have no effect on art
(d) mind stronger than spirit
5. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
(b) Julius Caesar
6. The first scientists were the _________________.
7. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
(a) the dead
(b) intellectual activities
(d) the living
8. Aristophanes is described as _____________________.
(a) The Athenian Comedian
(b) the Old Comedy of Athens
(c) the Old Man of Athens
(d) the Old Tragedy of Athens
9. How many actors were in a play written by Aristophanes?
(d) as many as needed
10. The games and competitions were considered so important by the Greeks that __________________________________.
(a) they were cancelled for lack of participation
(b) they were suspended during wars and conflicts
(c) a truce of God was called at the start of the games
(d) they were only held when the king wanted them
11. Compared to the Hebrew writing in the Bible, Greek writing is ______________.
(a) about the same
(c) no comparison
12. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
(a) about the same
(b) much simpler
(c) easier to interpret
(d) very ornate
13. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
(a) physical and spiritual perfection
(b) a lack of the spiritual
(c) moral corruption
(d) physical slovenliness
14. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
15. The literature indicates that life differed in Athens, as compared to Egypt, by which century?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greeks classified Pindar in the ________________________.
2. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
3. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
4. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
5. What had the most freedom as an artist?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)