|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
(a) physical and spiritual perfection
(b) moral corruption
(c) physical slovenliness
(d) a lack of the spiritual
2. The literature indicates that life differed in Athens, as compared to Egypt, by which century?
3. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
(a) he represented a new movement
(b) he represented the youth
(c) he addressed serious issues
(d) he was the last spokesman for the aristocracy
4. Which of the following names is not considered to be one of the imponderables?
5. By the time Aristophanes began writing, Greek drama was ________________________.
(a) past its summit
(b) gaining in popularity
(d) at its summit
6. Herodotus was the first Greek _______________________________.
(a) to write in verse
(b) to write of history
(c) to take an interest in mankind
(d) to write in prose and have it accepted as poetry
7. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
(a) the body must return to dust
(b) they would destroy the body
(c) it didn't matter what he was surrounded with
(d) he should have with him the same kind of things that he had in life
8. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
(a) the living
(b) the dead
(c) intellectual activities
9. Reality to the ancient Egyptian, was directed toward _____________________.
(a) on art and culture
(b) on life and death
(c) on life itself
(d) where he would go after life
10. The Hindu artist ________________________.
(a) had no freedom
(b) had the most freedom
(c) was dictated to by Hindu priests
(d) had limited freedom
11. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
12. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
13. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
(a) the poetry in Greek comedy
(d) the poetry in Greek tragedy
14. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
(a) was limited to matters of religion only
(b) covered all intellectual activitries
(c) was to teach the population
(d) was to function as advisors
15. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
(a) in the forums
(b) in the schools
(c) in the temples
(d) wherever men met
Short Answer Questions
1. The artist conceptualizes reality in the form of _______________________.
2. What was important to Greek poets?
3. The Buddhist artist ________________________.
4. The Greek artist was __________________________.
5. The first scientists were the _________________.
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)