|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Greek writing is based on __________________.
2. The Greek artist was __________________________.
(a) dictated to by the priests
(b) not creative
(d) limited by his mind and what he saw
3. The Greek architecture of the time was _________________________________.
(a) highly ornate
(b) followed the style of the Egyptians
(c) a simple expression of the intellect
(d) influenced by the East
4. How did the Greeks feel about slavery?
(a) They opposed slavery
(b) It was an accepted way of life
(c) It was evil
(d) There were no slaves
5. The Athenian audience of Aristophanes ___________________________.
(a) was accepting of the subject matter
(b) didn't understand his humor
(c) walked out
(d) was judgmental
6. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
(a) very ornate
(b) about the same
(c) easier to interpret
(d) much simpler
7. The freedom of Athenian thought and expression led to ____________________.
(b) the basis for science
8. Herodotus was the first Greek _______________________________.
(a) to write in verse
(b) to write in prose and have it accepted as poetry
(c) to write of history
(d) to take an interest in mankind
9. Which of the following names is not considered to be one of the imponderables?
10. What was not a function of the chorus?
(a) to answer questions from the audience
(b) to present the author's views and opinions
(c) to dance
(d) to sing
11. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(a) the elected leaders
(c) noone in particular
(d) the aristocracy
12. The Hindu artist ________________________.
(a) had the most freedom
(b) was dictated to by Hindu priests
(c) had no freedom
(d) had limited freedom
13. Aristophanes is described as _____________________.
(a) the Old Man of Athens
(b) The Athenian Comedian
(c) the Old Comedy of Athens
(d) the Old Tragedy of Athens
14. The Greeks _________________________.
(a) limited thought to certain fields
(b) practiced mind control
(c) limited intellectual thought to priests
(d) applied no limits to thoughts
15. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
(c) not important in the life of the ancient Greeks
(d) represented by the gods and goddesses they believed in
Short Answer Questions
1. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
2. Which of the following is not one of the plays of Aristophanes?
3. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
4. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
5. What had the most freedom as an artist?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)