|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
(a) the war with Sparta
(b) the history of the godw
(c) his travels and the Persian War
(d) life in Athens
2. A Greek writer was concerned with ______________________.
(a) abstract concepts
(c) the beauty of common things
(d) ornate style
3. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
4. What was not a function of the chorus?
(a) to present the author's views and opinions
(b) to sing
(c) to dance
(d) to answer questions from the audience
5. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
(a) the audience will not understand his points without the chorus
(b) the audience is aware of the current thought and literature
(c) the audience is ignorant of literature
(d) the audience must be educated
6. Who, among the following, was a teacher?
7. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
(a) they would destroy the body
(b) he should have with him the same kind of things that he had in life
(c) the body must return to dust
(d) it didn't matter what he was surrounded with
8. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(a) plain and matter of fact
(c) full of symbolism
9. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
10. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
(d) Julius Caesar
11. The games and competitions were considered so important by the Greeks that __________________________________.
(a) they were only held when the king wanted them
(b) they were cancelled for lack of participation
(c) they were suspended during wars and conflicts
(d) a truce of God was called at the start of the games
12. The first games, contests and competitions were held in _____________.
13. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the common man
(b) the intellectuals
(c) the athletes of the games
(d) the kind
14. Which of the following names is not considered to be one of the imponderables?
15. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The term used to describe the Greek artist is ______________________.
2. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
3. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
4. Which of the following is not one of the plays of Aristophanes?
5. The freedom of Athenian thought and expression led to ____________________.
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)