|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
2. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
3. Herodotus was the first Greek _______________________________.
(a) to write of history
(b) to take an interest in mankind
(c) to write in prose and have it accepted as poetry
(d) to write in verse
4. The Buddhist artist ________________________.
(a) creates what he is told to create
(b) copies, doesn't create
(c) the Buddhists have no interest in art
(d) creates from within
5. The Athenian audience of Aristophanes ___________________________.
(a) was accepting of the subject matter
(b) was judgmental
(c) walked out
(d) didn't understand his humor
6. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
7. Hamilton compares reading Aristophanes to reading a _________________.
(a) romance novel
(b) sports page
(c) comic book
8. Who, among the following, was a teacher?
9. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
(a) were not intereted in intellectual discussions
(b) were not interested in intellectual thinking
(c) wanted to do their own thinking
(d) delegated intellectual things to the teachers
10. The first scientists were the _________________.
11. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
12. One of the differences in the society of the Greeks was the __________________.
(a) emphasis on ignorance
(b) lack of caring
(c) role of reason
(d) emphasis on fear
13. Greek art is based on _________________________.
(a) the orders of the priests
(c) the reality of what the artist sees
(d) abstractions of reality
14. Which of the following is not one of the plays of Aristophanes?
(a) Oedipus Rex
15. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
(a) it didn't matter what he was surrounded with
(b) the body must return to dust
(c) he should have with him the same kind of things that he had in life
(d) they would destroy the body
Short Answer Questions
1. What had the most freedom as an artist?
2. Greek writing is based on __________________.
3. The Greeks had different rules of standards that applied to different people. This is evidence of their ________________.
4. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
5. Those who are primarily concerned with the spiritual become ___________.
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)