|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Greek architecture of the time was _________________________________.
(a) highly ornate
(b) a simple expression of the intellect
(c) followed the style of the Egyptians
(d) influenced by the East
2. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
3. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
(a) be translated into English
(b) have the style and meaning lost in the translation
(c) be interpreted
(d) be accomodated to the English style
4. Hamilton feels there is a great deal of similarity between Aristophanes and the comedy of ______________________.
(a) seventeenth centiry France
(b) modern day Broadway
(c) sixteenth century England
(d) fifteenth century England
5. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death?
(a) the fairness of the ruler
(b) belief in God
(c) good living conditions
(d) the misery of everyday life
6. The Greeks _________________________.
(a) limited intellectual thought to priests
(b) applied no limits to thoughts
(c) limited thought to certain fields
(d) practiced mind control
7. In Egypt ___________________________.
(a) the artist had some freedom of expression
(b) the priests dictated the pattern for art
(c) there was no interest in art
(d) the artist had total freedom of expression
8. The Buddhist artist ________________________.
(a) creates from within
(b) copies, doesn't create
(c) creates what he is told to create
(d) the Buddhists have no interest in art
9. What was not a function of the chorus?
(a) to answer questions from the audience
(b) to sing
(c) to present the author's views and opinions
(d) to dance
10. The first scientists were the _________________.
11. The Greek acceptance of reality, as given in an oration by Pericles, makes them ___________________________.
(b) seem cold and unemotional
(d) interested in humanity
12. Herodotus is known as ______________.
(a) the father of travel
(b) the father of comedy
(c) the father of history
(d) the father of tragedy
13. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
14. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
(a) in the schools
(b) in the forums
(c) in the temples
(d) wherever men met
15. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the intellectuals
(b) the common man
(c) the kind
(d) the athletes of the games
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greeks had different rules of standards that applied to different people. This is evidence of their ________________.
2. The power of the Egyptian priests came from ____________________________.
3. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
4. Which city was responsible for a new civilization?
5. How did the Greeks feel about slavery?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)