|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The style of Greek writing is _____________________________________.
(a) the same as English writing
(b) incapable of being translated into English
(c) more ornate than English writing
(d) very different from the styles of English writing
2. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
(a) the audience is ignorant of literature
(b) the audience must be educated
(c) the audience is aware of the current thought and literature
(d) the audience will not understand his points without the chorus
3. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
(a) was to function as advisors
(b) was limited to matters of religion only
(c) was to teach the population
(d) covered all intellectual activitries
4. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
(a) he addressed serious issues
(b) he was the last spokesman for the aristocracy
(c) he represented the youth
(d) he represented a new movement
5. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the intellectuals
(b) the athletes of the games
(c) the kind
(d) the common man
6. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
7. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
(a) about the same
(b) easier to interpret
(c) much simpler
(d) very ornate
8. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
(a) the Persian victory over Athens
(b) the Athenian victory over Rome
(c) the Athenian victory over the Persians
(d) the Athenian victory over Sparta
9. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
10. The Greek artist was __________________________.
(b) dictated to by the priests
(c) not creative
(d) limited by his mind and what he saw
11. What was characteristic of Greek art?
(a) mind stronger than spirit
(b) spirit stronger than mind
(c) mind and spirit in equal balance
(d) mind and spirit have no effect on art
12. How many actors were in a play written by Aristophanes?
(a) as many as needed
13. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
14. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
(a) intellectual activities
(b) the living
(d) the dead
15. The war with the Persians ended with the battle at ___________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Herodotus is known as ______________.
2. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
3. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
4. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
5. What did the world of the dead represent to the ancient Egyptians?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)