|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Compared to Aristophanes _____________________.
(a) Gilbert is more restrained
(b) both are just as risque
(c) neither is risque
(d) Gilbert is bawdier
2. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
3. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
4. One of the differences in the society of the Greeks was the __________________.
(a) emphasis on ignorance
(b) role of reason
(c) lack of caring
(d) emphasis on fear
5. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
(a) he should have with him the same kind of things that he had in life
(b) they would destroy the body
(c) it didn't matter what he was surrounded with
(d) the body must return to dust
6. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
7. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
(a) there was no literary class
(b) the priests were the literary class
(c) the teachers were the literary class
(d) there was a literary class
8. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
9. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
10. Which of the following names is not considered to be one of the imponderables?
11. The literature indicates that life differed in Athens, as compared to Egypt, by which century?
12. The term used to describe the Greek artist is ______________________.
(d) spiritual materialists
13. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
(a) was to teach the population
(b) was limited to matters of religion only
(c) was to function as advisors
(d) covered all intellectual activitries
14. The artist conceptualizes reality in the form of _______________________.
(a) there is no reality in art
(b) the symbol
(c) pure concepts
(d) he ignores reality
15. What was characteristic of Greek art?
(a) mind and spirit in equal balance
(b) spirit stronger than mind
(c) mind and spirit have no effect on art
(d) mind stronger than spirit
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a name associated with the Athens civilization of this time?
2. What was not a function of the chorus?
3. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
4. Herodotus is known as ______________.
5. The works of Aristophanes were _______________________.
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)