|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, The Way of the Modern World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first games, contests and competitions were held in _____________.
2. The Greek gods and goddesses began with the writing of _____________________________.
3. What was not a function of the chorus?
(a) to answer questions from the audience
(b) to sing
(c) to dance
(d) to present the author's views and opinions
4. The artist conceptualizes reality in the form of _______________________.
(a) the symbol
(b) pure concepts
(c) there is no reality in art
(d) he ignores reality
5. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
(a) endure their fate because there is no way out
(b) fight their fate
(c) look for a way out
(d) avoid their fate
Short Answer Questions
1. The priests of ancient Egypt _____________________________.
2. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
3. Which of the following is not one of the four elements common to every tragedy?
4. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
5. Poetic license ________________________________________.
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)