|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, The Way of the Modern World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
(a) life in Athens
(b) the war with Sparta
(c) the history of the godw
(d) his travels and the Persian War
2. What was not a function of the chorus?
(a) to dance
(b) to present the author's views and opinions
(c) to sing
(d) to answer questions from the audience
3. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
(a) in the temples
(b) in the forums
(c) wherever men met
(d) in the schools
4. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
5. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
(a) was to teach the population
(b) covered all intellectual activitries
(c) was to function as advisors
(d) was limited to matters of religion only
Short Answer Questions
1. What was characteristic of Greek art?
2. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
3. Which Pharaoh opposed the priests?
4. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
5. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)