|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, The Way of the Modern World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
2. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) both were powerful
(b) Sparta was weaker than Athens
(c) both were weak
(d) Athens was weaker than Sparta
3. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
(a) intellectual activities
(b) the dead
(c) the living
4. The Ancient Greeks of the time exhibited a ________________________.
(a) lack of interest in cultural and intellectual pursuits
(b) new power of the mind
(c) a desire for imperialism
(d) the same interests as other civilizations
5. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
(a) a great deal of violence
(b) a great struggle
(c) calmness, serenity and absence of struggle
(d) emotional upheaval
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Pericles, _________________________.
2. The freedom of Athenian thought and expression led to ____________________.
3. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
4. Viewing things as part of the whole applies to all but _______________.
5. During the war, Thucydides was _______________________.
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)