|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, The Way of the Modern World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
(a) the power of the Spartans had to be stopped
(b) wealth attracted the poorer to attack
(c) power brought about its own destruction
(d) the power of the Athenians had to be stopped
2. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
(a) the suffering of the soul
(b) physical pain
3. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
4. Which city was responsible for a new civilization?
5. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
(a) man has no cont rol over either
(b) man can control outer change
(c) outer change does not affect inner control
(d) outer change brings about inner chance
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not a similarity between Macbeth and Aeschylus?
2. Hamilton compares reading Aristophanes to reading a _________________.
3. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
4. Which of the following is not a play of Euripides'?
5. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)