|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, The Way of the Modern World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Viewing things as part of the whole applies to all but _______________.
2. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(a) inadequately armed
(d) poor fighters
3. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
(a) use their power to help others
(b) ignore their responsibilities
(c) use their power to improve their own position
(d) abuse the power
4. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
(a) calmness, serenity and absence of struggle
(b) emotional upheaval
(c) a great deal of violence
(d) a great struggle
5. Which is one of the two periods of tragedy in literary history?
(a) the Rome of Julius Caesar
(b) the England of Henry V
(c) the Athens of Pericles
(d) the Constantinople of the Ottomans
Short Answer Questions
1. Which role did Aeschylus not fulfill?
2. Compared to the Hebrew writing in the Bible, Greek writing is ______________.
3. Herodotus reported _____________________________.
4. The power of the Egyptian priests came from ____________________________.
5. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)