|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, The Way of the Modern World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
(a) the outline against the sky
(b) the building's relation to the hills and sea
(c) the setting
(d) the ornateness of the building itself
2. The artist conceptualizes reality in the form of _______________________.
(a) pure concepts
(b) the symbol
(c) he ignores reality
(d) there is no reality in art
3. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
4. Which of the following terms did not apply to the Greek city state?
(a) misery of life
5. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
(a) draws the moral for his audience
(b) lets the audience draw its own conclusions
(c) doesn't deal in morales
(d) introduces humon into the situation
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greeks had different rules of standards that applied to different people. This is evidence of their ________________.
2. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
3. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
4. How did the Greeks feel about slavery?
5. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)