|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, The Way of the Modern World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
(a) wealth attracted the poorer to attack
(b) power brought about its own destruction
(c) the power of the Spartans had to be stopped
(d) the power of the Athenians had to be stopped
2. Mankind cannot capture the way of the Greeks because they _______________________.
(a) ignore spirit
(b) don't care about balance
(c) set mind against spirit
(d) ignore mind
3. Which of the following is not a name associated with the Athens civilization of this time?
4. The Buddhist artist ________________________.
(a) creates what he is told to create
(b) copies, doesn't create
(c) creates from within
(d) the Buddhists have no interest in art
5. In both literary periods of tragedy, what was not true?
(a) thrilling things were happening
(b) they were times of darkness and defeat
(c) times were prosperous
(d) they were periods of great military victories
Short Answer Questions
1. Euripides wrote the Trojan Women to _______________________________.
2. What was the crime that Socrates committed that resulted in his execution?
3. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
4. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
5. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)