|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, The Way of the Modern World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(c) John Milton
2. What was not a function of the chorus?
(a) to dance
(b) to present the author's views and opinions
(c) to sing
(d) to answer questions from the audience
3. What did the Greeks view as important in men?
(a) the personal qualities of the individual
(b) his lifestyle
(c) the manner of presentation
(d) the qualities the individual shared with mankind
4. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
(a) avoid their fate
(b) fight their fate
(c) look for a way out
(d) endure their fate because there is no way out
5. Herodotus is known as ______________.
(a) the father of comedy
(b) the father of tragedy
(c) the father of history
(d) the father of travel
Short Answer Questions
1. During the war, Thucydides was _______________________.
2. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
3. Which of the following is not one of the plays of Aristophanes?
4. According to Hamilton, tragedy is the domain of whom?
5. Viewing things as part of the whole applies to all but _______________.
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)