|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, The Way of the Modern World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
2. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
3. Before the development of Athens, which group handled intellectual activities?
(a) anyone who wanted to
(b) the priests
(c) the common man
4. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
(b) the poetry in Greek tragedy
(d) the poetry in Greek comedy
5. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the common man
(b) the athletes of the games
(c) the kind
(d) the intellectuals
Short Answer Questions
1. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
2. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
3. What did the world of the dead represent to the ancient Egyptians?
4. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
5. Xenophon felt that it was significant ________________________________.
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)