|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, The Way of the Modern World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
(a) the priests were the literary class
(b) the teachers were the literary class
(c) there was no literary class
(d) there was a literary class
2. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
(a) use their power to help others
(b) abuse the power
(c) use their power to improve their own position
(d) ignore their responsibilities
3. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(b) full of symbolism
(d) plain and matter of fact
4. In designing a Greek building, the Greek architect takes into consideration ___________________.
(a) the setting
(b) the outline against the sky
(c) the ornateness of the building itself
(d) the building's relation to the hills and sea
5. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first writer to condemn slavery?
2. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
3. The only sources of knowledge in Greece were the _______________.
4. According to Pericles, _________________________.
5. How many actors were in a play written by Aristophanes?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)