|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, Euripides: The Modern Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Herodotus was the first Greek _______________________________.
(a) to write in prose and have it accepted as poetry
(b) to take an interest in mankind
(c) to write of history
(d) to write in verse
2. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
(a) avoid their fate
(b) look for a way out
(c) fight their fate
(d) endure their fate because there is no way out
3. Aeschylus was ______________________.
(a) a writer of mystery
(b) the last writer of tragedy
(c) a writer of prose
(d) the first writer of tragedy
4. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
(a) were not honorable men
(b) were liars and cheaters
(c) had its own standard to live by
(d) lived by the same standards as others
5. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
2. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
3. The Persian plan to defeat the Ten Thousand was to _________________________________.
4. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
5. The Greeks classified Pindar in the ________________________.
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)