|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, Euripides: The Modern Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
2. Which tragedian is considered to be the most modern?
3. The Greeks _________________________.
(a) practiced mind control
(b) limited thought to certain fields
(c) applied no limits to thoughts
(d) limited intellectual thought to priests
4. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
(a) Greek audiences like tear-jerkers
(b) Greek thinking revealed that there was an injustice inherent in nature
(c) there was a lot of tragedy in everyday life
(d) life was characterized by human misery
5. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
(a) is a mixture of pain and pleasure
(b) makes people sad
(c) is a mixture of comedy and sadness
(d) makes people cry
Short Answer Questions
1. Thucydides wrote a history of the war between ______________________.
2. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
3. Through Xenophon, one can view the life of the _______________________.
4. Compared to the other tragedians, Euripides is described as the _________________.
5. What was important to Greek poets?
This section contains 188 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)