|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, Euripides: The Modern Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aeschylus had been ________________________-.
(a) a temple priest
(b) a teacher at the Academy
(c) a military general
(d) a Marathon warrior
2. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) Mighty City
(b) City of Freedom
(c) City of Love
(d) Tyrant City
3. The Greek artist was __________________________.
(a) dictated to by the priests
(b) not creative
(c) limited by his mind and what he saw
4. Xenophon suggested that _____________________________________.
(a) there was no way to end the war
(b) Athens and Sparta fight to the bitter end
(c) Athens merge with Sparta
(d) Athens and Sparta hold peace talks at Delphi
5. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
(a) abuse the power
(b) use their power to improve their own position
(c) ignore their responsibilities
(d) use their power to help others
Short Answer Questions
1. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
2. Herodotus' History is concerned with ___________________________.
3. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
4. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
5. Greek tragedy came into being because _______________________________________.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)