|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, Euripides: The Modern Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
(a) he addressed serious issues
(b) he represented a new movement
(c) he was the last spokesman for the aristocracy
(d) he represented the youth
2. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) both were weak
(b) both were powerful
(c) Athens was weaker than Sparta
(d) Sparta was weaker than Athens
3. Opposition to slavery was open and evident in the time of ______________.
4. According to Pericles, _________________________.
(a) words are to be used sparingly
(b) writing should be ornate
(c) repetition is good
(d) the longer a passage is, the better it is
5. The Ancient Greeks of the time exhibited a ________________________.
(a) the same interests as other civilizations
(b) lack of interest in cultural and intellectual pursuits
(c) a desire for imperialism
(d) new power of the mind
Short Answer Questions
1. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
2. Which of the following is not a name associated with the Athens civilization of this time?
3. What word best describes the ancient Athenians?
4. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
5. Aristophanes is described as _____________________.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)