|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, Euripides: The Modern Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time of Sophocles ________________________.
(a) the teachers were the literary class
(b) the priests were the literary class
(c) there was no literary class
(d) there was a literary class
2. The works of Aristophanes were _______________________.
(a) enjoyed by both men and women
(b) for athletes only
(c) for men only
(d) for the upper classes only
3. What is the view of man?
(a) man is not helpless and controls his fate
(b) man is helpless with his fate predetermined
(c) man can sometimes change his fate
(d) there is no such thing as fate
4. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
(a) the Athenian victory over the Persians
(b) the Athenian victory over Sparta
(c) the Athenian victory over Rome
(d) the Persian victory over Athens
5. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
(a) the body must return to dust
(b) they would destroy the body
(c) it didn't matter what he was surrounded with
(d) he should have with him the same kind of things that he had in life
Short Answer Questions
1. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
2. Before the development of Athens, which group handled intellectual activities?
3. Aristophanes is described as _____________________.
4. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
5. Herodotus is known as ______________.
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)