|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, Euripides: The Modern Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aristophanes is described as _____________________.
(a) the Old Comedy of Athens
(b) the Old Tragedy of Athens
(c) the Old Man of Athens
(d) The Athenian Comedian
2. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
(b) great intellect
(c) poetic expression
(d) beutiful workmanship
3. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(a) poor fighters
(c) inadequately armed
4. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
(a) is a mixture of comedy and sadness
(b) makes people cry
(c) is a mixture of pain and pleasure
(d) makes people sad
5. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
(a) much simpler
(b) easier to interpret
(c) about the same
(d) very ornate
Short Answer Questions
1. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
2. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
3. The term used to describe the Greek artist is ______________________.
4. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
5. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)