|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, Euripides: The Modern Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(a) inadequately armed
(b) poor fighters
2. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
(a) makes people sad
(b) is a mixture of pain and pleasure
(c) makes people cry
(d) is a mixture of comedy and sadness
3. Greek art is based on _________________________.
(a) abstractions of reality
(c) the reality of what the artist sees
(d) the orders of the priests
4. Which role did Aeschylus not fulfill?
(a) theater owner
(c) costume designer
(d) scenery designer
5. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
(a) he represented a new movement
(b) he was the last spokesman for the aristocracy
(c) he represented the youth
(d) he addressed serious issues
Short Answer Questions
1. Reality to the ancient Egyptian, was directed toward _____________________.
2. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
3. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
4. According to Hamilton, tragedy is the domain of whom?
5. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)