|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Aeschylus: The First Dramatist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
(a) a great deal of violence
(b) calmness, serenity and absence of struggle
(c) a great struggle
(d) emotional upheaval
2. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
(a) covered all intellectual activitries
(b) was to function as advisors
(c) was limited to matters of religion only
(d) was to teach the population
3. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
(a) lived by the same standards as others
(b) were not honorable men
(c) had its own standard to live by
(d) were liars and cheaters
4. The Buddhist artist ________________________.
(a) creates what he is told to create
(b) copies, doesn't create
(c) the Buddhists have no interest in art
(d) creates from within
5. What is not a similarity between Macbeth and Aeschylus?
(a) the castles were bright and cheerful places
(b) there was an atmosphere of death
(c) there was an atmosphere of evil and doom
(d) it was always night at the castle
Short Answer Questions
1. Xenophon is famous for his book called __________________________________.
2. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
3. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
4. The only sources of knowledge in Greece were the _______________.
5. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)