|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Aeschylus: The First Dramatist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
(a) the Athenian victory over Sparta
(b) the Athenian victory over Rome
(c) the Athenian victory over the Persians
(d) the Persian victory over Athens
2. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
(a) the beauty of the world
(b) the misery of the world
(c) pain and suffering
(d) the reality of life
3. Xenophon felt that ___________________________________.
(a) disputes should be settled by war
(b) diplomacy should be used to avert war
(c) states should be orientated toward war
(d) all states should seek power
4. The Greek acceptance of reality, as given in an oration by Pericles, makes them ___________________________.
(a) seem cold and unemotional
(b) interested in humanity
5. Which one of Shakespeare's tragedies comes closest to the tragedies of Aeschylus?
(a) Romeo and Juliet
(b) King Lear
Short Answer Questions
1. Greek art is based on _________________________.
2. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
3. What was the major issue in the war with the Persians?
4. The priests of ancient Egypt _____________________________.
5. The style of Greek writing is _____________________________________.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)