|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Aeschylus: The First Dramatist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
(a) The History of the Athenian War
(b) The History of the Spartan War
(c) The History of the Peloponnesian War
(d) The History of the Trojan War
2. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
3. In Egypt ___________________________.
(a) the artist had some freedom of expression
(b) the priests dictated the pattern for art
(c) there was no interest in art
(d) the artist had total freedom of expression
4. What did the world of the dead represent to the ancient Egyptians?
(a) the continuation of misery
(b) existence with God
(c) security, peace and pleasure
(d) the movement to a higher level
5. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(a) plain and matter of fact
(b) full of symbolism
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
2. Xenophon felt that it was significant ________________________________.
3. According to Hamilton, tragedy is the domain of whom?
4. Tragedy in drama began with whom?
5. Greek writing is based on __________________.
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)