|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Aeschylus: The First Dramatist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a young man, Xenophon was ________________________.
(a) sent to Athens to find a wife
(b) sent to study with Socrates
(c) exiled from Sparta
(d) sent to work in Athens
2. Which one of Shakespeare's tragedies comes closest to the tragedies of Aeschylus?
(a) Romeo and Juliet
(d) King Lear
3. Which of the following is not a name associated with Greek tragedy?
4. According to Hamilton, tragedy involves _________________________.
(c) the suffering of the soul
(d) physical pain
5. The tragedies of Aeschylus present death and suffering in a way that __________________________.
(a) depresses the audience
(b) makes it comical
(c) does not depress the audience
(d) brings the audience to tears
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
2. The artist conceptualizes reality in the form of _______________________.
3. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
4. Before the development of Athens, which group handled intellectual activities?
5. The subject of Greek tragedy came from _________________________.
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)