|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Aeschylus: The First Dramatist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Poetic license ________________________________________.
(a) calls for simple statements
(b) requires facts
(c) allows the poet to write in whatever way he wants
(d) requires briefness
2. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
3. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
(b) full of imagery
(c) full of symbolism
4. Aristophanes is described as _____________________.
(a) the Old Comedy of Athens
(b) the Old Man of Athens
(c) the Old Tragedy of Athens
(d) The Athenian Comedian
5. Xenophon suggested that _____________________________________.
(a) there was no way to end the war
(b) Athens merge with Sparta
(c) Athens and Sparta hold peace talks at Delphi
(d) Athens and Sparta fight to the bitter end
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Pericles, _________________________.
2. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
3. Which of the following is not one of the four elements common to every tragedy?
4. Compared to the Hebrew writing in the Bible, Greek writing is ______________.
5. The tragedies of Aeschylus present death and suffering in a way that __________________________.
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)