|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Aeschylus: The First Dramatist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) Sparta was weaker than Athens
(b) Athens was weaker than Sparta
(c) both were powerful
(d) both were weak
2. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
(a) factual without any use to others
(b) interesting to read
(c) ornately written
(d) useful to others
3. As a young man, Xenophon was ________________________.
(a) exiled from Sparta
(b) sent to study with Socrates
(c) sent to work in Athens
(d) sent to Athens to find a wife
4. The artist conceptualizes reality in the form of _______________________.
(a) he ignores reality
(b) there is no reality in art
(c) pure concepts
(d) the symbol
5. One way to learn the values of a society is to look at ______________________.
(b) its literature
(d) daily life
Short Answer Questions
1. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
2. Xenophon because wealthy by __________________________.
3. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
4. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
5. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)