|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Herodotus: The First Sight-Seer.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the plays of Aristophanes?
(b) Oedipus Rex
2. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(a) full of symbolism
(c) plain and matter of fact
3. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
(a) was limited to matters of religion only
(b) was to function as advisors
(c) covered all intellectual activitries
(d) was to teach the population
4. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
5. What is the reason for the Egyptian preoccupation with death?
(a) belief in God
(b) the misery of everyday life
(c) good living conditions
(d) the fairness of the ruler
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city did Pindar live in?
2. Marathon was the site of ____________________________.
3. The Egyptians believed that when a man died _____________________________________.
4. By the time Aristophanes began writing, Greek drama was ________________________.
5. The term used to describe the Greek artist is ______________________.
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)