|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Herodotus: The First Sight-Seer.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
(a) a lack of the spiritual
(b) physical and spiritual perfection
(c) physical slovenliness
(d) moral corruption
2. One writer whose works reveal the values of the society is ______________.
3. Herodotus is known as ______________.
(a) the father of travel
(b) the father of tragedy
(c) the father of history
(d) the father of comedy
4. The Ancient Greeks of the time exhibited a ________________________.
(a) new power of the mind
(b) the same interests as other civilizations
(c) lack of interest in cultural and intellectual pursuits
(d) a desire for imperialism
5. According to Pericles, _________________________.
(a) writing should be ornate
(b) words are to be used sparingly
(c) the longer a passage is, the better it is
(d) repetition is good
Short Answer Questions
1. The war with the Persians ended with the battle at ___________________.
2. The first games, contests and competitions were held in _____________.
3. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
4. How did the Greeks feel about slavery?
5. Hamilton feels there is a great deal of similarity between Aristophanes and the comedy of ______________________.
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)