|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, The Athenians as Plato Saw Them.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
(a) abuse the power
(b) use their power to help others
(c) ignore their responsibilities
(d) use their power to improve their own position
2. The games and competitions were considered so important by the Greeks that __________________________________.
(a) they were only held when the king wanted them
(b) they were suspended during wars and conflicts
(c) they were cancelled for lack of participation
(d) a truce of God was called at the start of the games
3. What did the world of the dead represent to the ancient Egyptians?
(a) existence with God
(b) the continuation of misery
(c) security, peace and pleasure
(d) the movement to a higher level
4. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
(a) most difficult to read and translate
(b) easiest to read and translate
(c) easiest to read but hardest to translate
5. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the kind
(b) the intellectuals
(c) the athletes of the games
(d) the common man
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, among the following, was a teacher?
2. In the ancient world, before the rise of Athens and the Greeks, the greatest civilization was ________________.
3. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
4. What was the crime that Socrates committed that resulted in his execution?
5. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)