|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, The Athenians as Plato Saw Them.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
(a) the poetry in Greek tragedy
(d) the poetry in Greek comedy
2. Which of the following is not a name associated with the Athens civilization of this time?
3. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
(a) easiest to read and translate
(b) most difficult to read and translate
(c) easiest to read but hardest to translate
4. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
(a) be accomodated to the English style
(b) be interpreted
(c) be translated into English
(d) have the style and meaning lost in the translation
5. The games and competitions were considered so important by the Greeks that __________________________________.
(a) a truce of God was called at the start of the games
(b) they were suspended during wars and conflicts
(c) they were only held when the king wanted them
(d) they were cancelled for lack of participation
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following would you expect to give the shortest account of a situation?
2. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
3. The world's first academy was in _____________________.
4. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
5. The first games, contests and competitions were held in _____________.
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)