|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Greek Way of Writing.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
(a) represented by the gods and goddesses they believed in
(d) not important in the life of the ancient Greeks
2. The games and competitions were considered so important by the Greeks that __________________________________.
(a) they were only held when the king wanted them
(b) they were cancelled for lack of participation
(c) they were suspended during wars and conflicts
(d) a truce of God was called at the start of the games
3. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
(a) be translated into English
(b) be interpreted
(c) have the style and meaning lost in the translation
(d) be accomodated to the English style
4. The Greeks _________________________.
(a) limited intellectual thought to priests
(b) applied no limits to thoughts
(c) practiced mind control
(d) limited thought to certain fields
5. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
(a) the poetry in Greek comedy
(b) the poetry in Greek tragedy
Short Answer Questions
1. The distinction between mind and spirit is important in the area of ___________.
2. The first scientists were the _________________.
3. Who was the only Athenian to suffer death for his opinions?
4. Which city was responsible for a new civilization?
5. Which of the following terms does not describe Greek writing?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)