|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Greek Way of Writing.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(a) plain and matter of fact
(c) full of symbolism
2. In Greece, the role of the priests _____________________________.
(a) was to teach the population
(b) was limited to matters of religion only
(c) covered all intellectual activitries
(d) was to function as advisors
3. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
(a) very ornate
(b) easier to interpret
(c) about the same
(d) much simpler
4. Those who are primarily concerned with the spiritual become ___________.
5. The priests of ancient Egypt _____________________________.
(a) were powerless
(b) guarded their position of power as intellectuals
(c) taught the common man
(d) yielded to the power of the king
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
2. Before the development of Athens, which group handled intellectual activities?
3. Which city was responsible for a new civilization?
4. One of the differences in the society of the Greeks was the __________________.
5. Greek art is based on _________________________.
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)