|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, The Religion of the Greeks.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
(c) full of imagery
(d) full of symbolism
2. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(b) the aristocracy
(c) the elected leaders
(d) noone in particular
3. As a young man, Xenophon was ________________________.
(a) sent to Athens to find a wife
(b) exiled from Sparta
(c) sent to study with Socrates
(d) sent to work in Athens
4. The power of the Egyptian priests came from ____________________________.
(a) their power over the king
(b) their ability to teach
(c) the people
(d) the ingorance and fear of others
5. Greek tragedy is characterized by ____________________________________.
(a) a great struggle
(b) calmness, serenity and absence of struggle
(c) a great deal of violence
(d) emotional upheaval
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
2. One way to learn the values of a society is to look at ______________________.
3. What does Hamilton consider to be the greatest of all Greek poetry?
4. Until the time of Aeschylus, poetry was concerned with _____________________________.
5. Euripides wrote the Trojan Women to _______________________________.
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)