|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, The Religion of the Greeks.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word best describes the ancient Athenians?
(b) contol by priests
2. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
(a) doesn't deal in morales
(b) draws the moral for his audience
(c) introduces humon into the situation
(d) lets the audience draw its own conclusions
3. In Egypt ___________________________.
(a) the artist had total freedom of expression
(b) there was no interest in art
(c) the priests dictated the pattern for art
(d) the artist had some freedom of expression
4. What was characteristic of Greek art?
(a) spirit stronger than mind
(b) mind stronger than spirit
(c) mind and spirit in equal balance
(d) mind and spirit have no effect on art
5. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
(a) the audience will not understand his points without the chorus
(b) the audience is ignorant of literature
(c) the audience is aware of the current thought and literature
(d) the audience must be educated
Short Answer Questions
1. The primary interest of the ancient Egyptians was a preoccupation with _______________.
2. Tragedy, in Hamilton's view, ________________________________.
3. The Greek acceptance of reality, as given in an oration by Pericles, makes them ___________________________.
4. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
5. According to Pericles, _________________________.
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)