|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Pindar: The Last Greek Aristocrat.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following would you expect to give the shortest account of a situation?
(a) the Bible
(b) the Hebrews
(d) the Greeks
2. Greek art is based on _________________________.
(a) the orders of the priests
(c) the reality of what the artist sees
(d) abstractions of reality
3. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(b) the elected leaders
(c) noone in particular
(d) the aristocracy
4. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
(a) be translated into English
(b) be interpreted
(c) be accomodated to the English style
(d) have the style and meaning lost in the translation
5. Poetic license ________________________________________.
(a) requires facts
(b) allows the poet to write in whatever way he wants
(c) calls for simple statements
(d) requires briefness
Short Answer Questions
1. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
2. Greek writing is based on __________________.
3. Which city was responsible for a new civilization?
4. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
5. A Greek writer was concerned with ______________________.
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)