|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, Xenophon: The Ordinary Athenian Gentleman.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
(a) be interpreted
(b) have the style and meaning lost in the translation
(c) be accomodated to the English style
(d) be translated into English
2. How old was Herodotus at the time of the defeat of the Persians?
3. What word best describes the ancient Athenians?
(b) contol by priests
4. The Persian plan to defeat the Ten Thousand was to _________________________________.
(a) split the force in half
(b) kill all the officers and leaders
(c) there was no plan
(d) make slaves of the leaders
5. The style of Greek writing is _____________________________________.
(a) very different from the styles of English writing
(b) incapable of being translated into English
(c) more ornate than English writing
(d) the same as English writing
Short Answer Questions
1. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
2. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
3. Intellectual discussions took place _________________.
4. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
5. Through Xenophon, one can view the life of the _______________________.
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)