|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, Xenophon: The Ordinary Athenian Gentleman.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The literature indicates that life differed in Athens, as compared to Egypt, by which century?
2. Opposition to slavery was open and evident in the time of ______________.
3. The dialogues of Plato indicate that Athenians _________________________-.
(a) wanted to do their own thinking
(b) were not intereted in intellectual discussions
(c) were not interested in intellectual thinking
(d) delegated intellectual things to the teachers
4. Greek writing can easily ________________________________________.
(a) be translated into English
(b) be interpreted
(c) have the style and meaning lost in the translation
(d) be accomodated to the English style
5. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
(b) full of symbolism
(d) plain and matter of fact
Short Answer Questions
1. The style of Greek writing is _____________________________________.
2. Herodotus was the first Greek _______________________________.
3. A Greek writer was concerned with ______________________.
4. The Greek acceptance of reality, as given in an oration by Pericles, makes them ___________________________.
5. The only sources of knowledge in Greece were the _______________.
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)