|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, Xenophon: The Ordinary Athenian Gentleman.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Pericles, _________________________.
(a) the longer a passage is, the better it is
(b) repetition is good
(c) words are to be used sparingly
(d) writing should be ornate
2. Greek writing is based on __________________.
3. Xenophon suggested that _____________________________________.
(a) there was no way to end the war
(b) Athens and Sparta fight to the bitter end
(c) Athens and Sparta hold peace talks at Delphi
(d) Athens merge with Sparta
4. The spiritual side of the ancient Greeks is _______________________________.
(a) not important in the life of the ancient Greeks
(b) represented by the gods and goddesses they believed in
5. The games and competitions were considered so important by the Greeks that __________________________________.
(a) they were cancelled for lack of participation
(b) they were only held when the king wanted them
(c) they were suspended during wars and conflicts
(d) a truce of God was called at the start of the games
Short Answer Questions
1. Through Xenophon, one can view the life of the _______________________.
2. The first games, contests and competitions were held in _____________.
3. As a young man, Xenophon was ________________________.
4. How did the Greeks feel about slavery?
5. Opposition to slavery was open and evident in the time of ______________.
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)