|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the war, Thucydides was _______________________.
(a) an Athenian general
(b) a businessman
(c) a diplomat
(d) a Spartan general
2. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
(a) Sparta merged wih Athens
(b) the Athenian culture spread
(c) the Athenian culture and its contirubtions to the world ended
(d) Sparta adopted the Athenian culture
3. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
(a) introduces humon into the situation
(b) draws the moral for his audience
(c) lets the audience draw its own conclusions
(d) doesn't deal in morales
4. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(a) inadequately armed
(b) poor fighters
5. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
(a) lived by the same standards as others
(b) were not honorable men
(c) had its own standard to live by
(d) were liars and cheaters
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the view of man?
2. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
3. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
4. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
5. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)