|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
2. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) Sparta was weaker than Athens
(b) Athens was weaker than Sparta
(c) both were powerful
(d) both were weak
3. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
(a) were liars and cheaters
(b) lived by the same standards as others
(c) were not honorable men
(d) had its own standard to live by
4. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
5. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
(a) lets the audience draw its own conclusions
(b) draws the moral for his audience
(c) doesn't deal in morales
(d) introduces humon into the situation
Short Answer Questions
1. Who laid the foundation for the Greek democracy?
2. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
3. What was important to Greek poets?
4. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
5. The Greeks classified Pindar in the ________________________.
This section contains 178 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)