|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(c) John Milton
2. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
(a) a lack of the spiritual
(b) moral corruption
(c) physical and spiritual perfection
(d) physical slovenliness
3. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
(a) easiest to read and translate
(c) easiest to read but hardest to translate
(d) most difficult to read and translate
4. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(a) poor fighters
(d) inadequately armed
5. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(a) the elected leaders
(c) noone in particular
(d) the aristocracy
Short Answer Questions
1. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
2. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
3. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
4. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
5. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)