|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
2. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(c) John Milton
3. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
4. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(b) Oedipus Rex
(d) Oesipus at Colonus
5. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
(a) lived by the same standards as others
(b) had its own standard to live by
(c) were not honorable men
(d) were liars and cheaters
Short Answer Questions
1. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
2. What is the view of man?
3. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
4. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
5. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)