|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) Mighty City
(b) City of Love
(c) City of Freedom
(d) Tyrant City
2. What was important to Greek poets?
3. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) Sparta was weaker than Athens
(b) both were powerful
(c) Athens was weaker than Sparta
(d) both were weak
4. What is the view of man?
(a) man can sometimes change his fate
(b) there is no such thing as fate
(c) man is helpless with his fate predetermined
(d) man is not helpless and controls his fate
5. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
2. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
3. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
4. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
5. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)