|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
(a) they became slaves
(b) they were executed
(c) they were released after the war's end
(d) they were exchanged for enemy prisoners
2. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
(a) full of imagery
(c) full of symbolism
3. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
4. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
(a) power brought about its own destruction
(b) the power of the Spartans had to be stopped
(c) wealth attracted the poorer to attack
(d) the power of the Athenians had to be stopped
5. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) City of Love
(b) Tyrant City
(c) City of Freedom
(d) Mighty City
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
2. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
3. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
4. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
5. Thucydides wrote a history of the war between ______________________.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)