|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(a) the elected leaders
(c) the aristocracy
(d) noone in particular
2. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the intellectuals
(b) the kind
(c) the common man
(d) the athletes of the games
3. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
(a) a lack of the spiritual
(b) physical and spiritual perfection
(c) physical slovenliness
(d) moral corruption
4. What is the view of man?
(a) man is helpless with his fate predetermined
(b) man is not helpless and controls his fate
(c) man can sometimes change his fate
(d) there is no such thing as fate
5. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
(a) Sparta adopted the Athenian culture
(b) the Athenian culture and its contirubtions to the world ended
(c) Sparta merged wih Athens
(d) the Athenian culture spread
Short Answer Questions
1. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
2. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
3. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
4. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
5. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)