|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
(a) he addressed serious issues
(b) he was the last spokesman for the aristocracy
(c) he represented a new movement
(d) he represented the youth
2. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(a) Oesipus at Colonus
(c) Oedipus Rex
3. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
(a) they were exchanged for enemy prisoners
(b) they were released after the war's end
(c) they became slaves
(d) they were executed
4. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
(a) man can control outer change
(b) outer change does not affect inner control
(c) outer change brings about inner chance
(d) man has no cont rol over either
5. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
2. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
3. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
4. Thucydides felt that ___________________________________.
5. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)