|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the common man
(b) the intellectuals
(c) the kind
(d) the athletes of the games
2. What is the view of man?
(a) man can sometimes change his fate
(b) man is helpless with his fate predetermined
(c) there is no such thing as fate
(d) man is not helpless and controls his fate
3. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
(a) wealth attracted the poorer to attack
(b) the power of the Spartans had to be stopped
(c) the power of the Athenians had to be stopped
(d) power brought about its own destruction
4. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) both were weak
(b) Sparta was weaker than Athens
(c) Athens was weaker than Sparta
(d) both were powerful
5. What was important to Greek poets?
Short Answer Questions
1. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
2. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
3. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
4. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
5. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)