|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thucydides wrote a history of the war between ______________________.
(a) Athens and Rome
(b) Athens and Sparta
(c) Sparta and Thebes
(d) Thebes and Peloponnesia
2. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
(a) lived by the same standards as others
(b) had its own standard to live by
(c) were liars and cheaters
(d) were not honorable men
3. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
(b) fair hamony
4. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
(a) easiest to read but hardest to translate
(c) most difficult to read and translate
(d) easiest to read and translate
5. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
(b) Oedipus Rex
(d) Oesipus at Colonus
Short Answer Questions
1. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
2. What is the view of man?
3. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
4. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
5. Why is Pindar considered to be important?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)