|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
(a) beutiful workmanship
(b) great intellect
(c) poetic expression
2. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) City of Love
(b) City of Freedom
(c) Tyrant City
(d) Mighty City
3. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
4. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
(a) The History of the Trojan War
(b) The History of the Peloponnesian War
(c) The History of the Athenian War
(d) The History of the Spartan War
5. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) both were weak
(b) both were powerful
(c) Athens was weaker than Sparta
(d) Sparta was weaker than Athens
Short Answer Questions
1. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
2. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
3. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
4. Thucydides felt that ___________________________________.
5. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)