|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
(a) ornately written
(b) factual without any use to others
(c) useful to others
(d) interesting to read
2. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
(a) Sparta adopted the Athenian culture
(b) Sparta merged wih Athens
(c) the Athenian culture spread
(d) the Athenian culture and its contirubtions to the world ended
3. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
4. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
(a) most difficult to read and translate
(b) easiest to read and translate
(c) easiest to read but hardest to translate
5. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
2. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
3. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
4. What was important to Greek poets?
5. During the war, Thucydides was _______________________.
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)