|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
(a) avoid their fate
(b) fight their fate
(c) endure their fate because there is no way out
(d) look for a way out
2. What is the view of man?
(a) man is not helpless and controls his fate
(b) man is helpless with his fate predetermined
(c) man can sometimes change his fate
(d) there is no such thing as fate
3. Which of the following does not describe Pindar's writing?
4. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
(a) factual without any use to others
(b) interesting to read
(c) useful to others
(d) ornately written
5. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(b) noone in particular
(c) the aristocracy
(d) the elected leaders
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
2. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
3. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
4. What was important to Greek poets?
5. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)