|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
(a) both were weak
(b) Sparta was weaker than Athens
(c) Athens was weaker than Sparta
(d) both were powerful
2. As a result of the Peloponnesian War, _______________________________________.
(a) Sparta adopted the Athenian culture
(b) the Athenian culture and its contirubtions to the world ended
(c) the Athenian culture spread
(d) Sparta merged wih Athens
3. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the kind
(b) the athletes of the games
(c) the common man
(d) the intellectuals
4. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
(a) physical and spiritual perfection
(b) a lack of the spiritual
(c) moral corruption
(d) physical slovenliness
5. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
(a) great intellect
(b) beutiful workmanship
(c) poetic expression
Short Answer Questions
1. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
2. What was important to Greek poets?
3. What is the view of man?
4. What did Sophocles feel about inner versus outer control?
5. Which city did Pindar live in?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)