|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poetry of Pindar is described as _________________.
(b) full of symbolism
(c) full of imagery
2. What was important to Greek poets?
3. Thucydides felt that ___________________________________.
(a) wars were covered by broken treaties
(b) power and wealth created the desire for more power and wealth
(c) the desire for wealth was not a cause of war
(d) the desire for power was not a cause of war
4. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
(c) John Milton
5. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(a) the elected leaders
(c) the aristocracy
(d) noone in particular
Short Answer Questions
1. During the war, Thucydides was _______________________.
2. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
3. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
4. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
5. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)