|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who laid the foundation for the Greek democracy?
2. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
(a) fair hamony
3. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(b) the aristocracy
(c) the elected leaders
(d) noone in particular
4. Pindar believed that the wealthy and powerful would _____________________________.
(a) abuse the power
(b) ignore their responsibilities
(c) use their power to improve their own position
(d) use their power to help others
5. Thucydides wrote a history of the war between ______________________.
(a) Athens and Sparta
(b) Thebes and Peloponnesia
(c) Athens and Rome
(d) Sparta and Thebes
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
2. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
3. Thucydides wrote _________________________.
4. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
5. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)