|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Greek aristocracy_______________________.
(a) were not honorable men
(b) had its own standard to live by
(c) were liars and cheaters
(d) lived by the same standards as others
2. Athens, which was a society based on freedom and liberty, was, by the time of Thucydides, known as the ________________.
(a) City of Freedom
(b) City of Love
(c) Tyrant City
(d) Mighty City
3. Pindar's poems praised _________________________.
(a) the common man
(b) the kind
(c) the athletes of the games
(d) the intellectuals
4. What are the terms Hamilton uses to describe the works of Sophocles?
(b) poetic expression
(c) beutiful workmanship
(d) great intellect
5. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
(a) way of life
Short Answer Questions
1. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
2. According to Schopenhauer, what world applies to the tragedies of Sophocles?
3. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
4. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
5. Sophocles' characters ________________________________.
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)