|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thucydides wanted his work to be ________________________.
(a) useful to others
(b) ornately written
(c) interesting to read
(d) factual without any use to others
2. What happened to the captured survivors of battles?
(a) they became slaves
(b) they were exchanged for enemy prisoners
(c) they were released after the war's end
(d) they were executed
3. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
(a) easiest to read but hardest to translate
(b) easiest to read and translate
(d) most difficult to read and translate
4. Which city did Pindar live in?
5. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
(b) poor fighters
(c) inadequately armed
Short Answer Questions
1. During the war, Thucydides was _______________________.
2. Which of the following terms would not represent the views of Sophocles?
3. Sophocles differs from Aeschylus in that Sophocles ______________________________.
4. Which word does not have a bad connotation to the Greeks?
5. Which of the following is not a play of Sophocles?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)