|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Sophocles: Quintessence of the Greek.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(b) the elected leaders
(c) noone in particular
(d) the aristocracy
2. To Pindar, the Greek aristocracy represented ___________________________.
(a) physical slovenliness
(b) a lack of the spiritual
(c) moral corruption
(d) physical and spiritual perfection
3. Sophocles felt that honor of men was expressed by their ______________.
(d) way of life
4. Thucydides felt that the lesson of the Peloponnesian War was that _____________________________________.
(a) wealth attracted the poorer to attack
(b) power brought about its own destruction
(c) the power of the Athenians had to be stopped
(d) the power of the Spartans had to be stopped
5. Thucydides felt that ___________________________________.
(a) the desire for wealth was not a cause of war
(b) the desire for power was not a cause of war
(c) power and wealth created the desire for more power and wealth
(d) wars were covered by broken treaties
Short Answer Questions
1. What was important to Greek poets?
2. How many decades separated Sophocles from Aeschylus?
3. Thucydides feels that the Athenians lost the war because they were ________________.
4. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
5. The Athenians and Spartans fought because _________________________.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)