Chapter 1, East and West
* Athens was the center of a new civilization in terms of culture and art.
* The characteristics of the society of the time were a ruling despot with a subjugated population and a priestly organization that engaged in intellectual activities.
* Before the Greeks, the greatest civilization was that of the ancient Egyptians and their primary interest was the dead and what happened after death.
* The priests of ancient Egypt jealously guarded their power and position. Their power came from the ignorance of others.
Chapter 2, Mind and Spirit
* The Greeks were the first people in the world to hold various kinds of games, contests and competitions. This meant they were in good physical and mental shape and did not lead lives of misery as the Egyptians did.
* The literature of the time pointed out the differences between the Greek way and the Oriental way.
* In Athens...
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)