Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
2. Where is Jeannette living at the time that her parents move to New York City?
3. Who is Ginnie Sue?
4. What does Jeannette plan to do after high school?
5. What does Brian's mother do with what Jeanette and Brian find while foraging in the woods?
Rose Mary's philosophy is that art and freedom are more important than material things. However, she takes this philosophy too far in failing to provide for her children's basic needs. Describe Rose Mary's philosophy of life and parenting. Consider:
1) What is it that makes it so difficult for her to take responsibility?
2) How is she able to justify allowing her children to live in impoverished conditions because of her choices?
3) Recount a few of her actions that demonstrate her philosophy in action.
Rose Mary describes herself as an "excitement addict" at one point in the book. How does Rose Mary view herself?
1) What does she mean when she says that she is an excitement addict? Give examples of her behavior that support this view of herself.
2) How does she justify her behavior when it threatens her children's well-being?
3) What is her philosophy of life and how does it influence her parenting style?
The title of the memoir is significant in its symbolism as something unfinished, or unrealized within the author's family. Discuss the title and its significance, considering the following:
1) How does the glass castle represent the unrealized dreams of the family, or the things that the family may never have?
2) What does the glass castle mean to Rex? How does it represent Rex's unrealized potential?
2) Why do you feel that the author chose this title? How does it relate to the memoir as a whole, and to her feelings about her childhood?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)