|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rex dies during Part 4 as a result of:
2. What does Rose Mary tell the kids when they complain about their living conditions?
3. What is Brian doing as he enters adolescence?
4. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
5. How does Jeannette help Dinitia's brother?
Essay Topic 1
Although life is very difficult in the Walls household, one way that the children cope is through depending on each other. Describe the relationship between the children: Brian, Lori, Jeannette, and Maureen and how they depend on and take care of each other. What roles do each of these children play within the family? Cite specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The author's views of what is important and what will bring her happiness change throughout the book. Discuss how her ideas of a good life evolve from childhood into adulthood. Consider:
1) What things does Jeannette hope for as a child?
2) What is her life like as an adult, and is she happy?
3) Do Jeannette's values change throughout her life, or is she essentially the same person?
4) What does Jeannette ultimately decide that she has been looking for, and where does she find it?
Essay Topic 3
Rex's alcoholism is a major theme in the memoir. Although he occasionally is able to stop drinking for a short time, inevitably he returns to it. What personality traits and aspects of his background seem to contribute to his tendency toward alcoholism?
This section contains 1,890 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)