|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jeannette confront her mother and say she is acting like a child?
2. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
3. For what purpose do Jeannette and Brian start digging a large hole in the backyard?
4. Where does Maureen spend most of her time during her adolescence?
5. What does Jeannette plan to do after high school?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Rex has difficulty holding a job and fully realizing his responsibilities, yet he does love his children and expresses it as best he can. Describe the dysfunctional yet caring relationship between this father and his children. Discuss examples of both times he failed his children, as well as and in which he was able to 'come through' or express his love for them in a meaningful way.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between the author and her parents is a very complex one. She is both fond of them and attempts to understand their behavior, and is shocked that they are able to be so childish and neglectful in providing for even the very basic needs of the children. Discuss this relationship with consideration to the following questions:
1) Discuss examples of the neglectful behavior described in the book. How are the parents negligent and how are the children able to get by in spite of this?
2) Relate examples of the positive experiences that the author has with each of her parents, and what she considers to be some of their positive characteristics.
Essay Topic 3
Although life is very difficult in the Walls household, one way that the children cope is through depending on each other. Describe the relationship between the children: Brian, Lori, Jeannette, and Maureen and how they depend on and take care of each other. What roles do each of these children play within the family? Cite specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,906 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)