|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rex leave home and disappear for several days following the death of his mother?
2. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
3. How did the Walls family heat their home during the winter?
4. What is Erma's reaction when the children tell their parents about the incident between her and Brian?
5. How does Lori get burned at the house in Welch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
2. What events help form Jeannette's desire to be a professional writer?
3. What are some examples of how the Walls parents fail to provide for their children's needs during this first year in Welch?
4. What changes does Jeannette make in her life after her father dies?
5. Why does Jeannette enjoy swimming with Dinitia more than going to the pool during the other swim sessions when the rest of the white children in Welch swim?
6. Why do Rex and Rose Mary follow their children to New York City to live?
7. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
8. What happens to the family's money when Jeannette is put in charge of managing it while her mother is gone?
9. What is Rex's mother, Erma, like, and how does she differ from Grandma Smith?
10. What are some of the reasons that the children do not like going to school in Welch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose Mary describes herself as an "excitement addict" at one point in the book. How does Rose Mary view herself?
1) What does she mean when she says that she is an excitement addict? Give examples of her behavior that support this view of herself.
2) How does she justify her behavior when it threatens her children's well-being?
3) What is her philosophy of life and how does it influence her parenting style?
Essay Topic 2
One of the author's earliest memories is of being badly burned while she is cooking by herself as a small child. She spends several weeks in the hospital, during which time she is not unhappy. In fact, she responds to the incident in a calm manner that belies her age.
1) What are Jeannette's memories of the incident? How does she react to the staff at the hospital?
2) How does Jeannette respond to the staff when they tell her that she is going to be all right?
3) What is her father's response to the incident? Do you find it surprising, or is it typical of him?
4) What do both Jeannette's and her parents' way of dealing with this incident say about each of their personalities and ways of approaching life?
Essay Topic 3
Money is not important to Rose Mary and Rex Walls, which is demonstrated throughout the book. Although it may sometimes appear that the couple's actions are somewhat amoral or selfish, they are actually living according to their own set of moral values that do not agree with those of society. What are the values of Rose Mary and Rex and how do they demonstrate them to both their children and the world? What is it that really matters to Rex and Rose Mary?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)