|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeannette describe her and Lori's first apartment together in New York?
2. Where does Jeannette attend college?
3. Where does Jeannette get a job in Part 3?
4. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
5. How does Jeannette handle the family's finances while her mother is out of town?
Essay Topic 1
The author's views of what is important and what will bring her happiness change throughout the book. Discuss how her ideas of a good life evolve from childhood into adulthood. Consider:
1) What things does Jeannette hope for as a child?
2) What is her life like as an adult, and is she happy?
3) Do Jeannette's values change throughout her life, or is she essentially the same person?
4) What does Jeannette ultimately decide that she has been looking for, and where does she find it?
Essay Topic 2
Rose Mary describes herself as an "excitement addict" at one point in the book. How does Rose Mary view herself?
1) What does she mean when she says that she is an excitement addict? Give examples of her behavior that support this view of herself.
2) How does she justify her behavior when it threatens her children's well-being?
3) What is her philosophy of life and how does it influence her parenting style?
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, the author looks up to her father even as he makes poor decisions that affect the family negatively.
1) Discuss the author's conflicting view of her father as protector/provider and an alcoholic.
2) How does the author want the world to see or understand her father? What does she tell other people about him?
3) Do you think that she idealizes her father or that she is simply being fair in looking at the whole person, rather than the poor decisions that he makes?
Use specific examples from the book to illustrate your points.
This section contains 1,878 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)