|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeannette do with the stolen item from her job?
2. Where do the children go to shower after there is no longer any bathroom in their house?
3. What event precipitates the argument in which Erma ends up hitting Lori?
4. What does Jeannette want to do for a career by the time she is in 7th grade?
5. For what purpose do Jeannette and Brian start digging a large hole in the backyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recount some of the events that demonstrate Maureen's difficulty in adapting to life as an adult.
2. Describe Rex and Rose Mary's living arrangements and lifestyle in New York.
3. Describe Jeannette's reaction when her mother comes to her, begging her and her new husband to buy some property in Texas that abutted her own.
4. What is Rex's mother, Erma, like, and how does she differ from Grandma Smith?
5. What changes does Jeannette make in her life after her father dies?
6. How does the condition of the Walls family home worsen during the spring in Welch?
7. After the incident between the children and Erma, what does Jeannette begin to wonder about her father?
8. Why does Jeannette enjoy swimming with Dinitia more than going to the pool during the other swim sessions when the rest of the white children in Welch swim?
9. What happens to the family's money when Jeannette is put in charge of managing it while her mother is gone?
10. Why does Rose Mary quit her job, and what is Jeannette's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's views of what is important and what will bring her happiness change throughout the book. Discuss how her ideas of a good life evolve from childhood into adulthood. Consider:
1) What things does Jeannette hope for as a child?
2) What is her life like as an adult, and is she happy?
3) Do Jeannette's values change throughout her life, or is she essentially the same person?
4) What does Jeannette ultimately decide that she has been looking for, and where does she find it?
Essay Topic 2
Life is hard for the Walls family wherever they go. However, in different places it is hard in different ways. Compare their lives in Phoenix, Battle Mountain, and Welch, answering each of the following questions about each location:
1) What are the family's basic living conditions like?
2) What is Rose Mary's emotional condition like and how does it affect the rest of the family?
3) Discuss Rex's emotional condition as well.
Essay Topic 3
Rose Mary tells Jeannette, as an adult, that her values are "all confused." What does Rose Mary mean?
1) How does Rose Mary view Jeannette's life and career?
2) What are Rose Mary's values like and how do Jeannette's differ?
3) What values or ideas do you think that they agree on? What is important to both of them?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)