|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
2. Why do Jeannette's parents express concern over her living arrangement in New York?
3. Where do Rex and Rose Mary live when they eventually move to New York?
4. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
5. Who is Dinitia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the family's money when Jeannette is put in charge of managing it while her mother is gone?
2. Why does the owner of the paper that Jeannette works for talk her out of taking a job at his newspaper?
3. When Erma dies, how does the Walls family react? How is Rex's reaction different from the rest of the family?
4. What has the author found with her second husband that she did not have with her first?
5. How do the Walls parents fail to protect their children from Erma?
6. What potentially dangerous situation does Rex put Jeannette in while her mother is out of town for training?
7. What are some examples of how the Walls parents fail to provide for their children's needs during this first year in Welch?
8. What events help form Jeannette's desire to be a professional writer?
9. How does Rex, despite all of his problems, show his devotion to Jeannette during her college years?
10. What are some of the reasons that the children do not like going to school in Welch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Life is hard for the Walls family wherever they go. However, in different places it is hard in different ways. Compare their lives in Phoenix, Battle Mountain, and Welch, answering each of the following questions about each location:
1) What are the family's basic living conditions like?
2) What is Rose Mary's emotional condition like and how does it affect the rest of the family?
3) Discuss Rex's emotional condition as well.
Essay Topic 2
Rose Mary tells Jeannette, as an adult, that her values are "all confused." What does Rose Mary mean?
1) How does Rose Mary view Jeannette's life and career?
2) What are Rose Mary's values like and how do Jeannette's differ?
3) What values or ideas do you think that they agree on? What is important to both of them?
Essay Topic 3
Although life is very difficult in the Walls household, one way that the children cope is through depending on each other. Describe the relationship between the children: Brian, Lori, Jeannette, and Maureen and how they depend on and take care of each other. What roles do each of these children play within the family? Cite specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)