Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
2. Where is Jeannette living at the time that her parents move to New York City?
3. Who is Ginnie Sue?
4. What does Jeannette plan to do after high school?
5. What does Brian's mother do with what Jeanette and Brian find while foraging in the woods?
Essay Topic 1
Rex's alcoholism is a major theme in the memoir. Although he occasionally is able to stop drinking for a short time, inevitably he returns to it. What personality traits and aspects of his background seem to contribute to his tendency toward alcoholism?
Essay Topic 2
The author's views of what is important and what will bring her happiness change throughout the book. Discuss how her ideas of a good life evolve from childhood into adulthood. Consider:
1) What things does Jeannette hope for as a child?
2) What is her life like as an adult, and is she happy?
3) Do Jeannette's values change throughout her life, or is she essentially the same person?
4) What does Jeannette ultimately decide that she has been looking for, and where does she find it?
Essay Topic 3
Jeannette's relationship with her mother is conflicted, yet she still feels a fondness and compassion for her as an adult. Discuss the relationship between these two women by answering the following questions:
1) How would you characterize the relationship between the two?
2) How does each of these women play both an adult and a child's role?
3) How does the relationship between them change over time?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)