|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jeannette and Brian find when they are foraging in the woods?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A set of golf clubs.
(c) An expensive diamond ring.
(d) A camera.
2. What does Jeannette do with the stolen item from her job?
(a) She returns it after just one day.
(b) She gives it to her father.
(c) She tells her sister to do what she wants to with it.
(d) She sells it.
3. Who is Dinitia?
(a) A cousin of the Walls children who comes to stay with them.
(b) A little girl who at first bullies Jeannette, but then befriends her.
(c) Rex's new girlfriend.
(d) Erma's sister.
4. Why does Jeannette end up stealing from her place of employment?
(a) To get even, when her boss accuses her of being a thief.
(b) In order to buy food.
(c) Because she feels she deserves to have something nice.
(d) To give a gift to her mother.
5. Where does Maureen go upon her release from the hospital?
(a) Back to the family home in Phoenix.
(b) To her parent's old house in Welch.
(c) To live with her sister.
(d) To California.
6. Where is Jeannette finding food during the family's first winter in their new home in Welch?
(a) She is taking food from a neighbor's garden.
(b) In the trash can at school.
(c) She trades homework answers for food from her classmates' lunches.
(d) She steals from her teacher.
7. What is Brian doing as he enters adolescence?
(a) Doing better in school and planning for graduation.
(b) He is getting into trouble and frequently involved in fights.
(c) He has left home and the family has not heard from him.
(d) He stays in his room alone all of the time but does well in school.
8. What do the children discover that their mother is doing while they have no food in the house?
(a) She is stealing food to put in their lunches.
(b) She is using drugs.
(c) She is hoarding candy bars and eating them by herself.
(d) She is taking money to gamble, rather than buying food.
9. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
(b) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
(c) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(d) The kids use it as a hide out.
10. What does Jeannette's mother reluctantly do to help keep the family together in Part 3?
(a) She gets a job as a teacher.
(b) She makes plans to leave Rex.
(c) She decides to move the family to Texas.
(d) She gets the children into a good private school.
11. What event throws Rex and Rose Mary into homelessness?
(a) Rex gets arrested, and they fall behind in the rent.
(b) The van that they are living in gets towed away.
(c) They are kicked out of the shelter for stealing.
(d) Their daughter asks them to leave her house.
12. How does Jeannette handle the family's finances while her mother is out of town?
(a) She hides all of the money and doles it out sparingly.
(b) She spends it all on food to last the entire month before her father can get to it.
(c) She wastes some of it on things for herself and is ashamed, but buys food with the rest.
(d) She gives money to her father when he asks, even though she knows she shouldn't.
13. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
(a) She agrees to send Lori money to help her if she moves there.
(b) She gets her a babysitting job and a bus ticket.
(c) She agrees to stay and help the family if they will let Lori go.
(d) She helps her apply to college there.
14. How does Jeannette finance her rent during her college years?
(a) She trades childcare for room and board.
(b) She borrows money from her sister.
(c) She pays for everything with student loans.
(d) She lives in a hostel to save money.
15. What happens when Jeannette goes swimming in a public pool?
(a) A neighborhood girl befriends her.
(b) The other children mock her for living in a "trash heap" and chase her out of the pool.
(c) She finally finds something that she can enjoy doing during the summer.
(d) She nearly drowns after getting into a fight with another girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
2. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
3. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
4. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
5. Where is Rose Mary living at the time of the Thanksgiving dinner?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)