|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Walls new house in Part 3 like?
(a) It is a very run-down one bedroom with no indoor plumbing.
(b) It is a mobile home.
(c) It is very small, but clean and modern.
(d) It is an old-fashioned house with lots of room.
2. Why do Jeannette's parents express concern over her living arrangement in New York?
(a) They believe living in luxury will spoil her.
(b) They think that her apartment is too small.
(c) They are concerned for her safety.
(d) They don't like her roommate.
3. Where does Erma tell the children to go stay after the argument with Lori?
(a) In the backyard.
(b) In the shed.
(c) In the basement.
(d) At the neighbor's house.
4. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
(a) He makes an off-color comment to her.
(b) He tells her that she won't ever be anything.
(c) He refers to her father as "the town drunk."
(d) He offers her money for food.
5. What does Jeannette do with the stolen item from her job?
(a) She returns it after just one day.
(b) She tells her sister to do what she wants to with it.
(c) She sells it.
(d) She gives it to her father.
6. Why does Rex leave home and disappear for several days following the death of his mother?
(a) He is embarrassed that he has lost another job.
(b) He gets upset at his family for not respecting his mother's funeral.
(c) He gets into a big fight with Rose Mary about money.
(d) He goes to stay with another woman.
7. What event throws Rex and Rose Mary into homelessness?
(a) Rex gets arrested, and they fall behind in the rent.
(b) They are kicked out of the shelter for stealing.
(c) Their daughter asks them to leave her house.
(d) The van that they are living in gets towed away.
8. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
(a) She robs a convenience store while on drugs.
(b) She threatens her brother and sisters.
(c) She stabs her mother during an argument.
(d) She sets fire to her boyfriend's home.
9. What does Jeannette decide to do instead of following the guidance counselor's advice?
(a) To apply to top-notch schools.
(b) To move to New York City immediately, even before graduating high school.
(c) To stay at home, but drop out of school.
(d) To wait for graduation and then move back to Phoenix.
10. Where does Jeannette attend college?
(b) Columbia University.
(d) Boston College.
11. Who is Ginnie Sue?
(a) Jeannette's imaginary friend.
(b) A woman who Rex is having an affair with.
(c) Lori's only friend, who stands up for her with the other kids.
(d) A prostitute who lives in the Walls neighborhood, and whose daughter Jeannette is friends with.
12. Why does Jeannette refuse to invite her father to her graduation?
(a) Because she doesn't think that he will come.
(b) Because she is afraid that her brother and father won't get along there.
(c) Because of his drunken behavior.
(d) Because Rex doesn't know that she is in college.
13. What does Brian do after graduating from high school?
(a) He moves to New York City to be near his sisters.
(b) He stays in Welch and gets a menial job.
(c) He gets into trouble with the law.
(d) He enrolls in college.
14. How does Jeannette finance her rent during her college years?
(a) She borrows money from her sister.
(b) She trades childcare for room and board.
(c) She lives in a hostel to save money.
(d) She pays for everything with student loans.
15. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
(a) He gets ill and is hospitalized for a time.
(b) His daughter begs him to get sober before her wedding.
(c) His doctor tells him he'll die if he doesn't get sober.
(d) Rose Mary threatens to leave him if he doesn't stop drinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jeannette is sent out to get her father in Welch, where does she finally find him?
2. What does Rose Mary tell the kids when they complain about their living conditions?
3. How does Jeannette's grandparents feel about her relationship with Dinitia?
4. The owner of the paper that Jeannette works for encourages her to do what?
5. Where do Rex and Rose Mary live when they eventually move to New York?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)