|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Rose Mary living at the time of the Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) In her own apartment.
(b) In a women's shelter.
(c) In the same abandoned apartment building that she and Rex had been squatting in for years.
(d) In Lori's apartment.
2. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
(a) He gets ill and is hospitalized for a time.
(b) His daughter begs him to get sober before her wedding.
(c) Rose Mary threatens to leave him if he doesn't stop drinking.
(d) His doctor tells him he'll die if he doesn't get sober.
3. The Walls' parents refuse to accept help from their children. Why?
(a) They feel guilty about not providing for their children.
(b) They want to get out of the situation on their own.
(c) They believe that they are going to be rich soon.
(d) They view homelessness as an 'adventure'.
4. Where does Rex take Jeannette while her mother is gone in Part 3?
(a) To a pool hall.
(b) To a dance at her school.
(c) To the opera.
(d) To buy a new dress for school.
5. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
(a) That her mother had put aside money for all of the children when they were small.
(b) That her mother has been saving money to buy a house.
(c) That her mother's family was very rich when she was a child.
(d) That her mother owns land that is worth over a million dollars and hasn't sold it.
6. What is Erma's reaction when the children tell their parents about the incident between her and Brian?
(a) She kicks the entire family out of the house.
(b) She says it is the truth but there is nothing wrong with what she did.
(c) She breaks down and confesses to doing wrong.
(d) She says everyone but Brian can stay with her.
7. Rex dies during Part 4 as a result of:
(a) A heart attack.
(b) Liver failure due to alcoholism.
8. What is the condition of the Wells' house like when spring comes in Part 3?
(a) The house is deteriorating with mold everywhere and no front door.
(b) The family has added onto the house, so there is more room for the children.
(c) The kids paint the outside and fix up the yard, but the inside is still in bad shape.
(d) The house has been burned down.
9. Why do Jeannette's parents express concern over her living arrangement in New York?
(a) They believe living in luxury will spoil her.
(b) They don't like her roommate.
(c) They are concerned for her safety.
(d) They think that her apartment is too small.
10. Where does Jeannette get a job in Part 3?
(a) A cafeteria.
(b) A nursing home.
(c) A jewelry store.
(d) A supermarket.
11. Who is John?
(a) Rex's brother.
(b) Jeannette's second husband.
(c) Brian's best friend.
(d) Jeannette's son.
12. How does Jeannette handle the family's finances while her mother is out of town?
(a) She spends it all on food to last the entire month before her father can get to it.
(b) She gives money to her father when he asks, even though she knows she shouldn't.
(c) She wastes some of it on things for herself and is ashamed, but buys food with the rest.
(d) She hides all of the money and doles it out sparingly.
13. Since the Walls family cannot find a house they can afford to rent, what do they do instead?
(a) Build a house from found materials.
(b) Live in an abandoned house.
(c) Buy a house.
(d) Move in with friends.
14. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
(b) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(c) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
(d) The kids use it as a hide out.
15. How do the Walls children get along socially at their new school in Part 3?
(a) The other kids all want to be friends with them because they're new.
(b) The other children make fun of them and they get into fights.
(c) The other children are jealous of them.
(d) The other kids ignore them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jeannette attend college?
2. How does Jeannette describe her and Lori's first apartment together in New York?
3. Where does Maureen spend most of her time during her adolescence?
4. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
5. What does Jeannette try to talk her mother into doing to make hers and the children's lives better?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)