|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
(a) His doctor tells him he'll die if he doesn't get sober.
(b) He gets ill and is hospitalized for a time.
(c) His daughter begs him to get sober before her wedding.
(d) Rose Mary threatens to leave him if he doesn't stop drinking.
2. What does Jeannette plan to do after high school?
(a) Take a job with the publication she interns for.
(b) Travel the world.
(c) Move back to Welch to be near her parents.
(d) Go straight to college.
3. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
(a) He realizes that he can't do the job well.
(b) Rose Mary begs him to come back to the city.
(c) Rex doesn't think the job pays enough for what he is doing.
(d) Lori tells him he should quit.
4. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(b) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
(c) The kids use it as a hide out.
(d) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
5. The owner of the paper that Jeannette works for encourages her to do what?
(a) Take a job at the paper.
(b) Go back to her parents.
(c) Take time off after high school to decide what she wants to do.
(d) Go to college.
6. How did the Walls family heat their home during the winter?
(a) They steal kerosene and coal from neighbors.
(b) Rose Mary has the children gather wood to burn.
(c) They have space heaters.
(d) There is no way to heat the house.
7. Why do Rex and Rose Mary leave the children with their grandparents?
(a) To go on a second honeymoon.
(b) They want the kids to spend 'quality time' with Erma.
(c) To return to Phoenix to pick up their belongings.
(d) Because Rex has a new moneymaking scheme in Texas.
8. Rex dies during Part 4 as a result of:
(a) A heart attack.
(b) Liver failure due to alcoholism.
9. How does Lori get burned at the house in Welch?
(a) She is playing with matches and catches her dress on fire.
(b) She is lighting a fire and the kerosene explodes on her.
(c) One of the children from school starts a fire in her yard.
(d) She is cooking for her younger brothers.
10. What is Brian's occupation in Part 4?
(d) Police officer.
11. Where does Erma tell the children to go stay after the argument with Lori?
(a) In the backyard.
(b) In the basement.
(c) In the shed.
(d) At the neighbor's house.
12. Where is Jeannette living at the time that her parents move to New York City?
(a) In her own home.
(b) With her boyfriend in a Park Avenue apartment.
(c) With her sisters.
(d) In a small apartment in the Bronx.
13. Where does Jeannette attend college?
(c) Boston College.
(d) Columbia University.
14. How does Erma differ from Grandma Smith?
(a) Erma is close her family, and Grandma Smith was distant.
(b) Erma is very kind and shy, while Grandma Smith was standoffish.
(c) Erma is callous and rough, while Grandma Smith was very nurturing.
(d) Erma is very urban and streetwise, while Grandma Smith was very "country".
15. Where do Rex and Rose Mary live when they eventually move to New York?
(a) In a homeless shelter.
(b) In Lori's apartment.
(c) In a boardinghouse and then a flophouse.
(d) With Jeannette and her boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jeannette confront her mother and say she is acting like a child?
2. What is the high school guidance counselor's advice for Jeannette?
3. What does Rex tell Jeannette when he takes her to the bus station in Part 3?
4. Where does Rex take Jeannette while her mother is gone in Part 3?
5. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)