|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jeannette confront her mother and say she is acting like a child?
(a) Her mother is angry at Lori and ignoring her.
(b) Her mother has been spending money on gambling.
(c) Because her mother has quit her job again.
(d) Because her mother has been staying out late every night.
2. How do Grandpa and Uncle Stanley react to Erma?
(a) They are embarrassed by her.
(b) They are abusive towards her.
(c) They yell at her a lot.
(d) They don't stand up to her.
3. Why do the other children look down on the Walls children?
(a) Because of their lack of clothing and food.
(b) Because their mother doesn't have a real job.
(c) Because they aren't from Welch.
(d) Because they are "teacher's pets."
4. How does Jeannette's grandparents feel about her relationship with Dinitia?
(a) They're friends with Dinitia's parents and enjoy having her around.
(b) They dislike Dinitia because they once had a a feud with her parents.
(c) They don't like it because Dinitia is black.
(d) They are glad Jeannette has found a friend.
5. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
(a) They all sleep in one big bed.
(b) The children decide that they will all sleep together in the shed.
(c) They finally have their own rooms.
(d) They sleep in one room and make beds out of ropes because there is no furniture.
6. Where does the Wall family move at the beginning of Part 3 of the book?
(b) Welch, West Virginia.
(c) Los Angeles, California.
7. What does Jeannette's mother reluctantly do to help keep the family together in Part 3?
(a) She gets a job as a teacher.
(b) She decides to move the family to Texas.
(c) She makes plans to leave Rex.
(d) She gets the children into a good private school.
8. What happens when Jeannette goes swimming in a public pool?
(a) She finally finds something that she can enjoy doing during the summer.
(b) A neighborhood girl befriends her.
(c) She nearly drowns after getting into a fight with another girl.
(d) The other children mock her for living in a "trash heap" and chase her out of the pool.
9. How do the Walls children get along socially at their new school in Part 3?
(a) The other children are jealous of them.
(b) The other children make fun of them and they get into fights.
(c) The other kids ignore them.
(d) The other kids all want to be friends with them because they're new.
10. What does Jeannette do with the stolen item from her job?
(a) She sells it.
(b) She gives it to her father.
(c) She tells her sister to do what she wants to with it.
(d) She returns it after just one day.
11. Why does Rex get upset about Maureen moving in with Lori?
(a) He is jealous that Lori won't let him and Rose Mary move in with her.
(b) He wants Maureen to work and bring money to the family.
(c) He doesn't think Maureen will be safe in the city.
(d) He feels like Lori is stealing his family away.
12. What does Brian's mother do with what Jeanette and Brian find while foraging in the woods?
(a) She gives it as a gift to a friend.
(b) She loses it before she can sell it.
(c) She sells it to a neighbor for less than it is worth.
(d) She keeps it because it "raises her spirits".
13. Who is John?
(a) Brian's best friend.
(b) Jeannette's son.
(c) Jeannette's second husband.
(d) Rex's brother.
14. Where is Rose Mary living at the time of the Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) In her own apartment.
(b) In Lori's apartment.
(c) In the same abandoned apartment building that she and Rex had been squatting in for years.
(d) In a women's shelter.
15. What is Erma's reaction when the children tell their parents about the incident between her and Brian?
(a) She kicks the entire family out of the house.
(b) She says it is the truth but there is nothing wrong with what she did.
(c) She breaks down and confesses to doing wrong.
(d) She says everyone but Brian can stay with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Rose Mary and Rex react to the children's story about the incident between Erma and Brian?
2. Where is Jeannette living at the time that her parents move to New York City?
3. What does Jeannette want to do for a career by the time she is in 7th grade?
4. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
5. After Jeannette gets a divorce, what type of life does she choose to live?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)