|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jeannette get a job in Part 3?
(a) A cafeteria.
(b) A jewelry store.
(c) A nursing home.
(d) A supermarket.
2. Why does Rex leave home and disappear for several days following the death of his mother?
(a) He goes to stay with another woman.
(b) He gets into a big fight with Rose Mary about money.
(c) He gets upset at his family for not respecting his mother's funeral.
(d) He is embarrassed that he has lost another job.
3. What does Brian do after graduating from high school?
(a) He stays in Welch and gets a menial job.
(b) He gets into trouble with the law.
(c) He enrolls in college.
(d) He moves to New York City to be near his sisters.
4. What does Rex tell Jeannette when he takes her to the bus station in Part 3?
(a) That she is always welcome to change her mind and come back home.
(b) That she is making a huge mistake and will not be able to get along without her family.
(c) That he knows that she will be a huge success.
(d) That once she leaves, she is no longer welcome in the home.
5. Rex dies during Part 4 as a result of:
(b) Liver failure due to alcoholism.
(c) A heart attack.
6. How does Rex put Jeannette in a potentially dangerous situation in Part 3?
(a) By leaving her alone at home.
(b) By having her "entertain" a man who he is playing pool with.
(c) By giving her alcohol.
(d) By letting her stay out all night.
7. Where do Rex and Rose Mary live when they eventually move to New York?
(a) In a boardinghouse and then a flophouse.
(b) In a homeless shelter.
(c) In Lori's apartment.
(d) With Jeannette and her boyfriend.
8. The owner of the paper that Jeannette works for encourages her to do what?
(a) Take time off after high school to decide what she wants to do.
(b) Take a job at the paper.
(c) Go back to her parents.
(d) Go to college.
9. Who brings Rose Mary to Thanksgiving dinner?
(c) Grandpa Walls.
10. For what purpose do Jeannette and Brian start digging a large hole in the backyard?
(a) They hide all of their prized possessions in it.
(b) They decide to make a pet cemetery for their dogs and cats.
(c) They want to have a place to go and hide by themselves to talk.
(d) They want to help Rex build the foundation for the glass castle.
11. Where does Rex take Jeannette while her mother is gone in Part 3?
(a) To the opera.
(b) To a dance at her school.
(c) To a pool hall.
(d) To buy a new dress for school.
12. When Jeannette is sent out to get her father in Welch, where does she finally find him?
(a) Passed out on the side of the road.
(b) At the Green Lantern.
(c) At a bar.
(d) At his mother's house.
13. How does Jeannette describe her and Lori's first apartment together in New York?
(a) It is run-down and they are miserable.
(b) It's out in the middle of nowhere.
(c) It is very luxurious.
(d) It is bigger than their entire house in Welch.
14. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
(a) He realizes that he can't do the job well.
(b) Rex doesn't think the job pays enough for what he is doing.
(c) Lori tells him he should quit.
(d) Rose Mary begs him to come back to the city.
15. What does Jeannette do with the stolen item from her job?
(a) She sells it.
(b) She gives it to her father.
(c) She returns it after just one day.
(d) She tells her sister to do what she wants to with it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the money that Jeannette is supposed to use to feed the family in Part 3?
2. What does Jeannette decide to do instead of following the guidance counselor's advice?
3. Who is Ginnie Sue?
4. What event precipitates the argument in which Erma ends up hitting Lori?
5. Why do Rex and Rose Mary leave the children with their grandparents?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)