|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Erma's reaction when the children tell their parents about the incident between her and Brian?
(a) She kicks the entire family out of the house.
(b) She says everyone but Brian can stay with her.
(c) She says it is the truth but there is nothing wrong with what she did.
(d) She breaks down and confesses to doing wrong.
2. What happens when Jeannette goes swimming in a public pool?
(a) A neighborhood girl befriends her.
(b) She nearly drowns after getting into a fight with another girl.
(c) She finally finds something that she can enjoy doing during the summer.
(d) The other children mock her for living in a "trash heap" and chase her out of the pool.
3. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
(a) His doctor tells him he'll die if he doesn't get sober.
(b) Rose Mary threatens to leave him if he doesn't stop drinking.
(c) He gets ill and is hospitalized for a time.
(d) His daughter begs him to get sober before her wedding.
4. What does Jeannette do about her schooling when she moves to New York?
(a) She attends a public school and works for a small publication.
(b) She decides to drop out of school for a while and go back when she can save up money.
(c) She drops out of high school.
(d) She goes to school part-time and works full-time.
5. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
(a) That her mother's family was very rich when she was a child.
(b) That her mother owns land that is worth over a million dollars and hasn't sold it.
(c) That her mother had put aside money for all of the children when they were small.
(d) That her mother has been saving money to buy a house.
6. How did the Walls family heat their home during the winter?
(a) Rose Mary has the children gather wood to burn.
(b) There is no way to heat the house.
(c) They have space heaters.
(d) They steal kerosene and coal from neighbors.
7. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
(a) She threatens her brother and sisters.
(b) She stabs her mother during an argument.
(c) She sets fire to her boyfriend's home.
(d) She robs a convenience store while on drugs.
8. Where do Jeannette and Lori first live in New York City?
(a) In a house that they purchase with their savings.
(b) In a flophouse.
(c) In a hostel.
(d) With friends.
9. What does Jeannette expect her new grandparents to be like?
(a) Serious like her father.
(b) She has no idea what having a grandparent would be like.
(c) Warm, nurturing, and fun.
(d) Cruel, because that has been her experience.
10. How do Jeannette's views of her parents' behavior change as she develops into a teenager?
(a) She understands more why they have done what they have done, and she agrees with them.
(b) She is becoming resentful towards them.
(c) She can no longer make excuses for their actions, as she did as a small child.
(d) She starts to make excuses and find ways to justify all of the things that they have done.
11. Who brings Rose Mary to Thanksgiving dinner?
(d) Grandpa Walls.
12. What happens that saves Jeannette from having to drop out of school because of financial problems?
(a) She borrows money from her sister.
(b) She gets a high-paying job.
(c) Her father comes up with the money for her tuition.
(d) Her mother sells her jewelry to help her.
13. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
(a) They all sleep in one big bed.
(b) The children decide that they will all sleep together in the shed.
(c) They sleep in one room and make beds out of ropes because there is no furniture.
(d) They finally have their own rooms.
14. What do Jeannette and Brian find when they are foraging in the woods?
(a) A set of golf clubs.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) A camera.
(d) An expensive diamond ring.
15. What is Brian's occupation in Part 4?
(c) Police officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 7th grade, Jeannette finds a sense of belonging by:
2. How do the Walls children get along socially at their new school in Part 3?
3. Where does Jeannette get a job in Part 3?
4. What do the children discover that their mother is doing while they have no food in the house?
5. What happens to the money that Lori and Jeannette have been saving?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)