|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeannette help Dinitia's brother?
(a) She chases away a dog that is bothering him.
(b) She plays with him when his sister won't.
(c) She shares some of her lunch when he is hungry.
(d) She gives him her money to get a drink.
2. Why do Jeannette's parents express concern over her living arrangement in New York?
(a) They believe living in luxury will spoil her.
(b) They think that her apartment is too small.
(c) They don't like her roommate.
(d) They are concerned for her safety.
3. What do Jeannette and Brian find when they are foraging in the woods?
(a) A set of golf clubs.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) A camera.
(d) An expensive diamond ring.
4. How did the Walls family heat their home during the winter?
(a) There is no way to heat the house.
(b) They steal kerosene and coal from neighbors.
(c) Rose Mary has the children gather wood to burn.
(d) They have space heaters.
5. Where does Maureen spend most of her time during her adolescence?
(a) At friends' houses.
(b) In her bedroom, alone.
(c) With her teachers.
(d) Staying at her Grandpa's house.
6. In 7th grade, Jeannette finds a sense of belonging by:
(a) Finally finding a group of friends.
(b) Becoming closer friends with Dinitia.
(c) Getting a full time job in a nursing home.
(d) Working for the school newspaper and a small local paper.
7. Why does Jeannette confront her mother and say she is acting like a child?
(a) Because her mother has been staying out late every night.
(b) Her mother has been spending money on gambling.
(c) Because her mother has quit her job again.
(d) Her mother is angry at Lori and ignoring her.
8. What does Jeannette tell her parents about the social worker visiting the house?
(a) That she told the social worker to go away.
(b) That she told the social worker the truth about what is going on in the home.
(c) That she hopes that the social workers take her to a new home.
(d) That they need to do something to help keep the family together.
9. After Jeannette gets a divorce, what type of life does she choose to live?
(a) A simpler life.
(b) She decides to devote her life to non-profit work.
(c) A life of luxury.
(d) A life devoted to her parents.
10. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
(a) She sets fire to her boyfriend's home.
(b) She robs a convenience store while on drugs.
(c) She stabs her mother during an argument.
(d) She threatens her brother and sisters.
11. How does Jeannette describe her and Lori's first apartment together in New York?
(a) It is run-down and they are miserable.
(b) It is bigger than their entire house in Welch.
(c) It is very luxurious.
(d) It's out in the middle of nowhere.
12. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) The kids use it as a hide out.
(b) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(c) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
(d) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
13. How does Jeannette handle the family's finances while her mother is out of town?
(a) She spends it all on food to last the entire month before her father can get to it.
(b) She hides all of the money and doles it out sparingly.
(c) She gives money to her father when he asks, even though she knows she shouldn't.
(d) She wastes some of it on things for herself and is ashamed, but buys food with the rest.
14. Who brings Rose Mary to Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) Grandpa Walls.
15. What does Brian do when some neighborhood kids break out a window in the house?
(a) He tells his father, who goes to talk to the other parents.
(b) He chases after them and throws rocks at them.
(c) He ignores them.
(d) He sits on the porch and cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Jeannette and Lori make big plans to do what?
2. Who is John?
3. Where are Jeannette's parents living when they move to New York?
4. Where is Jeannette finding food during the family's first winter in their new home in Welch?
5. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)