|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jeannette finding food during the family's first winter in their new home in Welch?
(a) She trades homework answers for food from her classmates' lunches.
(b) In the trash can at school.
(c) She is taking food from a neighbor's garden.
(d) She steals from her teacher.
2. What happens that saves Jeannette from having to drop out of school because of financial problems?
(a) She borrows money from her sister.
(b) Her mother sells her jewelry to help her.
(c) She gets a high-paying job.
(d) Her father comes up with the money for her tuition.
3. Where do the children go to shower after there is no longer any bathroom in their house?
(a) To the swimming pool.
(b) To a public restroom at a gas station.
(c) To their Grandpa's apartment.
(d) To their friends' houses.
4. Where are Jeannette's parents living when they move to New York?
(a) As squatters in an abandoned building.
(b) In their own home.
(c) In a hostel.
(d) With Lori in her apartment.
5. What does Jeannette want to do for a career by the time she is in 7th grade?
(a) Be a scientist.
(b) Be a social worker.
(c) Be a teacher.
(d) Be a writer.
6. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
(a) The children decide that they will all sleep together in the shed.
(b) They all sleep in one big bed.
(c) They finally have their own rooms.
(d) They sleep in one room and make beds out of ropes because there is no furniture.
7. Where does Jeannette attend college?
(a) Boston College.
(d) Columbia University.
8. What event throws Rex and Rose Mary into homelessness?
(a) Their daughter asks them to leave her house.
(b) They are kicked out of the shelter for stealing.
(c) The van that they are living in gets towed away.
(d) Rex gets arrested, and they fall behind in the rent.
9. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
(a) He gets ill and is hospitalized for a time.
(b) His doctor tells him he'll die if he doesn't get sober.
(c) Rose Mary threatens to leave him if he doesn't stop drinking.
(d) His daughter begs him to get sober before her wedding.
10. How does Jeannette finance her rent during her college years?
(a) She trades childcare for room and board.
(b) She borrows money from her sister.
(c) She lives in a hostel to save money.
(d) She pays for everything with student loans.
11. Where does Rex take Jeannette while her mother is gone in Part 3?
(a) To the opera.
(b) To buy a new dress for school.
(c) To a dance at her school.
(d) To a pool hall.
12. How do the Walls children get along socially at their new school in Part 3?
(a) The other kids all want to be friends with them because they're new.
(b) The other kids ignore them.
(c) The other children make fun of them and they get into fights.
(d) The other children are jealous of them.
13. How do Grandpa and Uncle Stanley react to Erma?
(a) They don't stand up to her.
(b) They yell at her a lot.
(c) They are embarrassed by her.
(d) They are abusive towards her.
14. What do Jeannette and Brian find when they are foraging in the woods?
(a) An expensive diamond ring.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) A camera.
(d) A set of golf clubs.
15. How does Jeannette help Dinitia's brother?
(a) She shares some of her lunch when he is hungry.
(b) She plays with him when his sister won't.
(c) She gives him her money to get a drink.
(d) She chases away a dog that is bothering him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Erma differ from Grandma Smith?
2. Who is Ginnie Sue?
3. In 7th grade, Jeannette finds a sense of belonging by:
4. What does Rose Mary tell the kids when they complain about their living conditions?
5. Why does Rex get upset about Maureen moving in with Lori?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)