|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rex tell Jeannette when he takes her to the bus station in Part 3?
(a) That he knows that she will be a huge success.
(b) That once she leaves, she is no longer welcome in the home.
(c) That she is making a huge mistake and will not be able to get along without her family.
(d) That she is always welcome to change her mind and come back home.
2. Why does Rex get upset about Maureen moving in with Lori?
(a) He wants Maureen to work and bring money to the family.
(b) He feels like Lori is stealing his family away.
(c) He doesn't think Maureen will be safe in the city.
(d) He is jealous that Lori won't let him and Rose Mary move in with her.
3. Why does Jeannette refuse to invite her father to her graduation?
(a) Because of his drunken behavior.
(b) Because she is afraid that her brother and father won't get along there.
(c) Because Rex doesn't know that she is in college.
(d) Because she doesn't think that he will come.
4. What is Erma's reaction when the children tell their parents about the incident between her and Brian?
(a) She breaks down and confesses to doing wrong.
(b) She kicks the entire family out of the house.
(c) She says everyone but Brian can stay with her.
(d) She says it is the truth but there is nothing wrong with what she did.
5. Who brings Rose Mary to Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) Grandpa Walls.
6. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) The kids use it as a hide out.
(b) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(c) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
(d) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
7. What happens when Jeannette goes swimming in a public pool?
(a) The other children mock her for living in a "trash heap" and chase her out of the pool.
(b) She nearly drowns after getting into a fight with another girl.
(c) A neighborhood girl befriends her.
(d) She finally finds something that she can enjoy doing during the summer.
8. How do the Thanksgiving guests remember Rex?
(a) With indifference.
(b) As an important force in their lives.
(c) With great resentment.
(d) As a man who caused more trouble than he was worth.
9. How did the Walls family heat their home during the winter?
(a) They have space heaters.
(b) They steal kerosene and coal from neighbors.
(c) There is no way to heat the house.
(d) Rose Mary has the children gather wood to burn.
10. How do Rose Mary and Rex react to the children's story about the incident between Erma and Brian?
(a) They side with Erma, saying the children should have behaved better.
(b) They are enraged at Erma.
(c) They beat the children for lying.
(d) They pretend that they do not hear what the children are saying.
11. What happens to the money that Jeannette is supposed to use to feed the family in Part 3?
(a) Her brother and sisters take it before she can buy groceries.
(b) It only lasts a few weeks.
(c) She wastes it all on things for the house.
(d) The kids are able to make it last until their mother returns.
12. Rex dies during Part 4 as a result of:
(c) Liver failure due to alcoholism.
(d) A heart attack.
13. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
(a) Rex doesn't think the job pays enough for what he is doing.
(b) He realizes that he can't do the job well.
(c) Rose Mary begs him to come back to the city.
(d) Lori tells him he should quit.
14. What does Jeannette decide to do instead of following the guidance counselor's advice?
(a) To wait for graduation and then move back to Phoenix.
(b) To move to New York City immediately, even before graduating high school.
(c) To stay at home, but drop out of school.
(d) To apply to top-notch schools.
15. How does Jeannette help Dinitia's brother?
(a) She gives him her money to get a drink.
(b) She plays with him when his sister won't.
(c) She shares some of her lunch when he is hungry.
(d) She chases away a dog that is bothering him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jeannette get a job in Part 3?
2. Where does the Wall family move at the beginning of Part 3 of the book?
3. Where does Rex take Jeannette while her mother is gone in Part 3?
4. What is the Walls new house in Part 3 like?
5. Who is John?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)