|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jeannette begin to refuse to go to her uncle's house?
(a) Because she is afraid to leave her siblings at home.
(b) Because she is mad at her grandfather, who also lives there.
(c) Because her uncle tried to molest her.
(d) Because she wants to help her mother instead.
2. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
(a) She agrees to stay and help the family if they will let Lori go.
(b) She helps her apply to college there.
(c) She agrees to send Lori money to help her if she moves there.
(d) She gets her a babysitting job and a bus ticket.
3. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
(a) That her mother owns land that is worth over a million dollars and hasn't sold it.
(b) That her mother has been saving money to buy a house.
(c) That her mother's family was very rich when she was a child.
(d) That her mother had put aside money for all of the children when they were small.
4. Where does Jeannette get a job in Part 3?
(a) A supermarket.
(b) A cafeteria.
(c) A jewelry store.
(d) A nursing home.
5. Where do the children go to shower after there is no longer any bathroom in their house?
(a) To the swimming pool.
(b) To their friends' houses.
(c) To their Grandpa's apartment.
(d) To a public restroom at a gas station.
6. What event precipitates the argument in which Erma ends up hitting Lori?
(a) Erma believes Jeannette stole her money.
(b) Brian becomes upset at Erma because she doesn't pay attention to him.
(c) Erma tells Lori that her father is "just a bum."
(d) Lori catches Erma attempting to molest Brian.
7. In Part 3, Jeannette and Lori make big plans to do what?
(a) Visit their Grandma Smith.
(b) Get jobs to help support the family.
(c) Steal their parent's money.
(d) Go to New York City.
8. What does Jeannette expect her new grandparents to be like?
(a) Warm, nurturing, and fun.
(b) Serious like her father.
(c) Cruel, because that has been her experience.
(d) She has no idea what having a grandparent would be like.
9. Who is Ginnie Sue?
(a) A prostitute who lives in the Walls neighborhood, and whose daughter Jeannette is friends with.
(b) Lori's only friend, who stands up for her with the other kids.
(c) Jeannette's imaginary friend.
(d) A woman who Rex is having an affair with.
10. Where do Jeannette and Lori first live in New York City?
(a) In a hostel.
(b) In a flophouse.
(c) In a house that they purchase with their savings.
(d) With friends.
11. Why do Rex and Rose Mary leave the children with their grandparents?
(a) They want the kids to spend 'quality time' with Erma.
(b) To go on a second honeymoon.
(c) Because Rex has a new moneymaking scheme in Texas.
(d) To return to Phoenix to pick up their belongings.
12. What does Jeannette do with the stolen item from her job?
(a) She gives it to her father.
(b) She returns it after just one day.
(c) She tells her sister to do what she wants to with it.
(d) She sells it.
13. Why does Jeannette refuse to invite her father to her graduation?
(a) Because of his drunken behavior.
(b) Because she doesn't think that he will come.
(c) Because she is afraid that her brother and father won't get along there.
(d) Because Rex doesn't know that she is in college.
14. Why do the other children look down on the Walls children?
(a) Because they aren't from Welch.
(b) Because of their lack of clothing and food.
(c) Because they are "teacher's pets."
(d) Because their mother doesn't have a real job.
15. How do the Thanksgiving guests remember Rex?
(a) With indifference.
(b) As an important force in their lives.
(c) With great resentment.
(d) As a man who caused more trouble than he was worth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maureen spend most of her time during her adolescence?
2. How do Grandpa and Uncle Stanley react to Erma?
3. After Jeannette gets a divorce, what type of life does she choose to live?
4. Rex dies during Part 4 as a result of:
5. Where does Erma tell the children to go stay after the argument with Lori?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)