|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeannette want to do for a career by the time she is in 7th grade?
(a) Be a teacher.
(b) Be a scientist.
(c) Be a writer.
(d) Be a social worker.
2. How do the Thanksgiving guests remember Rex?
(a) With indifference.
(b) As an important force in their lives.
(c) With great resentment.
(d) As a man who caused more trouble than he was worth.
3. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
(a) They finally have their own rooms.
(b) The children decide that they will all sleep together in the shed.
(c) They all sleep in one big bed.
(d) They sleep in one room and make beds out of ropes because there is no furniture.
4. How does Jeannette handle the family's finances while her mother is out of town?
(a) She wastes some of it on things for herself and is ashamed, but buys food with the rest.
(b) She hides all of the money and doles it out sparingly.
(c) She spends it all on food to last the entire month before her father can get to it.
(d) She gives money to her father when he asks, even though she knows she shouldn't.
5. What does Brian's mother do with what Jeanette and Brian find while foraging in the woods?
(a) She gives it as a gift to a friend.
(b) She loses it before she can sell it.
(c) She keeps it because it "raises her spirits".
(d) She sells it to a neighbor for less than it is worth.
6. What is Brian's occupation in Part 4?
(b) Police officer.
7. What does Jeannette do about her schooling when she moves to New York?
(a) She decides to drop out of school for a while and go back when she can save up money.
(b) She drops out of high school.
(c) She goes to school part-time and works full-time.
(d) She attends a public school and works for a small publication.
8. How does Jeannette's grandparents feel about her relationship with Dinitia?
(a) They dislike Dinitia because they once had a a feud with her parents.
(b) They don't like it because Dinitia is black.
(c) They are glad Jeannette has found a friend.
(d) They're friends with Dinitia's parents and enjoy having her around.
9. What does Jeannette's mother reluctantly do to help keep the family together in Part 3?
(a) She decides to move the family to Texas.
(b) She gets a job as a teacher.
(c) She gets the children into a good private school.
(d) She makes plans to leave Rex.
10. Why does Jeannette refuse to invite her father to her graduation?
(a) Because she is afraid that her brother and father won't get along there.
(b) Because Rex doesn't know that she is in college.
(c) Because she doesn't think that he will come.
(d) Because of his drunken behavior.
11. What do the children discover that their mother is doing while they have no food in the house?
(a) She is using drugs.
(b) She is hoarding candy bars and eating them by herself.
(c) She is stealing food to put in their lunches.
(d) She is taking money to gamble, rather than buying food.
12. Where does the Wall family move at the beginning of Part 3 of the book?
(a) Los Angeles, California.
(b) Welch, West Virginia.
13. What happens to the money that Lori and Jeannette have been saving?
(a) Their father breaks their piggy bank and steals it.
(b) They spend it on a school trip.
(c) They decide to give it to their parents.
(d) They lend it to their brother, who does not pay them back.
14. Where does Jeannette attend college?
(b) Boston College.
(d) Columbia University.
15. Where are Jeannette's parents living when they move to New York?
(a) In their own home.
(b) In a hostel.
(c) With Lori in her apartment.
(d) As squatters in an abandoned building.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
2. What happens that saves Jeannette from having to drop out of school because of financial problems?
3. How do Jeannette's views of her parents' behavior change as she develops into a teenager?
4. What is the Walls new house in Part 3 like?
5. What do Jeannette and Brian find when they are foraging in the woods?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)