|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jeannette living at the time that her parents move to New York City?
(a) With her boyfriend in a Park Avenue apartment.
(b) In her own home.
(c) In a small apartment in the Bronx.
(d) With her sisters.
2. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(b) The kids use it as a hide out.
(c) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
(d) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
3. What does Jeannette do when she decides she needs braces for her teeth?
(a) She tries to get a job at a dentist's office so that she can get braces.
(b) She tells her parents that she wants them for Christmas.
(c) She makes homemade braces out of rubber bands.
(d) She starts saving up money from her part time job.
4. Why do the Welch children end up in special education classes?
(a) The children tell the principal that they want to be in slower classes.
(b) The teacher talks to them and decides that they aren't smart.
(c) Their mother tells the school that the children can't read.
(d) They can't understand the principal and don't answer his questions correctly.
5. How did the Walls family heat their home during the winter?
(a) They steal kerosene and coal from neighbors.
(b) Rose Mary has the children gather wood to burn.
(c) They have space heaters.
(d) There is no way to heat the house.
6. Where does Jeannette attend college?
(a) Columbia University.
(b) Boston College.
7. Where does the Wall family move at the beginning of Part 3 of the book?
(c) Welch, West Virginia.
(d) Los Angeles, California.
8. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
(a) Lori tells him he should quit.
(b) Rex doesn't think the job pays enough for what he is doing.
(c) Rose Mary begs him to come back to the city.
(d) He realizes that he can't do the job well.
9. Who is John?
(a) Jeannette's second husband.
(b) Jeannette's son.
(c) Rex's brother.
(d) Brian's best friend.
10. Where are Jeannette's parents living when they move to New York?
(a) In their own home.
(b) In a hostel.
(c) With Lori in her apartment.
(d) As squatters in an abandoned building.
11. What does Brian do after graduating from high school?
(a) He stays in Welch and gets a menial job.
(b) He moves to New York City to be near his sisters.
(c) He gets into trouble with the law.
(d) He enrolls in college.
12. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
(a) She agrees to stay and help the family if they will let Lori go.
(b) She gets her a babysitting job and a bus ticket.
(c) She helps her apply to college there.
(d) She agrees to send Lori money to help her if she moves there.
13. Where does Maureen spend most of her time during her adolescence?
(a) Staying at her Grandpa's house.
(b) At friends' houses.
(c) In her bedroom, alone.
(d) With her teachers.
14. Where does Jeannette get a job in Part 3?
(a) A cafeteria.
(b) A nursing home.
(c) A jewelry store.
(d) A supermarket.
15. What does Rose Mary tell the kids when they complain about their living conditions?
(a) That many people on their street have worse situations than theirs.
(b) That they are very lucky that they have their siblings.
(c) That they need to go out and get jobs to help the family.
(d) That if they are unhappy they should leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Erma tell the children to go stay after the argument with Lori?
2. What is Brian's occupation in Part 4?
3. What event throws Rex and Rose Mary into homelessness?
4. Why does Rex get upset about Maureen moving in with Lori?
5. How do the Thanksgiving guests remember Rex?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)