|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) The kids use it as a hide out.
(b) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(c) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
(d) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
2. Where is Rose Mary living at the time of the Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) In a women's shelter.
(b) In Lori's apartment.
(c) In the same abandoned apartment building that she and Rex had been squatting in for years.
(d) In her own apartment.
3. What incident helps cement Jeannette's conviction to leave Welch and her family?
(a) She gets into a fight with another girl at school.
(b) Her father punishes her after she tells her mother to stop acting like a child.
(c) Her sister runs away.
(d) She catches her father with another woman.
4. Who is John?
(a) Brian's best friend.
(b) Jeannette's second husband.
(c) Rex's brother.
(d) Jeannette's son.
5. Why does Jeannette refuse to invite her father to her graduation?
(a) Because Rex doesn't know that she is in college.
(b) Because of his drunken behavior.
(c) Because she is afraid that her brother and father won't get along there.
(d) Because she doesn't think that he will come.
6. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
(a) Rex doesn't think the job pays enough for what he is doing.
(b) He realizes that he can't do the job well.
(c) Lori tells him he should quit.
(d) Rose Mary begs him to come back to the city.
7. Who is Ginnie Sue?
(a) A prostitute who lives in the Walls neighborhood, and whose daughter Jeannette is friends with.
(b) A woman who Rex is having an affair with.
(c) Lori's only friend, who stands up for her with the other kids.
(d) Jeannette's imaginary friend.
8. Where is Jeannette finding food during the family's first winter in their new home in Welch?
(a) She is taking food from a neighbor's garden.
(b) In the trash can at school.
(c) She trades homework answers for food from her classmates' lunches.
(d) She steals from her teacher.
9. Where does Erma tell the children to go stay after the argument with Lori?
(a) At the neighbor's house.
(b) In the backyard.
(c) In the shed.
(d) In the basement.
10. Why does Jeannette begin to refuse to go to her uncle's house?
(a) Because she is mad at her grandfather, who also lives there.
(b) Because her uncle tried to molest her.
(c) Because she wants to help her mother instead.
(d) Because she is afraid to leave her siblings at home.
11. What do the children discover that their mother is doing while they have no food in the house?
(a) She is taking money to gamble, rather than buying food.
(b) She is stealing food to put in their lunches.
(c) She is using drugs.
(d) She is hoarding candy bars and eating them by herself.
12. How does Rex put Jeannette in a potentially dangerous situation in Part 3?
(a) By giving her alcohol.
(b) By leaving her alone at home.
(c) By letting her stay out all night.
(d) By having her "entertain" a man who he is playing pool with.
13. Why does Jeannette end up stealing from her place of employment?
(a) To give a gift to her mother.
(b) Because she feels she deserves to have something nice.
(c) In order to buy food.
(d) To get even, when her boss accuses her of being a thief.
14. After Jeannette gets a divorce, what type of life does she choose to live?
(a) A simpler life.
(b) She decides to devote her life to non-profit work.
(c) A life of luxury.
(d) A life devoted to her parents.
15. Where do Rex and Rose Mary live when they eventually move to New York?
(a) With Jeannette and her boyfriend.
(b) In a homeless shelter.
(c) In Lori's apartment.
(d) In a boardinghouse and then a flophouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Rex and Rose Mary leave the children with their grandparents?
2. What event throws Rex and Rose Mary into homelessness?
3. What does Brian do when some neighborhood kids break out a window in the house?
4. Where does Jeannette attend college?
5. What does Jeannette do with the stolen item from her job?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)