|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeannette do with the stolen item from her job?
(a) She returns it after just one day.
(b) She tells her sister to do what she wants to with it.
(c) She sells it.
(d) She gives it to her father.
2. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
(a) He offers her money for food.
(b) He makes an off-color comment to her.
(c) He refers to her father as "the town drunk."
(d) He tells her that she won't ever be anything.
3. After Jeannette gets a divorce, what type of life does she choose to live?
(a) She decides to devote her life to non-profit work.
(b) A life devoted to her parents.
(c) A life of luxury.
(d) A simpler life.
4. The owner of the paper that Jeannette works for encourages her to do what?
(a) Go to college.
(b) Take time off after high school to decide what she wants to do.
(c) Take a job at the paper.
(d) Go back to her parents.
5. How does Jeannette's grandparents feel about her relationship with Dinitia?
(a) They are glad Jeannette has found a friend.
(b) They don't like it because Dinitia is black.
(c) They dislike Dinitia because they once had a a feud with her parents.
(d) They're friends with Dinitia's parents and enjoy having her around.
6. Where are Jeannette's parents living when they move to New York?
(a) In a hostel.
(b) With Lori in her apartment.
(c) As squatters in an abandoned building.
(d) In their own home.
7. What incident helps cement Jeannette's conviction to leave Welch and her family?
(a) Her sister runs away.
(b) She catches her father with another woman.
(c) She gets into a fight with another girl at school.
(d) Her father punishes her after she tells her mother to stop acting like a child.
8. Where does Maureen spend most of her time during her adolescence?
(a) Staying at her Grandpa's house.
(b) In her bedroom, alone.
(c) At friends' houses.
(d) With her teachers.
9. What do Jeannette and Brian find when they are foraging in the woods?
(a) An expensive diamond ring.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) A set of golf clubs.
(d) A camera.
10. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
(a) That her mother owns land that is worth over a million dollars and hasn't sold it.
(b) That her mother's family was very rich when she was a child.
(c) That her mother has been saving money to buy a house.
(d) That her mother had put aside money for all of the children when they were small.
11. Where is Jeannette living at the time that her parents move to New York City?
(a) With her sisters.
(b) With her boyfriend in a Park Avenue apartment.
(c) In her own home.
(d) In a small apartment in the Bronx.
12. What does Rex tell Jeannette when he takes her to the bus station in Part 3?
(a) That once she leaves, she is no longer welcome in the home.
(b) That he knows that she will be a huge success.
(c) That she is making a huge mistake and will not be able to get along without her family.
(d) That she is always welcome to change her mind and come back home.
13. What does Jeannette do about her schooling when she moves to New York?
(a) She attends a public school and works for a small publication.
(b) She decides to drop out of school for a while and go back when she can save up money.
(c) She goes to school part-time and works full-time.
(d) She drops out of high school.
14. Rex dies during Part 4 as a result of:
(a) A heart attack.
(b) Liver failure due to alcoholism.
15. Where is Jeannette finding food during the family's first winter in their new home in Welch?
(a) She is taking food from a neighbor's garden.
(b) She trades homework answers for food from her classmates' lunches.
(c) She steals from her teacher.
(d) In the trash can at school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian do when some neighborhood kids break out a window in the house?
2. Where is Rose Mary living at the time of the Thanksgiving dinner?
3. Where does the Wall family move at the beginning of Part 3 of the book?
4. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
5. What happens to the money that Jeannette is supposed to use to feed the family in Part 3?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)