|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What incident helps cement Jeannette's conviction to leave Welch and her family?
(a) Her sister runs away.
(b) She catches her father with another woman.
(c) She gets into a fight with another girl at school.
(d) Her father punishes her after she tells her mother to stop acting like a child.
2. Why do Jeannette's parents express concern over her living arrangement in New York?
(a) They are concerned for her safety.
(b) They don't like her roommate.
(c) They think that her apartment is too small.
(d) They believe living in luxury will spoil her.
3. When Jeannette is sent out to get her father in Welch, where does she finally find him?
(a) Passed out on the side of the road.
(b) At a bar.
(c) At the Green Lantern.
(d) At his mother's house.
4. What does Jeannette expect her new grandparents to be like?
(a) She has no idea what having a grandparent would be like.
(b) Cruel, because that has been her experience.
(c) Serious like her father.
(d) Warm, nurturing, and fun.
5. How does Jeannette describe her and Lori's first apartment together in New York?
(a) It is very luxurious.
(b) It is bigger than their entire house in Welch.
(c) It's out in the middle of nowhere.
(d) It is run-down and they are miserable.
6. Where does Maureen go upon her release from the hospital?
(a) Back to the family home in Phoenix.
(b) To live with her sister.
(c) To California.
(d) To her parent's old house in Welch.
7. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
(a) His doctor tells him he'll die if he doesn't get sober.
(b) His daughter begs him to get sober before her wedding.
(c) He gets ill and is hospitalized for a time.
(d) Rose Mary threatens to leave him if he doesn't stop drinking.
8. How do the Thanksgiving guests remember Rex?
(a) With indifference.
(b) As a man who caused more trouble than he was worth.
(c) With great resentment.
(d) As an important force in their lives.
9. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
(a) He tells her that she won't ever be anything.
(b) He makes an off-color comment to her.
(c) He refers to her father as "the town drunk."
(d) He offers her money for food.
10. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
(a) She agrees to stay and help the family if they will let Lori go.
(b) She helps her apply to college there.
(c) She gets her a babysitting job and a bus ticket.
(d) She agrees to send Lori money to help her if she moves there.
11. What is the condition of the Wells' house like when spring comes in Part 3?
(a) The kids paint the outside and fix up the yard, but the inside is still in bad shape.
(b) The house is deteriorating with mold everywhere and no front door.
(c) The family has added onto the house, so there is more room for the children.
(d) The house has been burned down.
12. Why does Jeannette end up stealing from her place of employment?
(a) In order to buy food.
(b) To get even, when her boss accuses her of being a thief.
(c) To give a gift to her mother.
(d) Because she feels she deserves to have something nice.
13. What does Jeannette do when she decides she needs braces for her teeth?
(a) She tries to get a job at a dentist's office so that she can get braces.
(b) She starts saving up money from her part time job.
(c) She makes homemade braces out of rubber bands.
(d) She tells her parents that she wants them for Christmas.
14. What does Rex tell Jeannette when he takes her to the bus station in Part 3?
(a) That she is always welcome to change her mind and come back home.
(b) That she is making a huge mistake and will not be able to get along without her family.
(c) That he knows that she will be a huge success.
(d) That once she leaves, she is no longer welcome in the home.
15. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
(a) That her mother's family was very rich when she was a child.
(b) That her mother has been saving money to buy a house.
(c) That her mother owns land that is worth over a million dollars and hasn't sold it.
(d) That her mother had put aside money for all of the children when they were small.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
2. Where does Erma tell the children to go stay after the argument with Lori?
3. What event throws Rex and Rose Mary into homelessness?
4. Since the Walls family cannot find a house they can afford to rent, what do they do instead?
5. What does Jeannette decide to do instead of following the guidance counselor's advice?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)