|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brian do when some neighborhood kids break out a window in the house?
(a) He tells his father, who goes to talk to the other parents.
(b) He sits on the porch and cries.
(c) He ignores them.
(d) He chases after them and throws rocks at them.
2. What does Jeannette's mother reluctantly do to help keep the family together in Part 3?
(a) She gets the children into a good private school.
(b) She decides to move the family to Texas.
(c) She makes plans to leave Rex.
(d) She gets a job as a teacher.
3. How do Grandpa and Uncle Stanley react to Erma?
(a) They yell at her a lot.
(b) They are embarrassed by her.
(c) They don't stand up to her.
(d) They are abusive towards her.
4. What is Erma's reaction when the children tell their parents about the incident between her and Brian?
(a) She kicks the entire family out of the house.
(b) She breaks down and confesses to doing wrong.
(c) She says it is the truth but there is nothing wrong with what she did.
(d) She says everyone but Brian can stay with her.
5. What is Brian doing as he enters adolescence?
(a) He stays in his room alone all of the time but does well in school.
(b) He is getting into trouble and frequently involved in fights.
(c) Doing better in school and planning for graduation.
(d) He has left home and the family has not heard from him.
6. Why do the other children look down on the Walls children?
(a) Because they are "teacher's pets."
(b) Because of their lack of clothing and food.
(c) Because their mother doesn't have a real job.
(d) Because they aren't from Welch.
7. Where does Rex take Jeannette while her mother is gone in Part 3?
(a) To buy a new dress for school.
(b) To a dance at her school.
(c) To the opera.
(d) To a pool hall.
8. What does Rex tell Jeannette when he takes her to the bus station in Part 3?
(a) That she is making a huge mistake and will not be able to get along without her family.
(b) That he knows that she will be a huge success.
(c) That once she leaves, she is no longer welcome in the home.
(d) That she is always welcome to change her mind and come back home.
9. How does Erma differ from Grandma Smith?
(a) Erma is very kind and shy, while Grandma Smith was standoffish.
(b) Erma is very urban and streetwise, while Grandma Smith was very "country".
(c) Erma is close her family, and Grandma Smith was distant.
(d) Erma is callous and rough, while Grandma Smith was very nurturing.
10. The Walls' parents refuse to accept help from their children. Why?
(a) They view homelessness as an 'adventure'.
(b) They want to get out of the situation on their own.
(c) They feel guilty about not providing for their children.
(d) They believe that they are going to be rich soon.
11. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
(a) She stabs her mother during an argument.
(b) She threatens her brother and sisters.
(c) She robs a convenience store while on drugs.
(d) She sets fire to her boyfriend's home.
12. Why does Rex get upset about Maureen moving in with Lori?
(a) He doesn't think Maureen will be safe in the city.
(b) He feels like Lori is stealing his family away.
(c) He is jealous that Lori won't let him and Rose Mary move in with her.
(d) He wants Maureen to work and bring money to the family.
13. What does Jeannette want to do for a career by the time she is in 7th grade?
(a) Be a social worker.
(b) Be a writer.
(c) Be a teacher.
(d) Be a scientist.
14. Where does Erma tell the children to go stay after the argument with Lori?
(a) In the shed.
(b) At the neighbor's house.
(c) In the basement.
(d) In the backyard.
15. What is the Walls new house in Part 3 like?
(a) It is an old-fashioned house with lots of room.
(b) It is a very run-down one bedroom with no indoor plumbing.
(c) It is very small, but clean and modern.
(d) It is a mobile home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeannette handle the family's finances while her mother is out of town?
2. Why does Jeannette confront her mother and say she is acting like a child?
3. What does Jeannette decide to do instead of following the guidance counselor's advice?
4. After Jeannette gets a divorce, what type of life does she choose to live?
5. Who is Dinitia?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)