|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jeannette and Brian find when they are foraging in the woods?
(a) A set of golf clubs.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) An expensive diamond ring.
(d) A camera.
2. What do the children discover that their mother is doing while they have no food in the house?
(a) She is taking money to gamble, rather than buying food.
(b) She is using drugs.
(c) She is stealing food to put in their lunches.
(d) She is hoarding candy bars and eating them by herself.
3. What event precipitates the argument in which Erma ends up hitting Lori?
(a) Erma believes Jeannette stole her money.
(b) Lori catches Erma attempting to molest Brian.
(c) Brian becomes upset at Erma because she doesn't pay attention to him.
(d) Erma tells Lori that her father is "just a bum."
4. What does Jeannette want to do for a career by the time she is in 7th grade?
(a) Be a teacher.
(b) Be a writer.
(c) Be a social worker.
(d) Be a scientist.
5. How does Jeannette handle the family's finances while her mother is out of town?
(a) She hides all of the money and doles it out sparingly.
(b) She gives money to her father when he asks, even though she knows she shouldn't.
(c) She spends it all on food to last the entire month before her father can get to it.
(d) She wastes some of it on things for herself and is ashamed, but buys food with the rest.
6. What is Jeannette's occupation in New York in Part 4?
7. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
(a) Rose Mary threatens to leave him if he doesn't stop drinking.
(b) His daughter begs him to get sober before her wedding.
(c) His doctor tells him he'll die if he doesn't get sober.
(d) He gets ill and is hospitalized for a time.
8. How do Jeannette's views of her parents' behavior change as she develops into a teenager?
(a) She is becoming resentful towards them.
(b) She can no longer make excuses for their actions, as she did as a small child.
(c) She understands more why they have done what they have done, and she agrees with them.
(d) She starts to make excuses and find ways to justify all of the things that they have done.
9. What incident helps cement Jeannette's conviction to leave Welch and her family?
(a) Her father punishes her after she tells her mother to stop acting like a child.
(b) She catches her father with another woman.
(c) She gets into a fight with another girl at school.
(d) Her sister runs away.
10. What is the condition of the Wells' house like when spring comes in Part 3?
(a) The kids paint the outside and fix up the yard, but the inside is still in bad shape.
(b) The house is deteriorating with mold everywhere and no front door.
(c) The family has added onto the house, so there is more room for the children.
(d) The house has been burned down.
11. What does Jeannette do with the stolen item from her job?
(a) She tells her sister to do what she wants to with it.
(b) She returns it after just one day.
(c) She gives it to her father.
(d) She sells it.
12. Why does Rex get upset about Maureen moving in with Lori?
(a) He feels like Lori is stealing his family away.
(b) He doesn't think Maureen will be safe in the city.
(c) He wants Maureen to work and bring money to the family.
(d) He is jealous that Lori won't let him and Rose Mary move in with her.
13. Why do Rex and Rose Mary leave the children with their grandparents?
(a) Because Rex has a new moneymaking scheme in Texas.
(b) To return to Phoenix to pick up their belongings.
(c) To go on a second honeymoon.
(d) They want the kids to spend 'quality time' with Erma.
14. Why do Jeannette's parents express concern over her living arrangement in New York?
(a) They are concerned for her safety.
(b) They think that her apartment is too small.
(c) They don't like her roommate.
(d) They believe living in luxury will spoil her.
15. What is the high school guidance counselor's advice for Jeannette?
(a) To get married and not worry about school.
(b) To graduate high school and find a college to go to in West Virginia.
(c) To find a vocational school to go to, and live at home.
(d) To keep her aspirations low, considering her background.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Grandpa and Uncle Stanley react to Erma?
2. For what purpose do Jeannette and Brian start digging a large hole in the backyard?
3. Why does Jeannette begin to refuse to go to her uncle's house?
4. Since the Walls family cannot find a house they can afford to rent, what do they do instead?
5. What happens when Jeannette goes swimming in a public pool?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)