|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
(a) He realizes that he can't do the job well.
(b) Rose Mary begs him to come back to the city.
(c) Lori tells him he should quit.
(d) Rex doesn't think the job pays enough for what he is doing.
2. What incident helps cement Jeannette's conviction to leave Welch and her family?
(a) She catches her father with another woman.
(b) Her father punishes her after she tells her mother to stop acting like a child.
(c) She gets into a fight with another girl at school.
(d) Her sister runs away.
3. How do the Walls children get along socially at their new school in Part 3?
(a) The other children are jealous of them.
(b) The other kids all want to be friends with them because they're new.
(c) The other children make fun of them and they get into fights.
(d) The other kids ignore them.
4. The Walls' parents refuse to accept help from their children. Why?
(a) They believe that they are going to be rich soon.
(b) They feel guilty about not providing for their children.
(c) They view homelessness as an 'adventure'.
(d) They want to get out of the situation on their own.
5. Rex dies during Part 4 as a result of:
(b) Liver failure due to alcoholism.
(c) A heart attack.
6. How does Erma differ from Grandma Smith?
(a) Erma is very urban and streetwise, while Grandma Smith was very "country".
(b) Erma is close her family, and Grandma Smith was distant.
(c) Erma is callous and rough, while Grandma Smith was very nurturing.
(d) Erma is very kind and shy, while Grandma Smith was standoffish.
7. Where are Jeannette's parents living when they move to New York?
(a) As squatters in an abandoned building.
(b) With Lori in her apartment.
(c) In their own home.
(d) In a hostel.
8. Where does Jeannette attend college?
(b) Columbia University.
(d) Boston College.
9. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
(a) They sleep in one room and make beds out of ropes because there is no furniture.
(b) They finally have their own rooms.
(c) The children decide that they will all sleep together in the shed.
(d) They all sleep in one big bed.
10. Where does Jeannette get a job in Part 3?
(a) A nursing home.
(b) A supermarket.
(c) A cafeteria.
(d) A jewelry store.
11. What is Brian doing as he enters adolescence?
(a) He has left home and the family has not heard from him.
(b) Doing better in school and planning for graduation.
(c) He is getting into trouble and frequently involved in fights.
(d) He stays in his room alone all of the time but does well in school.
12. Where does Maureen go upon her release from the hospital?
(a) To live with her sister.
(b) To California.
(c) Back to the family home in Phoenix.
(d) To her parent's old house in Welch.
13. What does Rose Mary tell the kids when they complain about their living conditions?
(a) That they are very lucky that they have their siblings.
(b) That they need to go out and get jobs to help the family.
(c) That many people on their street have worse situations than theirs.
(d) That if they are unhappy they should leave.
14. How did the Walls family heat their home during the winter?
(a) Rose Mary has the children gather wood to burn.
(b) They steal kerosene and coal from neighbors.
(c) They have space heaters.
(d) There is no way to heat the house.
15. What does Jeannette plan to do after high school?
(a) Go straight to college.
(b) Take a job with the publication she interns for.
(c) Travel the world.
(d) Move back to Welch to be near her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what purpose do Jeannette and Brian start digging a large hole in the backyard?
2. What does Jeannette's mother reluctantly do to help keep the family together in Part 3?
3. Why do the Welch children end up in special education classes?
4. What does Jeannette expect her new grandparents to be like?
5. Why do Rex and Rose Mary leave the children with their grandparents?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)