|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
(a) The children decide that they will all sleep together in the shed.
(b) They all sleep in one big bed.
(c) They finally have their own rooms.
(d) They sleep in one room and make beds out of ropes because there is no furniture.
2. Where is Jeannette living at the time that her parents move to New York City?
(a) With her sisters.
(b) In a small apartment in the Bronx.
(c) With her boyfriend in a Park Avenue apartment.
(d) In her own home.
3. Who is Ginnie Sue?
(a) A woman who Rex is having an affair with.
(b) Lori's only friend, who stands up for her with the other kids.
(c) Jeannette's imaginary friend.
(d) A prostitute who lives in the Walls neighborhood, and whose daughter Jeannette is friends with.
4. What does Jeannette plan to do after high school?
(a) Travel the world.
(b) Move back to Welch to be near her parents.
(c) Take a job with the publication she interns for.
(d) Go straight to college.
5. What does Brian's mother do with what Jeanette and Brian find while foraging in the woods?
(a) She keeps it because it "raises her spirits".
(b) She gives it as a gift to a friend.
(c) She loses it before she can sell it.
(d) She sells it to a neighbor for less than it is worth.
6. After Jeannette gets a divorce, what type of life does she choose to live?
(a) She decides to devote her life to non-profit work.
(b) A life of luxury.
(c) A life devoted to her parents.
(d) A simpler life.
7. What does Rex tell Jeannette when he takes her to the bus station in Part 3?
(a) That once she leaves, she is no longer welcome in the home.
(b) That she is making a huge mistake and will not be able to get along without her family.
(c) That he knows that she will be a huge success.
(d) That she is always welcome to change her mind and come back home.
8. What event throws Rex and Rose Mary into homelessness?
(a) Rex gets arrested, and they fall behind in the rent.
(b) Their daughter asks them to leave her house.
(c) They are kicked out of the shelter for stealing.
(d) The van that they are living in gets towed away.
9. What do the children discover that their mother is doing while they have no food in the house?
(a) She is stealing food to put in their lunches.
(b) She is using drugs.
(c) She is taking money to gamble, rather than buying food.
(d) She is hoarding candy bars and eating them by herself.
10. How does Jeannette help Dinitia's brother?
(a) She gives him her money to get a drink.
(b) She plays with him when his sister won't.
(c) She chases away a dog that is bothering him.
(d) She shares some of her lunch when he is hungry.
11. For what purpose do Jeannette and Brian start digging a large hole in the backyard?
(a) They hide all of their prized possessions in it.
(b) They want to help Rex build the foundation for the glass castle.
(c) They want to have a place to go and hide by themselves to talk.
(d) They decide to make a pet cemetery for their dogs and cats.
12. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
(a) She agrees to stay and help the family if they will let Lori go.
(b) She gets her a babysitting job and a bus ticket.
(c) She helps her apply to college there.
(d) She agrees to send Lori money to help her if she moves there.
13. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) The kids use it as a hide out.
(b) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(c) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
(d) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
14. What does Jeannette want to do for a career by the time she is in 7th grade?
(a) Be a scientist.
(b) Be a writer.
(c) Be a social worker.
(d) Be a teacher.
15. How do Jeannette's views of her parents' behavior change as she develops into a teenager?
(a) She can no longer make excuses for their actions, as she did as a small child.
(b) She starts to make excuses and find ways to justify all of the things that they have done.
(c) She understands more why they have done what they have done, and she agrees with them.
(d) She is becoming resentful towards them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event leads to Rex's becoming (temporarily) sober in Part 4?
2. Where are Jeannette's parents living when they move to New York?
3. The owner of the paper that Jeannette works for encourages her to do what?
4. How does Lori get burned at the house in Welch?
5. What does Jeannette tell her parents about the social worker visiting the house?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)