|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John?
(a) Jeannette's son.
(b) Brian's best friend.
(c) Rex's brother.
(d) Jeannette's second husband.
2. What do the children discover that their mother is doing while they have no food in the house?
(a) She is taking money to gamble, rather than buying food.
(b) She is using drugs.
(c) She is stealing food to put in their lunches.
(d) She is hoarding candy bars and eating them by herself.
3. The owner of the paper that Jeannette works for encourages her to do what?
(a) Take a job at the paper.
(b) Go to college.
(c) Go back to her parents.
(d) Take time off after high school to decide what she wants to do.
4. Since the Walls family cannot find a house they can afford to rent, what do they do instead?
(a) Move in with friends.
(b) Buy a house.
(c) Build a house from found materials.
(d) Live in an abandoned house.
5. What does Rose Mary tell the kids when they complain about their living conditions?
(a) That many people on their street have worse situations than theirs.
(b) That if they are unhappy they should leave.
(c) That they are very lucky that they have their siblings.
(d) That they need to go out and get jobs to help the family.
6. Why does Rex leave home and disappear for several days following the death of his mother?
(a) He gets into a big fight with Rose Mary about money.
(b) He goes to stay with another woman.
(c) He gets upset at his family for not respecting his mother's funeral.
(d) He is embarrassed that he has lost another job.
7. How does Erma differ from Grandma Smith?
(a) Erma is close her family, and Grandma Smith was distant.
(b) Erma is callous and rough, while Grandma Smith was very nurturing.
(c) Erma is very kind and shy, while Grandma Smith was standoffish.
(d) Erma is very urban and streetwise, while Grandma Smith was very "country".
8. How does Jeannette describe her and Lori's first apartment together in New York?
(a) It is very luxurious.
(b) It is run-down and they are miserable.
(c) It's out in the middle of nowhere.
(d) It is bigger than their entire house in Welch.
9. What event precipitates the argument in which Erma ends up hitting Lori?
(a) Lori catches Erma attempting to molest Brian.
(b) Erma believes Jeannette stole her money.
(c) Brian becomes upset at Erma because she doesn't pay attention to him.
(d) Erma tells Lori that her father is "just a bum."
10. Where is Jeannette finding food during the family's first winter in their new home in Welch?
(a) She steals from her teacher.
(b) She is taking food from a neighbor's garden.
(c) She trades homework answers for food from her classmates' lunches.
(d) In the trash can at school.
11. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
(a) The children decide that they will all sleep together in the shed.
(b) They all sleep in one big bed.
(c) They sleep in one room and make beds out of ropes because there is no furniture.
(d) They finally have their own rooms.
12. Why do Jeannette's parents express concern over her living arrangement in New York?
(a) They think that her apartment is too small.
(b) They don't like her roommate.
(c) They are concerned for her safety.
(d) They believe living in luxury will spoil her.
13. How do Jeannette's views of her parents' behavior change as she develops into a teenager?
(a) She starts to make excuses and find ways to justify all of the things that they have done.
(b) She is becoming resentful towards them.
(c) She can no longer make excuses for their actions, as she did as a small child.
(d) She understands more why they have done what they have done, and she agrees with them.
14. How does Rex put Jeannette in a potentially dangerous situation in Part 3?
(a) By giving her alcohol.
(b) By letting her stay out all night.
(c) By having her "entertain" a man who he is playing pool with.
(d) By leaving her alone at home.
15. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
(a) He tells her that she won't ever be anything.
(b) He offers her money for food.
(c) He refers to her father as "the town drunk."
(d) He makes an off-color comment to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Rex and Rose Mary leave the children with their grandparents?
2. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
3. Why does Jeannette refuse to invite her father to her graduation?
4. What is Jeannette's occupation in New York in Part 4?
5. How do the Thanksgiving guests remember Rex?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)