|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Rose Mary and Rex react to the children's story about the incident between Erma and Brian?
(a) They beat the children for lying.
(b) They are enraged at Erma.
(c) They pretend that they do not hear what the children are saying.
(d) They side with Erma, saying the children should have behaved better.
2. Who is John?
(a) Rex's brother.
(b) Jeannette's son.
(c) Brian's best friend.
(d) Jeannette's second husband.
3. Why does Rex leave home and disappear for several days following the death of his mother?
(a) He goes to stay with another woman.
(b) He is embarrassed that he has lost another job.
(c) He gets into a big fight with Rose Mary about money.
(d) He gets upset at his family for not respecting his mother's funeral.
4. The Walls' parents refuse to accept help from their children. Why?
(a) They believe that they are going to be rich soon.
(b) They view homelessness as an 'adventure'.
(c) They want to get out of the situation on their own.
(d) They feel guilty about not providing for their children.
5. Where does Maureen spend most of her time during her adolescence?
(a) Staying at her Grandpa's house.
(b) At friends' houses.
(c) With her teachers.
(d) In her bedroom, alone.
6. What does Brian do when some neighborhood kids break out a window in the house?
(a) He tells his father, who goes to talk to the other parents.
(b) He sits on the porch and cries.
(c) He chases after them and throws rocks at them.
(d) He ignores them.
7. What does Jeannette try to talk her mother into doing to make hers and the children's lives better?
(a) Getting a better job.
(b) Moving back to Phoenix.
(c) Getting her father into rehab for his drinking.
(d) Leaving her father.
8. Where are Jeannette's parents living when they move to New York?
(a) In their own home.
(b) As squatters in an abandoned building.
(c) In a hostel.
(d) With Lori in her apartment.
9. What is Jeannette's occupation in New York in Part 4?
10. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
(a) She agrees to stay and help the family if they will let Lori go.
(b) She gets her a babysitting job and a bus ticket.
(c) She agrees to send Lori money to help her if she moves there.
(d) She helps her apply to college there.
11. What does Jeannette tell her parents about the social worker visiting the house?
(a) That she told the social worker to go away.
(b) That she told the social worker the truth about what is going on in the home.
(c) That they need to do something to help keep the family together.
(d) That she hopes that the social workers take her to a new home.
12. What does Jeannette's mother reluctantly do to help keep the family together in Part 3?
(a) She decides to move the family to Texas.
(b) She gets a job as a teacher.
(c) She makes plans to leave Rex.
(d) She gets the children into a good private school.
13. Why do the other children look down on the Walls children?
(a) Because their mother doesn't have a real job.
(b) Because they are "teacher's pets."
(c) Because of their lack of clothing and food.
(d) Because they aren't from Welch.
14. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
(a) That her mother had put aside money for all of the children when they were small.
(b) That her mother owns land that is worth over a million dollars and hasn't sold it.
(c) That her mother has been saving money to buy a house.
(d) That her mother's family was very rich when she was a child.
15. Who brings Rose Mary to Thanksgiving dinner?
(c) Grandpa Walls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jeannette and Brian find when they are foraging in the woods?
2. In Part 3, Jeannette and Lori make big plans to do what?
3. What do the children discover that their mother is doing while they have no food in the house?
4. How does Erma differ from Grandma Smith?
5. Where does Jeannette get a job in Part 3?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)