|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Erma's reaction when the children tell their parents about the incident between her and Brian?
(a) She says everyone but Brian can stay with her.
(b) She says it is the truth but there is nothing wrong with what she did.
(c) She breaks down and confesses to doing wrong.
(d) She kicks the entire family out of the house.
2. Where is Jeannette living at the time that her parents move to New York City?
(a) With her sisters.
(b) In a small apartment in the Bronx.
(c) With her boyfriend in a Park Avenue apartment.
(d) In her own home.
3. What happens that saves Jeannette from having to drop out of school because of financial problems?
(a) She borrows money from her sister.
(b) Her father comes up with the money for her tuition.
(c) She gets a high-paying job.
(d) Her mother sells her jewelry to help her.
4. How do Jeannette's views of her parents' behavior change as she develops into a teenager?
(a) She understands more why they have done what they have done, and she agrees with them.
(b) She can no longer make excuses for their actions, as she did as a small child.
(c) She starts to make excuses and find ways to justify all of the things that they have done.
(d) She is becoming resentful towards them.
5. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
(a) Lori tells him he should quit.
(b) Rex doesn't think the job pays enough for what he is doing.
(c) Rose Mary begs him to come back to the city.
(d) He realizes that he can't do the job well.
6. Where is Rose Mary living at the time of the Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) In her own apartment.
(b) In Lori's apartment.
(c) In a women's shelter.
(d) In the same abandoned apartment building that she and Rex had been squatting in for years.
7. What is the high school guidance counselor's advice for Jeannette?
(a) To get married and not worry about school.
(b) To keep her aspirations low, considering her background.
(c) To find a vocational school to go to, and live at home.
(d) To graduate high school and find a college to go to in West Virginia.
8. How does Jeannette help Lori get to New York City?
(a) She helps her apply to college there.
(b) She gets her a babysitting job and a bus ticket.
(c) She agrees to stay and help the family if they will let Lori go.
(d) She agrees to send Lori money to help her if she moves there.
9. What does Jeannette do about her schooling when she moves to New York?
(a) She drops out of high school.
(b) She decides to drop out of school for a while and go back when she can save up money.
(c) She attends a public school and works for a small publication.
(d) She goes to school part-time and works full-time.
10. Where does Jeannette attend college?
(a) Boston College.
(b) Columbia University.
11. The Walls' parents refuse to accept help from their children. Why?
(a) They view homelessness as an 'adventure'.
(b) They believe that they are going to be rich soon.
(c) They feel guilty about not providing for their children.
(d) They want to get out of the situation on their own.
12. What does Rose Mary tell the kids when they complain about their living conditions?
(a) That if they are unhappy they should leave.
(b) That they need to go out and get jobs to help the family.
(c) That they are very lucky that they have their siblings.
(d) That many people on their street have worse situations than theirs.
13. Where is Jeannette finding food during the family's first winter in their new home in Welch?
(a) She steals from her teacher.
(b) She is taking food from a neighbor's garden.
(c) She trades homework answers for food from her classmates' lunches.
(d) In the trash can at school.
14. Who is Ginnie Sue?
(a) Lori's only friend, who stands up for her with the other kids.
(b) A woman who Rex is having an affair with.
(c) A prostitute who lives in the Walls neighborhood, and whose daughter Jeannette is friends with.
(d) Jeannette's imaginary friend.
15. Where are Jeannette's parents living when they move to New York?
(a) As squatters in an abandoned building.
(b) In their own home.
(c) With Lori in her apartment.
(d) In a hostel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeannette find out about her mother's finances in Part 4 that surprises her?
2. Why do Rex and Rose Mary leave the children with their grandparents?
3. What is the condition of the Wells' house like when spring comes in Part 3?
4. When Jeannette is sent out to get her father in Welch, where does she finally find him?
5. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)