|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Jeannette and Lori first live in New York City?
(a) In a flophouse.
(b) With friends.
(c) In a hostel.
(d) In a house that they purchase with their savings.
2. What incident gets Maureen sentenced to one year in the hospital?
(a) She robs a convenience store while on drugs.
(b) She threatens her brother and sisters.
(c) She sets fire to her boyfriend's home.
(d) She stabs her mother during an argument.
3. After Jeannette gets a divorce, what type of life does she choose to live?
(a) A life of luxury.
(b) She decides to devote her life to non-profit work.
(c) A life devoted to her parents.
(d) A simpler life.
4. Why does Rex leave the job that has been arranged for him in Part 4?
(a) Rex doesn't think the job pays enough for what he is doing.
(b) Lori tells him he should quit.
(c) Rose Mary begs him to come back to the city.
(d) He realizes that he can't do the job well.
5. Where does Rex take Jeannette while her mother is gone in Part 3?
(a) To the opera.
(b) To a dance at her school.
(c) To buy a new dress for school.
(d) To a pool hall.
6. How does Jeannette describe her and Lori's first apartment together in New York?
(a) It is bigger than their entire house in Welch.
(b) It's out in the middle of nowhere.
(c) It is very luxurious.
(d) It is run-down and they are miserable.
7. Why does Rex leave home and disappear for several days following the death of his mother?
(a) He is embarrassed that he has lost another job.
(b) He goes to stay with another woman.
(c) He gets into a big fight with Rose Mary about money.
(d) He gets upset at his family for not respecting his mother's funeral.
8. What is the children's sleeping arrangement in their new home in Part 3?
(a) They all sleep in one big bed.
(b) They sleep in one room and make beds out of ropes because there is no furniture.
(c) They finally have their own rooms.
(d) The children decide that they will all sleep together in the shed.
9. What does Jeannette expect her new grandparents to be like?
(a) She has no idea what having a grandparent would be like.
(b) Warm, nurturing, and fun.
(c) Cruel, because that has been her experience.
(d) Serious like her father.
10. Where do Rex and Rose Mary live when they eventually move to New York?
(a) In Lori's apartment.
(b) In a boardinghouse and then a flophouse.
(c) With Jeannette and her boyfriend.
(d) In a homeless shelter.
11. How does Jeannette finance her rent during her college years?
(a) She borrows money from her sister.
(b) She pays for everything with student loans.
(c) She lives in a hostel to save money.
(d) She trades childcare for room and board.
12. Why do the Welch children end up in special education classes?
(a) They can't understand the principal and don't answer his questions correctly.
(b) Their mother tells the school that the children can't read.
(c) The teacher talks to them and decides that they aren't smart.
(d) The children tell the principal that they want to be in slower classes.
13. What ends up happening to the hole the children dig in the backyard in Part 3?
(a) Their father ends up filling it in with empty beer bottles.
(b) It gets filled with the family's trash when it begins to overflow.
(c) It gets flooded and fills with mud during a heavy rain.
(d) The kids use it as a hide out.
14. The owner of the paper that Jeannette works for encourages her to do what?
(a) Go back to her parents.
(b) Take a job at the paper.
(c) Take time off after high school to decide what she wants to do.
(d) Go to college.
15. How do the Thanksgiving guests remember Rex?
(a) With indifference.
(b) As an important force in their lives.
(c) As a man who caused more trouble than he was worth.
(d) With great resentment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Erma's reaction when the children tell their parents about the incident between her and Brian?
2. Where is Jeannette living at the time that her parents move to New York City?
3. What happens that saves Jeannette from having to drop out of school because of financial problems?
4. What is the condition of the Wells' house like when spring comes in Part 3?
5. Why does Jeannette become upset at the man that gives her and her father a ride home from a bar in Part 3?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)