|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jeannette end up stealing from her place of employment?
(a) To get even, when her boss accuses her of being a thief.
(b) Because she feels she deserves to have something nice.
(c) In order to buy food.
(d) To give a gift to her mother.
2. Where does Jeannette attend college?
(b) Columbia University.
(d) Boston College.
3. Where is Jeannette finding food during the family's first winter in their new home in Welch?
(a) She trades homework answers for food from her classmates' lunches.
(b) In the trash can at school.
(c) She is taking food from a neighbor's garden.
(d) She steals from her teacher.
4. The Walls' parents refuse to accept help from their children. Why?
(a) They feel guilty about not providing for their children.
(b) They view homelessness as an 'adventure'.
(c) They believe that they are going to be rich soon.
(d) They want to get out of the situation on their own.
5. Why does Jeannette begin to refuse to go to her uncle's house?
(a) Because she is mad at her grandfather, who also lives there.
(b) Because she wants to help her mother instead.
(c) Because her uncle tried to molest her.
(d) Because she is afraid to leave her siblings at home.
6. In 7th grade, Jeannette finds a sense of belonging by:
(a) Getting a full time job in a nursing home.
(b) Becoming closer friends with Dinitia.
(c) Working for the school newspaper and a small local paper.
(d) Finally finding a group of friends.
7. Why does Jeannette confront her mother and say she is acting like a child?
(a) Because her mother has quit her job again.
(b) Her mother is angry at Lori and ignoring her.
(c) Her mother has been spending money on gambling.
(d) Because her mother has been staying out late every night.
8. For what purpose do Jeannette and Brian start digging a large hole in the backyard?
(a) They decide to make a pet cemetery for their dogs and cats.
(b) They want to help Rex build the foundation for the glass castle.
(c) They hide all of their prized possessions in it.
(d) They want to have a place to go and hide by themselves to talk.
9. What does Jeannette tell her parents about the social worker visiting the house?
(a) That they need to do something to help keep the family together.
(b) That she told the social worker to go away.
(c) That she told the social worker the truth about what is going on in the home.
(d) That she hopes that the social workers take her to a new home.
10. What is Brian's occupation in Part 4?
(c) Police officer.
11. How do Grandpa and Uncle Stanley react to Erma?
(a) They don't stand up to her.
(b) They yell at her a lot.
(c) They are embarrassed by her.
(d) They are abusive towards her.
12. Where is Rose Mary living at the time of the Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) In her own apartment.
(b) In the same abandoned apartment building that she and Rex had been squatting in for years.
(c) In Lori's apartment.
(d) In a women's shelter.
13. How does Jeannette finance her rent during her college years?
(a) She trades childcare for room and board.
(b) She pays for everything with student loans.
(c) She lives in a hostel to save money.
(d) She borrows money from her sister.
14. What is Brian doing as he enters adolescence?
(a) He has left home and the family has not heard from him.
(b) He is getting into trouble and frequently involved in fights.
(c) He stays in his room alone all of the time but does well in school.
(d) Doing better in school and planning for graduation.
15. What happens to the money that Jeannette is supposed to use to feed the family in Part 3?
(a) Her brother and sisters take it before she can buy groceries.
(b) She wastes it all on things for the house.
(c) It only lasts a few weeks.
(d) The kids are able to make it last until their mother returns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jeannette's occupation in New York in Part 4?
2. How does Erma differ from Grandma Smith?
3. What does Rex tell Jeannette when he takes her to the bus station in Part 3?
4. Where do the children go to shower after there is no longer any bathroom in their house?
5. Why do the Welch children end up in special education classes?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)